PDA

View Full Version : games similar to pso2?

pkemr4
Feb 22, 2014, 05:36 PM
what games are out there that has decent graphics and has a combat system like pso2 has (weapon palete switching and subpalltes)

FacelessRed
Feb 22, 2014, 05:53 PM
None I've played.

blace
Feb 22, 2014, 06:03 PM
As far as I'm aware, only Sega has done that. Other games tend to be point and click or third person pvp gun fights.

Shinureal
Feb 22, 2014, 06:12 PM
Haven't played it myself yet, but I guess "Vindictus" is action based.

blace
Feb 22, 2014, 06:13 PM
Vindictus locks you into what you currently have equipped like any other traditional game. The game itself is pretty similar, but doesn't have the weapon and pallette swapping.

Emp
Feb 22, 2014, 06:16 PM
Ragnarok is very much similar. It doesnt have a complex game systems like PSO2 but it does has an equipment system based on cards, weapons and armor.

FacelessRed
Feb 22, 2014, 06:20 PM
Why was ragnarok 2 WOW 1.5 with chibi people? ::sigh::

strikerhunter
Feb 22, 2014, 06:27 PM
IMO really no other games is like PSO2. There some other action based rpgs close to PSO2 but most of them are either single player, arcade games, or have far too much restriction on the attack actions (like the elder scroll games).

But Monster Hunter seems most closely to PSO2 in terms of the feel but without the classes and weapon palette stuffs from my experience but then again if the series you are playing on doesn't have multiplayer access then that counteracts my point.

Gourd
Feb 22, 2014, 06:30 PM
If you can tolerate the clumsy, slow, overanimated, and tedious combat of Monster Hunter, that game is similar in playstyle. Can't say the same for it's quality compared to PSO2 though. lol

It doesn't have the pallette switching though. At least not the one I played.

Sizustar
Feb 22, 2014, 06:59 PM
There's a few, but none really for PC.
God Eater 2, Ragnarok Odessey, Monster Hunter, and possible Freedom War

strikerhunter
Feb 22, 2014, 07:00 PM
If you can tolerate the clumsy, slow, overanimated, and tedious combat of Monster Hunter, that game is similar in playstyle. Can't say the same for it's quality compared to PSO2 though. lol

It doesn't have the pallette switching though. At least not the one I played.

excuse me but which monster hunter had you played? or played enough should I say.

Taurus83
Feb 22, 2014, 07:44 PM
how about Aura Kingdom? but not action type

Lostbob117
Feb 22, 2014, 07:52 PM
Minecraft

VKhaun
Feb 22, 2014, 09:20 PM
Warframe.
Warframe uses Primary / Secondary / Melee and has more complicated resist tables than PSO, where different enemies within the same mission have very different combinations of defensive stats, but more customization options for equipment that are not permanent choices, so you can alter the same weapons to fit multiple scenarios. Plus your character has similar options for his own set of powers, and you can swap characters at will.

Warframe is more... visceral... than PSO. Enemies are aggressive and numerous, lots and lots of hitscan and fast projectile ranged attacks, lots of close quarters combat. Full third person shooter, no auto-target really.

I'm very well established on Warframe if you want more info.

Dark Souls
Dark souls is a 3rd person action game that uses left/right hand slots with alternates for each hand and the ability to put away the left handed item and hold the right hand item in two hands, regardless of what the right hand item is.

This can be inaccessible at times, because even your alternate items count towards weight restrictions and moving quickly is very important in Dark Souls. To make use of multiple weapons you'll have to wear cloth or dump heavily into the endurance stat on level up. Neither of these are bad strategies though, and in fact many players do both.

Multiplayer on Dark Souls is it's own animal... hard to explain in a blurb, but you should consider it a single player game where you can summon random people to help, but at the risk of evil random people coming to hinder you as well.

Dark Souls enemies are a lot like PSO2 where you can block/parry etc and big bosses that throw you around, but the format of the game is more evil and it's not a random set of tiles, it's all pre-planned levels with traps and ambushes for you. You will die. You will die a lot.

Aussei
Feb 22, 2014, 09:41 PM
Hmmm that's hard to find. There are lotsa games now with an action combat system. TERA and Blade & Soul in my opinion have similar combat systems each is different in their own ways but Blade & Soul is not released in the USA you can play on the chinese server though. TERA is alright but not so in depth character customization.
Aion has an AMAZING character customization but it's very complicated. If you focus on PvE only I guess it's alright but this game is PvPvE so fighting others eventually becomes inevitable. The combat system is one of the very first attempt at a more actiony combat system by being able to move around while doing certain skills.

