PDA

View Full Version : So why is Sega so obsessed with Hisako Kanemoto?

Takatsuki
Dec 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
She has five player voices. There's 2 that come with the game by default, and then with the newest voice ticket update there is now a total of three voice tickets of her (8, 40 and 41 respectively).

I like her voice and all (even though she is a horrible person IRL), but it seems kind of crazy that she has FIVE player voices. Plus she voices a major NPC character, Fourier.

Lostbob117
Dec 11, 2013, 09:05 PM
No, that's not crazy at all.

Chik'Tikka
Dec 12, 2013, 06:31 AM
hmm... someone should update Wikipedia for her+^_^+ no mention of PSO2 VA at all, also, what makes her horrible IRL?? you know her or something??

xillia000
Dec 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
I just want the voices of Mizuki Nana, Sawashiro Miyuki, Imai Asami in the game....
I know it's not going to happen though. :(

Horo The Wise Wolf
Dec 12, 2013, 07:34 AM
Sega is almost as crazy for Kana Hanazawa as well.

BIG OLAF
Dec 12, 2013, 07:37 AM
I don't know who any of these people are. Are they like famous animu voice actors or some shit?

MetalMarth
Dec 12, 2013, 08:09 AM
I don't know who any of these people are. Are they like famous animu voice actors or some shit?

Im confused as well... ill just sit back and watch!

Zephryl
Dec 12, 2013, 08:11 AM
Can't say it bothers me, so long as the voices are unique.

That does remind me though, I should look into finding a good voice to unlock...

Horo The Wise Wolf
Dec 12, 2013, 08:41 AM

Well this is Kana Hanazawa's Voice acting list:
http://myanimelist.net/people/185/Kana_Hanazawa

While not as big, here is the person at hand:

http://myanimelist.net/people/8555/

gigawuts
Dec 12, 2013, 08:46 AM
Plus she voices a major NPC character, Fourier.

If anything my waifu doesn't have enough voices.

MimiChan
Dec 12, 2013, 09:02 AM
Maybe because those VA likes PSO2 as well and charge cheaper for their service?

Punisher106
Dec 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised nobody brought up Tetsuya Kakihara's new voice in this past update.

Sayara
Dec 12, 2013, 01:40 PM
For some voice actress so dang popular. I don't know a single goddamn role she's been in!
Hurrah !

MetalMarth
Dec 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
For some voice actress so dang popular. I don't know a single goddamn role she's been in!
Hurrah !

Hurrah!

Shinamori
Dec 12, 2013, 02:01 PM
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=484563&show=0
Google "Hisako Kanemoto bully"

This happened with the person in question.

Takatsuki
Dec 12, 2013, 02:04 PM
hmm... someone should update Wikipedia for her+^_^+ no mention of PSO2 VA at all, also, what makes her horrible IRL?? you know her or something??

No no, but she was involved in something a while back that really speaks a lot about her personal character.

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. It may sound irrelevant at first but you'll see where she comes in eventually.

So a while back there was an anime called Kokoro Connect. The production company held auditions for a character that would appear in a later episode in the series in a sort of one-off role. Not a major role, but something that would help a new voice actor get his foot in the door.

So, the person who won the audition was this guy. I can't remember his name, but he used to be a pro fighting game player and commentator in Japan. But he quit doing that so he could pursue his dream of being a voice actor. He was so happy that he finally got a voice acting role, even if it was a small one.

So, he goes into the studio, records some lines and then that's it. They tell him that he's gonna appear with the other voice actors for Kokoro Connect at a meet & greet stage show, where they can talk to the fans and whatnot.

So the day of the stage show comes and the producers introduce all the voice actors one by one. Then they introduce the new guy as a PR manager. He's confused and says that he's the voice of so-and so, and then they finally drop the bomb on him.

They tell him that this was all a great big practical joke. There is no such role. No such character exists. All that recording he did wasn't even recorded. Ha ha! We fooled you good! That's what they think.

So now he's standing on a stage, next to real major voice actors, in front of a crowd of fans, and he's just been humiliated. Most of the production company knew exactly what was going on and they set him up for failure and embarrassment.

But the voice actors had no idea. None of them had been informed about any of this. They were all shocked and appalled that the producers would humiliate someone in such a way. Every one of them.

...Except Hisako Kanemoto.

