PDA

View Full Version : Relic Working on Localizing a Japanese MMORPG: is PSO2 Finally Coming?

Manta Oyamada
Dec 28, 2013, 11:51 AM
http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/PSO2Header.jpg

A new career opportunity ad (http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/) from Sega and Relic Entertainment has some interesting information about the fact that the development studio acquired after the demise of THQ is working on the localization of a MMORPG developed in Japan.

Here’s the text of the ad (that was discovered by NeoGaf user Nirolak (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741589)) with the relevant text bolded.

Server Engineer

Programming/Engineering | Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | 12/23/2013

Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, among other games. Relic was founded on the premise that it is entirely possible to ship first class, genre altering, AAA titles, and have a life. Relic is based out of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, a city that has breath-taking mountain and ocean views, along with snowboarding and skiing, golfing year-round and amazing hiking trails. If you love games, enjoy working collaboratively with smart, creative people, and have diverse personal interests outside of work – you’ll enjoy our culture.

What you will be doing

Ramp up and perform due diligence on an existing live MMO project in development in Japan, embedded with the live team
Gain full understanding of the game and code architecture, content authoring pipelines, build and deployment process, engineering process, and current code status
Establish working relationships with key members of Japanese development team
Participate in and contribute to minor/peripheral engineering tasks on the project, as well as in daily project planning, code reviews, release process, etc.
Create/translate documentation of existing code modules, tools, processes and work flows
Prepare regular status and activity reports to Producer
Prepare a full written project evaluation

What you should have

5+ years’ engineering experience from PC client/server based MMO development
Ability to spend extended (3+ months) periods of time on-site in Tokyo
Ideally fluent in Japanese and English languages
Excellent verbal and written communication skills

The only Japanese MMORPG currently live in Sega’s portfolio is Phantasy Star Online 2. Is the game finally getting a western localization?

Unfortunately no official announcement has been made yet, but it would be long overdue. We have contacted Sega to see if they have any relevant information to give. We’ll keep you posted if we hear anything straight from the lion’s mouth.

by dualshockers (http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/)

NexusAZ
Dec 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
Interesting... It would be nice to see the game make its way to the west.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 12:02 PM
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, among other games. Relic was founded on the premise that it is entirely possible to ship first class, genre altering, AAA titles, and have a life. Relic is based out of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, a city that has breath-taking mountain and ocean views, along with snowboarding and skiing, golfing year-round and amazing hiking trails. If you love games, enjoy working collaboratively with smart, creative people, and have diverse personal interests outside of work – you’ll enjoy our culture.

And they're going to handle PSO2 localization?
What's that saying, "How the mighty have fallen"?

The entire description sounds much fancier than I'd expect from a localization job, especially one from SEGA.
We all know how SEGA treated PSU and so on.

Vintasticvin
Dec 28, 2013, 12:08 PM
Interesting... It would be nice to see the game make its way to the west.

Yes it would be nice to see this game make it to the west :D

Shadowth117
Dec 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
It is long overdue, but I just hope that if they do do it that it will be done well. Alas, I'm expecting the same combination of lack of advertising, lack of support, and general lack of caring to plague this supposed variant of the game.

Please prove me wrong Sega.

~Aya~
Dec 28, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hm... might look into this.. thank you.

Sizustar
Dec 28, 2013, 12:22 PM
So, Sega is giving PSO2 US to a US team, and have the Japan team focus on PSO2 JP and PSO2 TW?

ShinMaruku
Dec 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword.

Vintasticvin
Dec 28, 2013, 01:15 PM
Meh its not like you guys are even going to play the local version so why keep slamming it with the same old dried up poo?

SakoHaruo
Dec 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
> Players beg for WEST Release

> Sega ignores them for quite some time

> Western players continue to show interest/support

> Sega hands the game over to a US team

> Fans rejoice!

> Official Announcement!

> bodies are reggie!

> Game is release

> Everyone creates some form of an excuse to stay on the JP Servers ( english community is shit, hacks, my friends play on the JP servers, JP servers are better, weeaboos, etc), so over half of the WEST will still be playing JP PSO2.

"Why the fuck are these gaijins still on the JP servers" - Sega and the entire JP community

How will Sega stop that^ from happening? They must do something about it because doing nothing will have huge consequences. It would be nice if there was a way to transfer our JP account (along with all our stuff) onto the US version of PSO2. It's just a nice way of saying "get the fuck outta here you piece of shit gaijins" and I'd reply with a o3o.

Zyrusticae
Dec 28, 2013, 01:29 PM
I don't see the point, you already know that all of the collab stuff on the JP servers aren't going to show up on the EN servers at all, not to mention the inevitable 6-month time lag (that increases every year) between JP server and EN server updates. Even the latency barely affects anything at all (unlike, say, Blade & Soul, where the lag actually affects your attack speed and thus your ability to participate in the game itself).

That being said, there's obviously a lot of players who don't want to deal with the language barrier, and I wouldn't begrudge them a(n inferior) EN version for that. And of course it would make the EN patch workers' lives easier since they could just crib stuff from the EN version instead of translating it themselves.

Yes, I am just restating stuff I've said in the past several threads that have popped up. I've just never seen anything to actually sway my opinion on this matter.

Z-0
Dec 28, 2013, 01:31 PM
Can I chain kill on the EN servers?

> Yes
I'll play it.

> No
Nope.

pkemr4
Dec 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
i can imagine the north american version having more lag then playing the TW or JP Version. huehuehue

Tenlade
Dec 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
let me summarize the next year of posts about an english localization:

-it will be too far behind and it will be handled poorly and made pay to win

-everyone says they wont play it then will immediately sign up for an english beta test the moment it starts

-people will bitch while playing the english beta and say how terrible it is, but once the game is released they will stick around for english story missons and just swap between jp and en characters for EMs.

