PDA

View Full Version : Weird lag/stutter issues.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 17, 2014, 03:39 PM
After 12 days of waiting for my internet to get transferred to my new home I long in only to find that my game runs very laggy/stutter.

My game used to run very smooth before I moved out to a new home. This issues is very annoying and I can't seem to get it fixed.

Is it my ISP's fault maybe the new modem they got me? Its funny too cuz I upgraded my internet to a 30 megs per sec from 15 and now pso2 seems broken.

The hardest lag/stutter happens when im in the lobby or in a EQ. When I move my character around I feel a ton of stuttering. Also, when people switch weapons I get lag aswell even when an npc chat cut in happens. Pretty much anything that requires loading. For example I noticed my loading screen is longer and stops/stutters now.

None of this used to happen 2 weeks ago with a weaker internet connection.

I updated my NVidia drivers to the newest ones but that didn't help at all.

I also tone down my graphics settings to 1 and this didn't fix anything at all. Even with my game at the lowest settings still has this issue.

I don't know what else to do so I hope I can get some helpful tips here ^^;

Anyway's, my PC's specs are Core i7 4770k, 16 gigs of ram, and a GTX 680.

btw-Niji
Mar 17, 2014, 04:22 PM
Can you show us an example? Record it maybe?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "stuttering". Like, is your FPS dropping by a huge amount or does it feel like the graphics are skipping but the frame rate isn't actually dropping? (none of this would be network related)

12 days ago, the game was perfectly fine? Did you make any changes to your PC in that timespan?

The only time I get stuttering FPS is in that white day EQ (Weapon switch, NPC cut in, etc). Honestly, there is seriously something wrong with that quest because I'm not the only person.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 17, 2014, 05:32 PM
Yes that's correct, my game used to run perfectly fine. If anything I would get a lil lag during peak EQ times in the lobby but nothing major.

I knew something was wrong when the loading "tunel had weird "slowdown/stutter" in it. Making the loading take longer.

I haven't switch any settings on my PC aside from updating the NVidia drivers. I did install some old games since I was bored and had nothing to play without internet.

Those games are COD4 and Quake 4 =P I highly doubt they are the reason pso2 is performing badly.

I also ran the benchmark ver 2.0 and my score is 34914 which is perfectly playable.

But as I mention before even when I tone down the resolution to the lowest setting (640/480) and turn every possible setting off or lowest it can go the same problem persist :(

For what its worth ive tested other games like Tomb Raider on ultra settings and they run perfectly fine.

I have pso2 installed on my 250 Samsung EVO SSD so I will try installing it on my normal HDD see if that fixes it. If That doesn't work I will try to get you a video of the problem.

Remz69
Mar 17, 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes that's correct, my game used to run perfectly fine. If anything I would get a lil lag during peak EQ times in the lobby but nothing major.

I knew something was wrong when the loading "tunel had weird "slowdown/stutter" in it. Making the loading take longer.

I haven't switch any settings on my PC aside from updating the NVidia drivers. I did install some old games since I was bored and had nothing to play without internet.

Those games are COD4 and Quake 4 =P I highly doubt they are the reason pso2 is performing badly.

I also ran the benchmark ver 2.0 and my score is 34914 which is perfectly playable.

But as I mention before even when I tone down the resolution to the lowest setting (640/480) and turn every possible setting off or lowest it can go the same problem persist :(

For what its worth ive tested other games like Tomb Raider on ultra settings and they run perfectly fine.

I have pso2 installed on my 250 Samsung EVO SSD so I will try installing it on my normal HDD see if that fixes it. If That doesn't work I will try to get you a video of the problem.

i'm no expert ... at all and i may sound stupid

but did you try checking your install/files, there's been an update after all

and maybe forcing... what is it ? i don't remember, i think it's Vsync or triple buffering, something like that, that could help, maybe, though it would be circumventing the issue by overpowering it.

sorry i can't help

LordKaiser
Mar 17, 2014, 07:29 PM
I had a similar issue resently but in my case it was my video card over-heating 105c. I'm currently searching for a fan replacement.

Check you card temperature.

Edson Drake
Mar 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
With your config, you should be able to run it maxed without any stutter. As silly as it sounds, are you running it in Fullscreen or Virtual Fullscreen? If it's one, change to the other.

It was a whole different world for me, which in my case, Fullscreen was much slower.

Sizustar
Mar 17, 2014, 10:10 PM
Go to speedtest.net to check to see if your internet speed is as advertised
http://www.speedtest.net/

Then run the game at the lowest graphic setting, or with a tool like MSI Afterburner to take note of the temp of your GPU, and see how high it gets.