Who thought it was the most hilarious thing she had ever seen in her life. As soon as she found out on stage, she was laughing at him, mocking him and telling him that he was a terrible voice actor and that he shouldn't have expected anything less than something like this.

After everyone was literally booed offstage (even the fans were upset at them for doing this), Hisako took to Twitter and continued to mock the poor guy for hours on end, before she issued an apology (obviously a damage control attempt), but the damage was done.

Japanese Otaku can be pretty obsessive when it comes to voice actors, and they basically declared genocide on everything that had to do with Hisako Kanemoto and the other people responsible for doing this to this poor guy. They destroyed Blu Rays, figures, etc. They had a boycott going on anything that was worked on by anyone involved. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if Hisako hadn't fanned the flames of hate by mocking the guy. No one else did, not even the people actually responsible for the prank.

And that... is why Hisako Kanemoto is a terrible person.

Touka
Dec 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
Never knew about the incident posted above but it's very pathetic considering voice actors get paid chump change(even if they have a ton of lines).

Back on to the subject she either likes the game or is desperate for voice work?Idk.

Celille
Dec 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
Well considering people like Aoi Yuuki (Claris) and Tobita Nobuo (Gettemhult?) have like 10 voice tickets I wouldn't consider SEGA to be "obsessed" with her.

Also the guy's name who got bullied is Mitsuhio Ichiki. Hes been a voice actor for a while and tbh I think he sounds too plain to be anything other than a minor character. I will say that what the studio/VA's did wasn't a nice thing to do, but whatever, shit already happened and I don't care for either party involved.

As for being a pro gamer commentator (I can't find any videos of him playing), hes no yipes or nuki so I don't feel like I'd get hyped to him commentating.

gigawuts
Dec 12, 2013, 03:31 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]No no, but she was involved in something a while back that really speaks a lot about her personal character.

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. It may sound irrelevant at first but you'll see where she comes in eventually.

So a while back there was an anime called Kokoro Connect. The production company held auditions for a character that would appear in a later episode in the series in a sort of one-off role. Not a major role, but something that would help a new voice actor get his foot in the door.

So, the person who won the audition was this guy. I can't remember his name, but he used to be a pro fighting game player and commentator in Japan. But he quit doing that so he could pursue his dream of being a voice actor. He was so happy that he finally got a voice acting role, even if it was a small one.

So, he goes into the studio, records some lines and then that's it. They tell him that he's gonna appear with the other voice actors for Kokoro Connect at a meet & greet stage show, where they can talk to the fans and whatnot.

So the day of the stage show comes and the producers introduce all the voice actors one by one. Then they introduce the new guy as a PR manager. He's confused and says that he's the voice of so-and so, and then they finally drop the bomb on him.

They tell him that this was all a great big practical joke. There is no such role. No such character exists. All that recording he did wasn't even recorded. Ha ha! We fooled you good! That's what they think.

So now he's standing on a stage, next to real major voice actors, in front of a crowd of fans, and he's just been humiliated. Most of the production company knew exactly what was going on and they set him up for failure and embarrassment.

But the voice actors had no idea. None of them had been informed about any of this. They were all shocked and appalled that the producers would humiliate someone in such a way. Every one of them.

Who thought it was the most hilarious thing she had ever seen in her life. As soon as she found out on stage, she was laughing at him, mocking him and telling him that he was a terrible voice actor and that he shouldn't have expected anything less than something like this.

After everyone was literally booed offstage (even the fans were upset at them for doing this), Hisako took to Twitter and continued to mock the poor guy for hours on end, before she issued an apology (obviously a damage control attempt), but the damage was done.

Japanese Otaku can be pretty obsessive when it comes to voice actors, and they basically declared genocide on everything that had to do with Hisako Kanemoto and the other people responsible for doing this to this poor guy. They destroyed Blu Rays, figures, etc. They had a boycott going on anything that was worked on by anyone involved. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if Hisako hadn't fanned the flames of hate by mocking the guy. No one else did, not even the people actually responsible for the prank.

And that... is why Hisako Kanemoto is a terrible person.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Wow so that's reprehensible.

TaigaUC
Dec 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
I saw the opening post and looked it up myself.
http://www.sutoraikuanime.com/2012/09/kokoro-connect-scandal.html
Can't believe I never heard about it. Now I know why people seemed to hate Kokoro Connect.

