PDA

View Full Version : The EQs are having too many players

Edson Drake
Mar 17, 2014, 10:32 AM
This last TD, I was DC'd, and right when I was fighting Vibrace no less. My router also went bonkers, restarting itself. Weird, but it happens when playing PSO2 sometimes, I wonder what that is about.

Pissed off, I tried connecting again. I noticed the servers had "Busy" status. Tried getting into my room, and DC again. I quit the game and went to Marvel Heroes. Rock solid connection.

Now, I try to get back to PSO2 and it's "Normal" again, meaning the players only came for TD and left the game.

While I can understand the desire to play TD only, this is causing far too many problems, not only for me, but for others that suffer from the same DC issues I do.

Two things I think would solve the problem:

More servers, no shit Sherlock! Yeah I know, unlikely, but this could help, not fix it.

Time-outs. I believe this is the solution, having time-outs triggered by inputs, meaning that if you do not press anything in, say, 15 minutes, you are automatically disconnected.

Tired of logging on for TD only to find out you are 3 hours late for a good block? This would get you a nice spot. It would also mean better players would have to mix with bad players, making the runs more balanced, instead of "OMG hurry to get our 5th run!" and "Goddamnit folks we're on the verge of losing a second tower!" we have right now.

It's a simple solution, I wonder how the Japanese haven't complained about this yet, because even with Premium, you need to secure a spot very early on and even then you can get DC'd and screwed anyways.

(also slightly annoyed because I can't connect to B10 in months.)

jooozek
Mar 17, 2014, 10:36 AM
don't blame the players for the shitty servers
like seriously
how do you get to that point even

Dnd
Mar 17, 2014, 10:46 AM
Um, just because a person camps out in b10 for 4 hours before an EQ doesnt mean he/she is a good player.

I logged in 10 mins before this last mining base, and got into b16 when 10-24 where almost full. Lag screwed us out of a 3rd run, again.

As for people coming online only for TD (Especially this timeslot TD) is right in the middle of Japan peak time, in addition its pretty much still the most rewarding thing for time spent on pso2 right now, it really isn't surprising masses of people log on just it, even more so considering boost week.

Sega need to sort out their servers however, its downright depressing when lag constantly screws over tower defence. We lost a tower from full HP on a wave 6 (60% s-atk) this afternoon, because of the huge lag spikes. The tower blew up, THEN a burst barrier went up, THEN everything instantly died within 2 seconds. The last 3 EQ's we've lost 2-3 minutes due to lagging out, thus losing the 3rd run every time....

keywen
Mar 17, 2014, 10:52 AM
Lag gets kind of annoying during JP peak times, but you have to consider the circumstances.

1. JP Prime Time: Need I say more? Busy Servers are inherently laggy
2. Foreign Connection: You're never going to have a reliable connection to the servers as long as you live outside of japan.
3. Boost Week: With these insane boosts, everyone is chomping at the bit to get their sweet sweet 11* weapons.

If you'r expecting NOT to lag/disconnect with these three situations ALL in effect, you're gunna have a bad time.

EDIT: It's all super annoying but it's something almost all of us are going to have to deal with. Unfortunately...

Shinamori
Mar 17, 2014, 10:56 AM
Having a good connection helps too. I personally haven't DC once.

Edson Drake
Mar 17, 2014, 10:57 AM
Um, just because a person camps out in b10 for 4 hours before an EQ doesnt mean he/she is a good player.

I logged in 10 mins before this last mining base, and got into b16 when 10-24 where almost full. Lag screwed us out of a 3rd run, again.

As for people coming online only for TD (Especially this timeslot TD) is right in the middle of Japan peak time, in addition its pretty much still the most rewarding thing for time spent on pso2 right now, it really isn't surprising masses of people log on just it, even more so considering boost week.

Sega need to sort out their servers however, its downright depressing when lag constantly screws over tower defence. We lost a tower from full HP on a wave 6 (60% s-atk) this afternoon, because of the huge lag spikes. The tower blew up, THEN a burst barrier went up, THEN everything instantly died within 2 seconds. The last 3 EQ's we've lost 2-3 minutes due to lagging out, thus losing the 3rd run every time....