-freakouts on IP bans on the jp version will be weekly.

gigawuts
Dec 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
let me summarize the next year of posts about an english localization:

-it will be too far behind and it will be handled poorly and made pay to win

-everyone says they wont play it then will immediately sign up for an english beta test the moment it starts

-people will bitch while playing the english beta and say how terrible it is, but once the game is released they will stick around for english story missons and just swap between jp and en characters for EMs.

-freakouts on IP bans on the jp version will be weekly.

Close, but the freakouts will be daily if not hourly for at least the first two to four weeks.

People will then whine that the servers have different promos.

CricketJam
Dec 28, 2013, 02:15 PM
What's with all the speculation? The single bolded part in this article this entire coming west thing is based on doesn't even say anything about it. If anything, it mostly sounds like sega is just hiring more people for the team to help work on next year's roadmap.

The Walrus
Dec 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Watch it be vanilla release from last summer. I'd lmfao if they do it.

Kamekur
Dec 28, 2013, 03:16 PM
Can I chain kill on the EN servers?

> Yes
I'll play it.

> No
Nope.

This. This right here.

PokeminMaster
Dec 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
Watch it be vanilla release from last summer. I'd lmfao if they do it.

Looking at the Taiwan version, that's not too far-fetched; I wouldn't be surprised if we started with the same update or earlier XD

Maronji
Dec 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
You know what would be depressingly hilarious?

If they were shopping around for a third-party publisher to take it on for them to exploit the playerbase by draining their wallets (like Aeria, for instance; they're pretty good at relieving players of their money).
You know, even if only partway (because I'm not sure on the "exploit the playerbase by draining their wallets" part, and it's technically in-house because it's an "owned" studio), it's starting to look like I called it.

Emp
Dec 28, 2013, 04:20 PM
I really want to know how they will manage to keep the servers operating. I mean an English port will obtain the funds like the JP servers do. Stuff in the JP Ac scratch doesn't bid too well with the NA/EU, majority of it is slutty/loli/otaku ish stuff.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
My point was that localizations aren't usually handled by award-winning developers who make their own games.
At least, not from my experience anyway. They tend to be more like franchisers.

I know SEGA owns them, but I still think it seems strange to assign an entire game development team to handle localization.

The Walrus
Dec 28, 2013, 04:39 PM
Maybe they're altering the game a bit after all

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe they'll turn it into an RTS. Or more gritty like Call of Duty.
PHANTASY STAR DOG.

yoshiblue
Dec 28, 2013, 04:52 PM
Phantasy Star: Infection.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
I still think it's sad going from making your own games to handling regional localization.
But they're hiring new people, so maybe it'll be a new group under Relic Entertainment's name to make the localization look more professional?
Advertising loves pulling that kind of crap.

PHANTASY STAR DOG
BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE MAKERS OF AWARD WINNING RTS GAMES, RELIC ENTERTAINMENT.

Also can't help but chuckle at the fancy job description.
I'd imagine a lot of effort goes into making game dev job offers sound like a heavenly paradise.

Saffran
Dec 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
I don't see the point of having a programming savvy person doing the localisation - espescially if they're not going to alter just about everything in the game.
Just hire ME for g- I mean, uh...

shagia
Dec 28, 2013, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one who kinda feels that it's too late to move? I haven't leveled up too high but it was kind of a pain to get where I'm at right now, and it's possibly my fault for continuing on and not thinking about the NA localization. (which seemed like it was never happening at the time)

I don't know, I think this might be good news for those who solely want to stick with US servers, but for me this kinda seems like a moot thing. I'd definitely move to the US servers once released if I didn't put so much time into the game.. :S

Anyway, if this is true, good on Sega. I'm glad they were able to find another company help with the localization.

The Walrus
Dec 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
At this point I'm pretty sure a lot of us think it's too late

Emp
Dec 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
At this point I'm pretty sure a lot of us think it's too late

Ya. I'm sure a lot of people have more hours than me. But I'm puting another 3000 hours into a subpar english port.

Inb4 another excited english player that doesn't like jp version.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
I keep seeing people on other forums like NeoGAF and game news media websites whining about the lack of English language in PSO2.
They won't even try the patch. People are just lazy as shit.

I mean, I learned a language to be able to do this kind of thing.
It's hard for me to have sympathy for people who can't be bothered installing a few files and pressing a button or two.

NoiseHERO
Dec 28, 2013, 05:56 PM
Am I the only one who kinda feels that it's too late to move? I haven't leveled up too high but it was kind of a pain to get where I'm at right now, and it's possibly my fault for continuing on and not thinking about the NA localization. (which seemed like it was never happening at the time)

I don't know, I think this might be good news for those who solely want to stick with US servers, but for me this kinda seems like a moot thing. I'd definitely move to the US servers once released if I didn't put so much time into the game.. :S

Anyway, if this is true, good on Sega. I'm glad they were able to find another company helping with the localization.

Everything revolving around the EN release sounds like a waste of time at this point. From caring about it, to trying to make money off of it.

I wonder if it'll even last longer than a year.

I do however think if we got the vita version, then they'd be making some bank off of anyone with a PS Vita that's into JRPG's. (That's IF they have room to put the game on their Vita, though.)

yoshiblue
Dec 28, 2013, 05:57 PM
I wonder if it would be cheaper to let Sega NA make their own PSO game?

