PDA

View Full Version : What so special about the matterboard?

chlorodyne
Dec 29, 2013, 07:46 PM
I know there is the TMG but what else am i missing out on?

Zorafim
Dec 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
Story, and affixing items.

UnLucky
Dec 29, 2013, 08:02 PM
10*s, decent 3-4s affixes, bingo and campaign rewards, story missions (can be useful for fixed spawns)

Scale of Judgment
Dec 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
Also unlocking partner cards

oratank
Dec 29, 2013, 09:55 PM
for free

Kyra Tierney
Dec 30, 2013, 02:39 PM
Simply put: you are missing on PSO2. As of now, the only parts of the game that can be considered actual game can only be unlocked by clearing matter board (and said process requires grinding to unlock third difficulty, since items required for matter boards 8 through 11 only drop from third difficulty onwards. That's a huge step down from other online titles, where you could complete whole game in twenty hours or so and start it with another character. I honestly don't know what is Sega thinking. With no true Phantasy Star games having been released since 1993 and each subsequent game being progressively bad I am kinda starting to lose hope for proper continuation of the series.

At least the storyline is one of the best ever and is the only reason why this game is not a complete turd).

MetalDude
Dec 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
At least the storyline is one of the best ever and is the only reason why this game is not a complete turd
What. I've been constantly hearing that the story is a total mess due to use of time-traveling as well as how annoyingly anime and cliche it is like how PSU was.

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 03:07 PM
What. I've been constantly hearing that the story is a total mess due to use of time-traveling as well as how annoyingly anime and cliche it is like how PSU was.

this shit makes naruto look like fucking shakespeare

I'm not even joking this story is a disaster

every character is pulled straight off tvtropes and everything they do is seriously like yugioh: the game, now without cards

Sacrificial
Dec 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
more like each chapter being its own 5 min anime serie.

pkemr4
Dec 30, 2013, 03:29 PM

every character is pulled straight off tvtropes and everything they do is seriously like yugioh: the game, now without cards

makes gundam SEED destiny look good

shagia
Dec 30, 2013, 04:08 PM
Desert Bus has a better story than this game and that deserves to be a world record.

supersonix9
Dec 30, 2013, 04:15 PM

yeah, it's a travesty

Kyra Tierney
Dec 30, 2013, 05:11 PM
The time-travaling aspect is what makes you feel for the protagonist. Having been given the power with a potential to alter history she uses it in the most selfless way possible and that is taking on herself the suffering of everyone she saves. Seing things go wrong and having the means to set them right will keep her leaping through time no matter the toll it takes for her. As saving only selected few, while her power allows for more would not be just, the range of time leaps is increasing and the culmination will be saving literally everyone, at a price.
Protagonists this pure are rare. I wish there were more.

annoyingly anime
Wow, what an asshole. I regret reading your post at all.

jooozek
Dec 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
bronies do exist so i'm not suprised someone would like the pso2 story

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 05:16 PM
bronies do exist so i'm not suprised someone would like the pso2 story

I

you have a point

BIG OLAF
Dec 30, 2013, 05:22 PM
ITT: Saturday Morning Cartoons are good stories.

shagia
Dec 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
Opinions Are Real™

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 05:26 PM
opinions can't be right

but they sure can be wrong

and mine are less wrong than yours

Zorafim
Dec 30, 2013, 05:26 PM
Have... have you seen an episode of Friendship is Magic? I can understand you not liking it, but there's no way you can say it's poorly made.

Anyway, the story exists only to give more background on each area which is released. It's entertaining, but I'd say it's by far the worst PS story in terms of plot.

Still, I don't regret playing through it. It's quick, and easy to unlock. Unlike most of the grinding in this game, it doesn't feel like you're wasting your time when you play through it.
Unless you're hunting the rare drops. In which case, what's wrong with you?
I found all the rare matterboard drops...

shagia
Dec 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
and mine are less wrong than yours

I actually have a PhD in Opinions where I've dealt with Opinionitus for multiple years, so I think we all know who's the more educated one here man

gigawuts
Dec 30, 2013, 05:32 PM
I actually have a PhD in Opinions where I've dealt with Opinionitus for multiple years, so I think we all know who's the more educated one here man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

shagia
Dec 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
touche

[SPOILER-BOX]edit: off topic, but am i must be the only one who's suprised by the fact that there are internet arguments going on in that video's comments which is real ironic[/SPOILER-BOX]

pkemr4
Dec 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Have... have you seen an episode of Friendship is Magic? I can understand you not liking it, but there's no way you can say it's poorly made.

Anyway, the story exists only to give more background on each area which is released. It's entertaining, but I'd say it's by far the worst PS story in terms of plot.

Still, I don't regret playing through it. It's quick, and easy to unlock. Unlike most of the grinding in this game, it doesn't feel like you're wasting your time when you play through it.
Unless you're hunting the rare drops. In which case, what's wrong with you?
I found all the rare matterboard drops...

the fact that grown men liking the series and making rage faces with ponys is what drives me away from the show and not wanting anything to do with it at all. the existance of the show itself and its fandom is atrocity to humanity

MetalDude
Dec 30, 2013, 06:00 PM
Wow, what an asshole. I regret reading your post at all.
I'm referring to more stereotypical anime qualities that generally result in degenerate storylines and extremely typical jokes and punchlines. No need to be a dick and interpret that as me hating all anime ever because I don't.
As another comparison, look at PSO and PSU's story. The former is rather light, in the background, and focuses on a character's documentation of the environment around her (or for EPII, Flowen's transformation). The latter puts a whiny, angsty kid at the forefront where he is surrounded by other rather cliche characters and they have conflicts. My memory is fuzzy on PSU's story, but that is easily the more outstanding matter on its story. The focus feels completely inappropriate.

Zorafim
Dec 30, 2013, 07:03 PM
the existance of the show itself and its fandom is atrocity to humanity

The show was created for the express purpose of giving the same quality of entertainment to girls as what is given to boys. If you look at anything ever made, its quality tends to drop dramatically when marketed specifically to children, and drops even more when marketed to girls. This isn't because girls like terrible things (an argument for a later time), but because nobody even tries to give girls anything worthwhile.

The Pony's creator, annoyed with this fact, set out to create quality entertainment aimed at little girls, but meant to be enjoyable to all audiences. And I claim that she did a damn good job. Though the bright colors are jarring at first, and each name makes me cringe, there is obvious talent in the show. The animation is smooth, the plotlines are entertaining, the characters are well developed, and it's so great to finally find some medium of entertainment where the plot isn't "punch the bad guys until they stop doing bad things" I see literally everywhere now.

But, if you can't get over the fact that grown men enjoy something for little girls, fine. Honestly, if that's as far as you're willing to look, I don't want anything to do with you anyway.

I apologize for derailing the thread. Is there anything on topic we need to discuss?