PDA

View Full Version : Extracted names from PSO2 SEA

Lostbob117
Apr 6, 2014, 11:49 PM
Here is a post on Raujinn's Blog for them:
http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/under-the-sea-extracted-names-from-pso2-sea/

Rip the series names. (Scape doll, Shifta, Deband, etc.) Hopefully those'll change!

Arksenth
Apr 6, 2014, 11:57 PM
LOL WIZARD

THAT IS ALL

Daiyousei
Apr 6, 2014, 11:59 PM
Lilipan = Lagomite

Macman
Apr 7, 2014, 12:02 AM
Yer' a Wizard, Arksenth.

Lagomite sounds like some kind of bunny-themed energy drink.

UnLucky
Apr 7, 2014, 12:04 AM
Beware, the lagomites dwell among the sands!

Taurus83
Apr 7, 2014, 12:07 AM
the hell

Caverns = Cauldron
Desert = Lost Sea
Tundra = White Summit
Tunnels = Underworks
F.Cont = Skyscape

all wrong in translate

Sayara
Apr 7, 2014, 12:12 AM
thats how the OSTs called alot of those.

TRACK 01 The whole new world – Full Version -
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 OPENING THEME
TRACK 02 A Lyric for Everlasting Story
TRACK 03 Greenscape Probe – Naberius – Scenery
TRACK 04 Cauldron Probe – Amduskia – Scenery
TRACK 05 Lost Sea Probe – Lilipur – Scenery
TRACK 06 White Summit Probe – Naberius – Scenery
TRACK 07 Underworks Probe – Lilipur – Scenery
TRACK 08 Skyscape Probe – Amduskia – Scenery
TRACK 09 Gateship

Zorafim
Apr 7, 2014, 12:13 AM
I was okay until Risa. That's when I lost hope.

KiddKon
Apr 7, 2014, 12:20 AM
I seriously can't get over Wizard and Lost Sea, it's just too hilarious, I imagine that the PA are going to be the funniest ones.

Takatsuki
Apr 7, 2014, 12:27 AM
This is a joke... right?

btw-Niji
Apr 7, 2014, 12:31 AM
"Terrible" is all I can say.

Lostbob117
Apr 7, 2014, 12:34 AM
Also here is a CO:

ac_name_text\actor_name.text, ObjectExGuide, 0, un_010420, "Wizards Can Take a Hike"

Lostbob117
Apr 7, 2014, 12:43 AM
Here are some PAs name that Agrajag got:

Surprise Knuckle = Knuckle Jolt
Surprise Dunk = Ambush Slam
Bullet Squall = Shell Storm
Reverse Tap = Vault Kick
Elder Rebellion = Equilibrium
Speed Rain = Sudden Squall (Agrajag likes this one)

jooozek
Apr 7, 2014, 12:43 AM
what a trainwreck of a translation

HeartBreak301
Apr 7, 2014, 12:49 AM
Ambush Slam. As if Surprise Dunk couldn't get any better.

Sparzyle
Apr 7, 2014, 12:51 AM
The CODEs sounds badass imho

Also the Rigshraider 8-)

Natsu Nem
Apr 7, 2014, 12:55 AM
I can't wait for them to butcher the technics.

ChiffonFairchild
Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 AM
Ambush Slam. As if Surprise Dunk couldn't get any better.

Might as well call it "Surprise Sex"

final_attack
Apr 7, 2014, 01:03 AM
Elder Rebellion = Equilibrium

Isn't Equilibrium is a name of a movie with Gun-Kata (?) style on it? They're doing it on purpose? lol

LordKaiser
Apr 7, 2014, 01:04 AM
Please keep the current unofficial translation ty.

oratank
Apr 7, 2014, 01:07 AM
Darkers = D-Arkers
nomore riddle

strikerhunter
Apr 7, 2014, 01:07 AM
Also here is a CO:

ac_name_text\actor_name.text, ObjectExGuide, 0, un_010420, "Wizards Can Take a Hike"

Hahahahaha omfg that's to friggin funny xD

Honestly all of these translations so far are too funny. Can't wait for the remaining PAs and other stuffs.

Darkers = D-Arkers
nomore riddle
This was actually said during the Western release announcement but I came up with a theory and that it's actually D-arkers.

Natsu Nem
Apr 7, 2014, 01:09 AM
I can't wait.

