PDA

View Full Version : English Release?

Padium
Dec 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
Just wondering whether or not the English release should be viewed as something that is actually happening, or vapourware a la Starcraft Ghost?

yoshiblue
Dec 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
Nobody really knows. We can only guess and grasp at rumors.

UnLucky
Dec 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
Click here for the latest news and updates on the English release of Phantasy Star Online 2 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3071219&postcount=407)

Padium
Dec 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
Click here for the latest news and updates on the English release of Phantasy Star Online 2 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3071219&postcount=407)

Should mention I'm already using this xD Can't read enough kanji not to.

I have friends that will not play until there is an official English release sadly. Hoping that by crushing their dreams, I can convert them to the dark side... Muahahahaha...

KazukiQZ
Dec 14, 2013, 05:06 PM
There's one in near future, will soon be published by Asiasoft.

UnLucky
Dec 14, 2013, 05:07 PM
So far they haven't officially canceled the NA/EU release yet.

I'd wait for that Southeast Asia release for further news (but don't hold your breath)

Shinureal
Dec 14, 2013, 06:42 PM
Personally, I don't care anymore; they are taking so long that I'm already deep into the actual jp version and don't wanna start over.

Edson Drake
Dec 14, 2013, 06:51 PM
English release? Isn't there one on that we are playing already?

Really, I tell this to all my friends: quit waiting for the western release, and play the game right now, you are missing out the fun, and setting yourself up for disppointment when(and if) the western release comes out.

The Walrus
Dec 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
It ain't gonna happen

Priest
Dec 15, 2013, 02:41 AM
Oh, you will get an English release.. but it will be mobile only!

Lostbob117
Dec 15, 2013, 03:48 AM
They keep giving us dates and failing at those dates.

Zorafim
Dec 15, 2013, 04:53 AM
If there is one, I wouldn't want to play it. If they're going to take more than a year just to release it, they obviously aren't putting much effort into it. And I know what it's like to play a Sega RPG with no effort put in to it.

Avereth CAST
Dec 15, 2013, 05:20 AM
At least I still have videos of Starcraft: Ghost gameplay. :P
English release is smoke and mirrors and far, far too far off to even have a point to me beyond understanding story mode.

Maronji
Dec 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
You know what would be depressingly hilarious?

If they were shopping around for a third-party publisher to take it on for them to exploit the playerbase by draining their wallets (like Aeria, for instance; they're pretty good at relieving players of their money).

The Walrus
Dec 15, 2013, 10:06 AM
Nexon or gtfo

jooozek
Dec 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
wait till segac opens the official forums jp pso2
then you can spam the shit out of them
then they will not release it worldwide for sure

Aracnideo
Dec 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
Why bother with the Western release when we all have such a big and useful plenthora of tools available for us?

I was one of those who were waiting around for a release date. Thought it'd be Spring 2013. I gave up.

acrox999
Dec 15, 2013, 12:39 PM

If Asiasoft is taking it, I'd stay the hell away from them.

Krimson
Dec 15, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'd say just get jp pso2 the u.s version may or may not come but it's not likely to get as much support as the jp version of the game if na pso2 does come out,

Pso2 gets easily boring if you don't get new stuff to grind for every other week imo

MetalMarth
Dec 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
I'd say just get jp pso2 the u.s version may or may not come but it's not likely to get as much support as the jp version of the game if na pso2 does come out,

Pso2 gets easily boring if you don't get new stuff to grind for every other week imo

Oh... its the random guy who commented on my profile, hi there.

Krimson
Dec 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
Oh... its the random guy who commented on my profile, hi there.
The random who also commented on your fighter or hunter thread. I didn't notice you were op here even though I skimmed first post, how silly of me. XD

Gama
Dec 15, 2013, 03:53 PM

marry me lucky. lol

Lostbob117
Dec 15, 2013, 04:01 PM
marry me lucky. lol

Would've been better if he linked a blank page.

Aracnideo
Dec 15, 2013, 04:16 PM
Would've been better if he linked a blank page.

Actually I thought it was pretty "smart", so to speak.

Forget Sega, they obviously don't care.

phireblast
Dec 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
I hear Sega was actually happy to see westerners play the JP version. Anyone have a source validating this?

The Walrus
Dec 15, 2013, 04:38 PM
It was Sakai himself and he said it a while ago, closer to the release of the game. I think it was on bumped so check the news posts there from last year.

Aracnideo
Dec 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
It was Sakai himself and he said it a while ago, closer to the release of the game. I think it was on bumped so check the news posts there from last year.

