PDA

View Full Version : In a couple of years, will you remember PSO2 the same way you did with PSO1/U?

Agitated_AT
Jan 18, 2014, 05:49 PM
Obviously this is a question for those who have played the previous games, but if PSO2 is your first phantasy star online game then go ahead and share your thoughts as well.

For me personally not even close. Nothing about the game has touched me the same way previous games have. At first I wasn't too sure what to think about the game, it took me a long while to have a definite opinion about it because things are just all over the place. On one side the combat had potential to be part of the greatest online experience ever, only for the rest of the game to be everything that makes a F2p game today terrible.

Zorafim
Jan 18, 2014, 05:58 PM
No, unfortunately. First of all, I'm much older, so things don't effect me as much as they used to. But beyond that, I've barely touched the game. It was nice when everything was challenging, but now everyone's just plows through everything. And yet, soloing is still far too tedious to bother with.

However, this is my best rendition of Levia to date, and I may even go so far as to finalize her looks soon because of this game. So, I have that going for me.

Macman
Jan 18, 2014, 06:04 PM
No, but that's mostly because times have changed.

Edson Drake
Jan 18, 2014, 06:19 PM
PSO was awesome and I still play it with friends when I can.

But I really enjoy the updated mechanics of PSO2. If only we could have PSO with PSO2's engine...

NoiseHERO
Jan 18, 2014, 06:22 PM
Not being 11 or 14 anymore.

Smaller community.

Less patience for online games that throw bullshit at you.

PSO2 NOT being PSO/PSU.

Thinking that "if this game is building off of where portable series left off it should be the best online game in existence" then that NOT happening.

Realizing this whole series is mediocre to begin with outside of a few ideas that would've been earth shattering if used by someone not named SEGA.

Becoming Korean F2P with cashshop style game design.

Half of my friends not wanting to play because it was in Japanese.

This game is actually so uneventful while playing, that this is the first time in the series I felt the need to become a regular poster on PSOW just for extra "kicks."

If I could put a Mastersword inside of a rock and travel back to the first time I played PSO with 3 other friends, or re-live my first week of PSU as if I've never played the games before I would.

I would not say the same for PSO2.

darkante
Jan 18, 2014, 06:25 PM
Pros:Random spawns and layouts
Random objective during missions
More freedom of customization
More varied attacks
More people = More Mobs

Cons: More people = Things gets exterminated so fast it isnīt even funny.
(Could use some actual balance there, enemies should become tougher, faster and less flinchy the more people are around)

Lonewolf = Less mobs ( I tend to like going Lonewolf in games to challenge myself but damn)

At least thatīs how i saw things back in 2012.

MetalDude
Jan 18, 2014, 06:32 PM
No. As someone with a game design mentality, everything about cash shop pisses me off. It means that development priorities rarely focus on making genuine improvements to the game on a week-to-week basis.

Shirai
Jan 18, 2014, 06:41 PM
No.
Reason: Everything

Kelwine
Jan 18, 2014, 06:48 PM
I really enjoy PSO2, if only because it's one of the few MMOs I've found that doesn't employ action-bar combat, which I'm really starting to hate.

Will I remember it in the same light? No, partially because times have changed and I've gotten older.

Will I remember it positively and in a similar way? Yes. I've always been a phantasy star fan.

gigawuts
Jan 18, 2014, 06:48 PM
No for two simple reasons: They're different games, and by the time I got into PSO1 it had been polished up and expanded on several times already.

I won't delve into other factors, such as droprates or grinding, since those fall under the domain of F2P design - which is a part of them being different games.

Freshellent
Jan 18, 2014, 06:53 PM
Goddamn you guys can be depressing.

Everything I've been doing in this game 'cept paying for character slots and quality of life stuff- beats the ever living fuck out of being benched for raids, wiping for 3 hours on the same boss because someone can't fucking dispell or any other number of bullshit.

For me, the Phantasy Star series as a whole has impacted me greatly, so each version brings something new to the table. I'll still never hold 2 in the regards that I hold the first one, or Universe, but I can say I'm relatively enjoying myself. Amongst all the negativity, I'm definitely finding this to be infinitely more enjoyable than a lot of stuff I normally put myself though.