I don't think SEGA is favoring any specific seiyuu.
It seems more like they're just reusing the same few people over and over.
Like that guy who does Jean's voice. His voice kinda grates on me, and they seem to keep reusing him.

I just want the voices of Mizuki Nana, Sawashiro Miyuki, Imai Asami in the game....
I know it's not going to happen though. :(

I still want Norio Wakamoto.

Sega is almost as crazy for Kana Hanazawa as well.

Because she's great.

EvilMag
Dec 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
So you mean to say its not just SoA that hires people off the street?

The funny thing is that they were able to get Wakamoto for PSU and yet not for this game?

solid_snark
Dec 12, 2013, 04:36 PM
Say what you will about Kokoro Connect (I liked the show, but the prank was pretty dickish), but it doesn't seem to have affected Kanemoto's career all that much. She's had at least 3 lead rolls in shows this year (Makoto in Gingitsune, Kotoura in Kotoura-san, and Amy in Gargantia). Maybe otaku have short memories...

Chik'Tikka
Dec 12, 2013, 05:41 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
No no, but she was involved in something a while back that really speaks a lot about her personal character.

And that... is why Hisako Kanemoto is a terrible person.[/SPOILER-BOX]

ok.. wow, if American Justice System can charge a 6 year old for sexual harassment (kissing another 6 yr old girl's hand, Disney Prince style), i can only imagine the huge amount of money that poor guy would win suing his idiot employers+^_^+

BIG OLAF
Dec 12, 2013, 05:58 PM
I don't know what constitutes as a 'good voice actor' to Miss Kanemoto, since pretty much every Japanese anime I've ever seen for even 5 minutes has everyone sounding exactly the same. When you're speaking Japanese, I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of accenting or ways you can alter your voice in the same manner as, for instance, European languages.

Not to say I don't think Japanese voice actors aren't talented in their own right, but I just don't hear any diversity in any of the voices besides the obvious (male/female, sane/insane, evil/good, etc.).

moeri
Dec 12, 2013, 06:10 PM
I don't know what constitutes as a 'good voice actor' to Miss Kanemoto, since pretty much every Japanese anime I've ever seen for even 5 minutes has everyone sounding exactly the same. When you're speaking Japanese, I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of accenting or ways you can alter your voice in the same manner as, for instance, European languages.

Not to say I don't think Japanese voice actors aren't talented in their own right, but I just don't hear any diversity in any of the voices besides the obvious (male/female, sane/insane, evil/good, etc.).

Personally I can recognize a handful of voice actors by there voice, so at least to me they do not all sound the same.

I am not very familiar with "what" makes them sound different.

Though I do know there are things such as raspy voices, and such that make a few fairly identifiable. Wakamoto is probably the most identifiable voice for me, just because wow it is so "different."

Though, I know nothing of the trials and tribulations of a voice actor/actress so ehh... I know I like them, as opposed to more normal voices, but that could probably be more about familiarity and linking the voice to my favorite characters.

NoiseHERO
Dec 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
I actually get kind of annoyed hearing same voice actors over and over.

And let me tell you the same ones definitely pop up a lot, especially in terms of X popular anime of the season.

That's probably why it's easy to think they all sound the same, and even when they're not the same.... They are pretty much acting the same. Not that there's much to work with since manga and anime gets super fucking derivative and tropey like anything else in predictable pop culture.

Demonare
Dec 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
Well, it's that and the fact that most voice actors are nearly defined by the role they're best known for, so you'll generally hear a particular actor playing what's essentially the same character across different anime.

moeri
Dec 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
I actually get kind of annoyed hearing same voice actors over and over.

And let me tell you the same ones definitely pop up a lot, especially in terms of X popular anime of the season.

That's probably why it's easy to think they all sound the same, and even when they're not the same.... They are pretty much acting the same. Not that there's much to work with since manga and anime gets super fucking derivative and tropey like anything else in predictable pop culture.

While I personally like anime, have grown attached to the voices, like derivative works, and the tropeyness. Everything you say here is definitely true.

Lostbob117
Dec 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
I think it's common for the same VA to play multiple roles in a game.

Example: League of Legends champions

Ezreal, Jarvan, and Graves are voiced by the same person.

So yeah.

gigawuts
Dec 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
I think it's common for the same VA to play multiple roles in a game.

