PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes on Most Emergency Quests

LockTheSlayer
Feb 9, 2014, 02:42 PM
I don't know what's going on, but I always get super excited when an emergency quest arises, but then when I leave the campship to start the mission, it loads for a couple seconds and just crashes to my desktop with no error codes. I reload the game, try again, same thing. Usually whenever it crashes on normal missions I'm able to jump back in no problem.

Information about my computer/game installation that might help find the problem:

OS: Windows 8 (I upgraded from Windows 7 sometime ago, I had played the game a couple years back when I had Windows 7 and I had no problems, I'm not sure if this is an issue. The new OS has however allowed me to play the game with shaders without crashing on startup, so that's a plus)

English Patch Installed
English Large Files Installed
English Item Patch Installed
English Story Patch about to be uninstalled, because I've heard this causing crashes in missions.

Aeris
Feb 9, 2014, 04:20 PM
Might as well go do a file check without patches if you're using the normal launcher (third button from the top) or on tweaker "Check for PSO2 updates" and click on no for checking everything and see if shows missing or bad files.

LockTheSlayer
Feb 9, 2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. So should I uninstall all English Patches and run a file check?

LockTheSlayer
Feb 9, 2014, 05:10 PM
Alrighty then, I'll get on that now.

EDIT: Okay, so in the tweaker, I open up the Orb Menu, and click on "Check for PSO2 Updates," where do I click no for checking everything? As soon as I hit Check for PSO2 Updates, it just starts checking immediately.

Sandmind
Feb 9, 2014, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Tweaker also stopped asking if I was up to date last week to know if only need to load the new stuff. I assumed it was on purpose.

Side note, enable file back when patching if you haven't already, it eliminate the need to re-download the vanilla files.

LockTheSlayer
Feb 9, 2014, 11:31 PM
For now, checking the files seems to have fixed my problem, I was able to play three emergency quests without crashing. So that's good news. I'll keep you updated if I crash again later.

LockTheSlayer
Feb 13, 2014, 11:02 PM
Okay, so since the recent patch, I'm crashing on Kartargot Extermination at random times, I played the quest earlier, but now I'm crashing once I leave the campship to start the mission. Should I do another file check? Will I need to do one after every patch?

LockTheSlayer
Mar 2, 2014, 08:47 PM
Alright, I'm beginning to worry that it's my computer that's having troubles. I've reinstalled this game 3 times now, twice with the torrent, and once with the tweaker, all of which yield crashes upon starting emergency quests EXCEPT Dark Falz, that one has had no issues.

What do? Am I maybe missing files crucial to emergency quests? Except that wouldn't make sense cuz I've reinstalled multiple times.

Sizustar
Mar 2, 2014, 09:10 PM
Which version of the english patch are you using?

LockTheSlayer
Mar 2, 2014, 09:44 PM
Which version of the english patch are you using?

Which ever version the Tweaker installs/updates.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 2, 2014, 09:58 PM
It's possible your HDD is corrupt - Try running a checkdisk on it.

I've tried installing the game on both my internal and external drives, but I'll run a disc check real quick. I right click on my HDD, properties, tools tab and check the disc for errors, right?

LockTheSlayer
Mar 2, 2014, 10:07 PM
Just finished checking my internal drive, no errors found. Scanning my external now.

External yielded no errors either. I don't even know at this point. PSO2 doesn't have issues with Windows 8 does it?

deahamlet
Mar 3, 2014, 02:39 AM
Since you are having such issues, I suggest installing vanilla only and running for at least a week. Then just add the main patch if the week is uneventful, another week with just the main English patch, etc.

There was a thread about Windows 8 somewhere around here... but I don't use so I have never read its contents.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 3, 2014, 02:59 AM
Since you are having such issues, I suggest installing vanilla only and running for at least a week. Then just add the main patch if the week is uneventful, another week with just the main English patch, etc.

There was a thread about Windows 8 somewhere around here... but I don't use so I have never read its contents.

