PDA

View Full Version : The Prettiest Wand Gear!

Arksenth
Jan 3, 2014, 12:29 AM
So with the introduction of the new Wand Lovers update on the 15th, a Hybrid Wind Techer might not have the points to get both Wand Lovers and Elemental Weak Hit anymore. While Elemental Weak Hit is on all of the time, Wand Lovers is technically stronger when you need it, and doesn't require element-matching Wands for the damage bonus to kick in. So it feels really preferential to me now.

If you choose to go with Wand Gear, that means that it's more viable to just spec into Wand Gear for pure looks now. And that's kind of cool because Wand Gear has always had a nice visual effect.

I'm trying to decide what element to change my Windmill to, and I thought I'd turn to you, PSO-World, to help determine who will win the crown of Ms. Prettiest Wand Gear 2014!!!

Below are pictures, lifted from the JP Wiki. They aren't great representations though since all of the Wand Gears have their unique animations that end up looking pretty cool, so try using them in-game too:

FIRE:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=fire.jpg

ICE:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=ice.jpg

LIGHTNING:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=thunder.jpg

WIND:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=wind.jpg

LIGHT:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=light.jpg

DARK:
http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=dark.jpg

Resta
Jan 3, 2014, 12:41 AM
Light, its also good cuz we kill mostly darkers

Sienna
Jan 3, 2014, 12:41 AM
Fire is meh, Ice doesn't seem to give off the feeling of immutable coldness, Lightning is lame, Light is gaudy, Dark isn't trying hard enough

Have to give it to Wind

The Walrus
Jan 3, 2014, 12:48 AM
Ice cause FUCK YEAH ICE or Light cause so purdy

Voted Ice though cause I'm a whore for anything Ice.

Tenlade
Jan 3, 2014, 01:18 AM
Ice is my favorite element, shame it gets so shafted in this game.

The Fire effect always seemed a bit wimpy to me, but thats because I'm used to monster hunter's fire weapon effect, where Every hit of your weapon is an intense miniature explosion. I'm gonna have to see if I can make a youtube video tomorrow showing off the element explosions in motion.

qoxolg
Jan 3, 2014, 02:29 AM
I voted Ice because it makes such a nice and squishy sound when you hit a large group with it.

Also the poll misses the explosion when the wand has no element.

Arksenth
Jan 3, 2014, 02:32 AM
I voted Ice because it makes such a nice and squishy sound when you hit a large group with it.

Also the poll misses the explosion when the wand has no element.

Because even without EWH you're still going to be meleeing with an elemental wand lest you miss a juicy 50% wand S-ATK bonus.

NOT AN OPTION.

And yeah, sound effects. Lightning might look boring but it has a nice buzzing effect.

Still prefer the activity of Wind though.

Omega-z
Jan 3, 2014, 03:49 AM
I understand you are looking for Element for a weapon but for prettiest you need to also add Normal to the list since it has it's own flare too. http://image.swiki.jp/img1/?host=pso2&page=%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89&src=none.jpg

Also you can double your Light Flare or add one to your element with the Gem sword Zeruretchi Cameo.

UnLucky
Jan 3, 2014, 04:42 AM
Rare weapons always have an element, so as long as you're not crafting up a 1* then having no element isn't even a possibility.

Saffran
Jan 3, 2014, 04:56 AM
Unlucky > +"anymore". Because many people moaned about it.
Damn people.

qoxolg
Jan 3, 2014, 05:03 AM
Because even without EWH you're still going to be meleeing with an elemental wand lest you miss a juicy 50% wand S-ATK bonus.

NOT AN OPTION.

And yeah, sound effects. Lightning might look boring but it has a nice buzzing effect.

Still prefer the activity of Wind though.

Ah, I only looked at the poll and forgot to read the rest of your post :wacko:

Why stop at windmill? You still need a Traitor Peak to make leveling HU more fun. That way you can pick two elements and burn some meseta at the same time!

I am going to stick with both EWH AND WL and sacrifice my wind masteries. I have 3 Techer trees anyway..

UnLucky
Jan 3, 2014, 05:56 AM
Well if crafting the Windmill can bring it up, you won't need the Traitor. Even if the stats aren't as good, you'd still have the better latent.

Arksenth
Jan 3, 2014, 11:58 AM
Ah, I only looked at the poll and forgot to read the rest of your post :wacko:

Why stop at windmill? You still need a Traitor Peak to make leveling HU more fun. That way you can pick two elements and burn some meseta at the same time!

I am going to stick with both EWH AND WL and sacrifice my wind masteries. I have 3 Techer trees anyway..

No, I was only using my Windmill as a personal anecdote. :wacko: Basically, no one is allowed to find neutral Wand Gear pretty because it sucks and is not allowed to be pretty. DUH.

Wouldn't want people to think that they're actually allowed to use neutral element, like, ever.