Foie=Foey
Barta=Baahta
Zonde=Zunde
Zan=Xun
Megid=Megood

Macman
Apr 7, 2014, 01:28 AM
Reverse Tap = Vault Kick
Did they just mix this up with Aerial Shooting? That's a vault kick if I ever seen one.

Takatsuki
Apr 7, 2014, 01:30 AM
You know it's sad when the fan translations are far more accurate than the "official" ones.

Also, I feel bad for people who will make threads like "need build for samurai class", only to get trolled and laughed at.

"What is the best way to beat Carthago Extermination with a Wizard? I only have Foy, Barda, Zombe and Rest BTW"

yoshiblue
Apr 7, 2014, 01:31 AM
You know it's sad when the fan translations are far more accurate than the "official" ones.

Also, I feel bad for people who will make threads like "need build for samurai class", only to get trolled and laughed at.

I wouldn't call it a samurai class simply because it doesn't include the yari.

Macman
Apr 7, 2014, 01:34 AM

"Hey guys what's the best element for Wizards, Heat, Cold, or Spark?"

"Magic Missile"
"Abra Kedabra"
"Wingardium Leviosa"

"You need Ressurect PP Infuse skill so heat"

Sacrificial
Apr 7, 2014, 01:46 AM
Isn't Equilibrium is a name of a movie with Gun-Kata (?) style on it? They're doing it on purpose? lol

exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrbNCVCu6I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrbNCVCu6I

DeificEpyon
Apr 7, 2014, 01:51 AM

That movie was actually the first thing I thought of when using Elder Rebellion back when it first came out. The slow-mo flips and Messiah Time reminded me of The Matrix though (obviously).

Taurus83
Apr 7, 2014, 02:01 AM
what if Emergency Code: Rescue = Emergency Code: Search and Rescue

Macman
Apr 7, 2014, 02:14 AM
Still doesn't make sense for the Gilnas Lillipan trapped scenario. First instinct will still be to attack the Gilnas. Seriously should've made that a protection, lol.

Daiyousei
Apr 7, 2014, 02:28 AM
That movie was actually the first thing I thought of when using Elder Rebellion back when it first came out. The slow-mo flips and Messiah Time reminded me of The Matrix though (obviously).

Plus the movie is called Rebellion in Japan, which adds to the cake

Shadowth117
Apr 7, 2014, 02:54 AM
Banther Ong = Banse Ang

http://i.imgur.com/cMzlrVT.jpg

landman
Apr 7, 2014, 03:01 AM
Other than the series classical names (and don't forget they changed some of those names in PSP2 too), I'm ok with most of them, specially enemy names, character names and stage names. In fact I'm surprised about the latin recemblances of most "D-arkers" names.

TaigaUC
Apr 7, 2014, 03:01 AM
Yuck. Localization is the devil.

Lagomite sounds like petrified Lilipan poop or something.
Now we know why the mechs are so obsessed with them.
Gilnas: "MUST PROCESS LILIPAN ANUS".

Sorry, "Lagomitian Anus".

Natsu Nem
Apr 7, 2014, 03:41 AM
Predicahda = Bredicarda
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/mVEQl9w.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

landman
Apr 7, 2014, 04:20 AM
The same joke could be made with the Breahda.

MimiChan
Apr 7, 2014, 04:55 AM
I guess sooner or later there will be two faction, 'oldies' who uses the fan-translated name and 'purist' who uses the official translated names.

Anyway while most of the PA names changed from awkward name to cool sounding ones like Speed Rain to Sudden Squall, I don't like the trying to dumb the other names like Shifta to Amplify just so people can get how the tech works.

I might imagine they will do something like this:
Foie = Fireball
Gifoie = Spinning Fireball
Nafoie = Throwing Fireball

You know, to make it simple to the player =.=

jooozek
Apr 7, 2014, 05:13 AM
they arent official translated names
they are names that some shitty publisher came up with
lol @ destroying established names in series

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 05:15 AM
What the hell, man. Asiasoft managed to disappoint me and I never had any hope in them in the first place. Those names may be terrible, but they're not terrible enough.

:|

Rupikachu
Apr 7, 2014, 05:19 AM
Lagomate sounds like some sort of pokemon...

Wait... can i throw pokeballs at them?