I somehow remember that.

Not surprised quite honestly, it's two sources of money for Arks cash.

ohpz
Dec 15, 2013, 09:04 PM
The only way I'd even remotely consider playing the English/International/whatever version is if it launched with at least episode 2 content, and we all know that wouldn't happen. I'd laugh if it starts with like max level 20-30, no subclassing, etc.

Aracnideo
Dec 16, 2013, 12:45 PM
The only way I'd even remotely consider playing the English/International/whatever version is if it launched with at least episode 2 content, and we all know that wouldn't happen. I'd laugh if it starts with like max level 20-30, no subclassing, etc.

I'm trying to stop bashing SEGA so hard (as in, SEGA as a whole, I hear a lot of PSU's shortcommings were partly due to SEGA Japan) but being that capped? Highly likely at launch.

landman
Dec 17, 2013, 03:15 AM
I'll post only to balance some opinions: In favour of a western release because that is the one most of my friends will play, the ones who tried the JP version don't want to spend their time on it, and the others don't even want to install it. For myself I will just play one character on each server, no need to "waste" too much time on a single one.

luca_maygrinn
Dec 17, 2013, 04:45 AM

Yup, there will be one from Asiasoft to handle SEA subscribers.

boy, I can't wait to have crippled in-game mechanics that need to be unlocked by buying pseudo premiums!

we all know what Asiasoft's track record is when they get rights to a game.

here's a little taste... exaggerated, but not far from the truth.

-That 50-item inventory slot? Imagine it dropping to 30.
-"re-balanced" prices AND change RNG drop parameters on all items to make it harder and expensive.
-Costumes? Now you'll have to purchase it as a permanent with cash or rent it monthly using ginormous amounts of meseta.
-Enemies are boosted so you'll be forced to spend on boosters as well.
-The usual benefits you get when multi-partied? imagine that will be crippled as well.
-One character Slot free per ship? How about one character slot for free, regardless which ship it's on?
-naturally, you only need to ever spend for a 10-star ticket. I won't put it past them to pull this crap starting from 6-stars instead.
-icing on the cake... they may even make Grinding even more hellish by dropping fail grinds back to ZERO instead of just 1 or 2 steps down.

-------
so yeah... if this starts, and SEGA.JP starts IP-blocking our fellow SEA players when AsiaSoft starts their version, may got have mercy on them.

KazukiQZ
Dec 17, 2013, 04:54 AM
^....
No no no no no no no no no no no no no....No!
I'll never touch Asiasoft's published games again, even PSO2 there. God help us, just cancel the PSO2 rights to them...:o

And what you had listed will mostly becoming a reality once Aisasoft has the power to change the game for its region, it's like nightmare...

jooozek
Dec 17, 2013, 06:46 AM
" -One character Slot free per ship? How about one character slot for free, regardless which ship it's on?"

?????
you don't get one slot per ship here
hell, 2 slots for whole account is only a thing since half a year

oh, the funny part is also that more than likely asiasoft will have real events and GM interaction which you can find 0 in the japanese version :lol:
even if it's asiasoft, they also might actually drop some of the restrictions that are in place

luca_maygrinn
Dec 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
" -One character Slot free per ship? How about one character slot for free, regardless which ship it's on?"

?????
you don't get one slot per ship here
hell, 2 slots for whole account is only a thing since half a year

oh, the funny part is also that more than likely asiasoft will have real events and GM interaction which you can find 0 in the japanese version :lol:
even if it's asiasoft, they also might actually drop some of the restrictions that are in place

ah, i stand corrected on character slots. :D

AFAIK PSO2 doesn't need physical GMs to activate Lore Events in-game, nor do they need GMs to micromanage these special events. We've got NPCs and triggered events for these, which work just fine. Many Non-JP players probably don't feel it is so because they're not running on the same timezone to take advantage of this. But then again, the current state of PSO2 is, afterall, catered to Japanese players. They've automated everything PSO2 players need, from the lotteries with the scratch cards, the Bingos, the timed events and challenges and achievements. If they disable the automation and let the GM in-charge, it's going to be open to possible favouritism, money to spend hiring the GM with his cost passed on to the players, risk of breaking said events by disparity of prize releases and less distribution of events because players will have to be in the same ship/block that the GM is just to possibly participate.

Lineage II had it, Aion had it, TERA sort of has it, RF Online had it, Sword of the New Coast did it as well... but they are not PSO2, and they're designed differently in terms of interaction.