Hmmmm..... S4 League has the same concept when it comes to how to progress in the game but it's terrible so many hackers and pay to win. TPS though. Lol. Just they remind me of each other due to how you can make your character look and combat. It's like playing Gunner/Ranger/Hunter depending on what weapons you use. Mostly PvP BUT they have a story mode and survival mode. Lol. Also interesting game modes too but most of the time people want to play SWORDS ONLY TOUCH DOWN/ DEATH MATCH/CHASER

blace
Feb 22, 2014, 09:41 PM
Warframe is also more fast paced as well as needing you to be able to pay attention to your surroundings. More often than not, I find myself or another player getting gunned down when our abilities are down and the somewhat clumsy detection when wall running so that may not be quite what the OP is looking for.

S4 League would be an alright game as it follows a similar fashion to PSO's sci-fi fantasy setting, but the main focus is player versus player aspect and sports. As much as I had loved that game, the game is somewhat poorly handled with a steep learning curve when it comes to mastering weapon usage, use of abilities and combination of weapons that work well enough together or on your preferences alone. The major issue I have with the game is how there is small the population size is for servers such as NA. The servers are all interconnected so are able to play on the EU servers or any other server that has a larger population, you will need to deal with the latency and 100+ ms when playing on a server from there.

In retrospect, God Eater is a good game that emulates PSO fine as it takes elements from MH and other games of the genre and allowing for the weapon changes similar to the gunslash, however, the game is limited to the PSP for God Eater/Burst and God Eater 2 being only available for the PSP and Vita in Japanese.

Another game I just remembered would be Dragon Nest, but the game relies heavily on rerunning the same set of levels for days and nearly nonstop grind to get anywhere especially at level 40+.

Gama
Feb 22, 2014, 09:53 PM
i pretty much only play pso.

and the reason is,

nothing feels like pso.

Boltzmann
Feb 22, 2014, 09:59 PM
I've been searching for something for my PSO2 fix ever since migrating to Linux. No success thus far.
Expanding on Monster Hunter: it has vastly different, and IMO better, combat. More based on your performance as a player rather than stats and gear. And more punishing, so it's not good if you like how laid back and forgiving PSO2 can be. The designs are also nowhere near PSO2, forget about looking kawaii or wearing good-looking gear, the world isn't nearly as interesting either. It's also not MMO style, most missions will be 4 players max, some games have one or more 16 player missions too I heard, never got to the point where I can do those.
I just remembered about SMT: Imagine. It had a more-or-less(more less than more) action combat system and despite being third-party developped I find it did a good job of representing the franchise, which means it's quite cyberpunk-ish sci-fi and looked really nice. That said, I never got into it much and even after the beta most skills were far from implemented. Back when I played the cash system was much more about outfits and some convenient transport methods(aka mounts) than p2w stuff, which is also a positive point.

Warframe. [...]
Dark Souls [...]
Both have been on my radar for a while. A friend said the PvE in Warframe wasn't that hard and the game was grindy as hell overall, those and the system requirements put me off from trying it. Maybe it's time I try to take a look with my own eyes.

Shadowth117
Feb 22, 2014, 10:06 PM
I'm just waiting for the day that either SEGA gets their shit together with this game or someone makes a far better one and kills it.

I don't know why everyone and their mother is obsessed with making only fantasy style mmo's, but if the day comes when we get a good sci-fi action rpg with combat comparable or better than this than I'm not going to regret leaving this game very much.

As with PSU, I see so much potential in this game and its really infuriating how little of it is used when I see developers in other companies try so very hard to fine tune their mechanics.

blace
Feb 22, 2014, 10:13 PM
Both have been on my radar for a while. A friend said the PvE in Warframe wasn't that hard and the game was grindy as hell overall, those and the system requirements put me off from trying it. Maybe it's time I try to take a look with my own eyes.
It takes more time to get the timing of everything than anything really and grinding in the game is good for equipping mods like abilities for each warframe. I've put in 8 hours so far into the game and well, without having some of the gear I can't even hit rank 1.

VKhaun
Feb 22, 2014, 10:19 PM

Warframe is the least grindy free game ever. You are constantly finding multiple things that can help you go forward in the form of resources and mod drops and credits and mission rewarded weapon parts and blueprints. If you go to a good mission for leveling equipment you can master a gun in under ten missions, and I say ten to guard myself against odd cases. Using an XP boost it typically takes me 3-4 to max a weapon by using it and not leeching.

The problem is that they started letting people play it really really early so a lot of the community has done everything except what's in the latest patch, and newer players are told to go straight to the OP equipment that can be hard to get. The majority of players aren't just trying to progress and do everything, they've tunnel visioned on one thing somewhere and all the other things they're finding along the 'grind' to get there aren't meaningful to them.

