PDA

View Full Version : Game Nintendo is killing online services for the Wii/DS

Tyreek
Feb 27, 2014, 01:03 AM
Welp. Apocalypse approaches the past gen.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-killing-online-services-for-wii-ds-1532216462?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Y'all got until May 20th. Goodbye Brawl/Pokemon/Mario Kart matches on wi-fi.

Mike
Feb 27, 2014, 02:58 AM
This will also mark the end of any Zero online play.

DJcooltrainer
Feb 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if someone will find a way to tunnel local wireless games over the internet. That would be wild. I'm going to miss Gen IV/V Pokemon online mostly, and the occasional brawl match with some of my friends who don't live near me anymore.

Blue-Hawk
Feb 27, 2014, 10:19 AM
My question is, why the DS? Isn't it the same wireless as on the 2/3ds?

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2014, 10:22 AM
My question is, why the DS? Isn't it the same wireless as on the 2/3ds?

No, it is not.

UnLucky
Feb 27, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hopefully now the Dolphin guys can continue working on their own, superior netplay option instead of the trash heap NFC.

I would seriously much prefer to play Brawl over fucking Kaillera than that laggy piece of shit official online.

Vintasticvin
Feb 27, 2014, 10:56 AM
Grab 3/2Ds and keep playing pokemon 4-5 and Psz?

DJcooltrainer
Feb 27, 2014, 11:10 AM
Grab 3/2Ds and keep playing pokemon 4-5 and Psz?

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service is being shut down, that's what handled all online games for the Wii, DS and DSi.

The service for the 3DS and WiiU is called Nintendo Network. Think of them as two separate online systems. You won't be able to use a 2DS or 3DS to get online with these games once the service shuts down in May.

Vintasticvin
Feb 27, 2014, 11:29 AM
The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service is being shut down, that's what handled all online games for the Wii, DS and DSi.

The service for the 3DS and WiiU is called Nintendo Network. Think of them as two separate online systems. You won't be able to use a 2DS or 3DS to get online with these games once the service shuts down in May.

I disovered that myself not too long ago lol so much for trying to be a genius and thanks for the greater clarity of the situation.

Outrider
Feb 27, 2014, 11:49 AM
Crap, that sucks. Who wants to put together a list of games worth playing online before they shut down?

This will also mark the end of any Zero online play.

I've never played Zero online before. I guess I better do so before I miss my chance!

DJcooltrainer
Feb 27, 2014, 11:53 AM
I'd say:
PS Zero, any Pokemon game, Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters. That's what I remember playing online the most. Good luck finding any games, though, as not many people play DS games online anymore. (I think most that do are flashcart users, probably why Nintendo doesn't care.)

Outrider
Feb 27, 2014, 03:12 PM
I only really played Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters online (but man, did I play them a lot back in the day).

I am still sitting around in like... the second gym in Pokemon Black, so I'm probably not going to get too much out of playing online. But maybe I can try doing some trading or something.

Alucard V
Feb 27, 2014, 04:35 PM
I don't really have much to say on this. I mean I have a custom password for my home wifi and because of that I was straight out boned when it came to Phantasy Star Zero's online co-op. Can't miss what you never had I guess.

Tho if I saw a retooled full PSZ (and not just PSZ mini) on the 3DS E-Shop I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
It was such a good game.

yoshiblue
Feb 27, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hoping for a PSZ EP II. Maybe as the love child of the hero who teams up with a now grown up Millo and Cyan.

NoiseHERO
Feb 27, 2014, 04:52 PM
No more fighting hackers in Jump Ultimate stars...

Vintasticvin
Feb 27, 2014, 04:52 PM
Hoping for a PSZ EP II. Maybe as the love child of the hero who teams up with a now grown up Millo and Cyan.

O.o What if you played as a almighty (and superior) Cast or Caseal......

yoshiblue
Feb 27, 2014, 05:51 PM
Answer A[SPOILER-BOX]Nanomachines, son![/SPOILER-BOX]Answer B[SPOILER-BOX]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Redmage64/Photons_zpsbe4c3b62.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Vintasticvin
Feb 27, 2014, 06:21 PM
Nanomachines, son!

Screw your nanomachines its all about dat Techno organic sonny boy */la pose7*

Mike
Feb 27, 2014, 06:56 PM
Hoping for a PSZ EP II.
I imagine that we'd already have a Zero sequel by now if there was going to be one.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'd think so too, but I didn't especially expect Phantasy Star Zero to come out in the first place - and I don't think any of us saw PSO2 coming in a serious, plausible way.

In light of that, I find PSZ2 possible in the next few years, after Phantasy Star Nova does its thing.

Rekku
Feb 27, 2014, 07:08 PM
If they made a PSZ2 it would most likely be on the 3DS (for continuity's sake?), and it would most likely be Japan only (>international players getting new PS games)

You know what that means.

yoshiblue
Feb 27, 2014, 07:27 PM
Would be funny if it was made by Atlus. For all we know, it could be on the back burner of things that they could do.

Mike
Feb 27, 2014, 09:07 PM
In light of that, I find PSZ2 possible in the next few years, after Phantasy Star Nova does its thing.
I don't think Sega is going give up on PSO2 side projects so easily. PSO2 is still relatively new, popular (I guess? I don't check much that would tell me otherwise), and making Sega money so I don't see them focusing on an old game that didn't sell very well. Maybe Sega will go back and revitalize older branches of the series after people get tired of playing Random Dress Up Doll Online but until then, I can't see them focus on anything else.

