PDA

View Full Version : Stupid ST mistake corrupts my friend

Barubary6
Apr 15, 2003, 03:24 AM
Thanks to a stupid mistake by Sonic Team today, my friend corrupted.

When US/Vega first came back up after maintenance, there was a problem - "The Principal's Gift" from White Day reappeared. A Sonic Team representative, a RAmar named "TAILS" noticed this quickly and shut down the server immediately, without a warning. My friend paid the price.

The server had come back up, so people were joining teams again. It just so happens that my friend was in the middle of the second save. Thanks Sega.

-- Barubary

(Thanks to JStormEpI~II for finding out why the server was shut down after the maintenance had happened.)

Lolita edit: Do not give out GC numbers of people publicly, read the rules of the board

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-04-15 15:46 ]</font>

The_Hero_Of_Time
Apr 15, 2003, 06:13 AM
That sucks.

MonoxideChild
Apr 15, 2003, 08:46 AM
Wow, that blows hardcore ass. I'm glad I quit GC PSO.

Aurra
Apr 15, 2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Sonic Team has always been one of the most brilliant online game operators out there, haven't they? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif I especially liked the time on V1 when Oberon turned black and everyone got FSODed all at once without warning! Boy was that a hoot.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 03:43 PM
I actually enjoy the poetic justice here...

Aurra
Apr 15, 2003, 03:57 PM
On 2003-04-15 13:43, TeamPhalanx wrote:
I actually enjoy the poetic justice here...

Man, lighten up. I'm legit too, but imho just becuase someone is friends with a duper does not mean they are evil or deserve corruption.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 04:26 PM
Couple of things to think about...

Why is the double-save there in the first place?

What are odds that the friend is actually legit?

Aurra
Apr 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
On 2003-04-15 14:26, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Couple of things to think about...

Why is the double-save there in the first place?

It is there because of Sonic Team. 2 groups howerver, influenced them to add the double save patch. Both the dupers (because they were duping) and the legits (by complaining to Sonic Team about people duping and thus asking for something to be done about it). Playing the blame game at this point isn't going to do much good. We're all in the happy little corruption boat together.

What are odds that the friend is actually legit?

The odds that anyone is completely legit are slim to none. I don't even know that I'm completely legit. Maybe that ?SPECIAL WEAPON I picked up was actually dropped by a duper, not a Tollaw! This doesn't change the fact that this guy may have been doing nothing wrong, and even if he was a duper, I still don't think he deserves the pain of losing all of his hard work to a silly coding error that Sonic Team should've taken out of the game the minute they realized it was causing such major problems.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
No solution is w/o it's share of problems.

The classic disease analogy applies. If you have a disease, the cure will have some of of negative effect on you. But, you have to get rid of the disease. Overall, you would have been better of if you were never infected in the first place.

Aurra
Apr 15, 2003, 05:07 PM
On 2003-04-15 14:49, TeamPhalanx wrote:
No solution is w/o it's share of problems.

The classic disease analogy applies. If you have a disease, the cure will have some of of negative effect on you. But, you have to get rid of the disease. Overall, you would have been better of if you were never infected in the first place.

That's a good analogy, but it doesn't exactly apply to PSO's situation. Normally if you end up with a cure that's worse than the disease, you're stuck right? Well, not in PSO. Sonic Team has always had the option of simply removing the patch and going back to the days of easy duping, and yet they refuse. This is what gets me. Duping was bad, yes, but corruption is infinitely worse. The most ironic thing of all is that people are still duping! The double-save has weeded out only the most softcore of dupers, and as a side effect of existing, screwed the whole PSO community over.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 05:54 PM
It's ST's game/server, and I understand their intentions, so, I don't have any major gripes.

Getting back on topic, it's still a cheater complaining about something that was ultimately a result of cheating, and that's just priceless.

On the overall issue of losing a character, it's not that much of a big deal. Heck, I lost Phalanx (1000+ hours - we're talking almost all gameplay hours) during v2, and it wasn't a big deal; at least not to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TeamPhalanx on 2003-04-15 15:56 ]</font>

Aurra
Apr 15, 2003, 06:27 PM
On 2003-04-15 15:54, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Getting back on topic, it's still a cheater complaining about something that was ultimately a result of cheating, and that's just priceless.

I'm not sure he was complaining about the double-save. I think Baru was more angry with this ST admin "TAILS" and his foolish dropping of the Vega server without any sort of warning. The corruption of his friend was the result, but the cause was the admin dropping the server.

On the overall issue of losing a character, it's not that much of a big deal. Heck, I lost Phalanx (1000+ hours - we're talking almost all gameplay hours) during v2, and it wasn't a big deal; at least not to me.

It's not the character so much that many people are worried about (leveling up to around 100 doesn't really require that much effort), but the items which can be very hard to replace for a legit, and the guild card file which is very hard to replace for anyone. Though this might not be the case for some players like S N K with extremely high level characters that they have put almost endless work into.

Kujin
Apr 15, 2003, 07:00 PM
On 2003-04-15 16:27, Aurra wrote:

On 2003-04-15 15:54, TeamPhalanx wrote:

I'm not sure he was complaining about the double-save. I think Baru was more angry with this ST admin "TAILS" and his foolish dropping of the Vega server without any sort of warning. The corruption of his friend was the result, but the cause was the admin dropping the server.

It's not the character so much that many people are worried about (leveling up to around 100 doesn't really require that much effort), but the items which can be very hard to replace for a legit, and the guild card file which is very hard to replace for anyone. Though this might not be the case for some players like S N K with extremely high level characters that they have put almost endless work into.

..YEAH!!!

Kujin
Apr 15, 2003, 07:19 PM
*shoves his mighty legit sheild onto ye "...YEAH!!" and it banishes amongst the fubar and i died.. holy shit!*

i'm sorry to hear that happened to your friend. i too, corrupted yesterday, but i don't know if it was for the same reason. i was not on vega, but it was a US ship. i'm not one to complain about it though, and i will just resume to level up back to 178.

Guile
Apr 15, 2003, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, and don't worry kuj you'll get there