I'm a fucking space robot surrounded by bouncing tits and lasers and shit. Everything is fucking amazing right now.

NoiseHERO
Jan 18, 2014, 07:04 PM
Goddamn you guys can be depressing.

Nah we just became aware of our Stockholm Syndromez Gomez.

Angelo
Jan 18, 2014, 07:07 PM
Most likely.

It's usually because of the events that are tied to the game, and not the game itself. Any game I play for long periods of time brings a heavy sense of 'saudade'.

PSU was arguably the worst game of the lot, but my memories of it are the fondest because of the people I played were close friends. Years later I was surprised at the feeling I got listening to the Ohtoku City theme.

PSO reminds me of my first actual girlfriend in highschool, and convincing her to play PSO. She ended up outleveling me by the time it was over.

PSPortable reminds me of having my first house with my ex-wife. Trying to save up for PSPs and attempting to communicate with the shoddy chat on the PSP with other players

PSO2 is already making me feel nostalgic. I rarely run Forest anymore, but when I hear the song it reminds me of playing the alphas and betas, which were quite some time ago. Reconnecting with old PSO friends, and using the game as a way to cope with my ex's affair by keeping busy; it was a heavy time.

So all and all, any game I invest time in is going to bring back strong memories. It just so happens that I really like these Phantasy Star games.

jooozek
Jan 18, 2014, 07:11 PM
i'll always remember pso2 as "that game that went ahead and wiped peoples hard drives"

Shinamori
Jan 18, 2014, 07:12 PM
I'll look back on it in 10 years when someone makes server emulation software for this.

shagia
Jan 18, 2014, 07:16 PM
i'll always remember pso2 as "that game that went ahead and wiped peoples hard drives"

quoted hahaha

Zorafim
Jan 18, 2014, 07:24 PM
I'm a fucking space robot surrounded by bouncing tits and lasers and shit. Everything is fucking amazing right now.

You make a strong argument.

Also, I still don't understand raiding. When you do it right, it's tedious. When you do it wrong, it's frustrating. What's there to like?

Bozhestvo
Jan 18, 2014, 07:26 PM
The thing is that they are totally different..

Ezodagrom
Jan 18, 2014, 07:32 PM
So far, overall I'm enjoying PSO2 more than I enjoyed any of the previous phantasy star games, so most likely, whenever I stop playing PSO2 (I don't see myself stopping any time soon), I'll have more fond memories of PSO2 than PSO or PSU.

PSO, I enjoyed it when I played it, but it never had a lasting appeal to me, I could never play it for more than a few months without getting bored.
What I disliked the most in PSO was ultimate mode, between how cheap some of the areas are (*cough* megid) and the gap between each area, needing to grind in an area to be able to play further ones confortably, once I reached ultimate PSO would get boring quickly for me.

PSU, had a much more long term appeal than PSO to me, but, with how the lobbies/quests worked, spreading out the already small community, the very slow release of "high" level quests (lvl cap being 160 and highest level enemies being like lvl 140 or something like that?) and the messed up difficulty modes (A difficulty mode with lvl 120+ enemies in a certain quest, S2 difficulty mode with lvl 80+ enemies in another quest), it's a game I don't miss playing at all.

PSPo2/Infinity, only tried the PSPo2 story mode, but, while it fixes alot of flaws from PSU, the PSP (the handheld) just didn't feel very confortable to play in (so, my problem with PSPo2 was not the game itself, but the platform).

PSO2, fixes some problems I had with previous games (finally they got rid of the accuracy/evasion systems, melee and ranged weapons having their own attack stats instead of sharing the same "ATP" stat), and it introduces new problems (like too many things dependent on RNG, and the whole MPA system, I thought it was an interesting idea at first, I liked running into other players mid quests, but I hate how it devolved into mindlessly running in circles), but so far I'm still enjoying it more than both PSO and PSU.

Endykins
Jan 18, 2014, 07:43 PM
I see myself playing PSO2 much longer than i played PSU, So theres that.

strikerhunter
Jan 18, 2014, 07:45 PM
Probably the only thing I will remember PSO2 is the combat since it's the first few MMOs to break away from the old hit-skill-box layout (i know, it's technically not an MMO but Sega is labeling it as an MMO so shut it). Other than that, it probably be the people (like most games) and the character creation.

