PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play Pso2?

Kion
Feb 22, 2014, 06:57 AM
I've been playing this game a bit recently and it's really been puzzling me that I don't know why I've been playing it. Most of the time I pop in for an EQ and idle around in the lobby for a while. I mostly play the game without any motivation to do to and it feels like almost like a chore I wouldn't be doing if I had something even remotely better to do. I figured it'd be nice to have some perspective from the community, questions below.

1) Why do you play Pso2?
2) What do you like about the game?
3) What keeps you playing?
4) What aspects of the game would you like to see improved?

Sizustar
Feb 22, 2014, 07:01 AM
Because it's fun.

VKhaun
Feb 22, 2014, 07:12 AM
Because Warframe started putting in all their new content behind a time wall where you gather a ton of resources, wait three days for research, then wait another day (after you log in and micromange) for the actual item to craft from the research (for more resources). Or you can buy guns from the cash shop at about $10 / piece.

They do small weekly content releases and roughly monthly major releases. We've gotten an entire update and two weeks of content purely put into the game this way. As an established player there with most of the game done that's a big giant middle finger in my direction. Zero fun, zero gameplay, just waiting or paying.

I get that they want that sort of content, but there's no excuse for releasing everything new in that fashion for a month straight. They should have alternated or mixed distribution methods.

PSO2 has Dreamcast PSO nostalgia plus Dark Souls-like dodging, blocking and countering. Hunter felt slow and stiff, but once I tried Katana it was a done deal. Katana / Bow / Gunslash is fun. Really need to max the step skill because the hitboxes seem way bigger than what's actually hitting me, compared to other games.

1) Why do you play Pso2?

1) I played PSO and had a friend who plays PSO2, so I gave it a whirl looking for something new.

2) Blocking / Dodging, mix of targeted and aimed combat to suit how lazy I'm feeling.

3) Enjoyable and interactive gameplay. Not just 'I cast X on the bad guys' but real interaction with timing and meaningful distancing.

4) I feel like PSO2 takes away control way too often. Stuns/staggers, dialog that locks your movement, cutscenes, load screens, lots and lots of things that on their own would be forgivable but PSO2 just heaps it on the whole time. Taking control in the lobby, starting a mission, during the fight, after the fight, etc etc. Sometimes I get frustrated with it.

xervah
Feb 22, 2014, 07:16 AM
it's because of different MMOs? kinda tired of mostly "Medieval" themes MMOs

martinmeegan
Feb 22, 2014, 09:29 AM
1. It gives me something to do whilst my wife is knitting.
2. It gives me something to do whilst my wife is knitting.
3. It gives me something to do whilst my wife is knitting.
4. Although I genuinely don't mind PSO2's RNG it would be good if there were missions that rewarded people for skill/speed in some way rather than drops purely being based on luck. Even something as simple as bonus Meseta for hitting a certain time in Taco's would be nice. Despite that little gripe, and I do mean little, I'm quite happy with the game.

WildarmsRE5
Feb 22, 2014, 09:44 AM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
4) What aspects of the game would you like to see improved?1) For Demacia! (actually, to kill time and have fun)
2) the Combat, the ways to have fun away from battlefield, the only game that actually focuses more on cosmetics (and not failing at it) makes it fun.
3) Delusioning about getting super rares and actually getting it. (happened twice already)
4) male costumes design.

gigawuts
Feb 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
Most people I talk to online these days play it, so it gives us something to do together. Also barbies in space.

edit: I should answer the actual questions instead of just the topic title

1) Why do you play Pso2?
1. Most people I talk to online these days play it, so it gives us something to do together. Also barbies in space.
2. Barbies in space and robot barbies in space.
3. See 1
4. Quests that aren't randomly generated area 1, randomly generated area 2, randomly generated area 3 with a code. Also, droprates that aren't complete ass. Weapons that are unique WITHOUT having to grind them 4 times, or even 2 times, or even 1 time. Give players a better and faster way to suggest fixes to class problems. Never give any class a 100% damage bonus on a new skill again.

edit2:
4b. GIVE ME A WAY TO USE CAST PARTS LIKE ESTE TICKETS SO THEY'RE OUT OF MY INVENTORY OH MY GOD THERE ARE SO MANY. Also let us turn on and off accessory slots outside of the este shop and tinker with lighting inside the este shop. Honestly, with this much focus on the barbies you'd think they'd polish everything some more.

Ezodagrom
Feb 22, 2014, 10:00 AM
I play PSO2 because:
- I always liked the online Phantasy Star games, I am completely tired of point & click online RPGs (the ones that try to have action elements are not different enough from point & click ones for me).
- I don't like the usual ancient fantasy setting that other online RPGs have and prefer the futuristic setting of phantasy star.
- I'm still not bored of PSO2, I still enjoy playing it.

