PDA

View Full Version : So no PSO2 for the US afterall?

xenokai
Feb 4, 2014, 05:31 PM
Back in 2012 I was pumped when I read this.... http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013 Its now 2014, I havent kept up with this so it might be a dumb question.... But is it coming to the US?

Ezodagrom
Feb 4, 2014, 05:33 PM
Back in 2012 I was pumped when I read this.... http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013 Its now 2014, I havent kept up with this so it might be a dumb question.... But is it coming to the US?
We don't know, last time there were some news about the NA/European version, it was said that it was delayed for an undetermined amount of time.

hoppimike
Feb 4, 2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'm starting to lose hope too. But we'll see :)

I'm just really glad it's so easy to play on the Jap servers!

EDIT -- Also, I never realised just HOW late it is...

I mean, PSU and PSO1 came out in the EU/US within just 3 months of the Japanese release.

Why is PSO2 so different?

Ezodagrom
Feb 4, 2014, 05:50 PM
EDIT -- Also, I never realised just HOW late it is...

I mean, PSU and PSO1 came out in the EU/US within just 3 months of the Japanese release.

Why is PSO2 so different?
PSU may have started at only like 2~3 months difference, but it ended at over 1 year and half difference when it comes to updates... :\

Sanguine2009
Feb 4, 2014, 05:52 PM
and this is likely to be even worse IF it ever comes to the west. seriously just play the jp servers

Evangelion X.XX
Feb 4, 2014, 06:58 PM
Not another one of these threads.....

But seriously, even if it did get released, would you play it? Like seriously.... I mean a couple years behind in content, abandoning one's game game on the JP servers with like 3000-5000+ hours, with all of the IRL money spent on AC.....

But if there is gonna be a US version, I'm pretty sure they're gonna change the costumes, get rid of one's ability to be a Loli ('cause one's a latent-serial-killer-pedophile-rapist if one creates such a character), change Quna's Songs (make her a hip-hopper?), give the girls jeans as costumes, the personalities of the characters will change....etc.

For me, NO THANKS, but to each his own, I guess.

Shinamori
Feb 4, 2014, 07:09 PM
Sega isn't 4Kids. :V

Emp
Feb 4, 2014, 07:41 PM
Sega isn't 4Kids. :V

Good one XD

pkemr4
Feb 4, 2014, 07:43 PM
isnt Relic working on pso2 NA?

The Walrus
Feb 4, 2014, 07:44 PM
Dunno. They never said what they were working on.

Emp
Feb 4, 2014, 07:49 PM
Dunno. They never said what they were working on.

This is the time when you need a hacker. Like the recent one that hacked all those Sony funded studios and leaked all the projects being worked on.

gigawuts
Feb 4, 2014, 08:31 PM
No, no it is not. You think Sega is doing bad in the states now? Watch its stocks plummet after all of its long term plans are made public due to a hacking.

Dark Priest
Feb 4, 2014, 08:37 PM
I highly doubt it will come, sega cash shops wouldn't work as well in the US (which is why i think they were afraid to bring it to the west to begin with) since JPs buy anything, they will pretty much lose money at this point if there is no way to transfer from jp---> us, not a lot of people are willing to restart just for an english version.

So at this point it's either depend on the tweaker or learn japanese. to play this without being annoyed.

Kion
Feb 4, 2014, 08:37 PM
Btw, if anyone's interested, I've made a list of all of the updates and news related to a western Pso2 release: http://arks-layer.com/wordpress/?page_id=19.

Vintasticvin
Feb 4, 2014, 09:19 PM
Not another one of these threads.....

But seriously, even if it did get released, would you play it? Like seriously.... I mean a couple years behind in content, abandoning one's game game on the JP servers with like 3000-5000+ hours, with all of the IRL money spent on AC.....