Pros:
[SPOILER-BOX]-Random Objectives to make things feel not as repetitive.
-Random Boss encounters.
-Good combat (good but not very engaging like PSP2i's combat)
-Good Character creation (but many upcoming games are matching and surpassing it now)
-Good boss designs (not all).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Cons: (You all probably already know >_> )
[SPOILER-BOX]-Too much randomness makes things bad.
-Too much reliance on RNG.
-Players only logging in for scheduled EQs now.
-Risk vs Benefit factor is more on the risk side due to RNG/luck.
-No enough variety.
-Idiotic mobs and bosses.
-Everything mobs/boss can kill you in less than 5 hits unless you are a tank.
-Poor skill tree balance among the skill tree itself and in comparison to other classes.[/SPOILER-BOX]

IMO, PSO2 should had built of from what PSP2/PSP2i instead of restarting from scrap but then again this is a F2P MMO and as much as we all know, most F2P MMO aren't even that successful in lots of areas (most are now relying on RNG).

Although I'm not playing PSO2 as much as I am when I began, I'm still playing it nearly everyday because I still find the game fun to play. So I really don't see myself stop playing PSO2 in the future unless some other MMO RPG or any RPG games (other than Monster Hunter) that does everything I like bout PSO2 better.

Kilich
Jan 18, 2014, 07:56 PM
I'll remember it fondly, if I don't forget. For my character, for the setting and ideas that PS series has, PSO2 included, and that it is a sci fi action mmo amidst medieval point and clicks, and people that I play with.

gigawuts
Jan 18, 2014, 08:13 PM

This is pretty much why I continue to play this game.

The Walrus
Jan 18, 2014, 08:43 PM
I think the only thing I'll look back fondly on is it having the best combat (well, at least when it comes to what the player can do) I've ever experienced in an "MMO". Also dress up.

Still more things to look back and enjoy than PSU...of which there was none...

But yeah more than anything I'll look back at this as the perfect example of a game with so much potential squandered for the sake of the almighty Ĩ.

EDIT: Can't help but wonder if I'd enjoy this more had I come in closer to the end of its life like I did with PSO (came in on EP1&2+ but mainly got into it with BB). This was also part of the problem with PSU, cause vanilla was shit.

HBK666
Jan 18, 2014, 08:47 PM
http://cdn.niketalk.com/3/36/3621e301_CamronNope_zpsd0cfb3c9.gif

Walkure
Jan 18, 2014, 10:59 PM
I'm a fucking space robot surrounded by bouncing tits and lasers and shit. Everything is fucking amazing right now.This guy knows what's up.

You make a strong argument.

Also, I still don't understand raiding. When you do it right, it's tedious. When you do it wrong, it's frustrating. What's there to like?It's great with a game that has fairly intricate and in-depth mechanics, and a group with a solid core of knowledgeable and fun-to-play-with players. The rest follows from there.

Not to say that PUGs are bad; they can be especially good if critical components are covered by a small group of people who know each other and/or know what they're doing.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 19, 2014, 04:54 AM
As the game has been getting better the pass updates it makes me hate all the time I spent on the PSP games as well as PSU so theres that. At least PSO and this don't feel like I wasted my time like PSU and the PSP games made me feel.

Zorafim
Jan 19, 2014, 05:45 AM
I will say this game has the best combat system and the best character customization of any game I've played. From now on, I will scowl at my creations and think "Why can't I get her to look like she did in PSO2?" And as I play action games, I will think "Why can't they move as fluidly as PSO2?"

Really, like all Sega games, this game's just got one big flaw that overshadows all the great things about it. If the character strength was well balanced, I would probably enjoy doing just about anything. And if there was something to do, I probably wouldn't mind the balance all that much. Unfortunately, I have what I have and nothing else.

Reyva
Jan 19, 2014, 06:01 AM
In a couple years? Lol no. PSO2 was fun at first.............but it kinda died off. I tried getting back into it after taking a long break from it after a while, but it failed.

To me it was like >>> Update with new fashion released >>>> logging in to get the cool fashion >>>> then play around with it for 5 mins >>>> then log off. Game looks really nice on my Samsung 40", but the TV and surround sound system can't make it any better.

