PDA

View Full Version : Questions on starting a technic class.

Cykon
Mar 6, 2014, 11:41 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a new mag for either a force or a techer... unlike the rest of the classes it seems like there's no cookie cutter build for either of these, so I'm really clueless as to where to start with skill trees and sub classes.

I'm really looking for some sort of decently fast paced force or techer that can keep up with decent damage (aka I really don't want to spam megid)... I've looked at a few guides but it seems like everyone has different opinions xD?

Which main / subclass should I choose, and what skill trees should I focus on? I seem to see fire and wind often, are these viable?

Also... is a pure t-atk mag reccomended? Or should I get some sort of other stats along with it.

AlVaRo0515
Mar 6, 2014, 11:42 PM
close this thread before dark things happen.

Arksenth
Mar 6, 2014, 11:43 PM
As a current technic class, nooooooo, don't fall into the trap of investing anything in TE or FO. Please.

Takatsuki
Mar 6, 2014, 11:47 PM
Pure T-ATK mag is recommended
For Force, no matter what you do with Techer or whether it is or is not your main class, you want to max out both Flame Mastery, Flame Tech S Charge, both Tech Charge Advance, PP Charge Revival, and Tech JA Advance. Fire tree should come first before anything else. Get PP Charge Revival ASAP.

With Techer, it really depends on what you want to do with it. You generally want to get PP Convert to lv 6, and get PP Restraint 1 and Element Weak Hit to max. After that it really depends on your build. If you plan to main TE and do the whole melee thing, then Wind Mastery and Wand Gear are good ideas. If you want to go pure spellcasting then you generally want more points in things that will improve that.

xxmadplayerxx
Mar 6, 2014, 11:49 PM
Give it a shot force or techer is fun especially with the new Technics.

Totori
Mar 6, 2014, 11:49 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a new mag for either a force or a techer... unlike the rest of the classes it seems like there's no cookie cutter build for either of these, so I'm really clueless as to where to start with skill trees and sub classes.

I'm really looking for some sort of decently fast paced force or techer that can keep up with decent damage (aka I really don't want to spam megid)... I've looked at a few guides but it seems like everyone has different opinions xD?

Which main / subclass should I choose, and what skill trees should I focus on? I seem to see fire and wind often, are these viable?

Also... is a pure t-atk mag reccomended? Or should I get some sort of other stats along with it.

For decent damage, reminded due to PP restraints you will have a cooldown time.

But here's a decent tree
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06rDbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkIhfd m9bIn0000000lb000009b000000lb000008GOHk2XcK0Ib0000 6GBdojdsIkcK4UHNIo00000ib000008

Cykon
Mar 6, 2014, 11:50 PM
As a current technic class, nooooooo, don't fall into the trap of investing anything in TE or FO. Please.

Want to give any reasons why? I know most of the other classes are pretty far from cheese gunners / bravers... but is force that far behind in viability?

GALEFORCE
Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 PM
Force is behind everything but the nuttiest builds like gu/te or something. If you were to line up all the viable classes, force would be dead last, probably even behind br/fi or gu/fi (which are bad don't do those).

jiasu73
Mar 6, 2014, 11:55 PM
For braver make sure you get step attack and max weak stances. Personally i also recommend average stance and katana combat/finish but it's uses are situational and more aimed at time attack, and situations where there's a lot of mobs around you and you want to gain or not use up pp. The other option is abil up anyway so i think its a good idea! Overall i recommend that a pure fire tree be prioritized but if you can buy another tree a lightning one has its uses as well! Sadly FO is pretty weak in comparison to other classes if we are looking in the solo perspective, but it is a very important class for team-play in regards to max efficiency for time attacks/ base defense.

Cykon
Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 PM
For braver make sure you get step attack and max weak stances. Personally i also recommend average stance and katana combat/finish but it's uses are situational and more aimed at time attack, and situations where there's a lot of mobs around you and you want to gain or not use up pp. The other option is abil up anyway so i think its a good idea! Overall i recommend that a pure fire tree be prioritized but if you can buy another tree a lightning one has its uses as well! Sadly FO is pretty weak in comparison to other classes if we are looking in the solo perspective, but it is a very important class for team-play in regards to max efficiency for time attacks/ base defense.