Sacrificial
Apr 7, 2014, 05:30 AM
Please name zonde lightning bolt

Lostbob117
Apr 7, 2014, 05:50 AM
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire01, "Foie"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire02, "Gifoie"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire03, "Rafoie"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire04, "Safoie"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire05, "Amplify"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Fire06, "Nafoie"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice01, "Barta"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice02, "Gibarta"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice03, "Rabarta"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice04, "Sabarta"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice05, "Shield"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Ice06, "Na Barta"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder01, "Zonde"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder02, "Gizonde"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder03, "Razonde"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder04, "Sazonde"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder05, "Zondial"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Thunder06, "Nazonde"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind01, "Zan"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind02, "Gizan"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind03, "Razan"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind04, "Sazan"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind05, "Nazan"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind06, "Zanbaas"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light01, "Grants"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light02, "Gigrants"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light03, "Ragrants"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light04, "Heal"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light05, "Purify"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Light06, "Nagrants"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark01, "Megid"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark02, "Gimegid"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark03, "Ramegid"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark04, "Samegid"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark05, "Megiverse"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark06, "Na Megid"

No worries about Techs. Except you know, Resta is now Heal.

landman
Apr 7, 2014, 06:32 AM
Part if not all those translations provably come from the official translation for the western server, two years ago they were already named D-arkers in the western announcement. But I want to believe the transformation of Shifta, Resta or Force are Asiasoft's fault.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 06:38 AM
I find most of this unsurprising, but the overuse of H's to make vowels longer is annoying. They could at least try to hide that this was translated from japanese, but instead they place arbitrary H's behind every third A making it feel completely artificial.

edit: oh my god they ruined Astarte's name, hands down one of the best NPC names in the game god fucking damnit

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 06:48 AM
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Wind06, "Zanbaas"
ac_name_text\actor_name.text, PA, 0, Dark05, "Megiverse"

I take it back, I love Asiasoft. :wacko:

Crystal_Shard
Apr 7, 2014, 06:52 AM
Anti seems to have become Purify as well.

Shinamori
Apr 7, 2014, 06:57 AM
I can see that, but I'd prefer Anti.

Pneuma
Apr 7, 2014, 07:26 AM
Asiasoft disappoints again...First RO2, now PSO2.

Why cant they just keep correct series translations?

Daiyousei
Apr 7, 2014, 07:29 AM
They probably don't want to deal with players like

"What does Shifta do?"
"What does Deband do?"
"What does a Force class do?"

But if that was the case other techs would've needed renaming too.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 07:40 AM
I don't get all the big butthurt over some name changes, and if you were to ask who the most "nostalgic" player on psow is half the forum would point to me since apparently liking some elements of anything but the most recent video game in a video game series automatically makes you irrational and more rose tinted than a pair of 3d glasses with two red lenses.

It's just a few names. What you should be more concerned with is if they're allowed to make balance changes, and if so are those balance changes improvements?

Courina
Apr 7, 2014, 07:40 AM
kinda wonder if the translator isnt fans of phantasy star series...

I don't get all the big butthurt over some name changes, and if you were to ask who the most "nostalgic" player on psow is half the forum would point to me since apparently liking some elements of anything but the most recent video game in a video game series automatically makes you irrational and more rose tinted than a pair of 3d glasses with two red lenses.

It's just a few names. What you should be more concerned with is if they're allowed to make balance changes, and if so are those balance changes improvements?

what im worried that i remember read somewhere in psu-mod that the psojp translator team made statement to follow the english localisation when they out...

Zettabyte
Apr 7, 2014, 07:48 AM
I actually kinda like Thumbs Up and My Quarters.

In the former case, it's more immediately obvious what exactly it does-- Good Job could be anything, but a Thumbs Up is obviously something quick and positive. I'm okay with them taking a degree or two of freedom on that one.

Granted, it sucks that they broke from established series translation on the latter, but "Quarters" does give it more of a military feel, which ties in nicely with what I loosely understand the story to be.

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 07:59 AM
I'm sure we've yet to see the best translations yet... item descriptions.

http://i.imgur.com/4Bi4uUA.jpg

Inazuma
Apr 7, 2014, 08:13 AM
This is not proper translation work. If the original source is English, you should only change something if there is a really good reason, and even then you want to change it as little as possible. If you are translating from Japanese to English, you should try to actually translate, not make up whatever shit you feel like.

Rien
Apr 7, 2014, 08:26 AM
Please remember this is south east asia and more often than not even the staff do not have sufficient English prowess to be able to provide proper english translations at all.