AsinineWaffle
Feb 22, 2014, 12:34 PM
1. I enjoyed earlier Phantasy Star games and figured PSO2 would keep my attention for a while.
2. Its combat and character customization.
3. Dress Up.
4. I can't say I'm too fond of the droprates. Other than that, I suppose I'm content with it.

infiniteeverlasting
Feb 22, 2014, 12:35 PM
1. its a fully anime styled video game with perfectly balanced graphics, and plus, THERE IS NO GOD OF WAR RIPPED TYPE OF CHARACTER DESIGN IN THE GAME!!! NICE!! (i absolutely despise american character designs and how they love overly ripped male characters that make me barf from looking at) and its japanese which is another plus.
2. I love the wasd movement. no click to move, no turn based "action" (turn based gameplay is not called action, its called shit, if anyone has played aura kingdom, you know what shit is).
3. I always wait for new updates and i feel that costuming my character wiht new accessories is one huge thing that keeps me stuck to this game like glue.
4. MORE STORY!!!! and definitely make the lobby more interesting, and larger as well. the only bad thing about this game is that i feel so confined in the lobby, i feel like there is no roaming space.

ShinMaruku
Feb 22, 2014, 12:37 PM

It's not a MMO stop falling into that trap. Plus MMOs are terrible games This game while flawed it's not terrible and it's not a MMO.

I play it because it's an action mutiplayer online game with dress up and batshit insane perverted sega things.

Japan never change.

strikerhunter
Feb 22, 2014, 12:51 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?

1.) Bit Sy-Fi + combat system = more fun than the stupid skill box, button smash (looking at you GW2), and I just don't like MOBAs.

2.) Combat, bragging rights (to a limit), my team, my own shenanigans that I can do in PSO2 that I can't do in other MMOs or most games that I play.

3.) My own shenanigans that makes things hilariously funny and fun along with I still have characters to complete (units/level/build/weapons). That along with my to hunt for collection list but that's dwindling now.

4.) Rare boss spawn rates (at least 10% for gods sakes), better A.I.s, better bosses that relies on combos and not just OHKO, revamp RDR into a +% instead of x%,

Me-5.) What I like to see them add in teh future?
give rare bosses their own souls.

Aussei
Feb 22, 2014, 04:59 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?

My motivation usually is "What's gonna happen today?" I personally enjoy PSO2 everyday.

I love the actiony combat. I don't have to use 5 hotkey skill bars like I do in Aion so i enjoy that as well. I like the customization both in playstyle and aesthetics. Go ahead and say I play with barbies in space! I enjoy it! Lol. The futuristic-fantasy feel goes well with my interests. I like how many different weapons there are I'm sure there will be lots more coming in the future. I have pretty good luck so that works out on PSO2 as well. It's different from other MMOs, way different. I like how you can focus on different aspects of the game, you don't have to go down the same path as others.

Artistic side. I love self-expression and PSO2 gives plenty of that when it comes to your character. You can bring your character to life or give them a personality with auto-words. Good outlet for creativity. It's fun to play. I write a story and have transfered the characters from that story into PSO2 making it an interesting plot twist. Every new update and new content they release gives a new inspiration. :) Hunting stuff, meseta farming... leaving things to chance doesn't bother me I guess. It's a surprise every day.

I really wish they would hurry the fuck up and release shit. lol Kind of feel like they're trying to drag it out. I think SEGA needs new designers for outfits and the like. Too much stuff for females. But it's Japan. Why do monsters have to kill me in one hit? Tbh you don't need support spells in this game, disappointed but at the same time I don't mind too much. Too shiny sometimes, not good for the eyes. (Shifta deband at boss teleports) I know it's to make SEGA money and it could be worse but I'm not a fan of how much time you have to dedicate to accumulate meseta. I wouldn't mind if there was more than just TACOs and selling junk. lol
Remember back in PSO when selling junk actually accumulated Meseta?! Ultimate mode! I get 1 meseta dropping from stuff in Super Hard, something is wrong with that lol Wish they didn't lower selling price on junk.

Renvalt
Feb 22, 2014, 05:19 PM
Q1)Why do you play PSO2?
A1)With the staleness of point and click and the fact that this game seems to still have life in it (along with it being the first JPN only game I've ever sunk time into), this seems like a decent place to chill.

Q2)What do you like about the game?
A2)This game mixes the best aspects of all my favorite games/genres into one - action based combat like you find in Devil May Cry/Zelda, Sci-Fi like you find in games like Starcraft/Escape Velocity, bosses with intros like Zelda (along with each level having its own boss, kinda like a true arcade game). Not to mention the weaponry - so many choices, and the craft system makes each weapon have some value within their respective types.

Q3)What keeps you playing?
A3)With each new area that comes out, Sakai and his team seem to outdo themselves with the visual and aural pleasure that they come with. Then again, this is Sega - their environments have been known to make me feel like I could slumber away peacefully in them.