Are you suggesting braver as a sub for force?

jiasu73
Mar 6, 2014, 11:59 PM

Yes! As of now Force/Braver is the best class for Time Attack ( for the tech class combos), and also ok for AQs and general play. FO/TE on the otherhand can be a bit more usefull in Defense since they have a skill which increases the range of zondeel ( very usefull) and support techs. The increase zondeel range helps a lot in bursts as well for AQ! I really recommend using both Fo/Br and Fo/Te and switching depending on the mission :)

Chdata
Mar 7, 2014, 12:00 AM
I main fo and currently the main usefulness of me playing that class is to spam zondeel for the Br or Gu I'm partying with.

Still a fun class to play at least.

Cykon
Mar 7, 2014, 12:01 AM
Yes! As of now Force/Braver is the best class for Time Attack ( for the tech class combos), and also ok for AQs and general play. FO/TE on the otherhand can be a bit more usefull in Defense since they have a skill which increases the range of zondeel ( very usefull) and support techs. The increase zondeel range helps a lot in bursts as well for AQ! I really recommend using both Fo/Br and Fo/Te and switching depending on the mission :)

Ok, this class combo really intrigues me, how do you usually play it (switching between force weps and katana / bow)?

And what stats did you prioritize on your mag?

xxmadplayerxx
Mar 7, 2014, 12:03 AM
Force/techer is the best class combo , just try that out. once you get to lvl45/45 then you'll notice the damage , i have all the other classes to lvl 65 except force and techer which are at lvl 63/45, i am finding it very fun class but lacks quick DPS. i killed a VH quartz dragon in under 15secs today with namegid.

milranduil
Mar 7, 2014, 12:03 AM
Besides TA, you are going to kill stuff with techs or Zondeel stuff together for other people.

Will_Nonheim
Mar 7, 2014, 12:05 AM
Pure T-ATK mag is recommended
For Force, no matter what you do with Techer or whether it is or is not your main class, you want to max out both Flame Mastery, Flame Tech S Charge, both Tech Charge Advance, PP Charge Revival, and Tech JA Advance. Fire tree should come first before anything else. Get PP Charge Revival ASAP.

With Techer, it really depends on what you want to do with it. You generally want to get PP Convert to lv 6, and get PP Restraint 1 and Element Weak Hit to max. After that it really depends on your build. If you plan to main TE and do the whole melee thing, then Wind Mastery and Wand Gear are good ideas. If you want to go pure spellcasting then you generally want more points in things that will improve that.

I second this.

I'd like to add that there's certain things you want to do before others, things you want to focus on :
I suggest getting PP Restraint on Techer as soon as you can due to allowing faster charging time in general without drawbacks. For Force, while I fully agree about Flame Mastery, I suggest you take a good look at your gameplay style by the time you've got points to invest into Force and either boost Tech Charge or Flame Mastery to the max first; if you rely on other elements, get Tech Charge first. If you've been spamming fire techs, then Flame Mastery.
This isn't set in stone or anything, it's not like there isn't a bunch of ways to do this, but that served me well to keep things somewhat efficient and definitely quite fun.

jiasu73
Mar 7, 2014, 12:09 AM
Ok, this class combo really intrigues me, how do you usually play it (switching between force weps and katana / bow)?

I recommend mag being prioritized to 175 ( tech) /0 since the ability you get from rares and max level is usually enough to provide a low variance for your skills. You can also add ability 3 to your affixes which gives +15 ability as well. I also forgot you can use bibras bow which has high t-atk and use the skill called banish arrow. Banish arrow's damage is dependent on the damage you do before it exploded so shooting techs such as nafoie/namegid will cause banish's damage to grow really high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-X8SqGbuY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-X8SqGbuY
This video above shows my japanese teamates friend using Fo/Br and should give you an idea on how it can be used :D. Although this vid is a bit old and new tactics are now being used for faster times .its still a decent refrence imo!

Jrgsubzero
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 AM
Wow, didn't know this game was so linear in terms of viable ways to play.

LonelyGaruga
Mar 7, 2014, 12:51 AM

Fo/Br just uses Weak Stance to buff its techs and Twin Daggers for travel (Twin Daggers + Step Attack is faster than ordinary running and costs no PP). Fo/Br gets OK mileage out of Narl Crescent, a particular Double Saber, for Step Attack PP recovery (Double Sabers have the best PP recovery among all melee weapons for its Step Attack) and relatively decent T-ATK, but this is mostly a TA thing.