But if there is gonna be a US version, I'm pretty sure they're gonna change the costumes, get rid of one's ability to be a Loli ('cause one's a latent-serial-killer-pedophile-rapist if one creates such a character), change Quna's Songs (make her a hip-hopper?), give the girls jeans as costumes, the personalities of the characters will change....etc.

For me, NO THANKS, but to each his own, I guess.

Not another one of these posts....

People will still play it yeah some may complain that its not like the Japanese version and there may be slight alterations that is "Western Friendly", maybe Quna will be left alone and have her songs slightly ifferent like the endings songs in FF13, guys making Loli characters and running around as them is going to happen regardless if they are a pedo or not deal with it, And yes I'll sie with you on the watered down and stale emotionless voices of the characters. Other than the obvious response I'm sure there are some people who will still enjoy it regardless of being updates behind the JP version.

gigawuts
Feb 4, 2014, 09:21 PM
All they have to do is fix grinding and affixing so it's not gambling and I'm sold.

Really, that's it. Me and a ton of people would move right over. People would come and then stay instead of ragequitting after going broke over a +3 weapon.

I don't mind delayed content. I'll play both if I care that hard about new content. But fixing the RNG? Oh man, I am in.

pkemr4
Feb 4, 2014, 09:22 PM
i can imagine the dubbing being as bad as scarlet blade's

NexusAZ
Feb 4, 2014, 09:26 PM
All they have to do is fix grinding and affixing so it's not gambling and I'm sold.

Really, that's it. Me and a ton of people would move right over. People would come and then stay instead of ragequitting after going broke over a +3 weapon.

I don't mind delayed content. I'll play both if I care that hard about new content. But fixing the RNG? Oh man, I am in.

Pretty much this. I have no problems starting over, but that RNG can be a mean mutha. It would be kind of nice to build a (third) Fighter without having a ton of gear in the game already. AQ weapons all over the place.

Evangelion X.XX
Feb 4, 2014, 09:29 PM

People will still play it yeah some may complain that its not like the Japanese version and there may be slight alterations that is "Western Friendly", maybe Quna will be left alone and have her songs slightly ifferent like the endings songs in FF13, guys making Loli characters and running around as them is going to happen regardless if they are a pedo or not deal with it, And yes I'll sie with you on the watered down and stale emotionless voices of the characters. Other than the obvious response I'm sure there are some people who will still enjoy it regardless of being updates behind the JP version.

Not another one of these responses....

Sure, by all means, whoever wants to play the Western version, please do: no one's gonna stop you.

Kion
Feb 4, 2014, 09:40 PM
Not another one of these responses....

Sure, by all means, whoever wants to play the Western version, please do: no one's gonna stop you.

If it comes out in the first place. I don't think the game being behind its JP counter part is any consequence. It's more important they support it once it comes out. I think what everyone would most like to see is consistent updates, candid communication from the team managing it and customer support. If these conditions are met then any problems with the game would likely be addressed or at least secondary. Unfortunately, Sega doesn't seem to grasp this. For some reason they seem to think that throwing an unfinished, un-managed product overseas is a "release".

DrunkenBasted
Feb 5, 2014, 12:50 AM
It's not coming out, it never will. I'm tired of supporting halfed ass games tossed out by Sega that are a shadow of the games we used to love. They can't even offer us in NA an answer if the game is even coming out so why should I go through the trouble of playin on their crappy JP servers?

ThaiSoup
Feb 5, 2014, 12:52 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Macman
Feb 5, 2014, 12:54 AM
Can we just get a popcorn emote?

Lostbob117
Feb 5, 2014, 01:59 AM
If it ever came over, it would cost a monthly subscription, more than likely. Just like PSU did.

UnLucky
Feb 5, 2014, 02:11 AM
This thread gets made every week.

It's more important they support it once it comes out. I think what everyone would most like to see is consistent updates, candid communication from the team managing it and customer support. If these conditions are met then any problems with the game would likely be addressed or at least secondary. Unfortunately, Sega doesn't seem to grasp this.
They're not even supporting it before it's out. It's pretty telling that the NA/EU release is already dead.