Dropping some restrictions IS attractive. But knowing AsiaSoft's track record, the negatives may just outweigh the plusses.

UnLucky
Dec 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
New Asiasoft feature:
Extra weapon palettes are AC only

Aracnideo
Dec 17, 2013, 03:04 PM
Totally, TOTALLY off-topic, but if Asiasoft's so crappy, how come it's still in business??

UnLucky
Dec 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
Well they certainly milked more money out of their playerbase than Gravity could on their own version of RO2 (which is shutting down due to a lack of profitability).

But even if scummy tactics keeps a shitty game alive, it doesn't make me want to play there.

Zorafim
Dec 17, 2013, 03:22 PM
How is any terrible business still in business?

UnLucky
Dec 17, 2013, 03:32 PM
Ya don't get rich by being generous

Kondibon
Dec 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
Ya don't get rich by being generousIt's amazing how true this is...

jooozek
Dec 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
just like in pso2 case
someone throws them money
in both cases neither will learn ever anything

Aracnideo
Dec 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
I feel bad for our SEA bretheren. Let's just hope there's no unecessary IP Banning.

Shad0owdruid
Dec 17, 2013, 06:14 PM
Personally, I don't care anymore; they are taking so long that I'm already deep into the actual jp version and don't wanna start over.
Exactly!!

luca_maygrinn
Dec 17, 2013, 11:30 PM
I feel bad for our SEA bretheren. Let's just hope there's no unecessary IP Banning.

Friends told me it's what exactly happened for their R.O.2 experience.
What's keeping it from happening to SEGA's PSO2?

Zorafim
Dec 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
I started off PSO2 thinking I'll play the JP version until the US version came out, and make a new character in the US to enjoy the story. Now I'm completely burnt out from the game and have no desire to play, and there's still no US version in sight. So, there's that.

Dark Priest
Dec 18, 2013, 12:01 AM
I started off PSO2 thinking I'll play the JP version until the US version came out, and make a new character in the US to enjoy the story. Now I'm completely burnt out from the game and have no desire to play, and there's still no US version in sight. So, there's that.

I had to same problem, except i started a year ago and played for a few days and stoped, and recently came back when i realized there seems to be no hope for one (as i was waiting untill the release and played other games)

But from what i have seen the bulked english community seems just as a-holish as i expected, 20 is always a mess when i go in, i think yesterday i saw someone insulting a russian just because he was in an "english" block on a "japanese" game.

so it appears i did not miss much not being here..

luca_maygrinn
Dec 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
I had to same problem, except i started a year ago and played for a few days and stoped, and recently came back when i realized there seems to be no hope for one (as i was waiting untill the release and played other games)

But from what i have seen the bulked english community seems just as a-holish as i expected, 20 is always a mess when i go in, i think yesterday i saw someone insulting a russian just because he was in an "english" block on a "japanese" game.

so it appears i did not miss much not being here..

come to ship 07. we'll welcome you all :D

Zorafim
Dec 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
It's surprising to hear complaint about our community. I guess one should always expect a poor community while online, just because of the interface used. But PSO2 seems generally much better than many other communities I've seen.

I suppose if I were to give advice on the matter, it would be to ignore or even blacklist people you don't like. You can easily notice one rude person in a crowd of saints, and it's that rude person who stands out. Luckily with this game, it's fairly easy to stick to people you like, so luckily you aren't stuck with jerks.

ZIE creations
Dec 18, 2013, 12:14 AM
Changing a bomb's locations doesn't change its function.. I have run into a few toxic players in my time in PSO2 but most have either disappeared or hate me enough to avoid me =^.-= The game has a large community but only a fraction isn't Japanese, good luck getting far if you're an a--. Also, as an avid LoL player, this community is pretty great compared to what it could be lol. An English version of the game would tend to have a higher density of toxic players tho, not saying JP doesn't have its toxic players it's just we don't see most of the toxic players that are Japanese given our almost enclosed community(s).

Zorafim
Dec 18, 2013, 12:21 AM
I logged on WoW for the first time in a month. I tanked a wing of a raid to check out the story. About half the raid was giving me a hard time because they didn't like my attitude.

Now, I'm not sure if you see me post much on these forums, but... like, what?

Zeek123
Dec 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
So I may be mistaken, but I thought PSO2 would also be released on PS3 as well as Vita. Wikipedia now says just Vita and PC. Is it no longer coming to console?

jooozek
Dec 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
So I may be mistaken, but I thought PSO2 would also be released on PS3 as well as Vita. Wikipedia now says just Vita and PC. Is it no longer coming to console?

it was never coming on the consoles, from what i know sakai denied any chance for a big, home console release

Zeek123
Dec 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
it was never coming on the consoles, from what i know sakai denied any chance for a big, home console release

Well that sucks... It's a shame it's taking so long to come stateside. Will the Vita and PC servers be able to play with one another?

