PDA

View Full Version : A new wiki perhaps?

Shinamori
Jan 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
I dunno, I mean I appropriated the editor of Cirnopedia (who I hear prefers to work alone), but I personally think we should have a wiki that we can freely edit at anytime. A community-based wiki if you will. Something like Japanese wiki, but in English and not Google Translate English. Just a thought I had. I tried starting one myself with one of those free Mediawiki-based services, but didn't last too long. Anyway, it's just something I wanted to throw out there.

Daiyousei
Jan 28, 2014, 08:50 PM
Was yours that pso2 wikki thing? with the Pokemon enemy move lists? That was so long ago

Rayden
Jan 28, 2014, 09:04 PM
I mainly just use the Japanese wiki, but a lot of the more complicated stuff is really hard for me to understand with Google Translate. I mean things like the details and tips that they have for each photon art / technic, class skills, etc. If somebody took the time to translate all of it into English, that'd be wonderful. It would be a lot of work to maintain though.

ArcaneTechs
Jan 28, 2014, 09:46 PM
if the wiki was freely open to use, people would abuse it and just edit everything, i mean didnt we learn off the PSU wiki?

Shinamori
Jan 28, 2014, 10:00 PM
Was yours that pso2 wikki thing? with the Pokemon enemy move lists? That was so long ago

I never did anything remotely involving Poke'mon.

This is what I did
http://emergencycode.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

if the wiki was freely open to use, people would abuse it and just edit everything, i mean didnt we learn off the PSU wiki?

Never played PSU. Also, you could always restrict it to certain people here in the forums. People with credibility, like AIDA for instance.

ShinMaruku
Jan 28, 2014, 11:45 PM

Strong moderation can help with that.

Gama
Jan 28, 2014, 11:56 PM
just have a good team, working alone leads to slow updates.

ive had a couple ideas for a wiki.

but all i can do is graphics work.

i have no idea on how to do a database for example.

Gardios
Jan 29, 2014, 05:05 AM
Might also be a good idea to properly organize it first if we ever want to get a wiki running that stays alive for longer than just a week.

Lostbob117
Jan 29, 2014, 06:49 AM

No, that was mine and untrustful's pretty much.

Also, people say they'll edit it, but never get to it. It'll turn out to be some editors and then they'll stop, then one person will be only editing it ever. This is how my wiki turned out and how psupedia turned out.

Gama
Jan 29, 2014, 09:50 PM
if someone ever comes to make a wiki lemme know, i can help on the look.

Lostbob117
Jan 29, 2014, 10:35 PM
if someone ever comes to make a wiki lemme know, i can help on the look.

I have one started, I don't know if anything will happen to it. http://arks.wikia.com/wiki/Arks_Wiki

honestly, if people actually want to work on this, I can set up some awesome layouts and they can fill in the information

The only thing you can really change with graphics is the backround and the little header thing "Arks' Database' and honestly, I would like some more flashy than that.

Gardios
Jan 29, 2014, 10:53 PM
Mediawiki > Wikia

Wikia is terrible and can go die in a fire.

Lostbob117
Jan 29, 2014, 10:55 PM
Mediawiki > Wikia

They're both about the same. >.>

Gardios
Jan 29, 2014, 11:11 PM
I'm aware that Wikia uses a fork of MediaWiki's engine, but having dealt with Wikias bullshit on several occasions in the past I can assure you that they're in fact a terrible host.

Lostbob117
Jan 29, 2014, 11:18 PM
Okay, anyways, if anyone wants to start one I can help with some page layouts: This is what I have in mind for some. http://arks.wikia.com/wiki/Swords

Shinamori
Jan 30, 2014, 05:33 AM
It would probably be better if we had actual web-space. Images are small, but they can take up a lot of space in time. Them free hosting site only allows so much space. By the way, I have most of the icons ripped in single icon files.

Shinamori
Jan 30, 2014, 06:32 AM
No idea, but I've always thought it was Kion who manages CirnoPedia.

UnLucky
Jan 30, 2014, 07:28 AM
Nah, it's Lord Phrozen.

You can send them an email if you follow all the various "Contact Us" links on the Cirnosites.

Kion
Jan 30, 2014, 07:33 AM
No idea, but I've always thought it was Kion who manages CirnoPedia.

Kion can only wish to make a website that look as good as Cirnopedia.
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Stitch-Crying-In-The-Rain-With-Super-Alien-Sadness.gif

Ordy
Jan 30, 2014, 08:29 AM
At first, I was pretty pissed that we couldn't edit the PSO2 Google Doc (before Cirnopedia). Then we get a Cirnopedia, with 3 (or more) weeks late updates, wrong and outdated information. Sure we have swiki, but wouldn't it be easier to have our own?

We seriously need a wiki, with a dynamic content and easy to edit latex code.

And of course, every decent wiki package has a rollback function, auto-archive functions and user control. The admin should then just check and approve user updates. Easy and efficient.

If it's not amateurish, I'm sure people (including myself) will try to edit some tables, sections, translate JP names, add weapon/unit pictures ... and god I'd love to have that.

Mediawiki > Wikia

And this, Fuck Wikia, it's a piece of shit wiki

Shinamori
Jan 30, 2014, 08:56 AM
The thing I don't like with Mediawiki is how you do tables, but I'm not use to making website so. :S

Like for instance, this is part of the code for swords information.

