PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to PSO

gmart
Feb 20, 2014, 07:02 PM
I played a ton of PSU on the 360 and I briefly played PSO2 when it released, however I never got over the language barrier and this was before the unofficial english patch.

I am now building a new gaming pc in the next few weeks and plan on playing PSO2 as the patch is out. My questions are how do people feel about the state of the game, and is there a decent english speaking community.

Thanks

The Walrus
Feb 20, 2014, 07:38 PM
Ship 2 has the majority of the en community. As for the game it's pretty shitty honestly.

Totori
Feb 20, 2014, 08:46 PM
I played a ton of PSU on the 360 and I briefly played PSO2 when it released, however I never got over the language barrier and this was before the unofficial english patch.

I am now building a new gaming pc in the next few weeks and plan on playing PSO2 as the patch is out. My questions are how do people feel about the state of the game, and is there a decent english speaking community.

Thanks

Yep, a lot of English players on Ship 2.

And it's pretty great, plus active. So it's worth checking out~

FacelessRed
Feb 20, 2014, 08:54 PM
Coming to the forums you will get back handed by negativity.

I personally play on Ship 01, while a majority of English speakers player on ship02. given my experience with most of them (via PSO-World) I'm pretty glad I'm on ship01 as most people are just obnoxious/elitists going at full sprint on their hedonic treadmill.

That is of course besides the point. PSO2 is a good game if you can get over the early level hurdles and lonliness of the early levels.

And Aida and crews PSO tweaker is a blessing. My advice is to look up/research a proper build for your character as most people completely destroy their characters when they first begin and cannot fix them without AC.

Mike
Feb 20, 2014, 09:06 PM
My questions are how do people feel about the state of the game

When I quit, it was a standard free-to-play game. Random cash shop, frustration mechanics, and other remarkable steps backward for the series. It doesn't look to have changed much since then either. However, there's no entry barrier so try the game out for yourself.

Lostbob117
Feb 20, 2014, 09:22 PM
The game sucks.

Aussei
Feb 21, 2014, 12:49 AM
Personally I enjoy the experience. I just play with some people I know in real life and a few internet friends and I have fun. I don't aim to get the best shit really, I just let it happen. If it doesn't it doesn't. Ship 02 is filled with English players. I don't talk much to them but I've met some nice ones.
In my opinion people try way too hard to prove their points and opinions which leads to miscommunication and misunderstandings... so I try my best to be careful and mindful how and who I communicate with. Just chill and enjoy the game the way YOU want to if you do get into it. There are plenty of players out there with a good head on their shoulders and some that don't. Just like in any game out there. I'm sure you'll find the right group of people on PSO2 that you can have a good time with. There's so many different kinds of people and age groups.
If you do play hit me up, I'm more than willing to play with you. I'm not too active but I play almost everyday for a few hours. ;D

Shinureal
Feb 21, 2014, 06:51 AM
Welcome in the game!!

If you are a PSO fan then you'll like PSO2. Ship02 is the most famous with English community, but there's ship 10 too.
Try for yourself, find a cool team and enjoy :)

Renvalt
Feb 21, 2014, 08:10 AM
Ah, a new recruit... where to begin....

While it is true that the game has a decently sized Cash Shop bias, PSO2 can be, for the most part, played without. All you need to do is be patient and try to soak in the game along the way. Pay no heed to the fools who push you roughly to "hit cap quickly".

Gameplay-wise, the classes all have variety - there are the original three classes (Hunter/Ranger/Force), three extensions of said classes (Fighter/Gunner/Techer) that play differently yet similar to said classes, and then a fourth base class that is completely new to the series (Braver).

Some of the weapon types you'll be seeing for the first time here, others will be a bit more familiar. But they each have their own unique traits which makes it worth trying them all out before you decide your main weapon.

Story-wise, the game takes a while to get the story moving. But once you hit Episode 2.... by the gods, that's where you may wanna strap in. The momentum on that is insane (though you'll have nostalgia-laden fanatics try to tell you otherwise - ignore them and formulate your own opinion).

But I can only say so much without being biased, so my advice is this: try it out for yourself, and make your own judgement call. It's free to play, so it's not like you lose anything going in (other than time, of course).

gmart
Feb 21, 2014, 01:13 PM
How does the class balance look right now. From what I've seen I'm leaning toward being a force or possibly a hunter. Any recommendations / build links?

Z-0
Feb 21, 2014, 01:19 PM
Class Balance is really bad, as always. Braver and Gunner make anything look weak in comparison.

Force and Hunter are lackluster themselves, although Hunter with an all-class Katana played like a Braver is the best class there is right now, since you get access to a great Partisan.

Aussei
Feb 21, 2014, 01:22 PM
I'm not too big on the builds department. I don't kill myself trying to find out the best build but this thread http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010 has helped me out a lot in deciding what directions to take.

All the classes can be great and in more than one way as well. You can mix and match all the classes when you get to unlock subclasses it gets interesting and fun.

Force a little hard to play on your own against huge bosses but once you get good equipment and start doing more damage it's not that hard anymore. Having someone around when you step out of the first area into the caves area is helpful. I remember back in the Beta I was having trouble beating Vol Dragon alone as a Force with no friends. ;(

Hunter is fun. You can lean towards DPS, Defense, a mixture of both. Whatever your heart desires. You can be both Hunter and Force, why not? You get heals and melee. lol

The best way to figure out the best build for you is to try out different things, find out your playstyle and how you play best and build your character off of that foundation. Don't worry too much about being the best like no one ever was just yet.