Inazuma
Apr 7, 2014, 08:34 AM
Please remember this is south east asia and more often than not even the staff do not have sufficient English prowess to be able to provide proper english translations at all.

If no one working at their company knows English, maybe they should get outside help for the English translation.

Coatl
Apr 7, 2014, 09:38 AM
I actually like the way D-Arkers sound more than Darkers. Feels more personal.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 7, 2014, 10:21 AM
I don't even get it. They change Force to Wizard for no apparent reason, but decide to use 'Risa' instead of 'Lisa'? I'm seriously questioning the quality of their translation team haha.

xervah
Apr 7, 2014, 10:28 AM
NEWBIE PLAYER : were can i find neptunian?
VETERAN PSO2 PLAYER : oh? it's on playstation store, it'll only cost less 15$
NEWBIE PLAYER : what!?
VETERAN PSO2 PLAYER : you said neptunian? hyper dimension neptunian right? on PS3?
NEWBIE PLAYER : ........ my quest info said i should kill 50 neptunian
VETERAN PSO2 PLAYER : ........

and also...

PSO2 SEA Newbie: Wow man!! Being a Wizard ROCKS!!
PSO2 Veteran(me): It's Force Class...
PSO2 SEA Newbie: What the hell is a Force Class? Might be the "first class" of Wizard! LOL.
PSO2 SEA Newbie: And maaaaaaaan!! Samurai is awesome with the quick draw slashing and stuff!!
PSO2 Veteran(me): ....... That's... a Braver Class...
PSO2 SEA Newbie: PFFFFFT! What the hell is a braver? Must be that lame Bow type of Samurai LOLOLOL! Anyways, MAN!! I killed Vol Dragon in Normal mode! Damn it's so hard to kill it!
PSO2 Veteran(me): Meh, that's easy... Even with Normal, H, and VH difficulty, have you heard about SH difficulty?
PSO2 SEA Newbie: What the hell is a SH?
PSO2 Veteran(me): .... Super Hard difficulty.
PSO2 Newbie: LOL Only the difficulty exists are only Normal, Hard and Very Hard, your PSO2 must be a private server.
PSO2 Veteran(me): I'm so gonna fucking kill you calling PSO2 Japan as a fucking private server... you damn fucking brat..

Oh man... BEHOLD!! Fellow ARKS!! I am a lvl 30 SAMURAI!!! IN A SCI-FI MMORPG!!! BANZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI! *facepalm* the class name Braver is good enough.....

I am a lvl 30 "WIZARD" in a Sci-Fi MMORPG! *quadrople face wall*

HIT0SHI
Apr 7, 2014, 10:31 AM
Funny how i can see all of this happening lol

Rien
Apr 7, 2014, 10:35 AM
Funny how i can see all of this happening lol

Errr... it is happening...

jooozek
Apr 7, 2014, 10:39 AM
people who dont know japans history wouldnt know japanese samurai used bullet bows :-?

Daiyousei
Apr 7, 2014, 10:40 AM
I must be glad that my SEA friends are either playing jp or at least know the series.

Edit: aside from the Roman era, Japanese history is a favourite topic of mine on history. Samurai historically used the swords and their variations, and they were also trained in using a bow. When European traders came some also took up the matchlock arquebus. They also went into battle mainly with a yari spear first, only drawing their katanas when things got a bit close.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2014, 10:41 AM
What.

Wizard?

Not even like... sorcerer, or technician, or force master, or caster, or anything else that would be appropriate for what they actually are?

I mean if you're going to change it at all, at least change it to something that makes some semblance of sense. But WIZARD? WHAT?

Braver at least makes sense because, let's face it, they ARE the samurai class, but still braver just sounds straight-up better than samurai as a word. Meh, meh, and double-meh.

Btw Lost Sea actually makes sense as a name because it is a lost sea - the whole desert used to be the floor of a giant waterbed, kind of like how Mars (probably) used to have liquid water over its surface but it's now just a barren wasteland.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 10:42 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/biz/image/1392/46/1392463828525.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Triple_S
Apr 7, 2014, 10:45 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/biz/image/1392/46/1392463828525.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

r/retiredjpgs

KuroNeko77
Apr 7, 2014, 11:00 AM
I, hm... what ?

I kinda lite the D-Arkers bit, but come on... Lagomite ? And what were they thinking by changing Force and the techs names ? They've been part of the series since forever and were unique. Why did they have to pick generic names ?