Q4)What aspects of the game would you like to see improved?
A4)I'd like to see some small details added, like more sections of the Arks Ship to stroll around, or mini-games to help practice other aspects of the game.

I'd also like to see them use the VR Chamber from Extreme Quests more - like for class or feature based tests or something. Kinda like a class ranking or something - or checking to see how many people know how to properly play their class.

Other than that, I guess just give Braver their Extended class and I'll be good.

blace
Feb 22, 2014, 06:11 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
It has a different flair about it than other games of its genre, mostly being able to go into detail with character creation and its use of sci-fi in a fantasy setting.

The general combat and variance between each class, would like to see more diversity though, as everyone is running in with twin mech guns or katana's now.

Not much keeps me playing, rather I have to come back to it every now and then as the other games I play lack what PSO2 offers.

As a more casual player now, I'd like less focus on random especially since it makes solo runs a harsh hell at times with the random Code: Attacks stacking on top one another making it difficult to survive to the next area.

The Walrus
Feb 22, 2014, 07:48 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
Because it's the sequel to PSO and it has the most fun combat out of any "MMO" I've ever played.

Combat and character customization

Nothing at this point. It's highly unlikely that I'll bother getting on until the next time they actually come out with something new and exciting that isn't just higher leveled versions of shit we've been doing for the past few months :/

-BALANCE THE GODDAMN CLASSES AND ENEMIES
-Meaningful content release rate. Seriously the drip feed has gotten even worse than it was before and it pisses me off that Sega gets away with this.
-Quests need to be redone entirely. There is nowhere near enough variety nor are most of them worth doing at this point. God I just want some areas that feel like there was some sort of thought put into them like the first game. TA's aren't enough of that :I Also take TD and make more of that stuff except available all the time and with more rounds and shit.
-More ways to make meseta and get exp. It's just tedious as it is now.
-BALANCE THE GODDAMN CLASSES AND ENEMIES
-More casts parts more often :I
-Letting us actually preview ticket items would be nice.

Hmmmmm I think that's about it...

WildarmsRE5
Feb 23, 2014, 01:24 AM
oh. . . I thought I was the only one liking this Futuristic theme of the game. . .

jooozek
Feb 23, 2014, 01:57 AM
1) because i want to 50 element my guld milla so i only play when falz or td is on
2) music and the combat if you exclude the moronic combo system
3) td
4) fair drop rates for 10*-15*, with that, i could bear the game much more

Totori
Feb 23, 2014, 02:50 AM
1) Why do you play Pso2?

1. I'm really into the series, so PSO2 would be something I'd obviously wanna play.
2. The battle system, and the top tier character customization system. You don't really see other game that go into detail about crafting your avatar like PSO2 has done.
3. General love for the series, and it's something to do when I don't feel like playing my ps3.
4. I would really want to see some better balance, and also some other ways of playing. Maybe something like mini-games, PvP something like that. I think it would be a nice change to the game.

Daiyousei
Feb 23, 2014, 03:35 AM
I like Fantasy, especially Science Fiction Fantasy, especially a Science Fiction Fantasy where weapons aren't dominated by blaster rifles and phasers. Plus, what MMO has tons of character customization sliders? I got tired of other MMOs with everyone looking the same, but PSO2 I can make my character truly the way I want to look. I also like the combat rather than the traditional point and click and go through a plethora of hotbar skills. It feels like I'm actually immersed into the universe with free movement and action, with dodges and blocks and stuff, like I actually have to do something rather than just stand there and take the hits.

ZER0 DX
Feb 23, 2014, 07:38 AM
I've been playing this game a bit recently and it's really been puzzling me that I don't know why I've been playing it. Most of the time I pop in for an EQ and idle around in the lobby for a while. I mostly play the game without any motivation to do to and it feels like almost like a chore I wouldn't be doing if I had something even remotely better to do. I figured it'd be nice to have some perspective from the community, questions below.

1) Why do you play Pso2?

I'm in the same puzzling situation as you to be quite honest. I'm on a sort of break from it right now to work on my huge backlog of games, but I still hop online randomly. I can't actually give a clear answer why when I actually can't stand this game at all but I love to play it at the same time. Yeah it makes no sense, but here goes.

1. I spent at least 12 good years of my life on pretty much every iteration of PSO released from Dreamcast all the way to Blue Burst on both official and private servers, and at least another solid 6 years on 3 different versions of PSU (NA PC, JP PC, and occasionally 360). Naturally PSO2 was the next step after certain events or server shutdowns made playing those games online anymore impossible. I still got more enjoyment out of the last 3 years of PSU's life on the Japanese server than I have had in my entire PSO2 run so far though.