Now, Fo/Br can use Katana Combat to cast techs while invincible, but only Susano Guren has T-ATK (don't know if any of the new Katana do, don't think they do), and its T-ATK is the same as Narl Crescent (which is barely passable). You can also use Banish Arrow + Namegid, but only the Vibras Bow has good T-ATK (thankfully, its T-ATK score is actually pretty good, around AQ Rod levels). This combination is very costly in terms of PP, however, and generally isn't worthwhile, but does have uses.

The main problem with these, as you can probably see right away, is that they are only viable if you have particular weapons. Practically speaking, Fo/Br will never use Braver weapons without those particular weapons, so for the most part, you'll be using Braver only for its skill tree. The one non-offensive use Braver weapons have for you is Asagiri Rendan dashing, which is a much faster travel method than Step Attacking with Twin Daggers, but costs PP. PP cost isn't important if you can regen what you use before encountering mobs, but it can be a problem otherwise, so it's important to weigh the pros and cons of both and use them as you see fit.

An important thing to keep in mind with Fo/Br is that it basically needs multiple Force skill trees to be good because it's mainly viable when targeting weaknesses. While this is also partially true of Fo/Te, Fo/Te suffers least because it can run a general build with decent success. You'll never do as well as a specialized build given a particular area, but if you had to use one skill tree in every area, then you'd do best to go generalized.

Last thing to note is the obligatory mention of Elysion. Elysion requires a completely specialized build and probably isn't the most practical thing to plan around, but it's pretty effective. as it allows some uncharged techs to surpass charged ones. The main flaw is that it basically prevents you from using anything other than those techs viably, though, with multiple skill trees, this is less of a problem. SH AQs will probably ensure that other routes for techs will become more viable, however, so it's more something to know about in case you're interested in it.

If you're not planning on min-maxing, Fo/Te is probably the way to go for you. Play around with techs a bit, see which ones you like, then plan a build around them. There are particular skills you should always get no matter what your build, but the actual bulk of the build is up to you and what you want to do.

Your mag should be pure T-ATK unless there are particular weapons you want to equip that require some points elsewhere. Elysion requires 500 S-ATK (any race/gender combo can hit this without S-ATK on your mag with Te/Fi, Te/Fo needs 7 S-ATK to reach it for female Humans/both Newmans, though any other race/gender combo can reach it, Fo/Te has no advantage over Te/Fo for using Elysion and thus should not be used if you want to use Elysion), and Green Duel Gaze requires 420 DEX (Green Duel Gaze offers a good buff to wind techs, and Sazan is a very good tech right now, so it's pretty viable), which requires a few points in DEX (how many depends on your race/gender, /Br shouldn't be used here because Force has Talis Tech Bonus + PP Charge Revival and Techer has Wind Masteries). Essentially everything else that's useful requires T-ATK, and boosting your T-ATK has the benefit of boosting your damage too, so it's a win-win.

Every element is "viable" for different purposes. UnLucky has a write up on the Build thread over here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010), at the bottom of the first post. Generally speaking, Fire charges fastest, Ice has the best status infliction rates, Lightning is least expensive, Wind has effects that move enemies, such as launch or vacuum effects (though its basic tech, Zan, is most notable for its ability to hit multiple hitzones per projectile, a property unique to it among all techs and nearly all attacks in the game), Light charges slowest but has overall well rounded properties to balance that out (in theory), and Dark is generally powerful and has arguably the most potent status effect in the game, but is generally unwieldy and more expensive than other techs.

I think that's everything so far. Hope it's not too intimidating to have to read so much information at once.

WildarmsRE5
Mar 7, 2014, 12:53 AM
I recommend mag being prioritized to 175 ( tech) /0 since the ability you get from rares and max level is usually enough to provide a low variance for your skills. You can also add ability 3 to your affixes which gives +15 ability as well. I also forgot you can use bibras bow which has high t-atk and use the skill called banish arrow. Banish arrow's damage is dependent on the damage you do before it exploded so shooting techs such as nafoie/namegid will cause banish's damage to grow really high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-X8SqGbuY
This video above shows my japanese teamates friend using Fo/Br and should give you an idea on how it can be used :D. Although this vid is a bit old and new tactics are now being used for faster times .its still a decent refrence imo!you'll need a Vibras Bow for this doe. . .