Sorry, but PSU despite its faults was one of my memorable games. Had a lot of good times with people. Same thing with PSO. PSO2 just never had the same feeling for me unfortunately even though I had some fun moments.

Spliffman
Jan 19, 2014, 08:28 AM
I like to take it for what it is. I played 1000's of hours on DC and GC, never played PSU. When I played the DC version it was the first game I ever played where I could link up with my mates and not be in the same room and play a game. I was amazed by the rare drops and the buzz of finding SPECIAL WEAPONS.

No game has ever really recreated that feeling for me. The thing with PSO 2 is it does rekindle that relaxing feeling in some way. I love the setting, the universe, the sci fi vibe, the tranquil music, the feeling of finding a good upgrade, chatting with a few likeminded souls in a lobby, working out some of the deeper game mechanics, and that is rare to find all those things in a game for me.

it wont surpass PSO as that was my first experience and those always hold more weight, but I appreciate this game a lot, and all the hard work people have put in so people like me can log in and understand a lot of the text, I wouldnt have been able to play this game without the english patches.

AlaskanKactus
Jan 19, 2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, mainly because I'm enjoying the game for what it does right and not its large flaws. I think many people here like to dwell on the game's major flaws and let that destroy they're experience. Its no secret, every PS game had its share of negatives why should this one be any different.
My timeline: PSO DC > PSO XBOX > PSO BB > PSU 360 > PSO2

I love the combat, character creation, boss designs, random E-trials, and random maps (to an extent). The stream of content is fine, the focus on dress up doesn't bother me much because I can accept the fact that Character customization is one of the pillars of PSO2. I've made some great memories in this game and can say that despite its flaws, I would much rather play this game than other MMOs (even though I consider PSO2 to be a Online RPG). I'm so tired of the action-bar method and really wish more games would go the Action-RPG route.

TLDR: Its a great game despite its imperfections, people need to stop being so negative.

The Walrus
Jan 19, 2014, 02:13 PM
People will stop being so negative when the game deserves praise.

They improved on things that make a lot of MMOs boring to play (COMBAT), but at the same time got a lot of the stuff that MMOs do well wrong :/

yoshiblue
Jan 19, 2014, 02:21 PM
The game is cool. Made me give the most back story to any character I have ever been bothered to make. Still prefer this game's character creator over most other ones and the combat is pretty nice. Won't lie that there are flaws I wish were fixed but its still a good game none the less.

I'll just leave this here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jles_BMgynE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jles_BMgynE

The Walrus
Jan 19, 2014, 02:24 PM
Can you feel the sunshine > rest of the ost

MetalDude
Jan 19, 2014, 02:27 PM
The stream of content is fine? Have you seen the road map for the first half of this year? It's dripfeed to an insane degree. The only thing to care about on there is new PAs and Technics.

AlaskanKactus
Jan 19, 2014, 02:48 PM
Once again, the stream of content is fine (ok, decent, alright). Considering I've accepted the fact that SEGA is putting Fashion Updates before Gameplay elements/fixes. Enjoy the game for what it is. If you're still trying to play this game expecting the gamplay will get better/fixed in a single update then you might as well leave.

MetalDude
Jan 19, 2014, 02:51 PM
Accepting the fact doesn't somehow change that it's still a huge disservice to the game.

AlaskanKactus
Jan 19, 2014, 03:00 PM
Accepting the fact doesn't somehow change that it's still a huge disservice to the game.

You're right it doesn't negate the fact that PSO2 can be and should be better but then again, how was PSU any better?

You can't really count PSO since it's what started the online series and there wasn't much to compare it to back then.

RadiantLegend
Jan 19, 2014, 03:04 PM
YES!

This is the best my CAST has ever looked and many years laterwhen I look back at my pictures i'll be reminiscing the old days. As much as I disliked PSU I still end up missing it at times.

Retehi
Jan 19, 2014, 03:10 PM
Sure I'll remember it, the same way I remember a staph infection, or seeing hobos making out on a street corner.

pkemr4
Jan 19, 2014, 04:40 PM
if there was a mmorpg that isnt a clone of WoW or GW or FF14 but had the gameplay and style of pso2 i would be playing it.