Ratazana
Feb 5, 2014, 02:13 AM
Fremium is more lucrative so no. Besides, premium works like a subscription anyway.

Kion
Feb 5, 2014, 03:19 AM
They're not even supporting it before it's out. It's pretty telling that the NA/EU release is already dead.

[spoiler-box]
Unlucky wins this thread.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/487321f5b3c6b3ad88aeb982e1fc2f1f/tumblr_mg5y15KyPb1qa3bzoo1_400.gif
[/spoiler-box]

TaigaUC
Feb 5, 2014, 04:40 AM
Fremium is more lucrative so no. Besides, premium works like a subscription anyway.

You should tell that to the weirdos who still use subscription.

I find it amusing that http://www.pso2.com/ is still up.

Dark Priest
Feb 5, 2014, 04:48 AM

Not quite, subs means everything in the game is open to you under certain conditions and not having to throw money at a company, other then certain features that are situational, like transfering ships/servers, this is pretty much why some idiots think F2P games are better because they are oblivious to the fact they end up spending 10x as much on the content then they would a basic sub.

Preimum looks like it works like one since you can buy it for 1-3 months each, but that isn't including every other thing in the game optional.

Totori
Feb 5, 2014, 07:47 AM
A while ago SEGA already said the game would stay FTP. Also microtransactions do quite well overseas also.

Managing this game is harder work than PSU or PSO, so it's not surprising it's taking a while. Just telling that there is more work being put into the project.

Shinamori
Feb 5, 2014, 07:58 AM
If That is what you wanna believe. The only real issue I see is the scratch tickets.

Ratazana
Feb 5, 2014, 08:22 AM
Not quite, subs means everything in the game is open to you under certain conditions and not having to throw money at a company, other then certain features that are situational, like transfering ships/servers, this is pretty much why some idiots think F2P games are better because they are oblivious to the fact they end up spending 10x as much on the content then they would a basic sub.

Preimum looks like it works like one since you can buy it for 1-3 months each, but that isn't including every other thing in the game optional.

Pos-gc psu still had a monthly subscription. They just made it easier allowing you to buy a "subscription" in game. Pso2 premium gives you everything psu subscription had and even more. Psu became fremium by necessity while pso2 is by design though.

pkemr4
Feb 5, 2014, 11:47 AM

same could be said for SEA + Taiwan server

aphelion
Feb 5, 2014, 11:52 AM
If That is what you wanna believe. The only real issue I see is the scratch tickets.

I've seen people say this before, so I'm not trying to single you out, but how is a scratch ticket any different from a lockbox?

I see lockboxes in several NA f2p games and the mechanic is basically the same: you spend real money on a key and the lockbox has a pool of items that you get one of when you use the key.

It's actually worse than the scratch because the lockboxes cause unneeded inventory pressure, in my opinion. There is the advantage of saving old lockboxes and selling them for a profit much later in the games lifecycle, though.

So, again, why is the AC scratch stuff such a big hurdle in the US when the lockbox method is nearly identical and working fine?

gigawuts
Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 AM
I've seen people say this before, so I'm not trying to single you out, but how is a scratch ticket any different from a lockbox?

I see lockboxes in several NA f2p games and the mechanic is basically the same: you spend real money on a key and the lockbox has a pool of items that you get one of when you use the key.

It's actually worse than the scratch because the lockboxes cause unneeded inventory pressure, in my opinion. There is the advantage of saving old lockboxes and selling them for a profit much later in the games lifecycle, though.

So, again, why is the AC scratch stuff such a big hurdle in the US when the lockbox method is nearly identical and working fine?

Lockboxes are typically accompanied by the possibility of obtaining most of the items available in a lockbox without paying a cent - more than that, the lockboxes themselves have intrinsic value and are a tradeable commodity found equally by paying players and free players. The paying players must pay other players to get their hands on more lockboxes - their value may be low, but it's still something the free players get.