Oh yeah, probably should've pointed that out. In my experiences with blocks B10/11/12(sometimes) I always had top-notch TD runs. And since everyone is camping out B10, it surely means something, I'm sure you've noticed and I didn't mention in the OP because I thought it was a general consensus.

Good players don't want to play with bad players, that's easy enough to understand. But If they don't get mixed out, the bad players can't evolve, and perpetuating the "rich get richer, poor stays poor" situation that should be avoided.

Having a good connection helps too. I personally haven't DC once.

As I mentioned, with other games I have no issues. My connection is rock-solid, but surely because it's so far away, it affects my ping, no doubt. But the influx of players is the cause, otherwise I play just fine.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 17, 2014, 11:06 AM
Good players don't want to play with bad players, that's easy enough to understand. But If they don't get mixed out, the bad players can't evolve, and perpetuating the "rich get richer, poor stays poor" situation that should be avoided.

Only peasants can't get into b10-12

ohoho poor people.

Ratazana
Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 AM
The last 3 EQ's we've lost 2-3 minutes due to lagging out, thus losing the 3rd run every time....

That really sucks! Is there anything you could have done to shave 2-3 mins from those runs?

stroodle
Mar 17, 2014, 11:10 AM
I can vouch for my jp team members that lag was terrible for them as well.
One said she didn't even want to go due to the high chance of being dc'd, and unfortunately, her and one other member got dc'd. Everyone else, including me, was having lag issues.
Still managed 3 runs in b11 but i couldn't multistep consistently at all.

Dnd
Oh yeah, probably should've pointed that out. In my experiences with blocks B10/11/12(sometimes) I always had top-notch TD runs. And since everyone is camping out B10, it surely means something, I'm sure you've noticed and I didn't mention in the OP because I thought it was a general consensus.

Not really, I've had good runs (3x s-rank, assuming lag doesn't screw it over) in every block, from 10-19 and 21-24 with randoms. A 'good' player as you so put it mixing in with 'bad' players is more likely to boost the MPA and the 'bad' players wont learn a thing. I'm pretty sure if everyone 'bad' learnt from 'good' people then everyone would be running s-rank TD's 3 runs by now surely?

How do you define bad/good anyway? Sheer dps? Skill?

Sayara
Live in Japan and kill 600 American players

Shinamori
Mar 17, 2014, 11:12 AM
As I mentioned, with other games I have no issues. My connection is rock-solid, but surely because it's so far away, it affects my ping, no doubt. But the influx of players is the cause, otherwise I play just fine.

Yeah, well I usually log in hours before TD. I personally run as Br/Ra Gu/Ra or Ra/Hu to insure we have a WB or a Wber that actually uses WB...

Edson Drake
Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM
Only peasants can't get into b10-12

ohoho poor people.

Hey you! You're no Arks!

Not really, I've had good runs (3x s-rank, assuming lag doesn't screw it over) in every block, from 10-19 and 21-24 with randoms. A 'good' player as you so put it mixing in with 'bad' players is more likely to boost the MPA and the 'bad' players wont learn a thing. I'm pretty sure if everyone 'bad' learnt from 'good' people then everyone would be running s-rank TD's 3 runs by now surely?

How do you define bad/good anyway? Sheer dps? Skill?

Yeah, me too, it just varies wildly after block B13. I had consistent good runs in B10~12, enough to matter.

A good player is a mix of good equipment, skill(this is a bit touchy to explain) and DPS too. I love to play Forces and Rangers, but I realize they're in a pretty bad spot right now, especially for TD, so I don't bring any. But I also can understand a good player bringing by accident his Force when logging at the wrong time too. The bad player has been covered to exhaustion already in so many topics, I'll just leave it there.

Yeah, well I usually log in hours before TD. I personally run as Br/Ra Gu/Ra or Ra/Hu to insure we have a WB or a Wber that actually uses WB...