Try other game, is it only PSO2 or is it the same with other game?

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 17, 2014, 11:58 PM
Speed test shows the correct speeds I get 33 mb download and 5 mb upload.

Afterburner shows my temp at 73c which is perfectly fine.

and yes pso2 is the only game that has this problem.

What boggles my mind is the fact that I get all this stutter or whatever it is even on the games lowest possible resolution and settings >.<

I played Tomb Raider on ultra settings for like 5 hours straight yesterday perfectly fine which has way better graphics than pso2 not one glitch or slowdown/choppiness.

My pso2 feels very sluggish/choppy I think that's the best way to describe this issue. Lowering my settings makes no difference.

I used to play this game great 2 weeks ago. I mean not even the nikishi dagger dash affected me. Now as soon as someone switches weapons (any weapon) I get a stutter/choppy/lag whatever you wanna call it feeling.

Another thing to make note of is that when I first load into a lobby (any lobby) my character will be fully loaded but I wont be able to move for a couple seconds im like "frozen" then when I do move its very choppy and sluggish.

Im having a very hard time believing that my 4770K and GTX 680 can't handle this game even at low settings.

earlier today I did a mine defence EQ and it was terrible. choppiness all over the place. I used to play this quest at 60 FPS with not one hiccup.

The reason im blaming my isp is because that's really the only thing that has changed everything else is the same.

I did download a few Microsoft updates as soon as I got my new internet since my pc was asking for them and I like to keep it fully updated. Maybe these updates broke my pso2?

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2014, 01:14 AM
Where is this happening? I remembered why it seems so familiar. There has been issues with the monitors in the lobby where the videos are downloaded after logging in, even if you have them off. It usually has minimal effect on latency but it makes the game REALLY choppy for some reason. How long has this been happening?

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 18, 2014, 01:22 AM
It has been happening since I got back online. So for the past 3 days or so.

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2014, 01:23 AM
It has been happening since I got back online. So for the past 3 days or so.How long do you stay on at a time, it's possible the videos are still downloading because we all know how long downloading stuff from sega's servers. It could be something else but that was the first thing I thought of. The only suggestion I could give though is to wait it out.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 18, 2014, 01:37 AM
Well yesterday before I went to bed I left my char dancing in B20 so she was afked for like 8 hours ^^;

I know what you're talking about too. It's def not that.

It feels like a loading problem to me.

I can tell something isn't right with my loading because whenever I load a new map/lobby/my room etc etc the loading "pipe" (that blue pipe you see when the game is loading) is very choppy/stutter. I knew something was wrong when I first loaded up the game when I got my internet back because of this. It took longer and like I said the transition was very choppy. It used to be much smoother and faster.

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2014, 02:33 AM
You could try doing a file check, though I dunno if that'll help. I'm out of ideas for now

Inazuma
Mar 18, 2014, 02:58 AM
This could not be related to your problem but I recently had an issue where my game was very jerky. It would be smooth one second and then pause slightly the next, then smooth again, etc.

Turns out I had installed Windows updates and needed to restart the PC. After resetting, the game ran like normal again.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 31, 2014, 03:29 AM
Well, I went to drastic measures and reinstalled windows 7 home premium 64bit (I formatted) and that still didn't solve the problem.

I even tested my PC for stability with prime 95 and real bench 2.1 it's rock solid no errors.

I've also played many games this weekend for hours such as Tomb Raider, COD BO2, RE6 and even tested old games like Return to castle wolfenstien (YUP!) all ran perfectly fine at 60 FPS.

This makes me very sad. My pso2 seems to be broken now.

How the hell can my PC run Tomb raider on ultra settings at 60 FPS which looks stupidly better when it comes to graphics yet pso2 has tons of hiccups even on low settings.

Something is not right here. But I can safely say that it's not my hardware.

My PC's full specs are 4770K, GTX 680, 16gb crucial ballistic sport XT ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb ssd, 2TB Seagate HDD, Corsair tx850 PSU and Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler.

Now you understand why this is so frustrating? Its a 1400$ PC that can't play pso2 without a bunch of hiccups all over the place even when the game looks like a PSX game.

TAing is a nightmare now. Especially when I TA with good players in B27. Because they quad dash switching weapons and everytime someone does a weapon switch I get a hiccup/slowdown/lag/stutter/whatever the hell you wanna call it. It's not just during a weapon switch when a player loads into the map you guess it I get the same hiccup, if an NPC talks and the little chat bubble comes up same thing. The lobby is the same tons of hiccups when characters are loading keep in mind that this happens on maxed and low settings.