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 06:03 PM
If they localize it now, majority of players will be the same people who couldn't be bothered trying the English patch.
Don't think I'd want to be around a bunch like that.

I bet Relic Entertainment could make a better PSO game than SEGA.
Hell, even a PSO RTS would be nice. Maybe that's what this is all about. "PHANTASY STAR CRAFT".

gigawuts
Dec 28, 2013, 06:06 PM
There will always be a market of kids just discovering anime and hot topic for sega to mooch money off of in phantasy star.

The players on the JP server don't even scratch the surface of the potential players in the west and it's highly arrogant to think a western server's success could possibly fail because a couple hundred paleskins are on the JP server.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah, although there's probably more competition in the West.
People who want hawt "anime" girls are probably already playing TERA or something.
Then there are upcoming games like Everquest Next that look great (but aren't "anime").

shagia
Dec 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
People who want hawt "anime" girls are probably already playing TERA or something.

*Attractive Anime Girl on Facebook Ad Game

fify

NoiseHERO
Dec 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
*Attractive Anime Girl on Facebook Ad Game

fify

Depends on SEGA's marketing then.

And how well did PSU do that. : D

Lessee if a couple banners on manga websites will be enough for 10k players.

landman
Dec 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
My point was that localizations aren't usually handled by award-winning developers who make their own games.
At least, not from my experience anyway. They tend to be more like franchisers.

I know SEGA owns them, but I still think it seems strange to assign an entire game development team to handle localization.

The job offer doesn't seem like a localization one, but a person to be in contact with the Japanese team and with programming skills, localization is usually handled to external companies, but since they want someone with fluent japanese (and the need to spend three months with the japanese team) it is a possibility said person will handle post release localizations.

The TW interview gave me good impressions about what they were going to do managing content release, some rushing for some months, and then updates on par, I would not expect it to be very different on a western release, but I don't consider AC stuff to be "content" per see, this they should handle it how they see it better and will give more money spacing it out accordingly.

If Relic can put some western content to attract people to the game then I'm in (and please Steam support). Expectant and thinking very possessively about this news!

ShinMaruku
Dec 28, 2013, 07:20 PM

Relic is owned by Sega they ARE Sega NA

Ghalion
Dec 28, 2013, 07:27 PM
If they localize it now, majority of players will be the same people who couldn't be bothered trying the English patch.
Don't think I'd want to be around a bunch like that.

This logic is so tunnel-vision towards dumb it hurts. I think a more realistic possibility is that the majority of players are people who don't bother looking at games that aren't in their native language, and/or are advertised via their local advertisement mediums. Second up are the people who knew about the English patch but were afraid of future-implimented IP blocks. Then there are the people that want to...you know, actually want to be able to socialize with the general public in an mmo.

But whatever, I don't think I want to be around by someone so blindly judgmental towards others, so feel free to keep thinking that.

Anyway, regarding this news, I'm hoping for the best, but I really am not expecting anything, but if it does actually come out in NA at some point, I WILL play it, and I will NOT care if it's a year behind...ok well I'll care but It wont be a dealbreaker for me. Regardless though, I'm not going to expect anything =P.

Also, the guy who stated that the qualifications seem awfully high for localization, those are believe it or not the absolute lowest qualifications I've ever seen for any kind of game programming position in Vancouver... I live in Vancouver, and I graduated college for computer programming. All the while being told how much of a booming industry game programming is, and how easy it is to find jobs that pay amazing, etc, etc... But practically the year I finally graduated, all of a sudden the absolute lowest of the low "entry level" (even stated as such in the ads) positions would demand masters degrees, 5 years experience, and more often than not, 3... yes, effing 3 (for entry level WTF?!) "AAA Titles under portfolio"... yeah... Now I'm doing nothing related to what I've dreamed of doing practically my whole life, and while I suppose I could try to self-educate myself to make some kinda solo indie-project game (after graduating I wasn't quite confident enough to make a 1 man project game quite yet), I was more at the point where I kinda need to work nowish and pay bills, and the whole sour taste in my mouth of not getting a job about it just kinda kills the motivation =(.

If it wasn't for the limiting stipulation of requiring fluency in both Japanese and English, I'm sure they would have demanded even higher programming-related qualifications still =P. You can't even work as a burger flipper in this damn city without knowing someone in the industry, I'm dead serious.

RedRaz0r
Dec 28, 2013, 08:38 PM
This logic is so tunnel-vision towards dumb it hurts. I think a more realistic possibility is that the majority of players are people who don't bother looking at games that aren't in their native language, and/or are advertised via their local advertisement mediums. Second up are the people who knew about the English patch but were afraid of future-implimented IP blocks. Then there are the people that want to...you know, actually want to be able to socialize with the general public in an mmo.

But whatever, I don't think I want to be around by someone so blindly judgmental towards others, so feel free to keep thinking that.

Anyway, regarding this news, I'm hoping for the best, but I really am not expecting anything, but if it does actually come out in NA at some point, I WILL play it, and I will NOT care if it's a year behind...ok well I'll care but It wont be a dealbreaker for me. Regardless though, I'm not going to expect anything =P.

Also, the guy who stated that the qualifications seem awfully high for localization, those are believe it or not the absolute lowest qualifications I've ever seen for any kind of game programming position in Vancouver... I live in Vancouver, and I graduated college for computer programming. All the while being told how much of a booming industry game programming is, and how easy it is to find jobs that pay amazing, etc, etc... But practically the year I finally graduated, all of a sudden the absolute lowest of the low "entry level" (even stated as such in the ads) positions would demand masters degrees, 5 years experience, and more often than not, 3... yes, effing 3 (for entry level WTF?!) "AAA Titles under portfolio"... yeah... Now I'm doing nothing related to what I've dreamed of doing practically my whole life, and while I suppose I could try to self-educate myself to make some kinda solo indie-project game (after graduating I wasn't quite confident enough to make a 1 man project game quite yet), I was more at the point where I kinda need to work nowish and pay bills, and the whole sour taste in my mouth of not getting a job about it just kinda kills the motivation =(.