You see, you and dozens are doing this, making hard to get a decent block, but hey, I'm not telling it's your fault, you're just going by the system. I would too if I could, but it's a terrible system that we all know Sega won't fix, so a time-out would be an easy band-aid fix.

Also, how many of you wanted to play with a friend that was in another block and couldn't because you were securing a spot? And Vice-versa? A damn shame.

Dnd
Mar 17, 2014, 11:33 AM
That really sucks! Is there anything you could have done to shave 2-3 mins from those runs?

Not really, 12-13 mins per TD run is pretty quick as it is for randoms, given the 3 minutes you waste between waves and looting.. that's very quick imo, well, until lag stops things lol.

Z-0
Mar 17, 2014, 12:03 PM
Fastest way to improve your times is to learn how to kill at the spawn point effectively. You can easily do it solo if you're a Braver (waves 1-3).

DJcooltrainer
Mar 17, 2014, 12:19 PM
Fastest way to improve your times is to learn how to kill at the spawn point effectively. You can easily do it solo if you're a Braver (waves 1-3).

It can go both ways. If you can clear them out quickly, go for it. I've seen some people keeping the mobs up north, slowing everyone else down. Don't attempt to clear at spawns if you can't do it quickly.

And as far as the recent lag goes, it's not just affecting foreign players. A few of the Japanese people I play with have also been complaining. (One of them seems to d/c a lot randomly, and I've never d/c'd before)

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah, killing everything as soon as it appears is totally viable.

The issue is when one shitty braver using an agito +3 tries to do this and doesn't send anyone a memo about it.

Chdata
Mar 17, 2014, 12:55 PM
More servers, no shit Sherlock! Yeah I know, unlikely, but this could help, not fix it.

Time-outs. I believe this is the solution, having time-outs triggered by inputs, meaning that if you do not press anything in, say, 15 minutes, you are automatically disconnected.

Tired of logging on for TD only to find out you are 3 hours late for a good block? This would get you a nice spot. It would also mean better players would have to mix with bad players, making the runs more balanced, instead of "OMG hurry to get our 5th run!" and "Goddamnit folks we're on the verge of losing a second tower!" we have right now.

It's a simple solution, I wonder how the Japanese haven't complained about this yet, because even with Premium, you need to secure a spot very early on and even then you can get DC'd and screwed anyways.

(also slightly annoyed because I can't connect to B10 in months.)

More servers won't change what happens on existing servers already at all. More blocks will only mean more empty blocks while the same 5-8 blocks get filled every TD.

Time-out kick to room would be neat.

Make premium players fill premium slots before normal slots. Solved. Also wtf. Why would you want it balanced towards not getting runs.

Btw, I've never gotten DC'd from PSO2 due to my or the server's connection. Even during spike times. The servers are not that bad. Your internet service is. Buy a better one.

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2014, 12:56 PM
Separating MPAs from lobbies would solve basically everything.

But what do I know.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 17, 2014, 01:22 PM

[spoiler-box]http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/pictures/10000/nahled/1-1232907563I7wo.jpg[/spoiler-box]

But what do I know.

I like this idea.

ShinMaruku
Mar 17, 2014, 01:40 PM
don't blame the players for the shitty servers
like seriously
how do you get to that point even

I can blame them for thinking shitty servers are accessible because they must get their next hit of dopeamine. :P jk

I think this is getting to anther point that EQas alone driving player traffic is becoming a problem the time before EQs need to have something to do so not so much people feel pressured into doing it. (Don't give me the they don't have to do it people are not rational actors)

But here is where we are and maybe Sega will fix that when it burns them.

Atmius
Mar 17, 2014, 01:42 PM
A good player is a mix of good equipment, skill(this is a bit touchy to explain) and DPS too. I love to play Forces and Rangers, but I realize they're in a pretty bad spot right now, especially for TD, so I don't bring any. But I also can understand a good player bringing by accident his Force when logging at the wrong time too. The bad player has been covered to exhaustion already in so many topics, I'll just leave it there.

While kind of true, a single (competent) fo/te, or te/ra can significantly speed up your run, particularly towards the later waves. Wave 4 is usually the biggest time saver with this, and even with a kind of bad group you can usually still shave off enough time from that alone to pull you into 3 runs.