The early game is also kind of shit, which doesn't help, but they can't fix that until the melee system and XP systems are redone, as those will be a big part of teaching new players the game and giving them equipment.

I'm at work and will be working 12hrs/day for the next few days, but next week on Tuesday night I can hook you up with some basics, if you find you like the game.

Gardios
Feb 22, 2014, 10:38 PM
GW2 kind of fits that—weapon palettes would be weapon swap and sub palette the other skills... I guess? :-?

Why was ragnarok 2 WOW 1.5 with chibi people? ::sigh::
Because all the people that made Ragnarok great left long ago. Gravity has no idea why people liked Ragnarok in the first place when they've developed RO2 (twice I might add) and they're slowly killing RO1 ever since Ep12, too.

At least Tree of Savior looks like it won't be crap like RO2.

Boltzmann
Feb 22, 2014, 10:46 PM
Warframe is the least grindy free game ever. You are constantly finding multiple things that can help you go forward in the form of resources and mod drops and credits and mission rewarded weapon parts and blueprints. If you go to a good mission for leveling equipment you can master a gun in under ten missions, and I say ten to guard myself against odd cases. Using an XP boost it typically takes me 3-4 to max a weapon by using it and not leeching.

The problem is that they started letting people play it really really early so a lot of the community has done everything except what's in the latest patch, and newer players are told to go straight to the OP equipment that can be hard to get. The majority of players aren't just trying to progress and do everything, they've tunnel visioned on one thing somewhere and all the other things they're finding along the 'grind' to get there aren't meaningful to them.

The early game is also kind of shit, which doesn't help, but they can't fix that until the melee system and XP systems are redone, as those will be a big part of teaching new players the game and giving them equipment.

I'm at work and will be working 12hrs/day for the next few days, but next week on Tuesday night I can hook you up with some basics, if you find you like the game.
Thank you, I'll try to install the game here and if everything goes alright and it runs acceptably(or at all) and I find it interesting I'll fire up a PM.

I'm just waiting for the day that either SEGA gets their shit together with this game or someone makes a far better one and kills it.

I don't know why everyone and their mother is obsessed with making only fantasy style mmo's, but if the day comes when we get a good sci-fi action rpg with combat comparable or better than this than I'm not going to regret leaving this game very much.

As with PSU, I see so much potential in this game and its really infuriating how little of it is used when I see developers in other companies try so very hard to fine tune their mechanics.
Honestly, I'm afraid even a great sci-fi game that plays greatly wouldn't do. The PS look/atmosphere is one of the reasons I miss PSO2 a lot and thus it's hard to imagine a substitute for PSO2 that doesn't look as good and good in the same way that PSO2 does(which sort of outright rules out western games)

deahamlet
Feb 23, 2014, 04:30 AM
If you want sci-fi MMO, maybe think about Wildstar (when it comes out). It does have fixed weapons per class, however.
If you want a litany of weapons and ability to swap them and action-y combat, DDO has that but it's fantasy setting (original setting was more fantasy/robots but newest setting is very fantasy blah)... DDO is old however. Like... old. And too P2Wish lately.

At least those two have more traditional raiding scene. DDO is like PSO2 as in instanced, Wildstar is open world with dungeons and raids.

Shinamori
Feb 23, 2014, 04:39 AM

I don't know why everyone and their mother is obsessed with making only fantasy style mmo's, ...

Because the medieval-fantasy thing is big n the west.

FacelessRed
Feb 23, 2014, 08:03 AM
GW2 kind of fits that—weapon palettes would be weapon swap and sub palette the other skills... I guess? :-?

Because all the people that made Ragnarok great left long ago. Gravity has no idea why people liked Ragnarok in the first place when they've developed RO2 (twice I might add) and they're slowly killing RO1 ever since Ep12, too.

At least Tree of Savior looks like it won't be crap like RO2.

Yes, I've played both versions of RO2 and face palmed pretty hard both times.

The guy(s?) who made ragnarok went on to make granado espada, a VERY ragnarok esque game with nice (very nice for the time) graphics but the problem with that is It's quite old school click to move game play and I want something Like it with WASD movement. It's very fun to play and has a persistant world which is something I crave, but its just... outdated now.

