PDA

View Full Version : I miss the classic lobby music

LunSei
Nov 22, 2013, 05:32 PM
Anybody else?

I don't even know when was the last time I heard the original lobby theme. I don't play this game regularly, but whenever I do, it appears there's always some loooong seasonal event going on.... Valentine.... Halloween...

The real problem is that while the classic lobby music is relaxing and atmospherical, these special season themes constantly hammer you and won't leave, like a bad summer holiday hit.

Is the original lobby music coming back?

RadiantLegend
Nov 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
After new year...oh wait, febr...valentines....white day...ah summer time.

LunSei
Nov 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
After new year...oh wait, febr...valentines....white day...ah summer time.

Why'd they have to ruin it? :-?

It's not a bad idea at all to have seasonal events... but standard lobby doesn't even exist anymore! New players didn't even ever see the normal lobby!

EvilMag
Nov 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
Yeah these lobby events suck. I mean for fuck sakes halloween event is ending on the day before thanksgiving. >_>

BIG OLAF
Nov 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
They need to have Day Dawns in the lobby. Shit I love that song. Plus, it'll make all the nostalgiafags happy, too.

NoiseHERO
Nov 22, 2013, 05:47 PM
Their recycled lobby themes make me miss PSU.

They need to have Day Dawns in the lobby. Shit I love that song. Plus, it'll make all the nostalgiafags happy, too.

Also this.

RadiantLegend
Nov 22, 2013, 05:49 PM
I'll be all over that nostalgic feeling.

Gardios
Nov 22, 2013, 06:08 PM
For some reason, the summer lobby music (from PSU?) makes me feel nostalgic.

I don't know why.

Link1275
Nov 22, 2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah these lobby events suck. I mean for fuck sakes halloween event is ending on the day before thanksgiving. >_>
They don't have Thanksgiving in Japan, not the way that Americans and Canadians(who actually celebrate it in October and do much differently) do anyways and for a different purpose if they do have such a holiday.

Zyrusticae
Nov 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
They should at least give the option to turn off the event music. Wouldn't be that hard, would it?

I don't mind the lobby decorations as much as the fact that, yeah, you really do never get to hear the regular lobby music...

BIG OLAF
Nov 22, 2013, 06:13 PM
They don't have Thanksgiving in Japan, not the way that Americans and Canadians(who actually celebrate it in October and do much differently) do anyways and for a different purpose if they do have such a holiday.

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a Halloween lobby in [very] late November.

But, SEGA has always been painfully behind on seasonal lobby changes.

Link1275
Nov 22, 2013, 06:17 PM
Doesn't change the fact that it's still a Halloween lobby in [very] late November.

But, SEGA has always been painfully behind on seasonal lobby changes.
No it doesn't change the fact, nor does it excuse it. Though I suspect that they do it intentionally so that people have seasonal quests to run all year round. They hope that this will keep people at the level cap pre-occupied while they make more content. You can see tyrannical dictators doing the same thing with everything from religion to sports and other things to distract the people from what is really going on, it's usually quite a successful strategy give them something entertaining/important and they'll ignore the oppression for a few hundred years or so until they get bored and start to question again.

gigawuts
Nov 22, 2013, 06:45 PM

I'm just waiting for some KFC ad on repeat for thanksgiving through christmas lobby music

Avereth CAST
Nov 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
Knowing Sega the events are literally tied into the seasonal music and lobby being there, and they literally cannot take one down without taking all of it down. If you want to hear the normal lobby music you have to use npc events from matterboard to talk to the npcs in scenes where it loads the normal music in.

I had Day Dawns playing in my room until the Skies of Arcadia music came out because it is just such a nice theme to have playing.

@Gigawuts
Maybe they'll play a KFC ad on the display monitors all over the lobby on repeat. And put it into the loading screen adverts. I could totally see them doing that. ;)

Omega-z
Nov 22, 2013, 10:13 PM
I believe that only the beginning-mid September is the only time the normal lobby is even around between the Summer Rappy one and the Moon Rabbit/Autumn one. So like 2 weeks so far that I can remember.

strikerhunter
Nov 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
Find original lobby music, burn it so that you can listen to it whenever you want, then mute PSO2's BGM, problem solved if ya hate the current or any seasonal lobby music as much as I do. (anniversary one was the worst)

Knowing Sega, the normal lobby probably won't be back until between White Day and the Summer or like a one or 2 week period between Valentine's/White Day & Christmas/Valentine's.

Link1275
Nov 22, 2013, 11:10 PM
The last time I remember the lobby having a normal theme for a long period of time was when they hadn't even had the first seasonal event yet. Ie, right after the game came out, but before something like August I believe.

Krimson
Nov 23, 2013, 03:47 AM
Halloween music is bleh...
I usually turn it off for my own music :3

Following my example you could... look up the original lobby music, download and play that instead of annoying Halloween theme though tbh... I liked the calm white day music most, so relaxed, or it could have just been lobby design. Idr

EvilMag
Nov 23, 2013, 03:54 AM
Guess I'll give my thoughts on each lobby music

New Years: NEVER...FUCKING...AGAIN
Valentines: I was already annoyed at the music in PSO1 so its even more annoying on here
White Day: What is this, Peanuts?
Cherry Blossom: Well this is nice music. Then again I like most PSU music
Easter: God fuck this song
Wedding: Was nice the first time after that it got annoying
Sonic event: Makes me now hate City Escape music and it was a good song before this event came along. :|
Neudeiz: so goooooooooodddddd
Summer: I came on PSO2 to kill shit, not watch the weather channel.
Moon Bunny: Same opinion with Wedding.
Halloween: GO THE FUCK AWAY
Arks: I feel like a hero now. I really enjoy it. I just wish we could get more original lobby themes rather than just recycle ones from previous games.
Christmas: Super Mario Kart/Pangya-ish music is really good.