Anyway, once you get a Sazan 16 disc, TE/FI with dual Wind Mastery is all the way to go. I'm 1hkoing or 2hkoing most mobs even in SH with that Tech - which is pretty good mind you given that it's got a line-of-sight AoE and then some suction range at the tornado. Zan remains prime bossing material if you can control the boomerangs well, and you have Sazan now for cramped spaces. And then you get to whack things for more damage once your Mirage is all applied.

So TE/HU just feels meh to me at this point. No point in getting a subpar latent Traitor Peak. Wish there was a FI-equippable wand, but even then I'm not sure if it'd outclass the Windmill. MAYBE I CAN MAKE WINDMILL FI EQUIPPABLE WITH THE UPDATE AAAAH.

I'm surprised that people are liking Light. It seems so plain and gaudy to me. Ooh you hit something and it shimmer wut.

UnLucky
Jan 3, 2014, 12:04 PM
They all have Light element for Darkers so they tell themselves they are the prettiest.

jooozek
Jan 3, 2014, 12:06 PM
why is there no "they are all equally hideous" option?

Zyrusticae
Jan 3, 2014, 12:21 PM
Still images are misleading, they all animate very differently.

My vote goes to dark knowing that its animation is the greatest. Screw everything else. DARKNESS ALL THE WAY

Arksenth
Jan 3, 2014, 12:36 PM
Dark's animation is pretty much just like a blob.

Blorup-dolrp is how I imagine the sound effect should go.

Light looks the best in a screencap, I guess, but it's absolutely hideous in-game.

Someone mentioned before they were getting a video, got those up too? The Wand Gear explosions also kind of look different if you hit a huge cluster of mobs with them rather than just one, which is something to factor in if you're playing wand TE since it happens so often with Zondeel.

gigawuts
Jan 3, 2014, 12:51 PM
Dark became an ink blob element in this game. It might look decent on a purple wand, but not much else.

Light and wind honestly the most boring IMO. They're too gaudy, and wind is just excessive noise. Light is passable because darkers are so common. If there's ever a flashlight wand light will finally be fitting on something. It can kinda get a pass on the windmill because it's one of the few wands that's actually got photons on the whacking end.

Ice's explosion is too...solid. It's just one large ice piece with a much much smaller model than the range it actually hits at. It should've been lots of ice fragments.

That leaves lightning and fire as the only semi-reasonable looking ones, IMO. They portray their element fairly well and are fitting on more weapon models (bonus points for fire on fryiing pan).

Ce'Nedra
Jan 3, 2014, 12:58 PM
As much I love lightning as an element Wind is way much better looking so I voted for Wind.

Arksenth
Jan 3, 2014, 01:15 PM
Also you can double your Light Flare or add one to your element with the Gem sword Zeruretchi Cameo.

Wand really does have some pretty great camos. I honestly can't decide which one I like better - the LOL LIGHTSWORD effect of Jewel Sword Zelritch, or the nice and heavy Aries Zodiac Mace camo with gold dust effect.

WildarmsRE5
Jan 4, 2014, 12:58 AM
aaaaaaaaand light is winning even if it is gaudy :wacko:

(voted for light)

I'm loving the people who voted for Fire.

GALEFORCE
Jan 4, 2014, 02:00 AM
Ice is the prettiest. These pictures don't really do the animations justice though. I like the little swirly effect of dark gear after the explosion. I would put fire second for its animation, tied with lightning for its sound effect.

deahamlet
Jan 4, 2014, 12:53 PM
Still images are misleading, they all animate very differently.

My vote goes to dark knowing that its animation is the greatest. Screw everything else. DARKNESS ALL THE WAY
100% agree. I make all my tech weapons Dark when I unlock them weeee.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jan 4, 2014, 01:03 PM
Fairy Type

Alenoir
Jan 4, 2014, 06:36 PM
Light does a very fancy sound when you whack things, along with the sparkles. If you want pretty, go with that.

WildarmsRE5
Jan 4, 2014, 11:45 PM
finally, a vote for fire.

NoiseHERO
Jan 5, 2014, 12:01 AM
wind should be winning since the other effects look boring and small, but where's ice's votes? D<

Sienna
Jan 5, 2014, 12:58 AM
wind should be winning since the other effects look boring and small, but where's ice's votes? D<

Sulking in a cold, damp corner as it should be doing

NoiseHERO
Jan 5, 2014, 01:10 AM

You'd know!

Being there 24-7 and all!

Sienna
Jan 5, 2014, 01:15 AM
You'd know!

Being there 24-7 and all!

Corners are the most unpleasant things in the universe, so I prefer the door

Only cobras who agonize in pain should seek refuge in a corner

Arksenth
Jan 5, 2014, 01:23 AM

You're just jealous that a green ball of photons is prettier than you!!!

Sienna
Jan 5, 2014, 01:24 AM
You're just jealous that a green ball of photons is prettier than you!!!

I suppose you prefer ice over wind then

I never knew you felt that way towards the cold

What a masochist you are, I have lost all faith in your reasoning

Lostbob117
Jan 5, 2014, 01:29 AM
I think that rockbear is the prettiest thing in the picture.

qoxolg
Jan 9, 2014, 06:05 PM
Dark's animation is pretty much just like a blob.