2. I think the character creation and customization is really nice, gameplay is pretty fun but there's still things that bug me too much about it. Essentially it boils down to the mechanical and visual aspects that made previous games more enjoyable. PSO2 did some things better, but it took away too many things that i loved about the previous games in the process that made it lose it's initial charm.

3. Friends, I have a very specific group of people I play with, most of them have been there since the PSO days and others from the PSU era. I probably wouldn't be playing this if they didn't. Downside is not everyone moved over or play as much as they did on PSO/U. I know a couple people that I used to play PSU with that I haven't partied with on PSO2 in a while or at all yet. Team separation does that for some reason I guess.

4. I'd like the game to feel like an actual dungeon crawler again where you have to unlock rooms by clearing out waves of enemies before progressing to the end or to a boss. Kinda was what PSO and PSU were all about. Tedious? Maybe, but it still left you the feeling of accomplishing something when you reached the end goal or found that rare item that you were hunting down. It made those games what they are. Even if you memorized every single enemy spawn and map layout, there was still fun to be had mowing down a row or a cluster of enemies with whatever you had in your arsenal to move on to the next room. Some of them were even (unfairly) difficult and took time to kill with a 6 man party no less, although that definitely expedited the process. Now it's just running around in a circle with no set destination or goal point with everything dying before they even spawn. There's no mission variety aside from a few event quests, the hub city is boring especially in comparison to Neudaiz or Pioneer 2, lack of 6 man core parties is mind boggling when 12 man MPA areas exist, everything is so dumbed down and simplified that it's hard to stay focused on playing, many weapon categories are just completely missing or ruined, the areas are all bland and uninspired aside from maybe seabed, there's a clear lack of feeling of progression or accomplishment, I could go on and on and on and on about how half assed this game is in comparison but the list would be endless and I'm tired. PSO2 is lacking the core aspects that made the online Phantasy Star games, Phantasy Star. It's not PSO2, it's not even PSU2, it really doesn't deserve to be a numbered sequel at all.

But I still keep playing it for some reason. The franchise as a whole is a part of me that I'm not kicking away any time soon, I just hope the next main iteration is better than this one even if it takes another 10 years before that happens. I hate to love it and love to hate it but I can't really hate it because it's all we got. The people you know and party with really make the game in the end.

FacelessRed
Feb 23, 2014, 08:06 AM
It's not a MMO stop falling into that trap. Plus MMOs are terrible games This game while flawed it's not terrible and it's not a MMO.

I play it because it's an action mutiplayer online game with dress up and batshit insane perverted sega things.

Japan never change.

"It's not a Massively multiplayer Online stop falling into that trap. Plus Massively multiplayer Onlines are terrible games This game while flawed it's not terrible and it's not a massively multuplayer online."

---

Are you ... feeling alright?

WildarmsRE5
Feb 23, 2014, 08:11 AM
MMORPG to be exact.

and its not Massively, just Massive Multiplayer Online. so Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

FacelessRed
Feb 23, 2014, 08:18 AM
MMORPG to be exact.

and its not Massively, just Massive Multiplayer Online. so Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

MMORPG definition is rather vague and subject to personal opinion. While there are 12 people to a room there are a hundred or so in a block and thousands that you can interact with potentially through a persistant lobby environment.

So I still say its an MMO.

An MO would often not be set within such a large lobby infrastructure, and place a much higher emphasis on the small group based combat. But I see (and knew) the point being made, just felt it was rather ridiculous.

Gama
Feb 23, 2014, 09:25 AM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
i hate most mmo's, medieval never did it for me.

its diferent.

i have no clue i just do.

get some features present in psobb into the game.

battle mode. pissing contest for drama lovers.

challenge mode. yet another pissing contest.

Shinureal
Feb 23, 2014, 04:11 PM
Because it's the only MMO RPG that my PC can handle :)

The Walrus
Feb 23, 2014, 04:45 PM
If your comp can handle PSO2 it can handle a lot of other mmos...

pkemr4
Feb 23, 2014, 04:52 PM
because i cant find any other action rpg like pso2 out there.

Valimer
Feb 23, 2014, 04:56 PM
I dont play PSO2 much anymore.

When I do get on it's just for TD or EF. Gotta get that GM

I would like to see features that make logging on to PSO2 a more meaningful experience. For example I'd like to see more team features, more tangible competition between teams, a more complex hierarchy of status and rewards within teams. And I'd like to see more attention to be brought to individual competition. Something people in the lobby can spectate and talk about.

The way PSO2 was designed, they could implement so many cool features to make playing PSO2 a more meaningful experience. I'm not sure why they don't take advantage of that.

DeificEpyon
Feb 24, 2014, 07:57 AM
The way PSO2 was designed, they could implement so many cool features to make playing PSO2 a more meaningful experience. I'm not sure why they don't take advantage of that.

That's because they make plenty of money from people playing dress-up.