Shinamori
Feb 23, 2014, 08:46 AM
Seems to be point and click, but it looks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot3Jq4WXTzU

landman
Feb 23, 2014, 09:22 AM
A friend tried to convince me to play Blade & Soul, and while I was actually interested, the truth is I don't have the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gztGpQ7C9c0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41n4qLD6yxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84

Shadowth117
Feb 23, 2014, 01:06 PM
Honestly, I'm afraid even a great sci-fi game that plays greatly wouldn't do. The PS look/atmosphere is one of the reasons I miss PSO2 a lot and thus it's hard to imagine a substitute for PSO2 that doesn't look as good and good in the same way that PSO2 does(which sort of outright rules out western games)

Oh no, I agree honestly. But one thing I feel like has been bland a lot in this and PSU was that a lot of the environments were boring and bland. There are some really cool looking levels in PSU and PSO2 as well. I'm not going to include PSO/PSP2/I stuff because there was a lot more good stuff in that to begin wtih. But stuff like this for example:
[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso2luna.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/pso2-parallel-area-2.jpg
http://www.pso2luna.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/pso2-parallel-area-3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PcRuUVW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lGhCc3c.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TrwMWiZ.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

And yeah, there's a lot more cool areas to show for sure. From this game a big one that stands out is den. But its just sad to me that so many other areas are just bland and uninspired in comparison to the other stuff they've done. I mean Tundra really just looks like my backyard from when I lived in Maryland in the winter overall.

Mysterious-G
Feb 23, 2014, 03:03 PM
Personally, I feel they have been doing a very good job designing just about everything ever since Ep. 2 hit. Beach, Quarry and seabed all look gorgeous. I am sure the following areas will as well. The enemy designs have been amazing too ever since in my humble opinion. It's like they have been investing both more time and money into their new content, in any case stuff just looks so much better now. I wouldn't mind them going back and prepping up old areas a tad as well, but I doubt we'll see that happen ever.

Z-0
Feb 23, 2014, 03:59 PM
I wish that would fix the problems with this game.

Shinureal
Feb 23, 2014, 04:09 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but how about Tera Online?

deahamlet
Feb 23, 2014, 04:38 PM
Haven't read all the posts, but how about Tera Online?

Lol no. Leveling is boring enough but endgame is terribly limited and boring. The combat is amazing and it looks good (can't really modify bodies much) but that's it.

Z-0
Feb 23, 2014, 04:50 PM
That sounds like PSO2 all over, though.

BIG OLAF
Feb 23, 2014, 04:52 PM

TERA plays nothing like PSO2, but yes, the overall premise of "is pretty fun at first, but gets progressively worse/boring as you go along" fits quite nicely.

That, and TERA's graphics are gorgeous. PSO2's don't "suck", per se, but they aren't on the same level as TERAs.

yoshiblue
Feb 23, 2014, 05:02 PM
TERA plays nothing like PSO2, but yes, the overall premise of "is pretty fun at first, but gets progressively worse/boring as you go along" fits quite nicely.

That, and TERA's graphics are gorgeous. PSO2's don't "suck", per se, but they aren't on the same level as TERAs.

More or less this. They are starting to release more cosmetic items but people are starting to complain that its ruining the lore and immersion. Heh.

Sp-24
Feb 23, 2014, 05:05 PM
TERA and Warframe have been mentioned already, so I can only remember Dragon Nest. It's overall closer to TERA, and more party centric than PSO2, but the basic idea of not being point-and-click is still there.

There's also PSO2's daddy, Dynasty Warriors Online. Try it out if you hate yourself.

Kilich
Feb 23, 2014, 05:26 PM
There are none, I think.

Warframe is about running dungeons in space ninja style. To gather the materials for your next item and wait for several days for your craft to complete.

Blade and Soul is ancient Asian martial arts themed, so while it has an open world, great combat system and character customization, its very different.

Tera, well, its a typical fantasy mmo with a non target combat. That's about it.

gigawuts
Feb 23, 2014, 05:30 PM
Dark Souls has a similar combat style AND weapon switching, plus target locking. Very much like PSO2. It even has online play if you use a consumable (use them as soonas you can to connect with friends). You should get it.

Renderless
Feb 23, 2014, 05:37 PM
There's also PSO2's daddy, Dynasty Warriors Online. Try it out if you hate yourself.

English server shut down last the beginning of last month.

Kilich
Feb 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
Well, playing it in English wouldn't be close to PSO2 experience anyway.

pkemr4
Feb 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
so i guess pso2 is unique compared to other mmos in terms of gameplay...

gigawuts
Feb 23, 2014, 06:54 PM
That would be because it's only partially an MMO, with many other elements mixed in. I mean, some will split hairs and say that it's not an MMO, but by the common definition of "online game with lots of people [more than an FPS would have, anyway]" it most definitely is. Those people may not interact with you directly, but their influence is most definitely present in the market, in the lobby, all the different people you encounter in MPAs, etc.

