PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a new TV.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 23, 2014, 12:50 AM
This resulted around in a shuffling around of the TVs in my house. Since one room was going from having an old Classic TV (what I'm choosing to call SDTV, which we never called TVs before HD became a thing), we needed a couple of HDMI cables that we didn't have. So Jared_T's twin brother and I (Jamas be his name) went out to get some more HDMI cables, and also an audio cable that I needed for another purpose.

We came back a couple of hours later with another TV.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 23, 2014, 01:21 AM
8/10 prefer 480x320

Mysterious-G
Feb 23, 2014, 05:34 AM
I am reading my books in HD too. It really makes things come to life.

Blue-Hawk
Feb 23, 2014, 03:58 PM
Don't you know that any TV that's more than a day old is considered a classic TV now?

Outrider
Feb 27, 2014, 12:10 PM
I think the most important question is this: did you get enough HDMI cables for the new new TV as well?

Because otherwise you're at risk of going out to the store again and buying a new new new TV.

Blitzkommando
Feb 27, 2014, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a trip to Microcenter. "Well, I just need a window mount for my phone..."

And I end up walking out with a new mouse and a Bluray burner and discs in addition to the $12 mount. I just wish my car had an auxiliary audio input as using an FM transmitter is just frankly awful.

Outrider
Feb 27, 2014, 03:33 PM
I just wish my car had an auxiliary audio input as using an FM transmitter is just frankly awful.

Yeah, my car doesn't have an aux input or a tape deck but it does have a CD player. I mostly just have dozens of CDs (albums and CD-Rs) floating around my car.

I've considered buying an FM transmitter but in my experience they don't work that well.

One of my friends told me it's actually pretty quick easy to install an aux input, but he is also a car guy. I looked it up and it involved a soldering iron and I pretty much just closed the window immediately.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe look into a whole new radio? I hear they can go for fairly cheap, especially if you avoid features. I'm sure someone, somewhere manufactures car "radios" that are nothing but an aux input. I've thought about it myself too.

CelestialBlade
Feb 27, 2014, 04:33 PM
You can get some cheap radios on Crutchfield that add aux and USB input (useful for smartphones) for like $80-90, which isn't terrible. Plus they're great about hooking you up with wiring harnesses and guides.

Outrider
Feb 27, 2014, 05:39 PM
You can get some cheap radios on Crutchfield that add aux and USB input (useful for smartphones) for like $80-90, which isn't terrible. Plus they're great about hooking you up with wiring harnesses and guides.

That sounds like something I would need to install in my car which leads me to think I will have the same "involuntary closing of browser windows" reaction to it.

When it comes to cars and/or electronics I am not somebody who is able to actually do things. I can change a tire on my car and that's about it.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2014, 05:40 PM
You've never had to, say, installed a hard drive in your computer?

Blitzkommando
Feb 27, 2014, 05:54 PM
I would get another radio but, my car has a flush dash and not a normal radio system that can just be swapped out. If it was an option I would definitely do so. As it stands I would have to buy a dash kit and radio and would be talking over $300 just for the parts. And while I'd save on labor by doing it myself, I just don't see much point in doing this to an 11 year old car.

CelestialBlade
Feb 27, 2014, 06:07 PM
That sounds like something I would need to install in my car which leads me to think I will have the same "involuntary closing of browser windows" reaction to it.

When it comes to cars and/or electronics I am not somebody who is able to actually do things. I can change a tire on my car and that's about it.
The instructions really are easy and detailed, so it's something to keep in mind should you ever decide to give it a shot.

And I know a lot of people that can't change tires, so it's cool :P

Outrider
Feb 28, 2014, 12:13 PM
The instructions really are easy and detailed, so it's something to keep in mind should you ever decide to give it a shot.

And I know a lot of people that can't change tires, so it's cool :P

Cool, I'll take a look.

There's also the chance that I should maybe start looking for a new car, as this one has been giving me a fair amount of trouble in the last few months.

I just really don't feel like shopping for cars right now, though. Trying to plan (and most importantly, save) for a wedding makes me not want to spend money on anything big.

So maybe I will look for a new radio.

gigawuts
Feb 28, 2014, 12:20 PM
Worst case scenario? You take out the radio you have now, realize you're out of your depths, put everything back, and return it.

Best case scenario? You get your hands a little dirty (always good) and become more comfortable with something like this in the future.