If it wasn't for the limiting stipulation of requiring fluency in both Japanese and English, I'm sure they would have demanded even higher programming-related qualifications still =P. You can't even work as a burger flipper in this damn city without knowing someone in the industry, I'm dead serious.

You can tell this dude never played PSU

Ratazana
Dec 28, 2013, 08:47 PM
Sega releases english version → Moves to english servers

2 years pass

Sega kills english servers → Comes back to jp server

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 08:52 PM
This logic is so tunnel-vision towards dumb it hurts.

The real tunnel vision is not going outside of one's own bubble to learn something new.
I've been around plenty of people who aren't open to new concepts.
They only want everything done their way. It's not fun.

I think a more realistic possibility is that the majority of players are people who don't bother looking at games that aren't in their native language and/or are advertised via their local advertisement mediums.

Except PSO2 seems to be getting a lot of attention on sites like Neogaf and gaming news media sites.
Every time there's a post about it, many people complain that they've been waiting for the English version.
When people tell them there's an easy-to-use English patch, many still don't want to try it.

I've had friends who didn't want to touch it because they think English patches are inherently troublesome.
It took me forever to get another of my friends to actually use the English patch when we play together.
Now I don't have to translate everything for him.

Second up are the people who knew about the English patch but were afraid of future-implimented IP blocks.
I'd be more afraid of SEGA letting the Western server go to rot, again.
Either way, they still lose all of their character data.
If they really wanted to play, nothing's stopping them from playing for free.
It takes more effort to give it a try, than to sit around doing nothing.
That's more respectable to me.

Then there are the people that want to...you know, actually want to be able to socialize with the general public in an mmo.
Block 20? And I see more English players talking in every block every day.
Around half of multiparties are usually English-speaking players.
I also don't see how it's tunnel vision to encourage people to socialize with players from other cultures that speak other languages.
It's more tunnel vision to expect everyone to speak your own language.

If anyone really wants to do something, they can always take steps to learn.
It's understandable if they don't have time, but the PSO2 English patch is hardly time-consuming.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument or offend anyone.
If I did, then I apologize.

If Relic can put some western content to attract people to the game then I'm in (and please Steam support). Expectant and thinking very possessively about this news!

I dunno. "Western content" tends to be military camo, military uniforms and stuff like that.

Kion
Dec 28, 2013, 09:19 PM
I applied.

Me too.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 09:22 PM
Now I'm doing nothing related to what I've dreamed of doing practically my whole life, and while I suppose I could try to self-educate myself to make some kinda solo indie-project game (after graduating I wasn't quite confident enough to make a 1 man project game quite yet), I was more at the point where I kinda need to work nowish and pay bills, and the whole sour taste in my mouth of not getting a job about it just kinda kills the motivation =(.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm demotivated from making games because of the current direction of the industry.
Everyone ripping each other off, games focusing on cutscenes, progression, etc.
Then there's market saturation and social/phone games being all the rage now.
It makes me sad seeing people whine that a game costing $5-$20 is too much.

Game dev simply isn't worth the trouble for how risky and time-consuming it is.
I know a LOT of people who couldn't afford the risks and gave up.
I'm kinda fortunate because I did a lot of art and game stuff as I was growing up.
There's no time for that when you have to work to pay your own bills.
I always wonder what kind of stuff people would've made if they weren't chained down by time and money.

Anyway, if you do have time, I think you should try to make something.

shagia
Dec 28, 2013, 09:28 PM
I applied.

Me too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46627773/HILARIOUS%21%21%21/stop.png

No joke though, if you two actually applied then I'm sending complete positivity your way ^^

lilibat
Dec 28, 2013, 09:40 PM
Know what? I'm playing on JP servers now, if they had a NA port, I'd play that too. The number of times I have restarted on various versions of the original PSO, no biggie.

shagia
Dec 28, 2013, 09:49 PM
Know what? I'm playing on JP servers now, if they had a NA port, I'd play that too. The number of times I have restarted on various versions of the original PSO, no biggie.

You never found the concept of starting over as a bit annoying?

Kikikiki
Dec 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
a bit annoying?

A bit?

Unless you're an extreme nerd who does nothing but loafing around all day, why bother playing another localization when you've got like, say, 4 Lv65 classes, a bunch of gear, and much more?

At least you don't have to see a bunch of ":3" and "xddddd" all day every day in PSO2 JP.

I can't be fucked keeping playing PSO2 JP because I've also built a steady connection with a number of both non-JP and JP players, so it's a waste.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 10:01 PM
Good luck to those who applied.

shagia
Dec 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
A bit?

Unless you're an extreme nerd who does nothing but loafing around all day, why bother playing another localization when you've got like, say, 4 Lv65 classes, a bunch of gear, and much more?

At least you don't have to see a bunch of ":3" and "xddddd" all day every day in PSO2 JP.

I can't be fucked keeping playing PSO2 JP because I've also built a steady connection with a number of both non-JP and JP players, so it's a waste.