Biggest problem waves for 3 runs I find is wave 1, wave 4, and wave 6. Wave 1 generally has too many people (or almost nobody at all like in a recent run I had, wtf?) go mid, leaving blue and/or green completely deserted, which causes problems when the el ahda's actually spawn there. Wave 4 is wave 4, if nobody tries to be an incompetent northern hero (extremely competent ones are fine), a fo/te/ra will almost certainly make this a very quick wave.

Wave 6 is the one where you get problems of either everybody going after bibras (or worse, crystals) and ignoring towers, or everybody ignoring bibras and the one guy who's done 3/4+ of his health in damage him doesn't even get the points for the eventual kill because of how the scoring system works. if all enemies are dead, it can be a point to ask people to fight bibras, and have the fo/te (if /ra, bibras is probably already dead by this point) sit at the tower where the remaining enemy spawn will come from ready for a zondeel.

If you get too many fo/te, and they keep interfering with each other things can go sour, but it usually doesn't happen. Also, in regards to the lag spikes during TD, the biggest spikes occur when the majority of players finish their first and second runs, so if you're still going at that point, that's in part everybody loading up new instances of TD.

ShinMaruku
Mar 17, 2014, 01:49 PM
And asking for more servers is nice to think about until you find out how getting a new server for a uptick that will wind down is not cost effective and is often pointless. It needs a mufti-pronged answer to help calm down these issues. More varied ways to get better drops (Maybe a quest line where you can get x- item by running it through, better drop rates tied to that more things for certain builds that where you have more people going different places and less just going into one place.

Then they can make a modest server change that is more sustainable. The game will get streaky with population making buying more servers pointless. A better net code would be better much less stacking on EQs would also work.

Dnd
Mar 17, 2014, 02:16 PM

You can easily do it as a Fi/Hu with twin kamui aswell, just fyi. that PP slayer latent is absolutely retarded and I can push out 60-70k damage in under 3 seconds to any weak-spot that gets hit, killing bomb-bugs in 5-6 seconds.

I always fight north on waves 1-3, then pull back to towers for 4-6, because its the most effective use of my dps, flattening everything before it becomes an issue.

Why people hate or don't say Fighter dps can be huge, ill never know lol...

Triple_S
Mar 17, 2014, 03:13 PM
Make premium players fill premium slots before normal slots.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this makes far more sense.

Chdata
Mar 17, 2014, 03:45 PM
Giga's idea is also really good.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 17, 2014, 03:51 PM
Why people hate or don't say Fighter dps can be huge, ill never know lol...

Because not braver, or gunner, and damage is more conditional.

That's the reason, I kid you not

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2014, 03:56 PM
Because not braver, or gunner, and damage is more conditional.

That's the reason, I kid you not

That's the gist of it yeah.

Fi/Hu dps can be enormous

But bravers and gunners can literally go afk while killing things and come back with more kills without dying

I do it all the time /hairflip

Edson Drake
Mar 17, 2014, 03:58 PM
More servers won't change what happens on existing servers already at all. More blocks will only mean more empty blocks while the same 5-8 blocks get filled every TD.

Time-out kick to room would be neat.

Make premium players fill premium slots before normal slots. Solved. Also wtf. Why would you want it balanced towards not getting runs.

Btw, I've never gotten DC'd from PSO2 due to my or the server's connection. Even during spike times. The servers are not that bad. Your internet service is. Buy a better one.

In case you missed me mentioning twice: my connection is rock-solid, it only craps-out in PSO2. And nice reference there, don't have bread? Let them eat cakes!

But what do I know.

That could work. But I avoided mentioning anything that could potentially change the way the servers work. we all know the game would need BIG changes to fix a lot of stuff not only connection issues.

My ideas involve simple stuff, an expensive one, buying more servers that are linked to especific blocks, in this case the SH blocks.

And for the people that said that the quantity of servers is fine, I don't know if you were joking, but did you even take a look at the server load at the blocks earlier today at the TD? All of the SH blocks were full and ship status was "Busy".

