PDA

View Full Version : EU had it with "free" to play games

Sp-24
Feb 28, 2014, 08:31 PM
LINK (http://www.neoseeker.com/news/24765-eu-to-challenge-misleading-freetoplay-label-for-games/)

Just in case Sega didn't have enough of a reason to not release PSO2 outside of Japan, Europe now tries to battle videogame scams.

Dragwind
Mar 1, 2014, 08:05 PM
Well this will be an interesting battle.

Although in the end, I think it's just going to lead to an extra disclaimer or two when starting future free-to-play games.

DJcooltrainer
Mar 10, 2014, 10:33 AM
The game publishers will just find a new way to market the game using different terminology, same BS cat and mouse game that always gets played with software legislation. It's nice that the EU is looking out for the consumer, but I'm skeptical as to what they can actually accomplish.

gigawuts
Mar 10, 2014, 10:47 AM
Huh, I can't say I ever expected something like this to happen. Honestly, I'm surprised these people know F2P exists, nevermind how it actually works.

And yeah, I'm sure the reaction will be to just adopt a new doublespeak buzzword.

Akaimizu
Mar 10, 2014, 12:58 PM
Interesting timing on this. I wonder if a certain Electronic Arts and "Dungeon Keeper" had anything to do with this? Or perhaps a Final Fantasy concerning one of their "Bravest" releases yet?

At first, I was thinking they would basically not include Free to Play games that at least don't *gate* the gameplay behind microtransaction. But it seems they just want a new label for the genre. They'll probably rename it In-App Purchase games so that the only ones that can actually state free are ones only making money via Advertising. Like some of the smaller indie app developers do.

Sinue_v2
Mar 10, 2014, 05:03 PM
Just in case Sega didn't have enough of a reason to not release PSO2 outside of Japan

Que? I was under the impression that Sega had EVERY reason to release the game outside of Japan, and then turned AWAY from those reasons, to make it Japanese only.

Honestly, I'm surprised these people know F2P exists, nevermind how it actually works.

I'm not surprised at all. What I am surprised at is the fact that they seem to taking action against false advertising rather than the more American route of... "Ok, now how do we justify taxing it?".

Sp-24
Mar 10, 2014, 05:52 PM
Que? I was under the impression that Sega had EVERY reason to release the game outside of Japan, and then turned AWAY from those reasons, to make it Japanese only.
Oh, come on.

Reasons to release it:
- Players begged who cares

Reasons against releasing it:
- It won't instantly generate money without putting effort into it
- PSO brand isn't recognized all that well outside of Japan for some reason
- Harsh competition
- Apparently, you can't even call it free and then charge money for it anymore

But yeah, I doubt that there will be such a drastic change. Free to play market is way too profitable for that to happen, with some "free" phone apps putting even GTA5 and latest CoD to shame in terms of profits.

Akaimizu
Mar 12, 2014, 10:57 AM
Well, actually PSO license is recognized well outside of Japan, but it is losing ground precisely based on SEGA's efforts. It's like they are trying to make it so that Phantasy Star becomes less and less recognized outside of Japan.

Notice how, even unlike Shenmue or Nights, Sega has never actively put any kind of reminder that Phantasy Star even exists in other licenses where they usually splash cross-license images. Heck, even Virtua Fighter characters get better cross-adverts in the West than Phantasy Star. And what makes that funny is that the VF audience is way more niche.

As for competition, this is one area where Phantasy Star actually doesn't suffer as much. Try to find a good action-RPG, with real-time action (and action-game hitboxes) that is not High Fantasy...and you'll find something that hardly exists. Phantasy Star is rather unique in that way. It's also probably the main reason there are dedicated players willing to play the Japanese version, barriers and all. The fact noone really came around to provide direct competition to it means there isn't an alternative for them.

Still, yes. PC users will be a bit more finicky if a game doesn't provide enough updates. But that changes when two things happen together in a game.
1. It's free to play with optional microtransactions.
2. It provides a unique enough experience and environment.

PSO2 provides exactly those two things, and SEGA simply doesn't recognize that, or have any idea that makes the difference. However, in my experience of seeing many PC MMOs come and go, in that area; the ones that remain and remain strong adhere precisely to those 2 elements even if their updates are quite slow. If one of those 2 aspects are not in the game, then it wouldn't profit well enough. PSO2 doesn't have that problem and would very likely make them money.

Given that I predicted the short term lastability of PSU on PC, long before people were willing to admit it. I was simply utilizing experience and observations made across years of PC Online games that came before it. Both those who used the pay model and ones that went F2P.

gigawuts
Mar 12, 2014, 11:01 AM
PSO1 is well known by people who by now mostly are in school and have jobs.

Which is why the F2P model fits fairly well. People who grew up on the franchise are now in a position to spend money frivolously.

Or, well, a F2P model - not necessarily the one PSO2 currently uses.

I mean there's way more to it than this but I'm starting an XQ so.