PDA

View Full Version : Darker Parasites

CanaanAzure
Nov 21, 2013, 02:30 AM
I don't really understand the point to them.
Does story explain it?

I'd just like to know the all around purpose for them since they confuse me so much xD
Especially when I see a darker with a parasite.
Could somebody please explain or something? Ahaha

MiraculousNova
Nov 21, 2013, 02:35 AM
Uhh I dunno, I mean, it's supposed to be a sign of infection that makes native creatures more hostile towards ARKS (hence why they deal more damage and are stronger, faster, etc).

Supposedly, an infected native creature becomes more and more violent (reason for the different 'stages' of infection) until it eventually turns into a Darker itself.

What's NOT explained is why Darkers themselves can get infected.
Personally, me and a friend came to the conclusion that infected Darkers are basically 'evolving' to their next tier, so an infected Dagan becomes a Dagan Nero with enough time. Doesn't really explain why rare versions of Darkers can get infected too...

Uh, I guess we should just conclude that they have some unknown form beyond their current one that we cannot yet see because we kill them too fast before they can evolve?

Well, it's either that, or we can just say that the lore in PSO isn't exactly its strong point.
Meh.

Zorua
Nov 21, 2013, 02:38 AM
This has confused me for the longest time. I used to think it was the darker corruption infecting enemies, Like Hi Loga from the story.
That, however, doesn't make too much sense in retrospect. The corrupted enemies don't attack enemies of the same kind as them and will even attack darkers if left alone. Then there's the darkers with parasites... I guess the profound darkness wants darker darkers or something o~o

Zorafim
Nov 21, 2013, 02:44 AM
Story wise, nearly every enemy we fight is darker infected. I think the only exceptions are mechs (which is not to say they're never infected, but rather they're simply programmed to kill. And I may be wrong there). You will note that this doesn't explain why enemies fight darkers, or why darkers are infected.

Something to note though, is that we're probably putting more thought into the lore than Sega is, so, there's that.

Kondibon
Nov 21, 2013, 02:51 AM
Zorafim is right. All the enemies are infected. Best I can tell is that the boosted ones are just that. Boosted. It's not something the darkers can control, just a side effect or something. Remember that Darkers are technically all just creatures that got infected in the first place so it makes sense that some of them might end up boosted I guess.

When it stops making sense is in SH when the boost things look like PHOTON BEASTS! THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN!? D:

Phantom Rain
Nov 21, 2013, 03:02 AM
it means the Photon beasts are behind everything and are the true villains. ARKS never saw it coming

Kondibon
Nov 21, 2013, 03:10 AM
it means the Photon beasts are behind everything and are the true villains. ARKS never saw it coming

Joking asside it's hinted that the Mags (and by extention photon blasts) were created by the same people who made the chrome dragons, and Dumen, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mags were made from whatever those things are somehow.

strikerhunter
Nov 21, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joking asside it's hinted that the Mags (and by extention photon blasts) were created by the same people who made the chrome dragons, and Dumen, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mags were made from whatever those things are somehow.

MAGs, chrome, casts, dueman, etc. where all made by the ARKs at the Void Facility.

As for the infection stuffs:

All the natives of each planet are under darker influence but not infection. I came into theory that it's rather a corruption from the darker influence rather than an infection that is the cause of the boost/mutation, so the being is still itself but is corrupted to be stronger thus explains for darkers themselves as well.

Also kinda explains the mutation affix as well.

The native's strength is mutated under darker influence while not changing it's current form so that source of strength is create into an object that provides the strength in which is made by the already darker influence the native had thus reasoning why an infected mob doesn't attack its own kind.

Phantom Rain
Nov 21, 2013, 03:29 AM
iirc the PB's in pso1 looked a bit like those "Darkers" (for lack of a better term) i dont know if they explain it in that one either.

landman
Nov 21, 2013, 04:15 AM
Not all Dragonkin are infected, they fight between clans, and of course they fight Arks.

Kilich
Nov 21, 2013, 04:47 AM
Probably when they need to mind control somebody without waiting for them to mutate enough. And to make some Darkers stronger/harder/better.
You can think of them as Darker Mags.

Raspeyer
Nov 21, 2013, 05:08 AM
I always thouught of the infected darkers as having cancer. The infections job is to turn natives into darkers but it sometimes goes haywire. The dandelion looking infection gives me the heeby jeebies when I see them on the heads of creatures.

GradationAir
Nov 21, 2013, 05:44 AM
MAGs, chrome, casts, dueman, etc. where all made by the ARKs at the Void Facility.

As for the infection stuffs:

All the natives of each planet are under darker influence but not infection. I came into theory that it's rather a corruption from the darker influence rather than an infection that is the cause of the boost/mutation, so the being is still itself but is corrupted to be stronger thus explains for darkers themselves as well.

Also kinda explains the mutation affix as well.

The native's strength is mutated under darker influence while not changing it's current form so that source of strength is create into an object that provides the strength in which is made by the already darker influence the native had thus reasoning why an infected mob doesn't attack its own kind.

AFAIK Mutation doesn't actually have anything to do with dark boosted, but prefix in the enemy name(which is actually separate from actual dark core, you can check it out yourself everytime you fight a dark boost, may not have something extra in their name, and vice versa).

Shinamori
Nov 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
I thought infected Darkers were infected to boost their power. Like how an (some) athlete takes steroids.

xillia000
Nov 21, 2013, 09:02 AM
Darker Parasites are like virus, and they feed on the host(ie the infected). As the parasites continue to feed on the host, parts of the host become uncontrollable. This means that the darker parasites have control over parts of the body. Some lose their ability to think, etc. Therefore the Arks are fighting other species that are infected by the darker parasites, because if they don't, those species will become extinct. And darkers' are the reason why Arks existed. The organisation was created to combat darkers.

The darkers can become infected by the darker parasite is because its just like a disease, except they are immune to it. However, its because there are immunity that there are mutations. Those darker parasites become even stronger to take control of the hosts body, and just like any virus, it spreads. Therefore, we see a lot of different darker parasites.

Hope that explains some of it XD

CanaanAzure
Nov 22, 2013, 01:10 AM
Darker Parasites are like virus, and they feed on the host(ie the infected). As the parasites continue to feed on the host, parts of the host become uncontrollable. This means that the darker parasites have control over parts of the body. Some lose their ability to think, etc. Therefore the Arks are fighting other species that are infected by the darker parasites, because if they don't, those species will become extinct. And darkers' are the reason why Arks existed. The organisation was created to combat darkers.

The darkers can become infected by the darker parasite is because its just like a disease, except they are immune to it. However, its because there are immunity that there are mutations. Those darker parasites become even stronger to take control of the hosts body, and just like any virus, it spreads. Therefore, we see a lot of different darker parasites.

Hope that explains some of it XD

Gahh.
That explains alot.
I should've just asked you in the first place. xD

I need to get the story patch damn it. I found a lot of interesting information from this. xD

Daiyousei
Nov 22, 2013, 11:28 AM
An interesting real world thing to look up is the Cordyceps fungus. It takes over the mind and body of ants.