FacelessRed
Feb 21, 2014, 02:46 PM
I play Hunter/fighter as my main I can out DPS almost anyone except a gunner. Problem being hunter is clumsy and can easily fall by the wayside when it comes to mobility AND dpsing.

I also have a maxed out gunner/ranger. While I do lower damage than a gunner/hunter my weak point damage is gigantic and my double whammy skill use of weak bullet and chain bullet can pretty much end any boss in about 10 seconds or less (not a rare boosted boss though).

I also have a myriad of techs/forces 2 chars worth. A bit lackluster, fun in the early levels. Looking forward to t hose new techs next month.

Lumpen Thingy
Feb 21, 2014, 04:00 PM
The game sucks.

says a guy that made a wiki no one uses and didn't hit a level cap in this game in how long?

Lostbob117
Feb 21, 2014, 04:02 PM
says a guy that made a wiki no one uses and didn't hit a level cap in this game in how long?

I was level cap until they higher'd it. Though the game still sucks overall.

Valimer
Feb 21, 2014, 04:08 PM
Coming to the forums you will get back handed by negativity.

I personally play on Ship 01, while a majority of English speakers player on ship02. given my experience with most of them (via PSO-World) I'm pretty glad I'm on ship01 as most people are just obnoxious/elitists going at full sprint on their hedonic treadmill.

That is of course besides the point. PSO2 is a good game if you can get over the early level hurdles and lonliness of the early levels.

And Aida and crews PSO tweaker is a blessing. My advice is to look up/research a proper build for your character as most people completely destroy their characters when they first begin and cannot fix them without AC.

Early level hurdles? Have you seen the XP curve graph?

But yo OP, yeah the game is fun give it a try. I had a friend I thought wouldn't like and he ended up playing till lvl 55

Valimer
Feb 21, 2014, 04:10 PM
I play Hunter/fighter as my main I can out DPS almost anyone except a gunner. Problem being hunter is clumsy and can easily fall by the wayside when it comes to mobility AND dpsing.

I also have a maxed out gunner/ranger. While I do lower damage than a gunner/hunter my weak point damage is gigantic and my double whammy skill use of weak bullet and chain bullet can pretty much end any boss in about 10 seconds or less (not a rare boosted boss though).

I also have a myriad of techs/forces 2 chars worth. A bit lackluster, fun in the early levels. Looking forward to t hose new techs next month.

Wait wait wait.... your Hunter/Fighter is out DPSing Bravers? How is that possible? I want to believe

BIG OLAF
Feb 21, 2014, 04:18 PM
higher'd

Did you just-

FacelessRed
Feb 21, 2014, 04:26 PM
Wait wait wait.... your Hunter/Fighter is out DPSing Bravers? How is that possible? I want to believe

Braver damage isn't that godly, its the ease of use/utility of their damage. It's the incorrect concept that because its easy for you to do that damage doesn't make it the best DPS (this does exclude KF for the most part).

So yes I can out DPS a braver, but its not easy, I have to be trying very very h ard to get the same damage output combined with requiring a lot more gear to compensate for their 1 button kill nonsense. but it can be done.

It's just a matter of what lasts long enough for me to get the highest DPS ?

Lostbob117
Feb 21, 2014, 04:27 PM
Did you just-

Yes, it gets the point across.

DJcooltrainer
Feb 21, 2014, 04:47 PM
My .00002 btc:
-The state of the game is pretty decent. People like to complain about class balance, but there's a huge variety of builds and each one kind of has its own role. Find out what you have the most fun playing as. The only issues I have are typical of most F2P games, you do have to spend a little AC to be able to do things like re-spec your skill trees, buy additional mags, and purchase 10-start (and soon 11-star) weapons from player shops. You have an advantage if you have access to AC, but it's not as if the game is completely shut out to free players. Just make sure you do plenty of research on your skill builds and mag build, because you can't reset them without AC. I personally don't mind paying for some AC from time to time, though, since I was used to paying for a Hunter's License for PSO and PSU.

-There is a decent English speaking community on Ship 02, but there's a lot of jerks, too. I was able to make friends with people who are more laid back, and I play solo a lot too. Once I found a team that's a little more laid back, I started enjoying the game a lot more.

Kelwine
Feb 21, 2014, 05:08 PM
I still enjoy the game quite a bit! Like you, I played for a little bit then took a long break after the start.

I came back a while ago and did not regret it at all. You'll find a lot of negativity from some people, but I suggest trying it yourself. You can always pick up and play at your leisure.

gigawuts
Feb 21, 2014, 05:25 PM
This game is not PSO1, nor is it PSU. Do not come in expecting another PSO, despite what the name says. This is F2P first, PSO second.

Hunting items, something most of us spent all of our time doing in PSO1 and PSU, is extremely time consuming and tedious (many, including myself, can attest to a several hundred/thousand hour hunt with zero results even for other members of the party), and most items are honestly exactly the same as others of the same type with 5% more damage under X conditions on a new model. You can also usually just buy the item by saving up for it by doing other things, and probably for considerably less work.

Most abilities you've come to love on weapons - freezing, special energy wave attacks, etc. are tied to skilltrees, photon arts, and weapon ability affixes. This is why weapons rarely grant anything unique other than +5% damage under this condition, +10% damage under that condition, etc.

Keep that in mind and you should be fine.