PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to Acquire Oculus VR for $2 Billion

The_Brimada
Mar 25, 2014, 05:40 PM
Please tell me this is an early April Fools Joke. Lol not sure what to think of this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-vr-for-2-billion?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

BIG OLAF
Mar 25, 2014, 05:43 PM
Nope, it's legit.

Doesn't really affect me, since I have no interest in the Oculus Rift. I'm just wondering what the hell Facebook is going to do with it.

The_Brimada
Mar 25, 2014, 05:44 PM
We need that Virtual Farmville and Candy Crush yo.

CelestialBlade
Mar 25, 2014, 05:50 PM
Stop ruining everything, Facebutt.

Polly
Mar 25, 2014, 06:07 PM
Nooooooooooot stoked about this development at all...

.Rusty.
Mar 25, 2014, 06:34 PM
Now you can stalk people on facebook in vr using your facehelmet :wacko:

shagia
Mar 25, 2014, 07:15 PM
to be honest I think people are possibly overreacting about Oculus VR being acquired by Facebook. Though I never was interested into the project in the first place, I don't think the buyout would alter the companies' assets, or at least they would decide NOT to alter Rift. If anything, if this is right then it was a good choice to put themselves on another level of a platform with what they can possibly do with a budget.

It really reminds me of the Yahoo - Tumblr buyout where everyone thought it was the end of the world but months later after the buyout everyone realized that nothing even changed especially after David Karp talked about how it changed nothing.

Uncle_bob
Mar 25, 2014, 08:08 PM
to be honest I think people are possibly overreacting about Oculus VR being acquired by Facebook. Though I never was interested into the project in the first place, I don't think the buyout would alter the companies' assets, or at least they would decide NOT to alter Rift. If anything, if this is right then it was a good choice to put themselves on another level of a platform with what they can possibly do with a budget.

It really reminds me of the Yahoo - Tumblr buyout where everyone thought it was the end of the world but months later after the buyout everyone realized that nothing even changed especially after David Karp talked about how it changed nothing.

Get a load of this guy.

Mike
Mar 25, 2014, 08:21 PM
It really reminds me of the Yahoo - Tumblr buyout where everyone thought it was the end of the world but months later after the buyout everyone realized that nothing even changed especially after David Karp talked about how it changed nothing.[/FONT]

Except they did change the way adult blogs worked on the system and it wasn't until people noticed and started making a fuss that it was changed back. (http://www.zdnet.com/after-backlash-yahoos-tumblr-quietly-restores-adult-nsfw-blogs-7000018342/)

I do wonder what in the world Facebook is going to do with Oculus though. I could see Google picking up a VR company for use in their Glass thing or perhaps as a user interface for their robotics stuff but what does could Facebook use VR goggles for?

Nitro Vordex
Mar 25, 2014, 09:39 PM
Facebook is just going to release updates for the Oculus that nobody fucking wants. Because that's what Facebook does best. 8)

BIG OLAF
Mar 25, 2014, 09:57 PM
Get a load of this guy.

The annoying text he uses or the actual content of the post?

shagia
Mar 25, 2014, 10:43 PM
Except they did change the way adult blogs worked on the system and it wasn't until people noticed and started making a fuss that it was changed back. (http://www.zdnet.com/after-backlash-yahoos-tumblr-quietly-restores-adult-nsfw-blogs-7000018342/)

I do wonder what in the world Facebook is going to do with Oculus though. I could see Google picking up a VR company for use in their Glass thing or perhaps as a user interface for their robotics stuff but what does could Facebook use VR goggles for?

ahh, my apologies, definitely never noticed that happening. (and I'm kinda surprised by that, I use tumblr a LOT, I guess that happened before I even noticed it, lol. gj yahoo)

then again, I rather find it interesting to see what Facebook would do with buying it out. You just never know what happens though, I could be super wrong, lol

The annoying text he uses or the actual content of the post?

http://i.imgur.com/cVUZz3L.png

Inazuma
Mar 25, 2014, 10:54 PM
Terrible news. The Oculus Rift had some potential but this just kills it. Very disappointing. Fuck Facebook.

Mantiskilla
Mar 25, 2014, 11:23 PM

I agree with this. I think gamers who are really up in arms over this are being kinda arrogant with how this was supposed to be for "gaming." Sure it was first marketed that way; however, I'm sure the way they see it (Occulus) its another way to gain help with VR technology (monetary-wise) as a whole and not just being pigeon-holed for one type of platform. Instead they now have resources to try VR in other areas which for the sake of tech moving forward I think that's a good thing.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2014, 12:29 PM
The main reason that people are upset about this is that any successful crowdfunding campaign requires a company to spend social capital: essentially, they use a narrative that they are "one of us" to try and bring this product to market.

Instead, nothing has been commercially released and they just sold the company for $2b. So, y'know... they didn't break any rules but they definitely defied the narrative that so many people had bought into.

I think this probably says just as much about how much people bought into this false narrative as it does about how Oculus just burned a bunch of bridges with their backers.

That being said, I used the Oculus last week and it's pretty great, so hopefully they'll be able to bring a product to retail at some point soon. (So that somebody with more money than me can buy it and let me use it. It's totally not worth $350 at the moment.)

Palle
Mar 26, 2014, 01:09 PM
The main reason that people are upset about this is that any successful crowdfunding campaign requires a company to spend social capital: essentially, they use a narrative that they are "one of us" to try and bring this product to market.

Pretty much. Launch kickstarter, win fans with tech demo, develop platform with crowdfunding, ???, profit, win corporate investment, sell crowdfunded company, ???, profit again.

Totally understandable why backers would be pissed, not the least bit at themselves for falling for these shenanigans.

ShinMaruku
Mar 26, 2014, 01:19 PM
Facebook needs to expand the website is losing luster so they need to expand. Smart acquisition.

Retehi
Mar 26, 2014, 01:45 PM
Wow, now people can thumbs up things IN 3D!!

While on the toilet!!!

Mystil
Apr 20, 2014, 08:47 AM
Now all facebook needs to do is stop changing the damn layouts.

Meyfei
Apr 28, 2014, 10:19 PM
Under a business ideal, Buying the oculus rift and actually managing to market it, means having the FB logo plastered over it, pop ups during use, Facebook logins to "Keep in touch" with your stalkers friends and family while telling them about the games and livestreams they do not care about. as well as advertisements in a corner giving you terminal eye cancer the content you clearly wanted.