So install the game to a new directory and DON'T install any English Patches? I think I might try that.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 3, 2014, 05:51 PM
Alright, I've installed the game to my external drive with no English patches. Will it be safe to assume it won't help if I still crash on emergency quests? I haven't encountered any problems so far.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 4, 2014, 04:25 AM
Update: completely vanilla game has allowed me to play an emergency quest that was previously crashing me, so that's a plus. Is it perhaps an incompatibility with the English Patch and my computer? I mean, I love moon speak as much as the next person, but I would like English text.

deahamlet
Mar 4, 2014, 06:45 AM
Update: completely vanilla game has allowed me to play an emergency quest that was previously crashing me, so that's a plus. Is it perhaps an incompatibility with the English Patch and my computer? I mean, I love moon speak as much as the next person, but I would like English text.

Please take the time to test any quest that was previously making you crash, not just EQ... give it a week. If you never crash again in a similar way as you used to, then please manually download the English patch (I am not allowed to link it, sigh, just google pso2 English patch). Please only download the main one, not the large files, not the JP files, not the story patch. Make a backup of your pso2 folder, copy the English patch files, allow it to override. Then play for one week, no item translation, no tweaker, nothing but English patch. If no crashes occur after a week I suggest installing Tweaker and enabling item translation and see how things go. If things continue to be stable at some point install large English patch. I strongly discourage you from getting story patch if no crashes occur vanilla, English patch, English patch + item translator.

Whenever you install any patches, backup your pso2 folder so you don't have to go running fixes or redownloading the game. In Tweaker, when you get to that stage, enable always backup so it backs up vanilla files so going back from an OOPS is not so involved.

So steps:
1. One week with vanilla - no crash, go to 2 (if it crashes, man, I don't know PSO2 + your OS are not happy)
2. One week with main English patch - no crash, go to 3. (Install manually not with Tweaker)
3. One week with Tweaker using item translator and main English patch - no crash, go to 4.
4. Gamble installing the large English patch file. Run one week with all these patches. If all stable, optionally go to step 5.
5. Install story patch, make sure to backup files, give it a go.

Troubleshooting takes time especially if you crash on certain missions or EQs but not others since you cannot say "oh I tried quest X, no crash" and be safe that you have fixed anything. Hence the one week recommendation. You can use Cirnopedia to find out what the client orders want you to do to open up new worlds and remove level caps, etc. Better one week of Japanese than wanting to throw the computer out the window :P.

Good luck.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 4, 2014, 02:38 PM
I seemed to only be crashing on EQs with the occasional random crash on normal missions, but when those happened I was able to hop right back in with no problem, whereas with EQs, I flat out couldn't play them at all.

I'll do this method of troubleshooting (seems to be working so far) and I'll update you guys after each week.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 9, 2014, 02:11 PM
Tomorrow, I'll be manually installing the main English patch. This week has gone very well so far, no crashes, no nothing. If a crash persisted, I simply checked for PSO2 updates and that fixed it.

Now, how do I go about making a backup of the game files before manually installing the English Patch? Is there a list of files I need to backup, or do I just copy the whole game directory somewhere else?

deahamlet
Mar 9, 2014, 07:04 PM
Tomorrow, I'll be manually installing the main English patch. This week has gone very well so far, no crashes, no nothing. If a crash persisted, I simply checked for PSO2 updates and that fixed it.

Now, how do I go about making a backup of the game files before manually installing the English Patch? Is there a list of files I need to backup, or do I just copy the whole game directory somewhere else?

Unfortunately just copy the whole directory. The files are numbers... hard to keep track of which ones are about to be copied over.

LockTheSlayer
Mar 10, 2014, 02:10 PM
Righto, I'll get on that now. I've persevered through a week of moonspeak, I think I deserve this haha.

deahamlet
Mar 10, 2014, 04:24 PM
Righto, I'll get on that now. I've persevered through a week of moonspeak, I think I deserve this haha.

What can you do, troubleshooting properly is always a big endeavour... and that's the trouble with homegrown translations and such. Still we are super lucky to have talented people working on these things so we get English menus and items and even story.

Good luck!!!!