The Walrus
Dec 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
Yes they use the same servers though there are PC only and vita only blocks along with some mixed blocks.

acrox999
Dec 19, 2013, 08:33 AM

Isn't Vita a console? :p

And yes, Vita and PC share the same servers. There are blocks where you can play together.

Aeris
Dec 19, 2013, 09:53 AM

And yes, Vita and PC share the same servers. There are blocks where you can play together.

Its a handheld like the 3DS so you can play it while on the go, not a console.

landman
Dec 19, 2013, 09:53 AM

Watch out what you say, some people can't handle recognizing a hand-held console is a console.

gigawuts
Dec 19, 2013, 09:59 AM
Watch out what you say, some people can't handle recognizing a hand-held console is a console.

Oh boy here we go.

acrox999
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 AM

Oh, I'm terribly sorry about that! I really didn't know. :(

jooozek
Dec 19, 2013, 10:03 AM

can't you like, move out of the 80s already?

~Aya~
Dec 19, 2013, 10:04 AM
my tamagotchi is best hand-held console ever~

Also my Pocket Pikachu~

gigawuts
Dec 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
Oh, I'm terribly sorry about that! I really didn't know. :(

Landman is just referencing when he stubbornly insisted that handhelds should be called consoles, when literally the entire rest of the forum updated him to the current decade and told him that handhelds are usually called handhelds and "console" usually means something you plug into a TV. As in, not functional by itself, whereas a handheld doesn't need anything but a charged battery.

He then proceeded to be an infant about it, and has apparently not stopped being a colossal baby. I'm sure his bib is around here somewhere, we'll have to put it on him since he apparently can't stop spitting up disgusting bits of half-digested arguments and resentment.

Shinamori
Dec 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
It's actually called a "Handheld game console", however, it isn't really console.

pkemr4
Dec 19, 2013, 10:46 AM
Never. Stop asking.

UnLucky
Dec 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
Handheld console versus home console.

Shorthand has settled on 'handheld' and 'console' respectively, since calling them 'homes' would just not make any sense.

Digital Pain
Dec 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Just going to leave this here http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/

Ratazana
Dec 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
This game will never get a english release because the average american player is very stingy with AC. The average JP player often get a web money card on impulse buy (they are sold on convenience stores which are everywhere) and won't shy away from spending AC on stuff like scape dolls and 150% boosters.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 11:10 AM
There's a difference between factual technical names and the names people casually use.
It's like how people often refer to items by their most popular manufacturer name.
Sure, it's pretty silly, but at least we know what they're trying to refer to.
As long as people understand that, there's not much point arguing about it.

I do wish people would stop simplifying language though.
It's become increasingly difficult to define specifics because everyone keeps simplfying everything into blanket terms.

Kikikiki
Dec 28, 2013, 11:16 AM
"lol we pay many doler we no move"

Kondibon
Dec 28, 2013, 11:19 AM
Just going to leave this here http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/Woah I musta been living under a rock. When did Sega get Relic?

This game will never get a english release because the average american player is very stingy with AC. The average JP player often get a web money card on impulse buy (they are sold on convenience stores which are everywhere) and won't shy away from spending AC on stuff like scape dolls and 150% boosters.That's an awfully broad statement on both ends. There's plenty of other stuff in the cash shop anyway. I've seen plenty of small F2P mmos with longer lifetimes than PSU. I doubt the cash shop is any real reason the game wouldn't be localized.

There's a difference between factual technical names and the names people casually use.
It's like how people often refer to items by their most popular manufacturer name.
Sure, it's pretty silly, but at least we know what they're trying to refer to.
As long as people understand that, there's not much point arguing about it.

I do wish people would stop simplifying language though.
It's become increasingly difficult to define specifics because everyone keeps simplfying everything into blanket terms.That conversation about what a consol is is like a week old. >_>

Neith
Dec 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
Just going to leave this here http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/

Relic, the Dawn of War guys? Interesting choice.

40k cross collaboration with Tyranids as enemies and I'd be playing the English version for a bit :wacko: In all honesty, I'll believe this when I see it being played. The EN release at this point is a total running joke, see Starcraft Ghost & 'that 40k MMO that ended up being single player and not a MMO at all'