PDA

View Full Version : How important is katana combat?

Chunky McMunky
Mar 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
I have been doing a little research as to the different builds of braver and I have noticed quite a few people say that katana combat for melee is a must have. I tried it out but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I mainly use shunka Shunran and katana combat doesn't seem to affect it.

So I'm just wondering if there is something special about it that I am missing?

Chdata
Mar 29, 2014, 06:20 PM
If you get combat escape you'll use it as often as possible because you're completely invincible (nothing clips with you).

Horo The Wise Wolf
Mar 29, 2014, 06:21 PM
1. With Katana Escape you're invincible for 20 sec
2. With Katana JA boost you deal more damage for JAs
3. With on click of the Katana Combat button a second time, you deal AOE damage to a huge area for massive damage.

Yeah, it's important

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2014, 06:22 PM
Katana Combat, like other things, is all about the multipliers. More hits during KC means more damage for Combat Finish, when you use Katana Combat while it's already active (up to 30 hits).

It's also about being invulnerable these days, as Chdata said. It has a lot of utility, plus lots of offensive power.

schnee4
Mar 29, 2014, 06:30 PM
I mainly use shunka Shunran and katana combat doesn't seem to affect it.

hahhahahah shunkka! i am braver op

nathanielzor
Mar 29, 2014, 06:35 PM
20 seconds of un-interupted Shunka'ing. Do you even have to ask? If you didn't notice what all the fuss is about, you obviously didn't get Combat Escape maxed yet.

musicmf
Mar 29, 2014, 06:47 PM
- You get quick mob clearing (Especially useful for Time Attacks) with Kanran (Quick Hitcount for Finish) > Katana Finish.
- You also get +15% damage for 4 full Shunka on Bosses, to decrease fight duration.
- You also get 20 seconds of Lazy-mode for anything else. ("Don't get hit" or "Don't Heal" in extreme quest, Quickly break and incapacitate a boss without care, or dive into a Zondeel Mob without care).

It lets Bravers become stronger, and lazier than they already are.
Besides, what else would you get by saving the points from the Katana Tree? Braver isn't one of the classes where you have to set up many specific skill trees anyway. (Unlike how much you have to put in per elements from the FO/TE trees)

LordKaiser
Mar 29, 2014, 06:49 PM
Also Katana Combat allows you to fly with your Katana so Yes it's very important.

btw-Niji
Mar 29, 2014, 06:52 PM
20 seconds of un-interupted Shunka'ing.
Please, do not spam only Shunka in KC.

It is recommended to use Rindou (bosses with non shitty hitboxes) / Kanran (huge spawns) in most situations to build the hit count for Katana finish's final damage.

btw-Niji
Mar 29, 2014, 06:56 PM
P.S.

if you only spam Shunka on Braver for every situation, please play a different class.

Thank you.

~HuBr master race

nathanielzor
Mar 29, 2014, 07:34 PM
Please, do not spam only Shunka in KC.

It is recommended to use Rindou (bosses with non shitty hitboxes) / Kanran (huge spawns) in most situations to build the hit count for Katana finish's final damage.
Yeah, that's nice and all. But my shunka's do more damage than a measley 30 hit build up Katana Finish and some hatou's. It's also a lot nicer on my PP.

EDIT: Clarification, this is for bosses. If I'm mobbing yeah I'm gonna use kanran and katana finish.

btw-Niji
Mar 29, 2014, 07:42 PM
Rindou will be higher DPS at most bosses-- even more better with WB up. (again, at bosses w/o shit hitboxes.)

Only poor players can't get 150 PP total for their class, anyway.

Chunky McMunky
Mar 29, 2014, 07:42 PM
Wow there seems to be alot of hate on shunka, it does seem a bit op, tho it is a bit poo against flying enemies.

So from what I'm seeing katana combat by itself is a bit meh but with the other skills its amazing. Ok sounds good ill give it a go.

Another question tho, I am not focusing specifically on melee as a braver and I'm going more hybrid, so which stance is more useful average or weak? I doubt I will be able to fill both while still using katana combat.

strikerhunter
Mar 29, 2014, 07:46 PM
Average all the way.

btw-Niji
Mar 29, 2014, 07:47 PM
Not hating on Shunka because it's OP.

Just a lot of idiots think they're contributing/playing like a "pro" by spamming it at every situation, which is extremely inefficient.

You'd be amaze by how much your suck level will decrease by using Rindou and Kanran, too!

SakoHaruo
Mar 29, 2014, 08:21 PM
Katana Combat controls everything - and without it, you cannot slay gate captains as fast as possible.

LordKaiser
Mar 29, 2014, 08:33 PM
Wow there seems to be alot of hate on shunka, it does seem a bit op, tho it is a bit poo against flying enemies.

So from what I'm seeing katana combat by itself is a bit meh but with the other skills its amazing. Ok sounds good ill give it a go.

Another question tho, I am not focusing specifically on melee as a braver and I'm going more hybrid, so which stance is more useful average or weak? I doubt I will be able to fill both while still using katana combat.Average is the most used so far because many monsters have difficult weak spots but on Bosses and huge enemies with huge weak spot, weak stance would be better as it has higher multipliers. I haven't maxed out weak stance yet.

BTW what do you mean by hybrid? Equal Katana & Bow dmg with full Dex(Ability) MAG?

Chunky McMunky
Mar 29, 2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah pretty much equal-ish bow and katana

GALEFORCE
Mar 29, 2014, 09:33 PM

It's not poo against flying enemies. Lock onto them and jump shunka, then hold forward. The vertical slashes will hit all but the highest flying enemies. Locking on actually solves a lot of problems people claim shunka has.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 29, 2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah pretty much equal-ish bow and katana

Yeah about that... not to try to force a playstyle on you, but a katana can cover almost all your needs. Bow is only better for picking off an enemy you can't be bothered to chase/reach (also really good at TA speedrun videos just because spawns are fixed and predictable).

Of course this is assuming you're a br/hu combo of some sort. Fo/br, and ra/br have a few different uses for the bow. Bow is a good weapon, but next to a katana, it feels a little... niche restricted. Pretty much the reason my katana is a susano and my bow is an extended 2*.

Just bringing this up because you're probably not going to use those two weapons equally to validate certain skill/mag feeding choices.

LordKaiser
Mar 29, 2014, 11:35 PM
Well the full dex MAG build with Braver MAG passive may do less dmg than using the full katana S-MAG build or the full bow R-MAG build but it allow you to switch to 2 different types of gameplay at the same time without switching MAGs or set equipment.

This is the build I have with my 2nd character as I had my MAG with 50 or so Dex before any katanas with S-Attack reqs began to appear more. So I'm staying with the Jack of all trades Braver till I get AC. So far it was working ok.

Zenobia
Mar 30, 2014, 12:41 AM
What a lot of these people said is true and yes it's very important. Also to add on to what some of them haven't said aside of going full average stance get the charge skills for average as well.

Also Katana with Judgement Time latent have fun. Shunka is fine just don't be that person who spams it on small fire and die doing it when you could have used something safer and gotten it done faster without having people waste moons on you.

Rien
Mar 30, 2014, 05:51 AM
>You're engaging in combat wielding a katana
>The skill is called katana COMBAT

Like, really, does it need to be any more straightforward?

UnLucky
Mar 30, 2014, 03:31 PM
Massive Hunter and Power Bullet say hello