I even plugged my PC in a different power outlet thinking "hey maybe my power plug doesn't work properly and my pc isn't getting the juice it needs) nope didn't help at all.

Anyway's sorry for the long rant, I just simply ran out of ideas to trouble shoot. My only guess now is that there must be a setting or something on my pc that's not getting along with pso2 and in return it's causing all the performance issues for me.

Atmius
Mar 31, 2014, 03:54 AM
TAing is a nightmare now. Especially when I TA with good players in B27. Because they quad dash switching weapons and everytime someone does a weapon switch I get a hiccup/slowdown/lag/stutter/whatever the hell you wanna call it. It's not just during a weapon switch when a player loads into the map you guess it I get the same hiccup, if an NPC talks and the little chat bubble comes up same thing. The lobby is the same tons of hiccups when characters are loading keep in mind that this happens on maxed and low settings.

As far as that switch issue is concerned, playing on a higher fps cap (120 or unlimited) both helps with weapon switch lag and loading times. I generally change to TA settings (1280x720 windowed, unlimited fps) when I want to TA, as who needs 500fps in the lobby when you're idle?

Changing how many models to render may or may not assist your problems, since many people idle in the lobby and the draw distance isn't exactly the best, leading to frequent stutters when a few models are dropped from memory and new ones rendered in their stead.

Sizustar
Mar 31, 2014, 04:13 AM
Try Speedtest, and connect ot the Tokyo Server.

It could be the problem with APCN2 that has affected alot of people, and the agency origionally think they can fix the cable on 3/31, now it's 4/4 or 4/7.

Rev+
Mar 31, 2014, 04:23 AM
Well, I went to drastic measures and reinstalled windows 7 home premium 64bit (I formatted) and that still didn't solve the problem.

I even tested my PC for stability with prime 95 and real bench 2.1 it's rock solid no errors.

I've also played many games this weekend for hours such as Tomb Raider, COD BO2, RE6 and even tested old games like Return to castle wolfenstien (YUP!) all ran perfectly fine at 60 FPS.

This makes me very sad. My pso2 seems to be broken now.

How the hell can my PC run Tomb raider on ultra settings at 60 FPS which looks stupidly better when it comes to graphics yet pso2 has tons of hiccups even on low settings.

Something is not right here. But I can safely say that it's not my hardware.

My PC's full specs are 4770K, GTX 680, 16gb crucial ballistic sport XT ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb ssd, 2TB Seagate HDD, Corsair tx850 PSU and Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler.

Now you understand why this is so frustrating? Its a 1400$ PC that can't play pso2 without a bunch of hiccups all over the place even when the game looks like a PSX game.

I even plugged my PC in a different power outlet thinking "hey maybe my power plug doesn't work properly and my pc isn't getting the juice it needs) nope didn't help at all.

Anyway's sorry for the long rant, I just simply ran out of ideas to trouble shoot. My only guess now is that there must be a setting or something on my pc that's not getting along with pso2 and in return it's causing all the performance issues for me.
Put the frame limit to 120fps and max graphical settings. If that lags then ur poor.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 31, 2014, 04:56 AM
Cool I will test these things out ^^

Sizustar, how do I connect to the Tokyo server? Sorry if this is a noobish question.

NexusAZ
Mar 31, 2014, 05:07 AM
I'm actually having the exact same issue at the moment. Pretty much anything gives me a little hiccup. I'm leveling Braver at the moment and it's upsetting that I miss the optimal charge release because of it. It gets annoying fast. >.<

I really hope it is just an issue involving APCN2 as Sizu mentioned and it gets resolved soon. Kinda nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Sizustar
Mar 31, 2014, 05:57 AM
Cool I will test these things out ^^

Sizustar, how do I connect to the Tokyo server? Sorry if this is a noobish question.

Instead of just choosing speedtest, Zoom out, and move the map toward Tokyo and click on the tokyo server.

Arada
Mar 31, 2014, 06:07 AM
I got the issue where the game would stutter after the last update.

I used the tweaker and troubleshoot it with "Search for old/missing files".
After I restarted PSO2, it was still stuttering. Through the options menu, I deactivated the videos in the lobby.

I redid the operation (search old/missing files) and the 3rd time I started PSO2, it was working normally for me.
I saw the tweaker redownload the .exe files of PSO2 each time.

I have no idea what was making the game stutter but hopefully, it'll fix your issues.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Mar 31, 2014, 03:10 PM
Sizu, my speed test for Tokyo is 23.79 for download and 4.79 for uploads. That looks ok right?