FireswordRus
Apr 7, 2014, 11:00 AM
[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/5E9l6[/spoiler-box]

Tenlade
Apr 7, 2014, 11:02 AM
What.

Wizard?

Not even like... sorcerer, or technician, or force master, or caster, or anything else that would be appropriate for what they actually are?

I mean if you're going to change it at all, at least change it to something that makes some semblance of sense. But WIZARD? WHAT?

Eh, to someone who's never played a phantasy star game before, calling one of the starting class wizard instead of "force" might make it a bit more obvious what it does.

Force master sounds like something that would get a lawsuit for being too close to star wars. Technician might be confused for techer and caster for CAST race. Sorcerer might have been fine though.

HIT0SHI
Apr 7, 2014, 11:15 AM
Errr... it is happening...

Players complaining about name changes =/= New players making Veteran players mad using said name changes.

Oh and Lisa is now called Risa? Wtf?

WildarmsRE5
Apr 7, 2014, 11:24 AM
Eh, to someone who's never played a phantasy star game before, calling one of the starting class wizard instead of "force" might make it a bit more obvious what it does.

Force master sounds like something that would get a lawsuit for being too close to star wars. Technician might be confused for techer and caster for CAST race. Sorcerer might have been fine though.I think their Issue here is about they have been around since ancient times. therefore having sentimental value in them and changing it actually hurts. (I, too, liked the Tech names in PSU and Force. and kinda wishing they change it back when they go Open Beta.)

Rien
Apr 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
Players complaining about name changes =/= New players making Veteran players mad using said name changes.

Both are already happening. The latter just not in this thread.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 12:03 PM

Oh and Lisa is now called Risa? Wtf?

Risa has been the official translation since the PSP version came out, as it was listed in the credits alongside every other translated name. They're sticking with the pre-existing official translation.

Do some research before y'all get mad over nothing.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2014, 12:07 PM

Force master sounds like something that would get a lawsuit for being too close to star wars. Technician might be confused for techer and caster for CAST race. Sorcerer might have been fine though.
The thing is, Force has never been an issue in any of the previous games, so why start now?
You have a point about Technician at least, but Force Master is used in Blade & Soul with no issues (the only trademark Star Wars has is on specifically the phrase "The Force", and only when in reference to an invisible energy field that suffuses all things).

So anyway, going down the list, these are what I think the good translations are:[spoiler-box]
Techter = Techer - Seriously tho, who actually called them Techter/Techtor?

Forest = Greenscape
Caverns = Cauldron
Desert = Lost Sea
Tundra = White Summit
Tunnels = Underworks
F.Cont = Skyscape - These are all official names, and they work well enough for what they are.

Darkers = D-Arkers
Krahda = Krada
El Ahda = El Arda
Breeahda = Briarda - Bonus points for actually figuring out they meant "briar"

Yede = Yedi
Dragonkin = Dragonii/Dragorii
Oceanid = Neptunian
Lilipa Mechs = Automata
Lilipan = Lagomite (Yes, really)

Shell Flower = Fusillade Flower
Darchyme = Darchyme/D-arkeim

Arrest = Hunt
Avoid = Evasion
Present = Gift
Attack = Assault
Protection = Defense
Collect = Collection - I think they should back-port these EC names to the Japanese version, but that's just me.

Klotho = Chroto - Because it's one letter away from "Chrono". Yes, that's all.
Gettemhult = Guntram - Let's face it, I don't even know what they were going for with the original kana anyway.

Ro Kamits = Ro’Kamiz
Terioto = Ter’Jotr - Because the apostrophe makes them more exotic. Yes, really.

Surprise Dunk = Ambush Slam
Speed Rain = Sudden Squall

Lilipa = Lilipur

My Room = My Quarters

Good Job = Thumbs Up[/spoiler-box]

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 12:11 PM
Techter = Techer - Seriously tho, who actually called them Techter/Techtor?[/spoiler-box]

As I've pointed out in the past, the name "te ku taー" combined with the close range support-oriented nature of the class's skills and weapons, suggest the class's name was intended to be a shortening of the word "protector." Sega just lopped off the "pro" and called it "tector" because, well, it's not pro at all (Also to keep the name short, everything else is just a few letters while protector would be プロテクター or プローテクター, considerably longer than any other class name).

Chdata
Apr 7, 2014, 12:14 PM
D-Arkers

looooooooooooool

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 12:15 PM
Laugh at SEGA, because that's what they intended it to be.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 12:20 PM
Seriously.