The other one, the time-out, is much simpler and could work out even better, by not having people camping around and in the end not having the player skill gap we have now.

Chdata
Mar 17, 2014, 04:11 PM
Erm, you've been saying your connection has been terrible in a JP hosted game when they're on high load.

I don't see how your connection to games with actual English servers translates.

strikerhunter
Mar 17, 2014, 05:48 PM
Huh, normally in TD I get a 15sec lag spike at around 12-15min into TD which is around the time when a but load of crystals are being broken. But that's about the only lag I get since I only get a handful of DCs when it isn't JP Prime Time <_<.

Gig's idea works pretty much well: Turn Free expo/EQs/or any popular mission that requires a x/12 MPA that's not an ARKs quest into their own individual server.

It can work but we all know Sega won't because of the potential amount of money going to be wasted when they can just do whatever they do to increase server performance which is nothing btw.

Zipzo
Mar 17, 2014, 06:53 PM
I play from Japan and I still see weird lag issues occasionally during loaded EQs but that's not strange to me, no matter where you live or where the game you play is from, I think lag is possible with high server load because that's just how servers/networks/connections work. Surely distance from the server can have an impact on things like your ping but for the most part the only sure fire way to fix the issue is for the server owners to make their own tweaks to server stability.

People have had server crashing parties in World of Warcraft so many times by loading huge amounts of characters in to one zone or other sorts of things since the game released, and lord knows Blizzard probably has some of the best MMO servers in the world, they surely have the finances.

One thing to note is that it's highly unlikely they will increase server count, because right now they are at a sweet spot where there is high benefit to purchasing premium, allowing you to get in to the the right blocks (on the crowded servers). Obviously this is what they want.

ShinMaruku
Mar 18, 2014, 12:59 AM
Also keep in mind getting servers from companies is a pain for such a short term answer as well. So you play what you are given.

TaigaUC
Mar 18, 2014, 05:19 AM
Strange OP post.

1. The game is designed to encourage tons of people log on for events, blame SEGA for bad design (and server stability).

2. Lag during TD is often caused by the loot gem, which is also bad design, especially when coupled with Biblas' bomb that often happens at the same time.

3. You shouldn't really be playing lengthy online games with an unstable connection. Try to fix it.

4. I do agree they should do something about idling people. The game takes longer to zone in when it has to load so many different people's models.
Idle people should trigger a flag that renders their character invisible or loads the dummy model instead.
Or automatically moves them to an empty block if they idle for the entire 15 minutes preparation before events begin.
Or perhaps prompt players asking them to sign up for the event ahead of time. Those who do not sign up to participate are automatically moved to a less populated block.

There are lots of ways they could remedy block overpopulation problems.
But they're not going to, because they want you to pay money for premium block space.
Still won't fix the lag though.

Saffran
Mar 18, 2014, 07:26 AM
Wtf? People are still bothering to run TD?

(it had to be said...)

otaku998
Mar 18, 2014, 07:35 AM
I still run for lazy excube cuz i can't be bothered to run anything else

milranduil
Mar 18, 2014, 08:28 AM
Wtf? People are still bothering to run TD?

(it had to be said...)

Still the most efficient source of cubes (most per time spent).

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2014, 08:46 AM
Still the most efficient source of cubes (most per time spent).

This is why I popped back into TD runs.

It yields a fantastic amount of exp for an alt you're not running SHAQs on, plus you virtually always break even or see a gain on 250%s spent.

edit: Also, the chance for 11*s is notably better right now; I grabbed a light kamui and fire xerx one night and the following morning.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2014, 08:54 AM
One thing to note is that it's highly unlikely they will increase server count, because right now they are at a sweet spot where there is high benefit to purchasing premium, allowing you to get in to the the right blocks (on the crowded servers). Obviously this is what they want.
That doesn't even help since the premium space fills up instantly as well.

The last relevant block is usually 100%/100% with the one directly under it at 10%.

Only time premium actually works for this purpose is if someone leaves and you snipe their spot before anyone else, but I've done that as a free player anyway.