I play because my friends play, and it's something to do when I'm bored. I do enjoy this game, but like others, I wish it could be better and had more to do. If you play this game occasionally and try not to get into it too much, it's not such a bad game. If you play it frequently and want more out of it though, then it starts to feel like it's lacking. You can tell SEGA was aiming for the casual department with this game. It's something you pick up and play for awhile, then do something else. Emergency Missions are a testament to that.

Thankfully, I play other things besides PSO 2, so in the end it's a decent experience on this game. I'll play PSO 2 when an EM comes up or my friends are on, then play other "hardcore" games when I'm in a real gaming mood.

Kion
Feb 24, 2014, 08:55 AM
A lot of great replies. I finally have time to reply, so I'll try to get a bunch of responses in.

This is definitely pretty big. Between Diablo, world of war craft, final fantasy online and the countless other free online games, you think someone would start branching off into different genre's instead of the same Lord of the Rings Orc, Elf, Human mid-evil theme.

Most people I talk to online these days play it, so it gives us something to do together. Also barbies in space.

1. Most people I talk to online these days play it, so it gives us something to do together. Also barbies in space.
2. Barbies in space and robot barbies in space.
3. [/b]See 1[/b]

This post is hilarious. Seems like this should be the game's subtitle.
[spoiler-box]
http://arks-layer.com/imgs/barbie.png
[/spoiler-box]

I enjoyed earlier Phantasy Star games and figured PSO2 would keep my attention for a while.

One of the main qualms I have with this game is that while PSO2's gameplay is really well done, the game itself doesn't have it's own feel to it. It seems to lack depth and doesn't know what they want it to be.

Japan never change.

I definitely agree with this. Phantasy Star isn't an MMO and I prefer the smaller party sizes.

1. its a fully anime styled video game with perfectly balanced graphics, and plus, THERE IS NO GOD OF WAR RIPPED TYPE OF CHARACTER DESIGN IN THE GAME!!! NICE!! (i absolutely despise american character designs and how they love overly ripped male characters that make me barf from looking at) and its japanese which is another plus.
2. I love the wasd movement. no click to move, no turn based "action" (turn based gameplay is not called action, its called shit, if anyone has played aura kingdom, you know what shit is).
3. I always wait for new updates and i feel that costuming my character wiht new accessories is one huge thing that keeps me stuck to this game like glue.
4. MORE STORY!!!! and definitely make the lobby more interesting, and larger as well. the only bad thing about this game is that i feel so confined in the lobby, i feel like there is no roaming space.

This post.
1. Characters are really well designed with a lot of customization. It would be nice to see guys get more love, but I think Sega has figure out they make the most money off of loli-scratches and don't seem to bother doing anything else.
2. Gameplay is one thing I think doesn't have any flaws in the game. Balance is definitely and issue, but the way the game controls and feels is really fluid.
4. This is pretty huge for me. Not more story, but better story. What ruins the game for me is that nothing you do seems to be of any consequence. Arks is on a huge self-sustaining fleet of ships. They really have no reason to randomly go down to planets to personally kill the local wildlife with photon weapons.
The universe doesn't feel very well defined. There's nothing to see, do or interact with. While the lobby is generally pretty well done, the "My room" feature doesn't make any sense to me. You can change the scenery, so do you have to take a camp ship down to your apartment?
Other than that, the game doesn't give you any reason to care about it. Why does Arks have to massacre so many furry woodland creatures? What are Darkers after? It seems like Arks is a lot worse. What is Shion doing, and Luther controls Arks, so what? PSO starts the game with a simple premise, find out what happened to Pioneer One, and everything else stems from that as you're trying to figure out what happens. Pso2 gives you nothing to go on, nothing to look forward to or care about at all.

DJcooltrainer
Feb 24, 2014, 09:34 AM
I've been playing this game, while at the same time working on a new character on GC PSO because I recently lost my memory cards. I think I enjoy both games for different reasons, but there's times when I find a good party in PSO (which is rare for a NEW gamecube character), I find myself really missing the experience the game offered. The game mechanics are really flawed, and it's incredibly repetitive, so maybe it's just the nostalgia of playing with friends? I wonder if I'll find myself thinking the same thing about PSO2 when Sega moves on to the next thing.

I think I'm going to keep playing PSO 2, simply because it's a decent social RPG game and I've made a lot of friends playing it. But, for me, it will never be a replacement for PSO.

Zeota
Feb 24, 2014, 09:44 AM
1. I like the atmosphere and art style.
2. I enjoy the gameplay
3. Old friends from PSO/PSU

That, and I think I've had my fill of WoW-like trinity MMO's.

isCasted
Feb 24, 2014, 10:49 AM
1. It was made by Sonic Team. I tried Phantasy Star series because they didn't want to release a proper Sonic game after Generations after a while (and, tbh, still didn't). I liked idea of casual sci-fi setup that came with earlier 3D Sonic games and (Fleetway + some of Archie) comics so I checked PSU out. I liked atmosphere and universe so I've gone to check out PSO2. Dynamics of this game remind me of Sonic a lot, actually.