I tried settings my max FPS to unlimited and I also removed vsync from the NVidia control panel.

I was running the game at like 200+ FPS but I was still getting the same stutter/hiccup during weapon switching and lobby character loading.

The best way to describe this issue is like this. Just imagine the nikishi dagger hiccup, but with any weapon switch/loading characters in the lobby/NPC's show up and talk in a quest etc etc.

Jei182
Apr 1, 2014, 12:28 PM
Something similar has been happening to me since the last patch update. I have no idea what it could be but I'm thinking that it may be an issue server-side rather than client in my case. Whenever I do get lagged behind and have these issues and disconnect when I return I'm usually fine until the next time people start fighting invisible enemies or it takes Koffie like 10 seconds after I click on her to speak. NPCs at least were reliable for me until last week's maintenance.

Husq
Apr 1, 2014, 01:19 PM
What type of internet connection are you using (dsl, cable, fttc, aso)? Internet speed has nothing to do with latency, so having a higher download and upload speed, doesn't mean it is necessary an upgrade, in terms of online gaming and realtime interaction things like skype aso.
Try traceroute to the ship IP you play on and see how many hops and time is need to contact the IP

pkemr4
Apr 1, 2014, 02:13 PM
if your ingame videos are blank then pso2 is downloading the videos for them and for some dumb reason your cpu has suffer because of it

Jei182
Apr 1, 2014, 02:57 PM
What type of internet connection are you using (dsl, cable, fttc, aso)? Internet speed has nothing to do with latency, so having a higher download and upload speed, doesn't mean it is necessary an upgrade, in terms of online gaming and realtime interaction things like skype aso.
Try traceroute to the ship IP you play on and see how many hops and time is need to contact the IP

I'm using cable here, so I'm guessing for some reason (I am in Michigan) it's taking more hops to get to UR which may be causing the disconnects/slow player loads and response times. It's why I think this issue may be server-side or IP related because it was never this bad before other than the slow loading at the start of some groups which I know is my computer.

Sylphia
Apr 1, 2014, 06:42 PM
If your new isp is going through the damaged backbone to Japan, you just have to tough it out till they fix the network problem.

But have you gone through all your services and disabled all the lag inducing ones like indexing since you did your reinstall?

UMVC3_Wolverine
Apr 1, 2014, 06:43 PM
If your new isp is going through the damaged backbone to Japan, you just have to tough it out till they fix the network problem.

But have you gone through all your services and disabled all the lag inducing ones like indexing since you did your reinstall?

How do I go on about this?

Sylphia
Apr 1, 2014, 10:01 PM
You mean turning off unwanted services in win7?

Foremost I'd say is to go to each hdd you have in 'mycomputer', right click, properties, then uncheck 'allow filess on this drive to have contents indexed'. Indexing is always a bad thing.

You can also right click on my computer (you hopefully have that link on your desktop) and go to manage, then 'services'. Click the status column to see what's started, find "windows search" and set it to 'disabled', then click "Stop". This; however, will shut down search on your computer. So doing it drive by drive stops the on the fly updating but still allows 'slower' searches for files.

You can also go into control panel, performance info and tools, adjust indexing options, and uncheck everything you can.

Other things I have disabled in services are
Bluetooth
home group listener/provider
internet connection manager
net.msmq
net.pipe listener
net.tcp listener/port sharing
offline files
peer networking
routing/remote acces
superfetch
encrypted file system
windows update (I update manually and will turn this on if needed)

Tons of items are set to manual, so they don't start unless something needs them. And I never let anything autoupdate, or background update if I can find a way to shut that 'feature' off in a program. AV is also used on demand.

The problem with win7 I have is that many services now, unlike xp/nt/2000, are very intertwined. So disabling something you've disabled in the past, can also turn off your sound... go figure. So if you're unsure of what you're turning off, turn it off one item at a time, and remember what it was, and check that things still run like you expect them to.

Another thing you can do is to right click my computer, go to properties, then select "Advanced System Settings".

From here, click the advanced tab, and under performance, click settings.
For "Visual Effects", turn off things you don't need to save on video load.
Under "Advanced" , choose virtual memory, and change it. I still need to find out if "programs' vs 'background services' opens more thread handling with 'background services' or not. In prior versions it was always the better choice.. But on to your virtual memory:
Several opinions on this, but imho letting windows manage it, is always having the size of the files adjusted dynamically. From what I'd read, win7 likes a page file on it's system drive. So I have a basic 'more than phsical memory size" swap file on the c drive with the OS, this is a custom size, it doesn't change. Then on a second drive, different from the OS, I have a 2x size permanent swap file of 64GB. If you don't have multiple drives, and just partitions on one phsyical drive, then just make 1 2x phsyical ram size static swap file. You may want to toss in room for the size of your video card ram too. So ram+video ram x 2 should do it. And depending on how cluttered your drive is, you'd want to defrag with file reorder first.

