PDA

View Full Version : Talis Tech Bonus

SolarLynian
Jan 19, 2014, 03:14 AM
Can someone clarify this skill to me? Like, the technical catch it has or any confirmation that it really is verbatim? I know little about in-game damage calculations.

Also, after reading this (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204080) thread from about a year ago I saw that rods were the preferred weapon for damage because of the "significant gap" between talises and rods.
Just how big is this gap? I compared some of the wiki weapons and it seems like a 20% technique damage increase passive would put talises on par with rods.

Rakurai
Jan 19, 2014, 04:42 AM
Talis do more damage then rods when you're taking advantage of Talis Tech Bonus, which is a simple matter of throwing your talis before you use a tech.

It can be really inconvenient to use certain techs with a talis, though, so rods aren't obsolete.

Walkure
Jan 19, 2014, 10:30 AM
Can someone clarify this skill to me?
You throw your card, and then cast a spell from the card to get a 20% damage bonus.

Also, after reading this (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204080) thread from about a year ago I saw that rods were the preferred weapon for damage because of the "significant gap" between talises and rods.
Just how big is this gap? I compared some of the wiki weapons and it seems like a 20% technique damage increase passive would put talises on par with rods.The gap is due to TATK; the difference between the two top-end Rod and Talis with Immediate Justice is 1060-879=181 TATK. This makes for a ~9-10% increase in damage in using a rod over a talis normally. With the talis mod, the talis instead has a 9-10% advantage in damage.

In terms of tech usage, it's easier to use directed spells (nafoie, sazonde, zan) with a rod, and it's usually much safer to have AoE's from a distance using talises anyways, especially with large zondeels. Single-targest spells are about the same with either setup, although if you get hit you'll need to let a talis card deactivate or move to your own card before you can actually heal yourself.

So, outside of Elysion, most forces seem to use a rod/wand for directed spells while using mostly talis for AoEs and single-target spells.

holmwood
Jan 19, 2014, 11:02 AM
You throw your card, and then cast a spell from the card to get a 20% damage bonus.
The gap is due to TATK; the difference between the two top-end Rod and Talis with Immediate Justice is 1060-879=181 TATK. This makes for a ~9-10% increase in damage in using a rod over a talis normally. With the talis mod, the talis instead has a 9-10% advantage in damage.

In terms of tech usage, it's easier to use directed spells (nafoie, sazonde, zan) with a rod, and it's usually much safer to have AoE's from a distance using talises anyways, especially with large zondeels. Single-targest spells are about the same with either setup, although if you get hit you'll need to let a talis card deactivate or move to your own card before you can actually heal yourself.

So, outside of Elysion, most forces seem to use a rod/wand for directed spells while using mostly talis for AoEs and single-target spells.

It's 20% increase in damage overall i believe, not just weapon stat. This would make talis damage far more superior.

gigawuts
Jan 19, 2014, 11:05 AM
Correct, it's a multiplier in the same vein as Tech Charge Advance, except it requires a thrown talis within a set time frame instead of charging a tech.

UnLucky
Jan 19, 2014, 11:25 AM
Incorrect, since that 10% figure is overall damage. Unless you consider that to much to be "far more superior" especially since it requires SP.

Rods are ~20% stronger than tali, weapons account for ~50% of your stats, so using a rod is a ~10% increase overall. Talis Tech Bonus is 20% overall damage for 5SP, which could be spent on 5% from another skill. So in the end you're getting a 5% increase compared to a rod main, but with thrown talis cards instead.

Walkure
Jan 19, 2014, 11:49 AM
It's 20% increase in damage overall i believe, not just weapon stat. This would make talis damage far more superior.
Yes, it has a multiplier of 1.2. Talis, without this bonus, does about 91% of the damage that a rod would due to the attack differences.

Without mastery:
http://i.imgur.com/lr51UFk.png
With:
http://i.imgur.com/6H6tKUp.png

holmwood
Jan 19, 2014, 12:47 PM
Incorrect, since that 10% figure is overall damage. Unless you consider that to much to be "far more superior" especially since it requires SP.

Rods are ~20% stronger than tali, weapons account for ~50% of your stats, so using a rod is a ~10% increase overall. Talis Tech Bonus is 20% overall damage for 5SP, which could be spent on 5% from another skill. So in the end you're getting a 5% increase compared to a rod main, but with thrown talis cards instead.

Rod main it is then.

Kelwine
Jan 19, 2014, 01:34 PM
Also keep in mind your personal preferences when deciding. I can't really stand rods, for the most part, and much prefer talis.

I use both, since some technics are better used from a rod, but I use a talis far more often. With the bonus.

The Walrus
Jan 19, 2014, 01:43 PM
Talis are also pretty stylish. Which is the most important thing by far.

SolarLynian
Jan 19, 2014, 01:53 PM
Thank you so much for your responses! I'm happy it doesn't have creepy hidden mechanics like PP Convert.

I find it a little easier to use talises -- it reminds me of a puppetry class on another game -- but I'll keep playing with the weapons until I feel solid with how I want to set up each of my weapon slots.

jooozek
Jan 19, 2014, 01:57 PM
what creepy hidden mechanics does PP convert have? i mean, i have it on my techer tree and i use the skill frequently but i have no idea what are you talking about

SolarLynian
Jan 19, 2014, 02:11 PM
"+# PP per tick," and per tick is actually .2 seconds.

I don't see any explanations in-game about ticks or how long one should be.