[SPOILER-BOX]
{| class="wikitable sortable"
|-
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Rarity
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" class="unsortable" | Icon
! scope="col" style="width: 140pt" | Name
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Base
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | +10
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Req
! scope="col" style="width: 64pt" | Potential/Pre-Affix
! scope="col" style="width: 160pt" | Information
|-align="center" style="height: 60px;"
| 1★ || [[File:sword_00.png]] || Sword <br />ソード || 94|| 140 || 1 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 1★ || [[File:sword_01.png]] || Gigush <br />ギガッシュ || 120|| 180 || 57 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 1★ || [[File:sword_02.png]] || Breaker <br />ブレイカー || 146|| 219 || 124 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_03.png]] || Alva Sword <br />アルソード || 172 ||258 || 191 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_04.png]] || Alva Gigush <br />アルギガッシュ || 198 ||297 || 256 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_05.png]] || Alva Breaker <br />アルブレイカー || 225 ||337 || 326 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_06.png]] || Vita Sword <br />ヴィタソード ||251 || 376 || 393 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_07.png]] || Vita Gigush <br />ヴィタギガッシュ || 257 || 385 || 460 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_08.png]] || Vita Breaker <br />ヴィタブレイカー || 273 ||409 || 528 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 4★ || [[File:sword_09.png]] || Claymore <br />クレイモア || 251|| 281 || 155 || N/A || Unommon Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 4★ || [[File:sword_10.png]] || Calibur <br />キャリバー || 211|| 337 || 237 || N/A || Unommon Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 5★ || [[File:sword_11.png]] || Alva Claymore <br />アルバクレイモア || 246|| 393 || 320 || N/A || Unommon Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 5★ || [[File:sword_12.png]] || Alva Calibur <br />アルバキャリバー || 280|| 448 || 403 || N/A || Unommon Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 6★ || [[File:sword_13.png]] || Vita Claymore <br />ヴィタクレイモア || 246|| 467 || 485 || N/A || Unommon Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 6★ || [[File:sword_14.png]] || Vita Calibur <br />ヴィタキャリバー || 308|| 492|| 568 || N/A || Unommon Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
|}[/SPOILER-BOX]

Lostbob117
Jan 30, 2014, 09:15 AM
The thing I don't like with Mediawiki is how you do tables, but I'm not use to making website so. :S

Like for instance, this is part of the code for swords information.

[SPOILER-BOX]
{| class="wikitable sortable"
|-
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Rarity
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" class="unsortable" | Icon
! scope="col" style="width: 140pt" | Name
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Base
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | +10
! scope="col" style="width: 32pt" | Req
! scope="col" style="width: 64pt" | Potential/Pre-Affix
! scope="col" style="width: 160pt" | Information
| 1★ || [[File:sword_00.png]] || Sword <br />ソード || 94|| 140 || 1 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 1★ || [[File:sword_01.png]] || Gigush <br />ギガッシュ || 120|| 180 || 57 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 1★ || [[File:sword_02.png]] || Breaker <br />ブレイカー || 146|| 219 || 124 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_03.png]] || Alva Sword <br />アルソード || 172 ||258 || 191 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_04.png]] || Alva Gigush <br />アルギガッシュ || 198 ||297 || 256 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 2★ || [[File:sword_05.png]] || Alva Breaker <br />アルブレイカー || 225 ||337 || 326 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_06.png]] || Vita Sword <br />ヴィタソード ||251 || 376 || 393 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_07.png]] || Vita Gigush <br />ヴィタギガッシュ || 257 || 385 || 460 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 3★ || [[File:sword_08.png]] || Vita Breaker <br />ヴィタブレイカー || 273 ||409 || 528 <br />S-ATK || N/A || Common Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 4★ || [[File:sword_09.png]] || Claymore <br />クレイモア || 251|| 281 || 155 || N/A || Unommon Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 4★ || [[File:sword_10.png]] || Calibur <br />キャリバー || 211|| 337 || 237 || N/A || Unommon Normal <br />Hunter Drop
| 5★ || [[File:sword_11.png]] || Alva Claymore <br />アルバクレイモア || 246|| 393 || 320 || N/A || Unommon Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 5★ || [[File:sword_12.png]] || Alva Calibur <br />アルバキャリバー || 280|| 448 || 403 || N/A || Unommon Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 6★ || [[File:sword_13.png]] || Vita Claymore <br />ヴィタクレイモア || 246|| 467 || 485 || N/A || Unommon Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
| 6★ || [[File:sword_14.png]] || Vita Calibur <br />ヴィタキャリバー || 308|| 492|| 568 || N/A || Unommon Very Hard <br />Hunter Drop
|}[/SPOILER-BOX]

That's because they did it the confusing and clutter way of coding it. they didn't bother organizing it

Gardios
Jan 30, 2014, 11:10 AM
Templates, man, templates. If you put proper work into it, you could potentially list all swords just with

{{weapon list|type=sword}}

Not only do templates make data entry easier, they also minimize the number of errors across the wiki by reducing redundancy.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ Templates!

/commercial

ThePendragon
Jan 30, 2014, 03:40 PM
Some useful feature sets would be nice. I had actually started a database using wordpress and it was so much better since all of the tables were sortable and you could filter them in realtime. It was amazingly efficient. It was really easy to maintain as well since I could just import all of the info using excel spreadsheets. I couldn't get any assistance in maintaining it though, so I gave up. Solo is really not the way to go.