Scratch tickets offer literally nothing of any value whatsoever to free players.

aphelion
Feb 5, 2014, 12:12 PM
Lockboxes are typically accompanied by the possibility of obtaining most of the items available in a lockbox without paying a cent - more than that, the lockboxes themselves have intrinsic value and are a tradeable commodity found equally by paying players and free players. The paying players must pay other players to get their hands on more lockboxes - their value may be low, but it's still something the free players get.

Scratch tickets offer literally nothing of any value whatsoever to free players.

Thanks for your repsonse, gigawuts.

I will use the f2p game Neverwinter, to respond to your post since it's the most recent f2p lockbox game I've played.

The items in the lockboxes are unique to the lockboxes, except for a few of them that are the lowest level stuff. Basically, the thanks for trying better luck next time items: white and green common junk.

Any of the good items are bind on equip, though, and can be sold on the auction house, but isn't that the same thing for PSO2? I just got a cast body part which was part of the AC scratch. I couldn't attain the costume without either buying the scratch and gambling on getting it, or buying it from the shops. The lockbox/key mechanic works the same way, there are items that cannot be attained by any means beyond someone using the lockbox and then keeping that item or selling it.

I do agree that lockboxes have an intrinsic value. As I said above, they can be sold to other people at a profit once the lockbox is no longer available. But, the current lockbox can be attained through the game without having it drop. For instance, in Neverwinter, there is a vendor where you can buy the lockbox from instead of waiting for it to drop. The drop rates are ridiculously high though, which is why people complain of inventory pressure--all these junk lockboxes that noone wants.

I do agree with your point that AC Scratch offers nothing for free players. Though, I'm not sure that explains why people think that scratch won't fly in the US because it's gambling. Lockboxes are gambling as well with items that can only be attained if someone "plays to win."

KatsuraJun
Feb 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

I've never seen "keys" for lockboxes given to free players outside of compensation or events.

The value of lockboxes too is... eh. Valve is the only company I know of that bothered to attach any sort of value to their lockboxes by differentiating from old and new lockboxes and cycling out the old ones from circulation. And those aren't attainable by free players (at least in TF2, idk about DotA) since you can't trade and they dropped way before TF2 went free to begin with.

Granted there was a few brief times where unique, event lockboxes were worth a bit, but their price always inevitably crashes faster than you can say fuck.

As for other games, they're worth about as much as a grinder - or less, and even harder to sell. That's just my experience though.

To be honest, the game could succeed here. They wouldn't need to change too much - it already captures a certain audience very easily with its aesthetic style and another with its name. PSO2 is one of the less cash heavy MMO's I've played as well so I really doubt the cash aspect would be the problem.

They're just fucking lazy.

aphelion
Feb 5, 2014, 12:24 PM
I've never seen "keys" for lockboxes given to free players outside of compensation or events.

This has been my observation as well, with the one caveat: many games allow free players to buy lockbox keys from the auction house.

Let me use Star Trek Online as an example. Energy credits are used to buy items on the exchange. People will purchase lockbox keys with real money and put the keys on the exchange to make a bunch of energy credits--the price is really high and they want the EC for something else on the exchange.

So, maybe that is one way they balance the lockbox keys by saying "Look, the free users can purchase the keys from other users." If that's enough to get past any gambling issues, then fair enough, but I don't see how it should be.

In the end, someone is still spending real world money to buy the keys for someone to gamble.

KatsuraJun
Feb 5, 2014, 12:43 PM
The ability to buy keys from other people is in almost every game that includes lockboxes, but it really doesn't solve any problem about the necessity of cashing because there's no non-cash source for the keys to come from.

While this may make whatever player bent on not spending a single dime feel better in the short term, it hardly solves the problems rife in nearly *every* single imported english MMO server in that the cash economy vs ingame economy is horribly out of tune in comparison to its Japanese/Korean counterpart.