Walkure
Jan 19, 2014, 05:45 PM
MMOI'm not sure how PSO2 is massively multiplayer. The party limitation is 4, and despite MPAs being a thing, there really isn't a whole focus towards making a pre-made MPA for anything. Furthermore, outside of Falz and Mining it really seems like the game was built around parties of 2-4 being the norm.

While Mining Base Defense is fun, it's still not massively multiplayer. I'd regularly have Dynamis groups in FFXI that had three times as many people in the same map. And that was endgame content. For something similar to Emergency Quests, there was Besieged, which in it's most popular phase would have up to 700 people on the same goddamn map, battling a giant horde of enemies. Or Campaign, which was smaller-scale content made entirely of like solo-duo people of higher levels defending points on a map. Those would also have groups of 12-20 people regularly, just as some little fun thing to do and get a little (seriously little) amount of exp/resources for.

On joining, friends told me the game was like a mixture of Monster Hunter with some elements of FFXI. It's a hell of a lot more comparable in gameplay with the former than the latter, and, honestly, that's a pretty good thing as far as combat goes.

Gardios
Jan 19, 2014, 06:09 PM
if there was a mmorpg that isnt a clone of WoW or GW or FF14 but had the gameplay and style of pso2 i would be playing it.

I've recently started playing TERA and it's quite fun. The loli:average human ratio is also approximately the same. :wacko:

Resta
Jan 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
I'm sick of TAs

pkemr4
Jan 19, 2014, 06:55 PM
I've recently started playing TERA and it's quite fun. The loli:average human ratio is also approximately the same. :wacko:

hows the combat int it? how much RNG BS is there?

Keyblade59
Jan 19, 2014, 07:06 PM
I've made my fair share of friends in PSO2, and good friends in my team, but I can't say I really will have feelings for PSO2 that are as strong as PSO1 for me, I still play that game, despite the lack of online interaction, or friends who play it. I can't describe why it doesn't fill the spot that PSO1 has

Freshellent
Jan 19, 2014, 07:14 PM
RNG BS exists in nearly every 'MMO' type game or otherwise. There's always the argument about PSO being an MMO but really- who fucking cares at this point because MMOs have changed so much over the years it's more of a loose term than anything.

The economy is 'massive'- the amount of players you encounter in a day could be argued as 'massive'- we could list tons of different shit but really, it doesn't matter anymore. It's a F2P 'mmo' to some degree. People used to make this same argument about the first Guild Wars but it's still listed as an MMO. It doesn't goddamn matter because it's changed so much now.

TERA was a pretty decent game- great RP community. The only major downfall was some glaring oversights in balance and just generally strange mechanics. It's got some moments where it really shines and others where you just stare at your screen wondering why you bothered.

Just like every other game we play.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 19, 2014, 08:59 PM
hows the combat int it? how much RNG BS is there?

the combat is only ok. its sort of like PSO2 and monster hunter. as for the RNG its all the same shit as any other rpg

Blest
Jan 20, 2014, 02:00 PM
negative...it just doesnt feel the same. For me its the lack of offline play. I used to play all day and night with friends and collect rares together. And the 10 star passes bug the hell outta me.
The f2p model kills the nostalgia for me.

The game doesnt really feel the same basically.

Zeota
Jan 20, 2014, 05:20 PM
Two different games, two different eras.

I'll remember them for different things. I was 20 when I first played PSO back in the day and it was unlike anything out there at the time. I'll remember PSO for the friends I made and the fact I'm still in touch with a handful of them to this day. Despite its niggles, I still find PSO2 enjoyable and have made a few friends within my team as well.

ThePendragon
Jan 20, 2014, 08:00 PM
PSO was not a very good game. Lots of nostalgia associated, but the community since then does their best to kill that.

PSU was great.

PSO2 is best.

landman
Jan 20, 2014, 08:05 PM
PSU improved many things from PSO, and PSO2 improves many things from PSU, and the handheld games in the middle (DS and PSP) "tested" many things that are now on PSO2. Different games, different appeals, and different memories, but all of them as a whole I suppose. I'm usually more in the "progress boat" than the nostalgia one, and while knowing each game has its flaws, I've never had a problem enjoying them.