Edson Drake
Mar 18, 2014, 10:26 AM
Strange OP post.

1. The game is designed to encourage tons of people log on for events, blame SEGA for bad design (and server stability).

2. Lag during TD is often caused by the loot gem, which is also bad design, especially when coupled with Biblas' bomb that often happens at the same time.

3. You shouldn't really be playing lengthy online games with an unstable connection. Try to fix it.

4. I do agree they should do something about idling people. The game takes longer to zone in when it has to load so many different people's models.
Idle people should trigger a flag that renders their character invisible or loads the dummy model instead.
Or automatically moves them to an empty block if they idle for the entire 15 minutes preparation before events begin.
Or perhaps prompt players asking them to sign up for the event ahead of time. Those who do not sign up to participate are automatically moved to a less populated block.

There are lots of ways they could remedy block overpopulation problems.
But they're not going to, because they want you to pay money for premium block space.
Still won't fix the lag though.

Strange?

In case you missed me mentioning twice: my connection is rock-solid, it only craps-out in PSO2.

And also this, since no one seemed to notice(or just plain ignored it):

I can vouch for my jp team members that lag was terrible for them as well.
One said she didn't even want to go due to the high chance of being dc'd, and unfortunately, her and one other member got dc'd. Everyone else, including me, was having lag issues.
Still managed 3 runs in b11 but i couldn't multistep consistently at all.

I am not the only one complaining about this, even the Japanese are getting DC'd and Premium users no less, since the game doesn't discriminate who gets DC'd or not(obviously).

I expect to have lag, since the servers are in Japan, but when everyone is having random disconnects and excessive lags, something should be done. Also I find interesting that for some users the mentality is "what? 90% of the users are having issues? I don't have any issues, therefore there's no issue, it must be your connection". C'mon people.

I do understand that the model Sega's adopted makes you desire Premium so that you get into the full blocks. But as the blocks get full, the lags begin to drag the gameplay down, and in important EQs like TD it's really bad.
Which means, even if you pay, the gameplay still will be worse, than if you get into a lowly populated block, which is a no-no for an EQ.

Yes the Japanese get it a little better since they're close, but it is still bad for some as I've been hearing(see above quote), which is unacceptable.

That's what I'm talking about here, what is the point of even getting into a crowded block if the gameplay is only going to get worse? What is the point of paying for that privilege?

The time-out solution, makes that the blocks won't get crowded hours before an EQ, and they will get filled up evenly as people connect to the game for the EQ, and it's a simple fix.

More servers would further alleviate the issue, but we all know that's not happening anytime soon.

deahamlet
Mar 18, 2014, 10:43 AM
1. sega doesn't give a shit about this website, not exactly the best place for suggestions.
2. This game has better ways of lag mitigation than many alternatives. At least in this game I don't unlag to find myself dead or see insane list of damage numbers scrolling over my dead head for minutes. The mobs may be dead already if everyone else is not lagging. Only bad side is you get kicked out of quest and block if you DC but cannot compare to the instance heavy games on this as maps maybe not be open world cause 12 man cap but they are not like instanced dungeons with fixed monster locations and maps.
3. 10-12 are 90% shit runs as they get camped by the people wanted xp the most. During the morning (aka jp high time, morning PST) mid-blocks are ideal, but last few blocks almost always score three runs if not lagging for 5 mins. Had an instance of whole mpa frozen for five minutes... Then Sega did emergency maintenance. Point is, I don't know why you think not getting into 10-12 is keeping you from anything.
4. Whenever I came last minute I still got into a block. My connection went stupid over night and I got into a full block 22 four minutes before tower defense. When unannounced events happen the 10% block is usually full two minutes into event.
5.loot lag is bad, shop lag is even more annoying... But dc-ing mid tower defense I've only had once and was my Internet being dead for an hour and nothing on Sega. If I camp overnight once a month I DC, but I'm convinced most times it's my Internet. I don't know what's with your pc or Internet that you DC mid event.

I pay for premium and not one bit surprised a f2p tries to encourage people to pay lol.