NoiseHERO
Feb 28, 2014, 06:17 AM
Oh yeah wasn't half the reason they made PSZ was because so many people were butthurt about PSU's existence because it wasn't PSO enough?

But here they already have a million lolicons splashing water damaged cash all over the dressup features...

Maybe we'll get a real PSO2Portable2Infinity 6 years from now though.

gigawuts
Feb 28, 2014, 09:15 AM
I don't think Sega is going give up on PSO2 side projects so easily. PSO2 is still relatively new, popular (I guess? I don't check much that would tell me otherwise), and making Sega money so I don't see them focusing on an old game that didn't sell very well. Maybe Sega will go back and revitalize older branches of the series after people get tired of playing Random Dress Up Doll Online but until then, I can't see them focus on anything else.

I don't necessarily think Nova will flop or anything (I'm really hoping it doesn't since PSO games designed to be fun offline are what I evidently fell in love with, not the online ones, plus its success may feed some positive changes back into PSO2 itself), but it is something they have that would be easier to create a sequel for than make a whole new game for.

...Maybe. It depends on if they think it's salvageable. I forget it didn't sell well since I and a bunch of my friends were so stoked about it.

I guess I've just noticed this little pattern where they like to do side-games every so often, even with their main game chugging along - possibly just to maintain a visible presence on a platform. Much like car sales, even selling something for 0 net profit and breaking even is still a net benefit.

Randomness
Feb 28, 2014, 12:31 PM
Would be funny if it was made by Atlus. For all we know, it could be on the back burner of things that they could do.

Atlus does good work, so please don't get my hopes up.

Outrider
Feb 28, 2014, 05:52 PM
Sega has made it pretty clear they don't want to interfere too much with Atlus. So basically, if Atlus got involved in a new Phantasy Star game, it would probably mean that Sega has started becoming more involved in their day-to-day. That... could be good or bad? I'm not sure, but Atlus seems to be doing things right and I'm worried of shaking anything up.

Dragwind
Mar 1, 2014, 08:10 PM
I had my golden days with Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart, PSZ, and a few others. Great times, but I can't say I'm going to horribly miss them. There was never much cheat protection which always irked me as well as the system being a little dated (still hate friend codes).

R.I.P.

Somnia
Mar 2, 2014, 01:41 AM
Is there a good Tetris w/ active online for 3DS?

RLbitClassica
Mar 2, 2014, 06:58 AM
I imagine that we'd already have a Zero sequel by now if there was going to be one.

While you're probably right, I pray to god that you are dead wrong.

Zero may have been a financial flop, but I've not felt happier playing a Phantasy Star game since the original PSO.

Akaimizu
Mar 3, 2014, 07:13 PM
I'd think so too, but I didn't especially expect Phantasy Star Zero to come out in the first place - and I don't think any of us saw PSO2 coming in a serious, plausible way.

Actually. To tell the truth. When it came to Phantasy Star Online games, it was still expected. And why? Because we pretty much got all the Phantasy Star Online playable releases, in the west, all the way up until Phantasy Star Portable 2. It was only after that when SEGA decided to kind of give up on Western releases. Infinity broke the combo, and it remained broken ever since.

gigawuts
Mar 3, 2014, 07:21 PM
Oh, I meant that I didn't expect PSZ to be created in the first place.

blazingsonic
Apr 4, 2014, 03:09 PM
Actually. To tell the truth. When it came to Phantasy Star Online games, it was still expected. And why? Because we pretty much got all the Phantasy Star Online playable releases, in the west, all the way up until Phantasy Star Portable 2. It was only after that when SEGA decided to kind of give up on Western releases. Infinity broke the combo, and it remained broken ever since.

Have anyone tried Ragnarok Odyssey Ace? It's sort of like PSP 2.

Akaimizu
Apr 7, 2014, 11:04 AM
Sort of, but not really. The Ragnarok Odyssey games aren't bad. But they really seem a lot more simpler than PSP2. Compared to a typical character in PSP2, they have very little skills or abilities, or as dynamic-level of gameplay as PSP2.

It sort of has a mission structure kind of like Monster Hunter, but it boils down to a simpler dungeon hacker that still sticks pretty much to a fantasy realm more than science-fiction.

Not to say it's bad, a more regular paced dungeon hacker "online" and on a console, these days, is rather slim pickings. Even with this update, it kind of feels like this game would not be received so well if it really had much competition at all. It certainly doesn't replace something like PSP2, but it's there, online playable, and has that 3rd-person view. For any game, that fits that bill, that plays more like a traditional dungeon hacker, and not like Monster hunter, it's one of the only ones.

It's more worth it on the portable scene than the console scene, for what I feel. It's mostly because a dungeon hacker, on console, that would easily usurp this game would be Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls on PS4, or the already released console version of Diablo 3 on 360 and PS3. The dynamic aspects of gameplay and varying builds there offer a lot more longevity, IMHO. Not to mention the combat itself.

But on portable. It's kind of feels like the game that's left, when PSP2 went away. It doesn't quite approach its combat system, even with the aerial combat, but it at least has a lot of missions to go through and you can play with friends.

Powder Keg
Apr 7, 2014, 10:15 PM
I'd be upset if Brawl was actually playable online. Very restricted and laggy. Hopefully it's done better next time around.