Agitated_AT
Jan 21, 2014, 02:36 AM
PSO was not a very good game. Lots of nostalgia associated, but the community since then does their best to kill that.

PSU was great.

PSO2 is best.

You're discrediting good gamedesign. It's something you gotta be able to see and appreciate when it's good, even when the execution has aged. I mean conceptually PSO1 is really amazing.

Let me put it this way. If PSO2 was made today, with the state of mind they had then(I assume very passionate), without a doubt i'd say it could have been an incredible game today.

MoonlightMyau
Jan 21, 2014, 03:05 AM
Probably not, no. I got PSO on the back of being a huge PS classics fan & purely by chance I saw the Japanese version of PSO in a local one off games shop. I went home, had a google & was by chance already getting a Dreamcast for Christmas. PSO was promptly added to the list for Santa.

I was young enough that Christmas was still a huge deal & so there was a build up of excitement.

It was my first online RPG & I was absolutely hooked. Many teenage years spent on the DC & GC versions of the game, often 20+ hours a day. Some of my best friends came from PSO & I still dabble in Blue Burst.

So PSO is kind of special.

While I thoroughly enjoyed PSU, it never quite grabbed me in the same way, my life had changed by then & I never got to through myself into it properly. I was only really beginning to enjoy it when the server shutdown was announced.

It's taken me a while to make a character I like in PSO2 & I've finally settled on Ship 2 after moving around a lot. I think the game it's self is as a good as PSO & better than PSU - but you can't really recreate the same thing twice in terms of memories etc.

Laxedrane
Jan 21, 2014, 06:07 AM
If the servers shut down tomorrow? Probably not. Then again the game is not as old as the other two major entries so maybe that's why for me.

I do say some of my favorite memories of this game was of the days when we only had hard and level 40. Back when a zone boss popped it had some weight instead of just being another E code to clear.

It's one of the few reasons I am looking forward to a localize version if they start that far back. That and it's a chance for them to rebalance things like skill trees without worrying about back lash from players.

It feels like they are trying to get us back to that point but who knows if they can.

FacelessRed
Jan 21, 2014, 06:54 AM
I would but not the same way, and not because i don't like it. I'm older now, I just don't get the same feeling from games or nostalgic attachment.

Even replaying really old games I loved doesn't have the same effect. Nothing is ever as good as you remember it to be.

But I will remember this game because there are a lot of things this game has done that breaks the mold completely for Online MMO's and that future games need to be doing some of the great NON-WOW things PSO2 has done.

(And to those saying the game was better early on... No, it really wasn't, just the noob factor and what you understand has changed)

Sanguine2009
Jan 21, 2014, 07:27 AM
as pso2 is now i dont think i will, maybe after a few years if it has more to do than run in a circle for hours, run the same 5 maps for money, or hope mining defense is next hour. rare weapons that are more than a skin and higher damage would be nice, as well as some semblance of balance.

though i think the real reason is compared to pso pso2 feels like it lacks the atmosphere(something i blame on the awful randomly generated maps)

Coatl
Jan 21, 2014, 10:57 AM
but you can't really recreate the same thing twice in terms of memories etc.

Pretty much this. PSO2 has obvious flaws yeah, but it's impossible for PSO2 to ever have the same WOW effect that PSO1 did. The two games are set in a completely different time period almost really.

Gama
Jan 21, 2014, 02:04 PM
pso was a simple game with a strong core gameplay.

pso's market was pretty much photon drop/sphere transactions, and that was it.

pso2 is fun to play casually but when you try to play more seriously you will go insane.

pso2's market is over complicated with lots and lots of trash, trading is disabled unless your premium, thanks to crafting the overflow of crap is being replaced by frags.

the game is ruled by not so random rng

and unless youre like giga or lucky you will probably fail to grasp the game entirely.

the fact that sega is unable to understand that every class should be balanced and excel in different tasks, makes class/subclass selection rocketscience.

making a good weapon on pso was pretty much finding it and grinding it.

on pso2 you need to find the weapon, fail to grind it eventually finaly grind it, then unlock it, regrind it, unlock, regrind, wich is a very frustrating process for someone who wants to play.

then like said previously by others sega just slaps bandages on the game, oh braver isnt good? ok have some op boosts here to make every other class useless.

oh forces are weak? ok have a power boost.

oh the game is too hard? ok well make the enemies dumb as hell. like higher dificulty should mean higher dificulty not just more hp.

i could go on for ages.

and finaly.

nostalgia is a bitch because were not going to be 12 again and we will never feel like we did on pso, so we will forever feel that the game isnt good enought because it does not deliver the same sensation we had when we were 12.