There's too many people dogpiling on the people in charge of the SEA version for simply making so many of SOJ's original translations more well known.

A surprising amount of that list is just what SOJ has had in the files since the beginning, or has let loose as the official translation in some kind of media since the game launched. Game credits, game files, OST titles, or promotional images have made a lot of that known over the years PSO2 has been around (either in alpha/beta or after launching).

Risa, Lilipur, Banser, all this kind of shit is old news none of you have known about before today. Point the finger at SOJ for all that, not Asiasoft.

Pretty much all Asiasoft has taken liberties on is tech names, a couple JP names (Gettemhart's name was changed), a handful of enemy names, and...stuff people here actually like.

edit: For example, none of those field names are anything Asiasoft came up with. All Asiasoft really seems to have done is make support techs easier to identify for new players, and spray diarrhea on their keyboards when editing enemy names.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-original-soundtrack-vol-1/
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-original-soundtrack-vol-2/

Chdata
Apr 7, 2014, 12:23 PM
Don't worry, at least the game is still good as a rori dress up simulator.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2014, 12:28 PM
As I've pointed out in the past, the name "te ku taー" combined with the close range support-oriented nature of the class's skills and weapons, suggest the class's name was intended to be a shortening of the word "protector." Sega just lopped off the "pro" and called it "tector" because, well, it's not pro at all (Also to keep the name short, everything else is just a few letters while protector would be プロテクター or プローテクター, considerably longer than any other class name).
Yeah, I know, but their intent doesn't make it sound any less moronic in English.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I know, but their intent doesn't make it sound any less moronic in English.

Truth man, truth. It might sound neat to people who don't speak english, since they can't necessarily understand it as a functional word and just recognize the harder consonants close together as sounding english, but it's just a weird thing to call a class in this game for english speakers.

"Techer" is no better, mind. Why would it be called Techer? It focuses less on techs than Force does. The only real reason is that it's similar enough to "Tector" to be a reasonable leap.

I'd rather see something completely different myself, but whatever.

HIT0SHI
Apr 7, 2014, 12:38 PM
Both are already happening. The latter just not in this thread.
Oooh OK then. Haven't seen those yet.

Risa has been the official translation since the PSP version came out, as it was listed in the credits alongside every other translated name. They're sticking with the pre-existing official translation.

Do some research before y'all get mad over nothing.
Thanks for clarification but I'm actually not getting mad, was just asking. :V

Pneuma
Apr 7, 2014, 12:40 PM
Truth man, truth. It might sound neat to people who don't speak english, since they can't necessarily understand it as a functional word and just recognize the harder consonants close together as sounding english, but it's just a weird thing to call a class in this game for english speakers.

"Techer" is no better, mind. Why would it be called Techer? It focuses less on techs than Force does. The only real reason is that it's similar enough to "Tector" to be a reasonable leap.

I'd rather see something completely different myself, but whatever.

I'm surprised they didnt call Techter Synergist since it's more around support techs.

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised they didnt call Techter Synergist since it's more around support techs.

Not bad, but same problem - too long. Here are the class names in japanese:

ハンター (ha n taー)
レンジャー (re n jaー)
フォース (foー su)
ファイター (fa i taー)
ガンナー (ga n naー)
テクター (te ku taー)
ブレイバー (bu re i baー)

All about the same length. This is due to a variety of factors, but actually fitting in the game's UI is part of it. More compact and smaller, whenever possible, is always better - that way you don't need to reserve more screen space that will be wasted on all but one class. Shorter to pronounce is also preferable, and then easily distinguished based on a couple letters is good too (this eeks out into other aspects of UI design, the whole information-at-a-glance sort of thing).

Most classes, besides the original force, have base names that imply they do things, i.e. hunters hunt, fighters fight, gunners gun, etc. Braver is...who knows, but they'd probably want the name to end in -er if possible.

Buffer is decent, but implies a more limited role. Syner is good, but then you get the issue with customers being all miffed that it sounds like sinner and it's better to just stay away from offending super sensitive (but more importantly, paying) customers whenever possible.

Honestly? The only thing that springs to mind while I put off my assignments is "Mixer" since it mixes melee and techs. Pretty bad name, but then so is Techer so I mean. "Mancer" would've been decent too, since the class has a heavier focus on using the correct elements.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2014, 01:15 PM
Synergist actually makes sense. シナジース, same character length as ブレイバー and ファイター. Can cut out the extension character if it's unnecessary (not sure exactly how to transliterate it in kana), though considering all class names have one dash in them, it's probably for the best. It has more actual syllables but, well, I'm not sure if that takes priority over simply sounding nifty.