Blorup-dolrp is how I imagine the sound effect should go.

Light looks the best in a screencap, I guess, but it's absolutely hideous in-game.

Someone mentioned before they were getting a video, got those up too? The Wand Gear explosions also kind of look different if you hit a huge cluster of mobs with them rather than just one, which is something to factor in if you're playing wand TE since it happens so often with Zondeel.

I made a little video to try out screen recording. Sadly the sound got all messed up, so I had to cut it and replace it with some music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC15pZBEdwU

So yeah.. I now demand a new poll that also includes neutral explosions! :wacko:

gigawuts
Jan 9, 2014, 06:08 PM
Neutral explosions really are the best, but man needing a wand with no element...not to mention most rare elementless wands are collector's items by this point.

edit: It would be super nice if they'd allow no element to be an element シ

Arksenth
Jan 9, 2014, 07:20 PM
:wacko:

Neutral element is still a no.

Lightning looks a lot better on high quality though, and Dark ends up looking pretty great on a large cluster.

also how do you get killed so many times

short-hop away slightly from your zondeel before you start whacking sheesh

deahamlet
Jan 9, 2014, 07:57 PM
I made a little video to try out screen recording. Sadly the sound got all messed up, so I had to cut it and replace it with some music.

PSO2 Wand Gear Show - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC15pZBEdwU)

So yeah.. I now demand a new poll that also includes neutral explosions! :wacko:

Hahahahahaha. Awesome video, thanx for the visuals as well as the laughter.

deahamlet
Jan 9, 2014, 07:58 PM
:wacko:

Neutral element is still a no.

Lightning looks a lot better on high quality though, and Dark ends up looking pretty great on a large cluster.

also how do you get killed so many times

short-hop away slightly from your zondeel before you start whacking sheesh

He sacrificed himself for our laughter, hush you critic.

Zondeel is the best self-sabotaging tool sometimes, it's too funny.

qoxolg
Jan 10, 2014, 01:38 AM
@Giga:
Yeah, it does look pretty fancy, but the video already shows the difference in power (okok I used an ungrinded 3 star I just found). You basically miss 50% of the SATK and 20% elemental bonus and the full 20% of EWH on both the melee and explosion. Still on a large group, it would kill in just a couple of wacks. I think I will make a neutral 6 star wand when crafting arrives, just for the heck of it. I can at least use it on Quartz and Ex when their armor isn't broken. That should be worth something :wacko:

Edit:
I just hope the next difficulty will bring huge resistances back, like ultimate in PSO1. This would also include striking and ranged resistances. Striking and ranging also should be able to get a %. Maybe that would force people to do more then just the same PA the whole day.

Oh, and there needs to be a special S roll resistance enemies that will reflect all damage back :wacko:

@Arks:
Neutral wands also have rights!

I must say, after these videos I'd go for either light or wind and then maybe lightning.

The dieing had more to do with unnatural large amounts of enemies. On normal spawns I don't die, but for these I tried herding enemies from the whole map. The groups I died on had enemies that use attacks with hyper armor. In FC there were like 6 Baridans in the group that all decided to fire their lazors all at once. In Seabed it was the sharks (lol they even kept on going after I was death. Forest was just plain stupidity on my side :wacko: I sometimes have these days I die the whole time and sometimes I can do a ton of AQs in a row without dieing once.

@Mr Ham:
Yeah, it's the ultimate suicide tool if not careful! But I love danger and I am lazy!

Arksenth
Jan 10, 2014, 01:58 AM
Wand strike damage is pretty impressive in these videos, but I suppose you're running with TE/HU as opposed to TE/FI - your Zan seems to do about half as much damage as mine's. What kind of a unit set do you run with? Currently, I'm running with a Primula Set specced solely for T-ATK and PP, and it does great for my Sazan/Zan output. I'm still trying to decide if it's necessary for me to switch it over to a hybrid Malluda/Power/Tech/Spirita set or not, or if the extra 150 S-ATK isn't worth the hassle. I'd go for it, but I'd have to affix it personally since no one sells hybrid pre-affixed sets, and Ringa/Malluda units are kind of a pain to come by on the market, especially at 4s.

neutral wands can all go into the trash pls

qoxolg
Jan 11, 2014, 06:33 AM
Yeah, sure is powerful! even the triple boosted El Ahda's didn't stand much of a chance, due to stun lock. I am indeed running TE/HU. TE has a bit of wind masteries and EWH and the basic melee techer stuff. HU is full fury.

I think I didn't JA the Zans, since t was only for charging and I didn't want to damage the enemies to much with techs. JA'd I think my Zan would do ~40% more damage.

My units are also the Primula set, but I haven't bothered to affix them yet. I think 2 of them have a Vol soul and one a Quartz, but I am thinking of going for SATK + HP affixes. I've mostly been leveling my 3 other characters to 50, so I haven't touched my techer much since they released SH, other then doing EQ's.