Fo/Te doesn't need those situational weapons, just tech away.

edit: ninja-ed.

milranduil
Mar 7, 2014, 12:57 AM
^ GL matching that dps with FOTE.

Zipzo
Mar 7, 2014, 01:02 AM

Honestly it's not really that linear, people just find the quickest and most efficient ways to do things at mach speed and spit on everything else.

In reality, you can get the job done with most any type of chosen class or weapon as long as you're a good player.

Edson Drake
Mar 7, 2014, 01:25 AM
I have a 65/65 FO/TE and my build is Lightning/Dark with some points into Fire and Light.

The above posts are sound and should get you a general idea of a build. Seems right now, the way to go is Fire/Wind because Fire is the most useful all-around and Wind for Sazan spam(if you get lv16). That may change with the next Il techs though.

However, even with decent gear(I use a Satellite Riser +10 lv2 pot) the damage is very lackluster and DPS is non-existent(unless you go with Elysion if you can buy it), so you will lag behind if you have party play in mind. Solo, it works and is a very fun class to play. Right up with RA/HU, FO/TE is my favourite class combo.

There's a reason people try to ward you off the class though as it will be a bit painful to level due to lack of damage, but hopefully a buff comes soon as the Il techs, while powerful and useful do not fix the class lack of damage. A shame.

Chdata
Mar 7, 2014, 01:29 AM
I wish sega would find better ways to buff/"fix" things by locking you into doing only one thing.

Making good money by collecting drops from anything in any VH area?
Not anymore! Do TACO only every day instead of getting to play in any area you want.

Any class viable? Now everything is a ton weaker than just going shunka shunka shunka!

Cykon
Mar 7, 2014, 02:33 AM
Fo/Br just uses Weak Stance to buff its techs and Twin Daggers for travel (Twin Daggers + Step Attack is faster than ordinary running and costs no PP). Fo/Br gets OK mileage out of Narl Crescent, a particular Double Saber, for Step Attack PP recovery (Double Sabers have the best PP recovery among all melee weapons for its Step Attack) and relatively decent T-ATK, but this is mostly a TA thing.

Now, Fo/Br can use Katana Combat to cast techs while invincible, but only Susano Guren has T-ATK (don't know if any of the new Katana do, don't think they do), and its T-ATK is the same as Narl Crescent (which is barely passable). You can also use Banish Arrow + Namegid, but only the Vibras Bow has good T-ATK (thankfully, its T-ATK score is actually pretty good, around AQ Rod levels). This combination is very costly in terms of PP, however, and generally isn't worthwhile, but does have uses.

The main problem with these, as you can probably see right away, is that they are only viable if you have particular weapons. Practically speaking, Fo/Br will never use Braver weapons without those particular weapons, so for the most part, you'll be using Braver only for its skill tree. The one non-offensive use Braver weapons have for you is Asagiri Rendan dashing, which is a much faster travel method than Step Attacking with Twin Daggers, but costs PP. PP cost isn't important if you can regen what you use before encountering mobs, but it can be a problem otherwise, so it's important to weigh the pros and cons of both and use them as you see fit.

An important thing to keep in mind with Fo/Br is that it basically needs multiple Force skill trees to be good because it's mainly viable when targeting weaknesses. While this is also partially true of Fo/Te, Fo/Te suffers least because it can run a general build with decent success. You'll never do as well as a specialized build given a particular area, but if you had to use one skill tree in every area, then you'd do best to go generalized.

Last thing to note is the obligatory mention of Elysion. Elysion requires a completely specialized build and probably isn't the most practical thing to plan around, but it's pretty effective. as it allows some uncharged techs to surpass charged ones. The main flaw is that it basically prevents you from using anything other than those techs viably, though, with multiple skill trees, this is less of a problem. SH AQs will probably ensure that other routes for techs will become more viable, however, so it's more something to know about in case you're interested in it.

If you're not planning on min-maxing, Fo/Te is probably the way to go for you. Play around with techs a bit, see which ones you like, then plan a build around them. There are particular skills you should always get no matter what your build, but the actual bulk of the build is up to you and what you want to do.