UnLucky
Apr 7, 2014, 03:37 PM
Space Wizards casting Space Magic!

And Techer, uh, what do they do?

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 03:41 PM

Well that's a pretty good class description, isn't it?

FireswordRus
Apr 7, 2014, 04:57 PM

Lol, Ragrants something like this:
[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/802BZ.gif[/spoiler-box]

yoshiblue
Apr 7, 2014, 05:09 PM
Obviously blood magic to fuel their desire to smack things.

Remz69
Apr 7, 2014, 05:21 PM
Well that's a pretty good class description, isn't it?

i so didn't expect that, that i laughed a whole lot more than i should have :-D

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 06:03 PM

Funny because techs are not magic it's psychic power nothing magical about techs. But really Japanese are terrible at using English words to sound cool, you guys may laugh at asia soft and sega but Square has them beat with some of their game names Final Fantasy Dissidea 12 Duocedium (Yes 12 12......)

Gardios
Apr 7, 2014, 06:09 PM
It's just called Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, with 012 pronounced as Duodecim.

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 06:13 PM
That's still a fucking stupid name. :P

UnLucky
Apr 7, 2014, 06:19 PM
Funny because techs are not magic it's psychic power nothing magical about techs.
Nothin' magical about supernatural power :-?

But there are no techs in SEA. Only magic.

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 06:23 PM
Who said techs are supernatural? They'd have to do damage and scale for that :wacko:

Tenlade
Apr 7, 2014, 06:27 PM
Nothin' magical about supernatural power :-?

But there are no techs in SEA. Only magic.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 06:29 PM
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

In phantasy star magic and techs are specifically separated. Esper did magic.

UnLucky
Apr 7, 2014, 06:30 PM
No, Magicians use Magic. Get it right.

And Techers also use Magic, but with magic wands instead of magic rods.

Tenlade
Apr 7, 2014, 06:34 PM
the point is that functionally they are the same, you're still shooting fireballs at a rappy.

I don't think magic magic has existed anymore since pso1, unless I missed some plotline or something.

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 06:40 PM
From ps4 it was never in ps. People are just lazy and call it magic.

UnLucky
Apr 7, 2014, 06:50 PM
Not lazy, official localization

gigawuts
Apr 7, 2014, 06:50 PM
If they didn't want it to be canon they shouldn't have canonized it.

ShinMaruku
Apr 7, 2014, 07:00 PM
Only da pope makes shit cannon. :wacko:

Chunky McMunky
Apr 7, 2014, 07:46 PM
Pffft wizard lol

Lostbob117
Apr 7, 2014, 08:01 PM
Let's be fair though, nothing is confirmed until it's released.

Dragwind
Apr 7, 2014, 08:03 PM
Oh no. No no no no no.

This can't be right.

Omega-z
Apr 7, 2014, 09:09 PM
JP could of gone with Arcotor since it's similar to Arcotecher/Wartecher from PSU. Just watch the SEA version for Techer will be Warlock.

Taurus83
Apr 7, 2014, 09:47 PM
just notice something at asiasoft playpark subforum for pso2 there the name class discussion still name Force

Punisher106
Apr 8, 2014, 12:39 AM
I always thought Techniques were the manipulation of certain elements of photons (i.e. Foie is a condensed mass of fire photons around the caster shot at a single enemy, etc)

Shadowth117
Apr 8, 2014, 12:44 AM
I always thought Techniques were the manipulation of certain elements of photons (i.e. Foie is a condensed mass of fire photons around the caster shot at a single enemy, etc)

Going by the descriptions of them in JP PSO2, you'd be pretty much right. There's no elemental photons involved, but from the descriptions it uses the energy from the photons to generate the effects of the various spells. Ex. Gibarta's description: Intermediate ice technic. Quickly cools the atmosphere, producing icy shrapnel in front.

jooozek
Apr 8, 2014, 12:44 AM
just notice something at asiasoft playpark subforum for pso2 there the name class discussion still name Force

doesnt matter, here is a tidbit from their faq on the forums:

"7) What are the classes and races available in the beta?
Races: Human, Newman and Cast. Classes: Hunter, Ranger and Wizard."