It takes a few pages out of PSO's & PSU's books, Monster Hunter's book, and several other games. It's also F2P.

It's actually much less like an MMO as many would identify them (WoW, Tera, that sort of game), and much more like Monster Hunter's gameplay with large lobbies, updates, scratch, and a player market.

Sp-24
Feb 23, 2014, 07:23 PM
English server shut down last the beginning of last month.
Japanese server should still be up, and as IP-locked as ever.

blueyou
Feb 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
Dragon nest is good, just lacks content...and a host with morals.

deahamlet
Feb 25, 2014, 12:47 PM

Actually no, TERA is not like PSO2. In TERA your endgame content worth a damn was one "raid" which was laggy as all hell (you had to be at 0 all graphics in order to move), and four dungeons. Two dungeons you shortmanned for some mats, was eye gougingly boring because it was the exact same mobs in the exact same rooms every time and basically everyone had to run 100s of these cause that was the only way to get the mats. And the upgrades were RNG so you could use 200 mats on one weapon easy. Also these dungeons were too easy, hence the solo/shortman. Another dungeon you ran to get some items to get yourself going and then some mats. Got crazy boring after a while but at least this one required at least 3 people and PUGs were hilarious fun after you were bored to tears of this. Last bastige of a dungeon was the ultimate dungeon with two difficulties. It took time to get down the moves, the mechanics... once you had them it was eye gougingly boring with your static and eye gougingly frustrating if you even changed one person with someone new. The second difficulty took even longer to get the exact mechanics down and required decent gear.

Four stupid dungeons that you had to look at over and over and over again... I take PSO2 random maps and Emergency quests and raid setups any bloody time. And Limited Quests are my favourite part about PSO2, they need to do them more often. :D

Oh and Tera introduced new "content" but all the gear was lower than the top drop gear (top-top was crafted) so seems pretty damn pointless and it was a reworking of an old dungeon into a raid party dungeon. MEH! Only in the last couple of months did they finally bring better gear... but it's just an upgrade for your top-top gear which is crafted (if you think XQ and 12* Falz is mindnumbingly boring, you have not tried to get top gear in TERA).

No, no, PSO2 has many faults, but still leagues above TERA. I did enjoy playing healer in TERA though, that was a nice change.

Vintasticvin
Feb 25, 2014, 01:16 PM
Dynasty Warriors. Try it out if you hate yourself.

This is how I feel when I get done plaging Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. I simply loathe myself and disgusted. XD

On topic, Pso2 is a unique snowflake.

Z-0
Feb 25, 2014, 01:18 PM
Actually no, TERA is not like PSO2. In TERA your endgame content worth a damn was one "raid" which was laggy as all hell (you had to be at 0 all graphics in order to move), and four dungeons. Two dungeons you shortmanned for some mats, was eye gougingly boring because it was the exact same mobs in the exact same rooms every time and basically everyone had to run 100s of these cause that was the only way to get the mats. And the upgrades were RNG so you could use 200 mats on one weapon easy. Also these dungeons were too easy, hence the solo/shortman. Another dungeon you ran to get some items to get yourself going and then some mats. Got crazy boring after a while but at least this one required at least 3 people and PUGs were hilarious fun after you were bored to tears of this. Last bastige of a dungeon was the ultimate dungeon with two difficulties. It took time to get down the moves, the mechanics... once you had them it was eye gougingly boring with your static and eye gougingly frustrating if you even changed one person with someone new. The second difficulty took even longer to get the exact mechanics down and required decent gear.

Four stupid dungeons that you had to look at over and over and over again...
Sounds like PSO2 all over.

If you think PSO2 is any different, you've obviously not put enough hours in.

edit:

Oh and Tera introduced new "content" but all the gear was lower than the top drop gear (top-top was crafted) so seems pretty damn pointless and it was a reworking of an old dungeon into a raid party dungeon. MEH! Only in the last couple of months did they finally bring better gear... but it's just an upgrade for your top-top gear which is crafted (if you think XQ and 12* Falz is mindnumbingly boring, you have not tried to get top gear in TERA).
Also PSO2.

Sp-24
Feb 25, 2014, 01:56 PM
This is how I feel when I get done plaging Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. I simply loathe myself and disgusted. XD

On topic, Pso2 is a unique snowflake.
I meant the Online game specifically. I'm not exactly a fan of KOEI games (even if they are a fun time sink), but DWO/SSMO is a whole different level of frustrating, probably even worse than PSO2 in terms of everything that's wrong with it.

Lostbob117
Feb 25, 2014, 02:09 PM
I'm telling you, Minecraft is very similar to pso2.