System Protection and running system restore with the accompanying task scheduler is up to you, but I always have this off.

While in System Properties, you can also click on "Environment Variables", and change the location of your temp folder(s) to somewhere easily accessable so you can delete trash files easier. I have C:\tmp for system files and C:\temp for user program files.

my i4770k gtx780 and 32GB of ram and win7-64 was a dog till I did all this.

Sizustar
Apr 1, 2014, 11:52 PM
Bad news for those waiting for the fix on APCN2~
The fix date has been delayed to indefinite

Sylphia
Apr 2, 2014, 12:19 AM
Where'd you hear that? I just checked a blog in ... over there somewhere, and it seems the really crummy internet is localized around shanghai. And the system is routing traffic through US backbones, so that could be the cause of your problems perhaps.

One other thing I just remembered, Is your kit or memory specifically, overclocked at all? I had bumped my memory to 2133 cause I could.... and everything but pso2 worked fine, but I had quite alot of crashes in pso2 and a actual dyed in the wool bsod in win7 lol. Took the mem back to 1600 and it's been smooth ever since (course now that I think about it, I do seem to be lagging more than before since I'm being beaten to crystals in TD lately).

Sizustar
Apr 2, 2014, 12:22 AM
Where'd you hear that? I just checked a blog in ... over there somewhere, and it seems the really crummy internet is localized around shanghai. And the system is routing traffic through US backbones, so that could be the cause of your problems perhaps.

One other thing I just remembered, Is your kit or memory specifically, overclocked at all? I had bumped my memory to 2133 cause I could.... and everything but pso2 worked fine, but I had quite alot of crashes in pso2 and a actual dyed in the wool bsod in win7 lol. Took the mem back to 1600 and it's been smooth ever since (course now that I think about it, I do seem to be lagging more than before since I'm being beaten to crystals in TD lately).

http://www.hinet.net/notifyPage.html?id=144f15a2ef50000027ae&type=0

UMVC3_Wolverine
Apr 8, 2014, 12:04 AM
I finally got this annoying problem sorted out for good it seems ^_^

For the last 4 days or so my internet had been acting up a lot (random disconnects and such) so I called up my isp and they sent out a tech to have a look so the tech switched out my modem for a new one (different brand and modem) and to my surprise all of my lag/choppiness in pso2 is completely gone. Holy shit! Finally. I just finished my TA's and it went smooth as butter also my load time decreased a lot and the loading tube (that blue screen you get when you are loading) has a very smooth transition. Everything is back to normal like before I moved.

No more weapon switching lag or anything not even nikishi lags me.

I knew the problem was the internet/modem from the start I just wasn't 100% sure. Anyway's thanks to everyone who tried to help ^^

Macman
Apr 8, 2014, 01:23 AM
Pretty darn weird that network issues can cause client stutters. Then again this is a Sega, the same people who made a game where using certain controllers would muck up door textures.

The Walrus
Apr 8, 2014, 01:29 AM
Pretty darn weird that network issues can cause client stutters. Then again this is a Sega, the same people who made a game where using certain controllers would muck up door textures.

Seriously?

UMVC3_Wolverine
Apr 8, 2014, 03:38 AM

Ya man ^^;

Honestly, nothing should surprise you at this point now lol ^^

I'm just happy as hell that this annoying problem is gone :)

TaigaUC
Apr 8, 2014, 07:52 AM
When I get stutter and weird lag, I open task manager and kill FlashPlayerPlugin.
Usually fixes the problem. F'n Adobe...

Supposedly the Flash lag is caused by a layer of security they added a while back.
Not sure if that's the actual cause of my problems with it, but whatever.

I was getting some nasty random pauses a few days ago and shutting down Flash didn't fix it.
I shut down a few other things, and noticed PSO2 Tweaker was "crashed" and eating up memory in the background.
Don't know if that's what it was, but after that the problem went away.

pkemr4
Apr 8, 2014, 11:06 AM

SEGA Quality

Macman
Apr 8, 2014, 02:16 PM
Seriously?
Yeah. Using certain gamepads on PSU PC would mess up the door textures at one point in time.