2. I like it for same reasons as Sonic games: soundtrack, dynamics, atmoshpere. Another thing is that I can totally play this game in absolutely relaxed state.

3. Pretty much what I said in previous parts.

4. I can write up a rather huuuge list of that and it would feel like I described a whole different game by it, but I'll say it in one word: quality. Well, I didn't really see many SEGA games that have it, but it doesn't keep me away from them.

Shinureal
Feb 24, 2014, 04:26 PM
If your comp can handle PSO2 it can handle a lot of other mmos...

Yep but no good MMOs, the good ones, take Tera, it demands 4GB memory, PSO2 just 2 on Win7.

Reyva
Feb 25, 2014, 02:47 AM
1) Because its a game I can pick up and play for a hour and go back to what I was doing

2) What do you like about the game? Sci-Fi (I can't really call it anime), real time combat system. More or less, most if not all MMOs besides Tera is your typical cookie cutter nothing amazing combat system. Follows the same premise at the end of the day.

3) What keeps you playing? Combat system and nothing else out there good to me as far as online games go besides FF14. I'm old school and played too many of these cookie cutter mmos/online games to make me want to invest time in them. Other games that somewhat mimick PSO2's combat system (i.e Korean games mostly, but the only one that came out in the USA was Rusty Hearts which was a side scrolling failure. Oh I guess I can mention Dragon's nest too). While PSO2's enemy A.I is not all that great (thus providing a better challenge and party play), all those cookie cutter MMOs are normally worse to the point to why even play?

4) What aspects of the game would you like to see improved? Better graphics and cast parts LOL. Don't really care about much else besides making the enemy A.I smarter and making fights more challenging thus promoting party play. Since I'm old school PSO/PSU, there is no way to really make me play this game like those two as often as I did.

***Disclaimer***

I rarely play pso2 these days. Mostly a console gamer these days. While I complained about PSO2 being boring in past posts, in reality, all games are like that. For example, most of the time when I log in to PSO2, its to do a taco and then log off. I look at these other cookie cutter mmo games and they do similiar things. People just log in to do dailies and at times, they can't even do that.

This is a trend I see in every online game lol. Only game I played where it wasn't the same dull and boring stuff was FFXI (the old FFXI, not the current FFXI. By old, I mean probably after the Zilart expansion and before that expansion after the COP expansion. Oh and when they did forced grouping to get things done)

This is also why I don't play all those cookie cutter MMOs that have been out or coming out. I'll try them out sure, but do I really play them? No because at the end of the day I'm going to end up doing the same thing as I do in PSO2 minus PSO2's combat system. PSO2 is as close as you get as for me actually playing and giving Segac $ from time to time.

Tera? A cookie cutter mmo to me. May be the "first" mmo with real time combat, but everything else about it was pretty much cookie cutter MMO. From quests to its boring story. I was not immersed in it at all like I was when I first played PSO2.

Blade and Soul? Interesting game I guess. Graphics are definitely superior compared to PSO2. Thats all that has going for it for me for now, but I'd give it a try.

All in all, Segac got a good game here despite all its issues. If I was going to recommend people certain types of online rpg games, it would be this :

Gameplay: PSO2, Tera, Dragon's Nest, Vindictus (Graphically superior version of PSO2)
AFK Botting (Legal): Jade Dynasty
Strategy: FFXIV/FFXI
Graphics: Blade and Soul
Story: ???? (I'm drawing blanks here)

Mike
Feb 25, 2014, 03:00 AM
1. It was made by Sonic Team.
I hate to burst your bubble, but PSO2 isn't a Sonic Team game.

AlaskanKactus
Feb 25, 2014, 01:50 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
I don't have much time to play games anymore (college student) so this game is at a good casual level. Meaning I can step away from the game for several days and comeback with no consequences. I'm also a fan of the series, PSO DC and Xbox played a major role growing up as a gamer.

Its a pretty good game considering I payed nothing for it. I don't think its an accurate sequel to the original PSO but I enjoy what it does right. Gameplay is solid and I can't find anything else like. I love the focus on customization and I like rare items.

I've made a nice circle of friends and I couldn't ask for a better team. Amazingly, the team has managed to find like minded people who just want to have fun and not complain about something everyone already knows. Other then that, I love "barbies in space" and shiny red boxes.

Woo! The list would be too long for me to type out. A one word summary would be...design. The game does a lot things that have potential but fails on the execution. The game lacks lore, I shouldn't be able to play the game for almost 2 years and still not understand why I'm doing things. Why am I surveying planets? Or killing alien wildlife? Am I even traveling to other planets? Why have I killed the "final boss" over 100 times?