I was actually just about to say "annoying" but I decided to hold back, haha. But yeah, that's exactly how I feel about just moving back. I feel SEGA should of just held off on announcing the localization / confirming it because unless if localization usually takes this long, I think it was way too early for SEGA to announce the localization, including when it comes to them just going straight silent about the whole thing.

Also, best of luck for anyone here who applied to Relic Entertainment.

gigawuts
Dec 28, 2013, 10:38 PM
You never found the concept of starting over as a bit annoying?

Starting a character is part of the allure of RPGs. It's about the journey, not the destination.

Besides, every 2 months they move the bar anyway so it's not like you'll ever reach a goal post that stays put.

TaigaUC
Dec 28, 2013, 11:02 PM
I personally find it annoying. I don't like doing the same things over and over.
If I can, I always cheat to save time and get to the juicy parts, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
You know a game has good gameplay if nobody wants to skip those parts.

I started Pangya over three times because different countries kept blocking outsiders.
But, I expected it going in. I enjoyed the good times I had.
I had to start over again for the console version too, but that's something else.

The Walrus
Dec 28, 2013, 11:19 PM
Depends how fast the leveling is and how fun the content is to play over and over...

at least towards the future was a boss rush...

TTF PSO2 never ;_;

Blundy
Dec 28, 2013, 11:20 PM
it'd be a tough sell to start withput a bunch of stuff that i'm used to having in the game, namely four extra classes, a race that i'm currently playing as, and a whole bunch of spells.

if it was localized with most of that stuff (alongside us not having to live through every single balance mistake and update a second time)

i'd be all for it. it might even be fun.

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2013, 12:15 AM
Since I have a bunch of alts starting over is nothing. Plus if I could get a reall engaging player base I won't mind starting over. PSO2 by having only a certain type of person playing has gotten quite clicuey and that shit is not worth my time.

Valimer
Dec 29, 2013, 12:15 AM
Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword.

You are my new favorite user

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2013, 12:35 AM
You are my new favorite user

When people say relic I just have to quote Dawn of War 2 retribution.

Ghalion
Dec 29, 2013, 01:25 AM
Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument or offend anyone.
If I did, then I apologize.

I'm sorry too. I just found that your comment seemed to be the most outspoken among the whole "anyone who doesn't just play the english patch is a flaming moron" mentality these boards seem to express for over a year now. I mean I played on the CBT, and used the English patch then myself. Then it was officially released, and shortly after they announced they were gonna make pso2 west. At this point, my character was recently wiped, and I figured I'd be better off just not bothering with JPN if west was going to come out, because even with an English patch, there will always be new patches and stuff that will not be translated immediately, not to mention the random players (sorry but being limited to 1 block really isn't a great comparison if that's what you want, especially if you're like me and you prefer playing during hours that are less than common). I have other reasons too, point is, there are reasons, many reasons, and good ones. But everyone constantly makes these baseless assumptions that it's laziness or dumbness preventing them from just playing on JPN with the patch.

Now for those of you who say I never played PSU or whatever, it's true I haven't, so maybe my expectations for a localization being not horrible are poorly made, but thing is I've played several other mmo's, and EVERY SINGLE ONE has its community WHINING like it's the damn apocalypse about the slightest thing, thiking that the west version is utter trash, blah blah... fact is my own opinion is theirs are rubbish, and I still enjoy the local versions. Is PSU the same? worse? I have no experience so I can't say, but one thing I know is to just try it myself before I accept bashing stories about an mmo.

Ratazana
Dec 29, 2013, 01:36 AM
Since I have a bunch of alts starting over is nothing. Plus if I could get a reall engaging player base I won't mind starting over. PSO2 by having only a certain type of person playing has gotten quite clicuey and that shit is not worth my time.

What kind of person is that you talk about?

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2013, 01:38 AM
What kind of person is that you talk about?

Oh they are around. Some of them are in this here topic. :P

isCasted
Dec 29, 2013, 01:47 AM
It's about the journey, not the destination.

...but not in PSO2 case. Of course, the whole idea of MMORPG is making progress with character, but here most of the content is only available to endgame players. This makes people have to grind EXP, lots of EXP before they actually start playing the game.

That's fine with new players, who get new experiences with the game, but restarting is not as fun in PSO2 unless you restart when a lot of new all-level content is released (like with 1st Epispde II update).

Kikikiki
Dec 29, 2013, 01:53 AM
Since I have a bunch of alts

you're an extreme nerd who does nothing but loafing around all day

Probably, yeah.

Oh they are around. Some of them are in this here topic. :P

Metaphor on the internet is too hard.

...but not in PSO2 case. Of course, the whole idea of MMORPG is making progress with character, but here most of the content is only available to endgame players. This makes people have to grind EXP, lots of EXP before they actually start playing the game.

That's fine with new players, who get new experiences with the game, but restarting is not as fun in PSO2 unless you restart when a lot of new all-level content is released (like with 1st Episode II update).

I'd say if they could keep Border Break an always available quest then I wouldn't mind "restarting" at all.

But of course an US localization would never get that.

Ratazana
Dec 29, 2013, 01:56 AM
I think one of the reasons people like JP servers is because they can't understand what they are saying. They can be rude and obnoxious like everyone else.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2013, 02:00 AM
I'm just here cause it came out first, and yeah don't expect much from an online gaming community.

You're only going to meet less than 20 people actually worth caring about just like in real life. Playing online games just to meet people is a thing of late 90's-early 2000's. It's cliquey because everyone is certain kind of terrible.

(Just some cliques cooler/smarter than others. 8D)

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2013, 02:17 AM
All cliques are full of shit. :P
And it's less just to meet people (That's for terrible games like wow and gw2) it's more a good stable to decent players that grouping will work. That and less patching to understand this batshit story.