Macman
Nov 23, 2013, 06:41 AM
Arks Lobby music drives me insane and it's right around the corner... :disapprove:

Kondibon
Nov 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
No it doesn't change the fact, nor does it excuse it. Though I suspect that they do it intentionally so that people have seasonal quests to run all year round. They hope that this will keep people at the level cap pre-occupied while they make more content. You can see tyrannical dictators doing the same thing with everything from religion to sports and other things to distract the people from what is really going on, it's usually quite a successful strategy give them something entertaining/important and they'll ignore the oppression for a few hundred years or so until they get bored and start to question again.Everything makes sense now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses)

To be honest, it's not like PSO2 is the only game that does this, There's almost always events running in Mabinogi, GW2 has the living story stuff, etc. It would be nice to hear the old lobby music or whatever, but it's no skin off my back since I don't really idle in the lobby anyway.

EDIT: at the end of the day, it's only even a problem if they're doing it to the detriment of actual content updates and bugfixes. Something Sega and Devcat are both guilty of. Guildwars two gets plenty of balance updates and bugfixes, even if they're minor or don't amount to much, at least they're trying. At the end of the day, we're all playing the game to be entertained so if they use events to give us something to do there's nothing inherently wrong with that. They just need to pull some of that back to work on actual fixes faster.

Endler
Nov 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
Mute BGM,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2LtVO9HT4 on infinite loop. Problem solved.

Reiketsu
Nov 23, 2013, 09:03 AM
I actually find the standard lobby theme to be the most boring one (and New Year's the most annoying one), so I'm fine with seasonal lobby themes constantly replacing it.
Although, 80% of the time I play, I have the game's music muted and listen to something else, anyways, so I don't really care about lobby music. I do, however, look forward to the Christmas lobby. From all the lobby themes we got, I like that one the most.

gigawuts
Nov 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
They should only play the holiday music around the holiday thingy in the shops area.

Or give an option not to play it at all, separate from the music volume slider. Just a checkbox that says "Holiday Music [_]"

Problem solved.

strikerhunter
Nov 23, 2013, 12:11 PM
Guess I'll give my thoughts on each lobby music

New Years: NEVER...FUCKING...AGAIN
Valentines: I was already annoyed at the music in PSO1 so its even more annoying on here
White Day: What is this, Peanuts?
Cherry Blossom: Well this is nice music. Then again I like most PSU music
Easter: God fuck this song
Wedding: Was nice the first time after that it got annoying
Sonic event: Makes me now hate City Escape music and it was a good song before this event came along. :|
Neudeiz: so goooooooooodddddd
Summer: I came on PSO2 to kill shit, not watch the weather channel.
Moon Bunny: Same opinion with Wedding.
Halloween: GO THE FUCK AWAY
Arks: I feel like a hero now. I really enjoy it. I just wish we could get more original lobby themes rather than just recycle ones from previous games.
Christmas: Super Mario Kart/Pangya-ish music is really good.

^ This soooo much.

Sega mad me hate City Escape a lot now, the PSU-related songs where the better ones, and the only PSO2 (Arks) is meh enough to listen to.

Zyrusticae
Nov 23, 2013, 04:45 PM
Alright, if you want the regular lobby music, I went ahead and uploaded the one on the OST for yas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xQvMbkYbw

LunSei
Nov 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks to those who uploaded/linked the original lobby theme! ^^
But I don't want to hear it on an eternal loop... I actually happen to like many of the mission themes.
I just want it to return to the lobby sometime, instead of those grating seasonal themes that never go away!

As someone mentioned, putting the standard lobby theme in the ship access area and the seasonal theme in the shop area would be the best solution... but Sega isn't gonna do that.

Is there a way to contact Sega about this? It's not like it'll do anything, I know. But might as well just point it out.

Avereth CAST
Nov 23, 2013, 05:02 PM
I really liked in the previous PSO how they made it so much easier to swap music files around so I could do things like play Strangeblue in mines because it was such a fun song and replace the character select music with Image of a Hero because that song was amazing.

Here you have to mess with things that keep getting themselves patched over in convoluted ways.

I would be so great if games in general made it easy for their users to set up custom area music lists to tune the game music in ways beneficial to enjoyment.

gigawuts
Nov 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Alright, if you want the regular lobby music, I went ahead and uploaded the one on the OST for yas.

Phantasy Star Online 2 OST Vol.1 - Day Stream (Lobby) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xQvMbkYbw)

yay, thanks

True story: I actually get a slight bit of nostalgia when I first hear this. It briefly sends me back to a time when I had just signed up for a game a few weeks earlier, and almost nothing was wrong with it, and it was everything I wanted it to be (except HU was UP).

Nayati
Nov 24, 2013, 03:40 AM
In my opinion, it should have been done as they did with PSO Episode 3.
In which there was a jukebox in the lobby and you could change the lobby's music with it for a small fee ( 100 meseta ).

Or if we had a jukebox in the lobby, it could have been done so that the lobby's jukebox in PSO2 could play the same music as your My Room jukebox.
This would solve the "boring" lobby music, and your music disks would have more use, being able to be listened to outside your room.

Zipzo
Nov 24, 2013, 04:04 AM
I'm not currently very active but I had this same feeling. The original lobby music rings the best with me ears and I felt like...you never fucking heard it up for more than a few days before some other lobby event hit and now it's something else.

WildarmsRE5
Nov 24, 2013, 04:08 AM
.______.

I'm the only one who prefers Bayonetta music.

.______.