Overall its a great game for what it is. A free to play Online Action RPG.

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2014, 01:59 PM
The game lacks lore, I shouldn't be able to play the game for almost 2 years and still not understand why I'm doing things. Why am I surveying planets? Or killing alien wildlife? Am I even traveling to other planets? Why have I killed the "final boss" over 100 times?
I think this may be more a problem of the language barrier than the game itself.

ShinMaruku
Feb 25, 2014, 02:03 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but PSO2 isn't a Sonic Team game.

Since that team no longer exists but the bulk of the pso2's team is former members we can argue it is a Sonic team game. It also gets points for being incompetent in several areas that hurt the potential. But views things by what the are rather than what they aught to be.

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2014, 02:09 PM
Since that team no longer exists but the bulk of the pso2's team is former members we can argue it is a Sonic team game. It also gets points for being incompetent in several areas that hurt the potential. But views things by what the are rather than what they aught to be.
Sonic Team still exists though, the Sonic Team logo appears in the Sonic Lost World credits and also in its webpage.
http://www.sega.com/soniclostworld/

Valimer
Feb 25, 2014, 03:34 PM
That's because they make plenty of money from people playing dress-up.

I play because my friends play, and it's something to do when I'm bored. I do enjoy this game, but like others, I wish it could be better and had more to do. If you play this game occasionally and try not to get into it too much, it's not such a bad game. If you play it frequently and want more out of it though, then it starts to feel like it's lacking. You can tell SEGA was aiming for the casual department with this game. It's something you pick up and play for awhile, then do something else. Emergency Missions are a testament to that.

Thankfully, I play other things besides PSO 2, so in the end it's a decent experience on this game. I'll play PSO 2 when an EM comes up or my friends are on, then play other "hardcore" games when I'm in a real gaming mood.

It's not even that there isn't enough content, but that the existing content is pretty boring.

For example, AQ's could have been different and more interesting, Interrupt rankings dont come up often enough, Time Attacks were designed very poorly in my opinion, the emergency trials that show up in the field are all uninteresting and pretty much the same, they could have designed specific and more fun and interesting missions and left only the free exploration to be randomly generated etc. etc.

But you're right, they make /enough/ money from costumes and people who want new mags and bigger inventory space. It just boggles my mind that they wouldn't want their game to be more liked and more popular. Imagine if PSO2 was as popular as League of Legends? They would make SO much more money. It's funny because PSO2 actually got poor/mediocre reviews in Japan.

darkante
Feb 25, 2014, 04:04 PM
I played this game mostly because itīs a direct sequels to one of my favorite games of all time.
But that alone wonīt hold me for long, there is no real depth too PSO2.
Just run in circles for waves of enemies to die like flies and respawn infinitely and hope you can leech a bit for good stuff or wait for EQ for something slightly different.

Mine Defence is different since itīs like a Tower Defence mode and iīm personally not a real fan of it, but it need more different objectives to spice things up.

I donīt really play this game much other then popping in every now and doing new stuff and story related things.

Arksenth
Feb 25, 2014, 04:08 PM
Mine Defence is different since itīs like a Tower Defence mode and iīm personally not a real fan of it, but it need more different objectives to spice things up.

With the towers spaced so far apart, it honestly feels more like a zerg-rush-the-everything mode (aka: same old gameplay) than an honest tower defense.

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2014, 04:09 PM
TD isn't actually anything like the traditional tower defense genre. You don't place towers. You don't shape enemy paths. You don't do anything but attack enemies. TD is tower defense with you on the ground, no towers, and constantly exposed cores.

We only call it tower defense because you literally defend towers, so the term caught on in groups that can't read japanese (so most of us terrible horrible evil gaijins). That's not even how it translates; it's closer to Mine Base Defense.

Kilich
Feb 25, 2014, 04:46 PM
It's funny because PSO2 actually got poor/mediocre reviews in Japan.

To be fair, the overall score of 6.7, I think, is not bad. And it changes depending on demographic and whether the reviewer had friends to play with.

But maybe that's because I don't browse game review sites, where everything below 8 is deemed terrible, 9 as decent, and 10 as prepaid.

DeificEpyon
Feb 25, 2014, 06:03 PM
It's not even that there isn't enough content, but that the existing content is pretty boring.

For example, AQ's could have been different and more interesting, Interrupt rankings dont come up often enough, Time Attacks were designed very poorly in my opinion, the emergency trials that show up in the field are all uninteresting and pretty much the same, they could have designed specific and more fun and interesting missions and left only the free exploration to be randomly generated etc. etc.

But you're right, they make /enough/ money from costumes and people who want new mags and bigger inventory space. It just boggles my mind that they wouldn't want their game to be more liked and more popular. Imagine if PSO2 was as popular as League of Legends? They would make SO much more money. It's funny because PSO2 actually got poor/mediocre reviews in Japan.