Your mag should be pure T-ATK unless there are particular weapons you want to equip that require some points elsewhere. Elysion requires 500 S-ATK (any race/gender combo can hit this without S-ATK on your mag with Te/Fi, Te/Fo needs 7 S-ATK to reach it for female Humans/both Newmans, though any other race/gender combo can reach it, Fo/Te has no advantage over Te/Fo for using Elysion and thus should not be used if you want to use Elysion), and Green Duel Gaze requires 420 DEX (Green Duel Gaze offers a good buff to wind techs, and Sazan is a very good tech right now, so it's pretty viable), which requires a few points in DEX (how many depends on your race/gender, /Br shouldn't be used here because Force has Talis Tech Bonus + PP Charge Revival and Techer has Wind Masteries). Essentially everything else that's useful requires T-ATK, and boosting your T-ATK has the benefit of boosting your damage too, so it's a win-win.

Every element is "viable" for different purposes. UnLucky has a write up on the Build thread over here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010), at the bottom of the first post. Generally speaking, Fire charges fastest, Ice has the best status infliction rates, Lightning is least expensive, Wind has effects that move enemies, such as launch or vacuum effects (though its basic tech, Zan, is most notable for its ability to hit multiple hitzones per projectile, a property unique to it among all techs and nearly all attacks in the game), Light charges slowest but has overall well rounded properties to balance that out (in theory), and Dark is generally powerful and has arguably the most potent status effect in the game, but is generally unwieldy and more expensive than other techs.

I think that's everything so far. Hope it's not too intimidating to have to read so much information at once.

Not intimidating at all, this was really insightful, thanks.

Zorafim
Mar 7, 2014, 02:34 AM

It sounded like he was saying to go braver instead of force.

Welcome to the Phantasy Star franchise. If you have any questions, please visit our local questions thread.

LonelyGaruga
Mar 7, 2014, 02:46 AM
Not intimidating at all, this was really insightful, thanks.

Glad to hear that! Or, as the case may be, read. One last thing to add: That Fo/Br featured in the video adios linked is a very exceptional player from the videos I've seen prior, and I'd definitely recommend watching the rest of their videos if you can. A lot of the stuff I've seen of Fo/Br was done by that player, and the stuff like using Narl Crescent is something I've only seen that particular player do. Very insightful to what Fo/Br is capable of, so if you decide to go that route, there's a lot you can learn from watching them.

Sizustar
Mar 7, 2014, 06:16 AM
So what's the Elysion build I hear so much about?

I know it requrie the 11* Techer weapon potentional 3, and currently people seem to b e saying Namegid(With the range increase tech extend) or the new Meteor tech.

UnLucky
Mar 7, 2014, 07:01 AM
Want to give any reasons why? I know most of the other classes are pretty far from cheese gunners / bravers... but is force that far behind in viability?

Mostly on account of what you've said in the first post, actually.

There's no singular best build for tech casting.

Fo/Te, Fo/Fi, Fo/Br, Te/Fo, Te/Fi, Te/Br, Te/Hu are all a thing. Hell, throwing in Ranger or Gunner was a thing at some point, too (as was Fo/Hu).

That, and elemental masteries coupled with elemental weakness. You simply can't perform at your best in every area. Now, that's also true for Ranger, Gunner, or bow Braver due to some enemies not having easy weakpoints, but nothing about their skill trees would change from area to area.

Go from Forest to Quarry to Floating Continent and none of the techs that were the best in one area are the best in the next. And it's not like each element has comparable techs for the same situations, so you'll have to adapt your playstyle as well as your skill tree and palettes.

You can just say screw optimality and use a general build all the time, but technics fall short of PA damage as it stands, so a further loss in damage can really hurt.

Basically, it's a huge expense and a lot of work which still ends up weaker than the other classes. It was always like that, but at least the damage was there to justify all the trouble. Luckily it sounds like it's only a secondary thing to you, so you hopefully won't be heavily invested in it, but do know what you're getting into beforehand.

Sanguine2009
Mar 7, 2014, 07:33 AM
So what's the Elysion build I hear so much about?

I know it requrie the 11* Techer weapon potentional 3, and currently people seem to b e saying Namegid(With the range increase tech extend) or the new Meteor tech.

generally you spam uncharged techs like sazan lv16 or other techs that lend themselfs well to elysion as a te/fi or te/fo. for that you would want to max the wind masterys and get a point in territory burst at the very least. the rest of the tree is a bit more flexible depending on how you want to spec your techer. look in the melee techer thread for builds