Macman
Apr 8, 2014, 01:21 AM
All of the Megid techs mention condensed photons. You think attacking things with Megid is akin to using black holes to hurt things? Gimegid in PS0 kind of had a vacuum effect, too, whether that was coincidental or not.
Imagine how dangerous developing Megiverse must've been.

ShinMaruku
Apr 8, 2014, 01:29 AM

That is what they are. Pyschic control of photons.

Rekku
Apr 8, 2014, 02:36 AM
>wizard
>magic

What the hell is this, the average American MMO? What the hell.

That and the changes to Shifta and friends, they're getting rid of the Phantasy Star brand.

First we want a localization, then when we (almost) get it it goes too far. Thanks Sega.

Kilich
Apr 8, 2014, 05:12 AM

I don't think there's such thing as fire photons. There's heat manipulation using photons.

And, to be fair, photons look pretty scientific, or at least logical:
Condensing photons creates crystals - Light and photons spheres. And FTL and land drops for that matter.
Dissolving them, dissolves matter - Dark and poison
Compressing space creates blades that cut through almost everything - Wind and probably ARKS personal forcefields, represented by HP.
Heat and electric charge manipulation - FO's elements and everything ARKS need power wise.

Rien
Apr 8, 2014, 07:35 AM

It's generated by manipulating photons in a specific manner, similar to string theory.

Fire is created by heating photons
Ice is created by spreading photons to cool the atmosphere
Lightning is created by exciting photons (vibration and energy and stuff)
Wind is created by manipulating atmospheric pressure via photons
Dark is created by condensing photons
Light is created by crystallising photons

Punisher106
Apr 8, 2014, 09:27 AM
Welp. I kind of went with the idea of elemental photons because of the Gurhal PS games having such kinds of photons, or whatever.

isCasted
Apr 8, 2014, 09:35 AM
Welp. I kind of went with the idea of elemental photons because of the Gurhal PS games having such kinds of photons, or whatever.

Zon-photon
An inactivated, solidified cluster of photons.
Attribute: Lightning.

Resta
A light-based technic. Uses the power of photons to regenerate body cells, restoring HP.

Unless someone in story mode said that, I don't see how those photons were different.

Angelo
Apr 8, 2014, 10:00 AM
Names I like better:

My Quarters > My Room
Dragonii > Dragonkin
Emergency Code: Evasion > Avoid
Thumbs Up > Good Job.

The rest are awful.

Rien
Apr 8, 2014, 10:34 AM
Unless someone in story mode said that, I don't see how those photons were different.

pso2 techs work differently

Resta:

体力を回復させるテクニック。フォトンにより、新陳代謝が促進。失われた体力は戻り、傷は癒え る。
A Technic that can recover stamina. Using photons, boost metabolism. Recovers lost stamina and heals wounds.

Bloothehegdehog
Apr 8, 2014, 05:08 PM
Good Job = Thumbs Up
Lilipan = Lagomite
How do you mess up this bad holy wackamoly

Shadowth117
Apr 8, 2014, 05:19 PM
Good Job = Thumbs Up
Lilipan = Lagomite
How do you mess up this bad holy wackamoly

I like how by changing Lillipan, they completely destroy the reference in the name.

Biolizard13
Apr 8, 2014, 06:45 PM
"Force>Wizard"

This isn't Phantasy Star...

This isn't Phantasy Star at all

Lostbob117
Apr 8, 2014, 06:46 PM
So it seems that they're calling it force on their forums, not sure if someone pointed it out. http://forums.playpark.net/index.php?/forum/712-class-discussion/

Triple_S
Apr 8, 2014, 07:19 PM
Names I like better:

My Quarters > My Room
Dragonii > Dragonkin
Emergency Code: Evasion > Avoid
Thumbs Up > Good Job.

The rest are awful.

I only like "Code: Evasion," though "Thumbs Up" I could go either way.

For some reason "My Quarters" gives this air of trying too hard. I have no idea why. Plus who the fuck really says "I'mma go to my quarters" no they go to their fucking room fuck you fuck

Dragonii is odd. Dragonkin makes more sense because it sorta fits the hierarchy they have, where the lesser creatures are dragon-like but the ones at the top are full-on durrgons.

landman
Apr 8, 2014, 07:49 PM
I thought Dragonii was some kind of deformation of "Draconid" which means "related to a dragon". The meteor shower that comes from the Draco constellation are also known as Draconids.