NA publishers are also unlikely to actually enact changes on the game to try to fix the economy - something like the item vendor nerf PSO2 saw in its early days.

gigawuts
Feb 5, 2014, 01:09 PM
In reply to some of the bunch of stuff:

I'm mainly referencing TF2, since that's what I have the most experience with.

In that game there's a lot of freedom for free players, and that freedom plus the multitude of gameplay options is what keeps the game going IMO. That and its momentum, but the momentum was gained because of the aforementioned factors.

The most relevant part of that freedom here is that free players can get pretty much everything paying players can except for hats that are on fire and weapons that count kills. Virtually every cosmetic drops for free players, barring a few holiday exceptions and a few things similar to XQs (last I checked, it's been a while so I could be completely wrong now).

Free players found exactly as many drops as paying players. Paying players merely got what they bought. Additionally, only a few things were exclusive to the crates (lockboxes). Most things you wanted could even be bought directly - paint colors, name tags, backpack expanders, lobby actions, specific hats or weapons, etc.

That mentality is what ultimately makes TF2 succeed IMO - freedom to choose if you don't want to gamble. Freedom from pure RNG. Freedom to trade with other free players, who completely make the entire economy, without premium or a gambled 3 day trade pass. No buying 10 scratches trying to get 1 item and getting nothing but Wind and Dark Element Changers. If you want a Karuswhatever accessory bundle you can just buy it outright - sure, it would probably be 20-40 dollars in TF2, but it's an option.

Valve approaches things in a way that gives players freedom to play how they want in a sandbox, trade virtually everything if you change your mind, etc.. Sega charges for every tablespoon of sand and binds it to either your account for a monthly fee or that specific character. This is the difference that will make or break PSO2 in the west, IMO. Players here just plain demand more freedom. When they run into roadblocks they might pay up a couple times, but then they hit the next roadblocks and move on to the next game. I have dozens of friends in multiple western countries who do this and only this - every single person I've associated with who plays F2P games other than PSO2 does this (and many of them did this with PSO2 shortly after its launch). They pick up the newest F2P game, play it, pay once, then pick up the next newest F2P game when prompted to pay or get shafted by the annoying RNG system a second time. Call them spoiled, call them entitled, call them whatever you want - that's just how much of the western gaming culture is now.

xenokai
Feb 7, 2014, 12:07 PM
Thats alot of negative posts, I guess everyone gave up and rolled over and went to the PSO2 JP? Ive played PSO2 JP its just not the same, so I stopped to wait for the US version guess im out of luck there. Thanks for awsering my question.

gigawuts
Feb 7, 2014, 12:14 PM
It's not the JP server that just isn't the same, it's the game that just isn't the same.

Valimer
Feb 7, 2014, 01:38 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/210260/Segas_healthy_recovery_down_to_digital_game_sales. php

SEGA is recovering financially because of PSO2 and 2 other games. Not really sure what this means as far as localization is concerned, but I thought it would be interesting info to speculate over.

aphelion
Feb 7, 2014, 01:45 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/210260/Segas_healthy_recovery_down_to_digital_game_sales. php

SEGA is recovering financially because of PSO2 and 2 other games. Not really sure what this means as far as localization is concerned, but I thought it would be interesting info to speculate over.

Thanks for the link.

It's good to see SEGA is doing better. Hopefully, a new Jet Set Radio (and Shenmue) is on the horizon -_-

I, for one, am looking forward to a US release, if it happens. I think many more people would play the game if given the opportunity.

DJcooltrainer
Feb 7, 2014, 02:08 PM
That's good to see PSO2 is helping pull Sega out of financial destruction. That means Sega might finally start trying to market the series outside of Japan. I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything soon, but it is very promising news.

pkemr4
Feb 7, 2014, 02:30 PM
sega needs to make a initial d pc port and they can have all my money