Ghalion
Dec 29, 2013, 02:42 AM
I'm a total introvert diagnosed belonging to the "autism spectrum" (yeah yeah, I know I just basically labeled myself the epitome of uncool on the net). And yet I find it sad that people would rather avoid all contact playing mmos...don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy soloing virtually everything possible too. But that's mostly because of challenge being more fun than interaction for me...Even if the game isn't that challenging to solo (in which case I often switch over to grouping just for faster clears, faster loot, etc).

While it's true that you find more bad than good in online gaming alot of the time, I find that you can make this untrue if you take the first step yourself. Join a group or whatever, and as soon as you do, try actually doing something major like saying "hey!".

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just know that it's really a foreign concept to many in online games because 99% of the time I'm the first to do so, and if I don't for whatever reason...nobody else does it in the entire party the vast majority of the time. So I mean this as honest to goodness hopefully helpful advice. If you actually care about how other people act, just be the first to step forward and be friendly! More often than not, people start responding after in my experience.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2013, 03:28 AM
I always found it common sense that online games were made so that you could reach out and play with other people who shared same interests as you and you'd just... fucking play the game and go on virtual adventures together. A Playground where everyone can relate to each other. And for a while that's how it seemed like things were

But it stopped being that playground, now it's just walking into a comic store where people slip in to the back to buy their adult dvd's and hentai figurines and then slip out, while two guys in the front of the store stand around all day arguing about which digimon pokevolves into which rappy. And all the shy highschoolers just wander in and out either freaked out/amazed/used to it, and don't say anything and buy their videogames and leave.

So you're either in a clique for "good" or "bad" or whatever reason cause everyone's chopped up into their own comfort zones(and whatever petty bullshit makes their comfort zone comfortable.) Or you have scattered out friends that are apart of different cliques. Also someone thought this series needed TEAMs again, so that amplified "clique" problems by literally 50x fold. (In PSU my "crew" was the 100 people limit on my friendslist.)

Valimer
Dec 29, 2013, 03:37 AM
Real talk though, a studio like Relic responsible for the Western PSO2? Actually sounds really awesome, considering Relics WH40K background. Hopefully we see some really cool accessories and costumes, uguu~!

Oh man, it's going to be so daunting being so behind in content though ._.

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
I have faith relic will localize this pretty fast.

gigawuts
Dec 29, 2013, 03:17 PM

That's fine with new players, who get new experiences with the game, but restarting is not as fun in PSO2 unless you restart when a lot of new all-level content is released (like with 1st Epispde II update).

I can see your position, I even agree to an extent; I just find restarting a character to not really be that much of a hindrance. I even find it enjoyable in a few ways.

In terms of PSO2, well, you're going to spend most of your time capped. Getting to the cap, or to the highest level content, is not going to be what takes up most of your time. You spend most of your time grinding for gear while sitting comfortably at the cap that you actually stop using in only a few months.

Most of us have spent over a year on PSO2. What am I still using from a year ago? My cast parts. Nothing else.

Endykins
Dec 30, 2013, 06:24 PM
Huh, interesting.

RadiantLegend
Dec 30, 2013, 06:32 PM
Mag leveling again? No thanks. Why do you think I only have one character. For those who aren't on the Jp servers this is a good thing. Dudu/Monica will have to prepare themselves. Talk less of the RNG system.

ThePendragon
Dec 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
Spiral Knights 2 confirmed!

jooozek
Dec 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
spiral knights is actually good

The Walrus
Dec 30, 2013, 07:54 PM
Mag leveling again? No thanks. Why do you think I only have one character. For those who aren't on the Jp servers this is a good thing. Dudu/Monica will have to prepare themselves. Talk less of the RNG system.

I've leveled like 10 Mags. Mostly while idling and doing something else but eh

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 07:58 PM
Loot boss crystal -> none of these have decent affixes -> feed to mag

how I maxed 5 mags, including a 175 ratk mag

pkemr4
Dec 30, 2013, 07:58 PM
wonder how shitty the north American versions economy will be

RadiantLegend
Dec 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
You guys have patience that I lack. My time is very limited and mag feeding reminds me of mass effect 2 mining chore.

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
...I liked the mining minigame in ME2.

Shinamori
Dec 30, 2013, 08:42 PM

If it's the same type of people who play Maple Story, then probably gonna be even shitter than the current market.

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 08:44 PM
It'll be highly competitive, as you can expect. Markets won't crash because one idiot undercut a 700km item with a 450k item, followed by another idiot undercutting with a 250k item. Instead those will just be bought up and marked up.

Like god intended.

But hoarding will also be rampant as all hell, so.

Endykins
Dec 30, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'll ruin it like i ruined PSU's. Don't worry.

The Walrus
Dec 30, 2013, 09:49 PM
You guys have patience that I lack. My time is very limited and mag feeding reminds me of mass effect 2 mining chore.

I'm actually pretty impatient. Only really gotta check it once every half hour or so. I just leave it on while I'm playing something else.

ShinMaruku
Dec 30, 2013, 10:42 PM

If you ask me 90% of all online games economies were shit.

lostinseganet
Dec 31, 2013, 06:33 PM
I cent believe that sega did not capitalize on the ps4 debut to sell pso 2 on it! It only have one other free to play competitor... >_>

The Walrus
Dec 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
It also isn't even out in Japan yet.

Not to mention handhelds are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more popular over there.

MoronSonOfBoron
Dec 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
Only question on my mind is My Little Pony crossover scratch?