Example: League of Legends champions

Ezreal, Jarvan, and Graves are voiced by the same person.

So yeah.

More than games...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_West

Billy West's roles in Futurama include Philip J. Fry, Professor Hubert Farnsworth, Dr. Zoidberg and Zapp Brannigan, as well as various other incidental characters. As he and other Futurama cast and crew point out in DVD commentaries, West voiced so many characters throughout the series that conversations are often held entirely between characters he is voicing.
It's actually not that uncommon.

NoiseHERO
Dec 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
While I personally like anime, have grown attached to the voices, like derivative works, and the tropeyness. Everything you say here is definitely true.

I've somehow grown up on it, and I blame the sci-fi channel. And as much as I loved anime and as much has influenced me artistically and imaginatively, it's mostly just become mindless mass produced throwaway entertainment like a new FOX tv show these days. And it's increasingly difficult to have much respect for a lot of modern animes.

Even trying to watch one that you KNOW if going to be terrible. It somehow surprises me and turns out worst than I was expecting, and I'd wish you never watched it.(Sword art online) So I find it easy to understand when someone whose seen less than a dozen animes wonder what the hype is all about over these "stupid japanese cartoons that these weaboos won't shut up about."

Back on the topic of Voice acting:
I never remember her name... but every time I hear her voice... it's always a giant red flag telling me to make a U-turn.

http://myanimelist.net/people/8/Rie_Kugimiya

Ugh... Tsunderes...

moeri
Dec 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
I've somehow grown up on it, and I blame the sci-fi channel. And as much as I loved anime and as much has influenced me artistically and imaginatively, it's mostly just become mindless mass produced throwaway entertainment like a new FOX tv show these days. And it's increasingly difficult to have much respect for a lot of modern animes.

Even trying to watch one that you KNOW if going to be terrible. It somehow surprises me and turns out worst than I was expecting, and I'd wish you never watched it.(Sword art online) So I find it easy to understand when someone whose seen less than a dozen animes wonder what the hype is all about over these "stupid japanese cartoons that these weaboos won't shut up about."

Back on the topic of Voice acting:
I never remember her name... but every time I hear her voice... it's always a giant red flag telling me to make a U-turn.

http://myanimelist.net/people/8/Rie_Kugimiya

Ugh... Tsunderes...

Sword art online... was a disappointment, at least the second arc anyway.

Though, yeah "most" anime aren't going to be of the highest quality. The best one I have seen semi-recently is "The Garden of Words." The Madoka movie was also very good, though I am biased on that one.

I like tsunderes and Rie Kugimiya T.T

Touka
Dec 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
Well, it's that and the fact that most voice actors are nearly defined by the role they're best known for, so you'll generally hear a particular actor playing what's essentially the same character across different anime.

This is very true.Rie Kugimiya is pretty much eternally typecast as the annoying tsundere.The only role of hers that I know that isn't like that is Alphonse from Full Metal Alchemist.

Kikikiki
Dec 12, 2013, 07:47 PM
>discussing 2013 anime

Oh come on, everything is shit.

The Walrus
Dec 12, 2013, 07:49 PM
In your opinion

Kikikiki
Dec 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
Or maybe you're too incompetent to distinguish between good and bad.

The Walrus
Dec 12, 2013, 07:55 PM
Oh lord it's gonna be like that is it?

Kikikiki
Dec 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
Don't worry I'm pretty sure Mike is going to go in and delete this anyway.

The Walrus
Dec 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
Wouldn't surprise me

Alenoir
Dec 12, 2013, 08:03 PM
[spoiler-box]No no, but she was involved in something a while back that really speaks a lot about her personal character.

And that... is why Hisako Kanemoto is a terrible person.[/spoiler-box]

Just a small correction.

Kanemoto Hisako was not actually at the showing where this whole thing happened. That was Oogame Asuka. Here's a matome wiki (http://www49.atwiki.jp/kokoro-ijimect/) if you want some timeline/people involved/reaction and whatnot, maybe even some links to the said videos if they're not deleted yet.

ShinMaruku
Dec 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
If anything my waifu doesn't have enough voices.

Is Lisa your waifu too? http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/emoticon-2867-src-f02f9d40f66f0840-28x28.png

Bozhestvo
Dec 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
>discussing 2013 anime

Oh come on, everything is shit.

Attack on Titan was not. But everything else... ^^;