I don't think SEGA wants to take any risks with this game. So they're playing it safe and making money off of what they know will work for sure (dress-up). Many people have pointed out on this forum that they believe SEGA has no idea what really made previous games popular, so they just go with what they know works. I wouldn't find it hard to believe.

I'm aware the content in this game is quite boring, that's why I stick to doing a select few things (EM's for instance). While the current content could be better, it still wouldn't hurt to have more things to do as well. Honestly, PSO 2 is just a social hub with gameplay tacked on. When you start to look at it that way it makes more sense.

FroMoua
Feb 26, 2014, 06:50 PM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
I've played PSO on the Nintendo GameCube, I've loved this kind of game-style ever since then.
EVERYTHING! Love how you can customize your character, hack-n-slashy type of battles, everything. Haha
The daily logins, friends, EQs, rares.
There isn't much yet, but one, the rare stone shop could be a little bit easier.

Kion
Mar 1, 2014, 10:07 PM
The game does a lot things that have potential but fails on the execution. The game lacks lore, I shouldn't be able to play the game for almost 2 years and still not understand why I'm doing things. Why am I surveying planets? Or killing alien wildlife? Am I even traveling to other planets? Why have I killed the "final boss" over 100 times?

I've been really annoyed with this as well. After translating nearly all of the story it's only starting to show a faint sense of direction. A few scenes I translated with Casra indicate that Arks might be perpetuating the conflict with Darkers as it provides an impetus for increased militarization. In another conversation he says that the duty of the Three Heroes is to protect the Mother Ship and nothing more. So eventually the plot seems to be picking up, but I think it ties in with what DeificEpyon says.

I'm aware the content in this game is quite boring, that's why I stick to doing a select few things (EM's for instance). While the current content could be better, it still wouldn't hurt to have more things to do as well. Honestly, PSO 2 is just a social hub with gameplay tacked on. When you start to look at it that way it makes more sense.

They probably make more money on scratch tickets for costumes that anything else. Sega's focus is making money, so it's probably a low priority for them to make more story chapters if it doesn't have any adverse effect against their bottom line. Even so, I'm still pretty disappointed as the game's content and the rules of how the world works, so having a good lore generally really contributes to the games experience. That being said though, even with all of the game's short comings, it's still better than a lot of other games out there.

wefwq
Mar 2, 2014, 11:02 AM
1) Why do you play Pso2?
Idk, i already played this game since beta days, and this game successfully bait my interest. But probably just because i don't have any other game to play with.

Detailed character creator, like really it's really hard to find game with good CC. Sometimes i found myself rolling either an ugly or awkward looking character or generic-ish looks. I also loves action game in general, and overall game art directions.

Probably i have people to play with, or because huge amount of time investment.

More content variations and better RNG.

MegaMettaurX
Mar 4, 2014, 03:09 PM
I stopped because I couldn't find a good enough answer for myself. I could say it was fun, but to be honest, it really wasn't. It was just a grind, for no end reward.

Aussei
Mar 4, 2014, 08:14 PM
I stopped because I couldn't find a good enough answer for myself. I could say it was fun, but to be honest, it really wasn't. It was just a grind, for no end reward.

B..b-bu.but...the...game...isn't...even.....finished... .....

BIG OLAF
Mar 4, 2014, 08:15 PM
B..b-bu.but...the...game...isn't...even.....finished... .....

Games like these are never finished, so what's your point?

Yuzune
Mar 5, 2014, 01:10 AM
Why being so serious? if you love the game there is no reason not to play it @3@

TerminalMontage
Mar 5, 2014, 02:19 AM
I play because I loved the original PSO. When 2 first came out it was lacking in content, but I just got back into it recently, and I'm moving along quite nicely. I got a cool outfit and I'm really just playing to experience all the new areas :D

This is a good sequel.

Jungo Torii
Mar 5, 2014, 03:29 AM
When I did play it was because I thought Sega really had something great going on with their combat system despite the general lack of content during open beta and after release. Great ideas abound.

But...they kinda squandered all that in my eyes. I still think PSO2 is a genuinely great game, but I haven't seen any signs that make me want to come back. Just...Sega, man.

EDIT: I kinda didn't read the opening post (my bad), so as far as what I think could improve the game? Probably Sega being a little more careful and paying more attention to game balance. Making all classes equally viable (which they seem to have a problem doing considering multiple times throughout the game's lifespan have seen the different classes getting buffed to hell or way too drastically hit with the nerf stick).

Instances that are actually unique and more substantial new content. Randomly generated maps really doesn't do a whole lot for the game after a while imo. I think Sega could try to make missions and instances unique by giving them their own unique scenery while also keeping consistent the signs and indicators the planets on which they take place.