The Walrus
Jan 1, 2014, 12:04 AM
Fuck. No.

gigawuts
Jan 1, 2014, 12:10 AM
we have the horse mask already

all they need to do is recolor it

The Walrus
Jan 1, 2014, 12:12 AM
DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS GIGA

ShinMaruku
Jan 1, 2014, 12:34 AM
King of Saurus...

shagia
Jan 1, 2014, 12:51 AM
we have the horse mask already

all they need to do is recolor it

throw the Luxe Novice rear unit on and you've got a PSO2MLP OC.

The Walrus
Jan 1, 2014, 12:53 AM
Yeah you can't hotlink cirnopedia stuff...

Ghalion
Jan 1, 2014, 02:16 PM
So uhh, just wondering what people will be thinking if in the end this all turns out to be something completely unrelated to pso2. Will people think this is yet another new low on sega's part? Will people be grabbing pitchforks? Or is everyone here acting like this is a defacto guarantee suddenly turn around and say "I knew it".

Kondibon
Jan 1, 2014, 02:19 PM
So uhh, just wondering what people will be thinking if in the end this all turns out to be something completely unrelated to pso2. Will people think this is yet another new low on sega's part? Will people be grabbing pitchforks? Or is everyone here acting like this is a defacto guarantee suddenly turn around and say "I knew it".Chances are neither. If it doesn't pan out people will just shrug and move on since most everyone here plays the JP version anyway. If it does turn out to be NA PSO2 I have no idea what'll happen.

The Walrus
Jan 1, 2014, 02:20 PM
I have a gif for this...

AH, here it is: http://i.imgur.com/YaNtaWm.gif

jooozek
Jan 1, 2014, 02:53 PM
seriously, someone name me one other than PSO2 game that is live and under developement in Japan by SEGAC directly and is a PC MMO

yoshiblue
Jan 1, 2014, 04:08 PM
Taking it loosely, there is Total War Arena. When the terms MOBA and MMO clash!

landman
Jan 1, 2014, 07:03 PM
It could even be for a non Sega MMO, in any case seems to be at least some months to have the server working, and unless they have it on good track this time I don't expect any announcement from Sega's part.

jooozek
Jan 1, 2014, 07:26 PM
Taking it loosely, there is Total War Arena. When the terms MOBA and MMO clash!

that's not developed in japan though (and p. sure it's not even running in japan), the whole team is western

SEGA manages Rusty Hearts in Japan. Maybe they're taking over and it's for a new expansion of some sort?

rusty hearts is already published for NA/EU by perfect world and i can't really see a publisher picking up development of some not popular game without even acquiring the parent company

It could even be for a non Sega MMO, in any case seems to be at least some months to have the server working, and unless they have it on good track this time I don't expect any announcement from Sega's part.

relic is fully owned by SEGA now, everything they do will relate to SEGA, if you know some MMO that is currently live and is developed in japan and has any relations to SEGA do name it

imo, all those job requirements sound pretty much what they'd would want from someone who would work with some IP and not just republishing of some third party game, SEGA making use of relic as a dedicated PSO2 localiser (?) would actually make sense, it really sounds like they want a guy who would do the job, they might have just learned from the fuckups from PSOBB/PSU/w\e

would they go for such lengths for some 3rd party? dun think so

Sanguine2009
Jan 1, 2014, 08:12 PM
sega? learning? where are the flying pigs? if anything sega would take steps backward and support it even worse

Kion
Jan 1, 2014, 08:21 PM
sega? learning? where are the flying pigs? if anything sega would take steps backward and support it even worse

They've already done a good job of being completely silent about the progress of a game they should have been advertising over the last two years. But the details about their Taiwan release kind of hint at what an NA release would look like. There's a lot of content on the Japanese server that can't be released in America without a lot of licensing issues. Also with events, it looks like they want something more culturally specific as well as server management and original content. So it would make sense for them to have a studio to not only import and maintain content from the JP version, but to develop and contribute new content for said region.

pkemr4
Jan 1, 2014, 08:52 PM
they havent even released any further news about the SEA version

Macman
Jan 1, 2014, 09:18 PM
They'd have to have x50 droprate at all times for me to even consider starting over. I ain't dealing with all that bullshit building back up to where I am right now.

landman
Jan 2, 2014, 05:32 AM
relic is fully owned by SEGA now, everything they do will relate to SEGA, if you know some MMO that is currently live and is developed in japan and has any relations to SEGA do name it

Sega "could" publish in the west a Japanese non Sega game, just like Sega of Japan has published there western, asian or indi games not related to Sega. I'm 99,9% sure this is related to PSO2, though.

May0
Jan 2, 2014, 07:26 AM
Considering how terrible gaijins bungled Aliens Colonial Marines I'm surprised sega hasn't gotten stiff lipped towards the west. Granted, that was gearbox and this is relic so we'll have to see...

While the job description falls in line with what I would expect to see for a dev for PSO2 I'll wait till a release date before I start holding my breath.

Am I evil I if want to see a blanket ban of all non Nipponese IPs for PSO2 in Japan combined with an utterly abysmal western release for the maximum amount of rump pain possible?

Wingboots
Jan 2, 2014, 08:37 AM
I cringe at the thought of PSO2 coming to the U.S. especially with all the new MMOs coming out in 2014 (well all the MMOs coming to the west almost all F2P), especially if they keep the same payment model they have going right now in Japan. I would definitely pay/play it but yea I'm not to sure of how popular it would be here.