ThePendragon
Jan 21, 2014, 02:13 PM
You're discrediting good gamedesign. It's something you gotta be able to see and appreciate when it's good, even when the execution has aged. I mean conceptually PSO1 is really amazing.

Let me put it this way. If PSO2 was made today, with the state of mind they had then(I assume very passionate), without a doubt i'd say it could have been an incredible game today.

It was good, given what they were capable of at the time. It does not hold up well at all. Hell, it didn't hold up well a few years after release.

gigawuts
Jan 21, 2014, 02:25 PM
It was good, given what they were capable of at the time. It does not hold up well at all. Hell, it didn't hold up well a few years after release.

While not entirely incorrect depending on your perspective, and I even agree given that perspective, the exact same argument could be made about Pacman and the original Zelda - both of which were earth shattering for their time. The controls are annoying, glitches aren't entirely difficult to find, and they're overly simple.

Yet they hold up when you examine them on a conceptual level, what came before them, and consider the technology of the time.

PSO2 doesn't really seem to do much but imitate what already exists, which is something I dislike but I understand. There's really not that much more to innovate with this exact style of game, and Sega has become extremely risk-averse lately so this was pretty much expected.

Gama
Jan 21, 2014, 02:34 PM
wise words of giga.

Arkanoid
Jan 21, 2014, 02:59 PM
nostalgia is a bitch because were not going to be 12 again and we will never feel like we did on pso, so we will forever feel that the game isnt good enought because it does not deliver the same sensation we had when we were 12.

It's funny how a lot of people are saying this and it does happen to apply to the vast majority of people here. Quick! We need someone in their 30's to tell us how PSO made them feel in their 20's!

gigawuts
Jan 21, 2014, 03:07 PM
People are always going on about nostalgia, it's usually a kneejerk reaction to try to tell someone they disagree with they're wrong with a standard lazy buzzword reason.

I tend to just like games from that time more in general. I played Half Life 2 before Half Life 1 yet I still prefer Half Life 1 by leaps and bounds. It had a better atmosphere, more streamlined gameplay, and gave resources to modders that helped bring many mods and games to where they are today. Honestly, the only thing I feel HL2 did better was physics puzzles.

Nostalgia? No. Preference? Yes.

Shinureal
Jan 21, 2014, 03:40 PM
I don't know about the future guys, but, PSO has always a place in my heart, PSU, not that much, and PSO2, well it's a good game but I don't know if I'll remember it in the future, let's wait and see.
*disappears in smoke*

ThaiSoup
Jan 22, 2014, 12:33 AM
I'll remember it as for different reasons. PSO goes down as the game that really got me into the genre and was really that entry level drug that dug me deep.

PSU a great game by all means, however well... There was a good time when a bunch of people would go on about "Who is Thaisoup in game?" because I was infamous for trades, threads and getting them gears and well, by all means being a EJ. I do recall a certain time when people found out my association with Endykins and lightdamage aka Grimace and they got spammed with mails trying to figure out the secret. All of this somewhat indirectly links to part of what I consider a con that I understand about the game. I can't interact and trade with the entire community because you get locked into ships when you make a character. All in all that won't stop me from putting reality checks into peoples crurazhee values of their items but still it doesn't have that same feel.

As a game itself, I feel it will be memorable but the game itself is still in its early stages of content imo and I'm sure as time passes there will be some bigger changes that will make a large impact on PSO2. I do appreciate how the game is slowly making its way into more of a action game as a very in depth player of games like Devil May Cry. Obviously though, PSO2 is a far shout from that complexity and options of the 3/4 from such a series.

Jungo Torii
Jan 22, 2014, 12:42 AM
Nope.

Probably because I was too young to be playing online games on the Dreamcast and whatnot.

Will this game be memorable in general for me? Probably, considering it's the second mmo I ever really got into. But it's more for the people I've met and friends I've made than the game itself at this point.