Ghalion
Jan 2, 2014, 02:39 PM
I cringe at the thought of PSO2 coming to the U.S. especially with all the new MMOs coming out in 2014 (well all the MMOs coming to the west almost all F2P),

Like...what?
Part of the reason why I really want pso2 west to be a thing is there hasn't been a decent new mmo in the west featuring actual player-skill based combat instead of point-and-click mechanics since Vindictus and elsword. Maybe you could say tera but its cooldown base made it just as much point and click to me as otherwise. Dragon's nest might qualify but every video I've seen of it looked boring, plus the art style is absolutely hideous imo.

Kikikiki
Jan 2, 2014, 03:18 PM
actual player-skill based combat instead of point-and-click mechanics

Wow.

PSO2.

Skills.

Not point-and-click.

http://puu.sh/5viVO

May0
Jan 2, 2014, 08:41 PM
Like...what?
Part of the reason why I really want pso2 west to be a thing is there hasn't been a decent new mmo in the west featuring actual player-skill based combat instead of point-and-click mechanics since Vindictus and elsword. Maybe you could say tera but its cooldown base made it just as much point and click to me as otherwise. Dragon's nest might qualify but every video I've seen of it looked boring, plus the art style is absolutely hideous imo.

There's dragon's prophet, its kind of a hybrid action mmo that would probably be akin to neverwinter online in terms of feel. Bless and Black desert look very interesting and both of those use skill based combat albeit they aren't out yet. I wouldn't mind actually playing dragon nest if I had someone to play it with but I understand your contempt for the art style in that game. Warframe was pretty fun from what I played of it. Blade and soul looks rather generic but promises a unique combat system so it has my attention.

I think there'a lot of fun and unique skill based games out right now (PSO2 included of course). As the genre gains popularity you're going to see more vindictuses and Teras popping up here and there.

lilibat
Jan 2, 2014, 09:42 PM
Annoying? Sometimes. It depends on the game. If I love the game enough I really don't mind. I have played through a number of my favorite single player games multiple times. I restarted Everquest twice & that truly is a slog.

As I said if I love the game enough, I really don't mind. Besides, every time I redo the journey I know a little more & it goes a little more smoothly. Not to mention, I'd rather play a game I really love for the nth time than play something new that I find to be MEH.

To each their own.

I know a few people who want to play PSO2 but really don't want to deal with the language issues. I was among them, but the EP is enough for now. I'd love to be able to read everything though/ Playing it again from scratch would be worth it just for that TO ME. YMMV.

HeyItsTHK
Jan 3, 2014, 02:15 AM
If it does come out here I'd have to watch it for a bit to see where it goes in terms of being supported.

As for starting over, I've done it in enough games that it's actually a non issue. Granted, I'm not as young and full of free time as I used to be, so I might be hesitant. If anything I'd play it on the side with friends who don't play jPSO2.

I think one of the reasons people like JP servers is because they can't understand what they are saying. They can be rude and obnoxious like everyone else.

It's a tiny reason for me. It's how I felt going from Dungeon & Fighter to Dungeon Fighter Online and going "Ugh, I instantly hate 90% of these people" but I've ran into my fair share of jackass Koreans in D&F.

spiral knights is actually good

wasn't always that way, but it has gotten pretty good

metatime
Jan 3, 2014, 08:03 AM
Wow.

PSO2.

Skills.

Not point-and-click.

http://puu.sh/5viVO

It's not WoW based gameplay, it's all live action and positioning. Don't act like an arse

Kondibon
Jan 3, 2014, 08:34 AM
It's not WoW based gameplay, it's all live action and positioning. Don't act like an arse
Pretty sure he was parodying doge/
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/the_slate_quiz/authorPortraits/pronounce_doge4.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

TaigaUC
Jan 3, 2014, 12:27 PM
WoW used to require some skill, back when I played it. Arena, etc.
I used to raid as three characters simultaneously, or solo difficult dungeons. That was fun.
I heard the whole game got simplified to crap and is super casual-friendly now.

Anyway, these games rely heavily on gear. Better gear = less skill required.
So if you want difficulty, you can technically just run around naked.
The difficulty is usually just "do the same shit over and over without dying" anyway.

Ghalion
Jan 3, 2014, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure he was parodying doge/

Not really sure what that means, looked like being an ass to me. But thanks meta.

anyway, I generally classify a game as having "skill-based combat" where you can theoretically dodge everything everyone throws at you with proper playerskill. Wow isn't "harder" by wearing no gear, it's flat out impossible, because you straight up cannot dodge enemy attacks by player skill (other than very very few scripted attacks like murmur's supernova, that poison boss in naxx's "dance attack", etc.

In PSO2, you can clear a dungeon and never take a single hit while playing solo no without amazing gear, as can you in Vindictus (though you need amazing gear to solo most raids before the 1 hour timer runs out)..

Anyway I meant melee combat games, so warframe and such aren't what I was looking for (though I do like warframe), but that dragon prophet game looked a helluva lot more generic than blade and soul if you ask me, which incidentally is half point and click too. Generally a good way to tell if a game is skill-based imo, is if it has a dodge feature built in. Specific skills that dodge with 20 second cooldowns or whatever don't count. Using mp or whatever to dodge is fair game. Elsword doesn't have a universal dodge move but the movement is fast and snappy enough that it doesn't matter.

CyberMan
Jan 6, 2014, 02:24 AM
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/28/relic-working-on-localizing-a-japanese-mmorpg-phantasy-star-online-2-incoming/

Just found this. What can you say?

Shadowth117
Jan 6, 2014, 02:38 AM
I like how that news post was copy pastaed from a thread here.

landman
Jan 6, 2014, 02:47 AM
The thread here included that news post, so it was copy and pasted the opposite way :P