PDA

View Full Version : b-20 must be defeated

FireswordRus
Apr 8, 2014, 05:40 PM
Dont speak English in B-20

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 05:45 PM
*Yawn* Another day, another person bitching about block 20. Lock wasteland and shut the fuck up please and thanks.

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2014, 05:47 PM
One block, of one ship, of one game. You can't give these people one place to have fun?

Shinamori
Apr 8, 2014, 05:48 PM
*Yawn* Another day, another person bitching about block 20. Lock wasteland and shut the fuck up please and thanks.

Just wait till you get lobby killed.

Walkure
Apr 8, 2014, 05:49 PM
進撃の外人!

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 05:56 PM
Just wait till you get lobby killed.
-_-. Wow. Theirs around 35 fricking blocks on ship 2 alone!!! Jesus christ! If block 20 dies then everyone moves to a different block! Besides this is a pointless thing to bitch over!! If you don't like block 20 then DON'T FUCKING GO ON BLOCK 20!! Its not quantum science people!!!

Shinamori
Apr 8, 2014, 05:58 PM
It's bad reflectivity.

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 05:59 PM
Firesword? Are you the one who does the mirror livestreams of Sega's Nico Nico live broadcasts? If so, thank you very much. It helps out my friends and me.

On the topic of B20, the only way I can see this problem being solved, is if Sega does something themselves. Contact Sega and hope for the best.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:01 PM
Oi!! Inazuma!! Do you WANT the english community of pso2 to be kicked out?!?! Whose side are you on!?

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:02 PM
It's bad reflectivity.
Ok that makes no sense whatsoever.

Sayara
Apr 8, 2014, 06:08 PM
だるだるだるアルバイト エンタメ的スーサイド
バラしてます 恋してます 4コマ可愛いね
崖っぷちで乾杯を 呪詛を込めて喝采を
おとなしい顔をして スケベニンゲン
スケベニンゲン ニンゲン

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/xkQcdWWafsE/maxresdefault.jpg

futamieriko
Apr 8, 2014, 06:10 PM
I prefer having it around, personally. It keeps a lot of the English community's worst players in one place and out of everyone else's MPAs. Don't get me wrong, it's not exclusive to bad players, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty high.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:10 PM
Right, fresh kills landfill. Where this dumbass thread belongs

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 8, 2014, 06:11 PM
Oi!! Inazuma!! Do you WANT the english community of pso2 to be kicked out?!?! Whose side are you on!?

You must be new here.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:13 PM
I prefer having it around, personally. It keeps a lot of the English community's worst players in one place and out of everyone else's MPAs. Don't get me wrong, it's not exclusive to bad players, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty high.

To be honest I generally hang out in block 20 and I'm fine with it. People overblow dramaticly the amount of crazy that happens in there. That or they've never heard of a blacklist before. When you get down to it the players in there can be helpful and nice and the general insanity of block 20's lobby does get a laugh out of me sometimes.

Lego
Apr 8, 2014, 06:13 PM
B20 folk spread to other blocks when EQ. Last TD 100% sure B20 peple in Block 12.
2 LV65(myself included) and rest was around 55 or below. I carry l Why not VH block scrubs.

Oooh and one time we had over 9000 Crystals when last wave started in TD2. WTF

FireswordRus
Apr 8, 2014, 06:14 PM
all Russian team must be spam on Russians, All germany teams Speak Germany, all Portuguese, just speak Portuguese.
If u can we are take it.all Russian team must be spam on Russians, All germany teams Speak Germany, all Portuguese, just speak Portuguese.
If u can - we are take it.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:14 PM
You must be new here.
No need for the sarcasm. Jesus.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:15 PM
all Russian team must be spam on Russians, All germany teams Speak Germany, all Portuguese, just speak Portuguese.
If u can we are take it.all Russian team must be spam on Russians, All germany teams Speak Germany, all Portuguese, just speak Portuguese.
If u can - we are take it.

I'm sorry. No matter how many times I read that I can not see any actual resemblance to a real sentence in there. Its just a jumble of words. Might wanna get your grammar checked.

futamieriko
Apr 8, 2014, 06:20 PM
To be honest I generally hang out in block 20 and I'm fine with it. People overblow dramaticly the amount of crazy that happens in there. That or they've never heard of a blacklist before. When you get down to it the players in there can be helpful and nice and the general insanity of block 20's lobby does get a laugh out of me sometimes.
I agree the hate is exaggerated most of the time. I think it's more that the other blocks are just tame in comparison.

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2014, 06:21 PM
Right, fresh kills landfill. Where this dumbass thread belongs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4&feature=fvwp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4&feature=fvwp

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:21 PM
I agree the hate is exaggerated most of the time. I think it's more that the other blocks are just tame in comparison.
Yeah, still if you blacklist the people on block 20 that bother you then its fine. Or just go upstairs to the shops where no one talks at all.

Palle
Apr 8, 2014, 06:23 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oDrFtZo2D_M/T-WMl5zBNzI/AAAAAAAAAcs/KrHK8imNHiI/s1600/Jack-Klugman-in-Quincy-M-E--244076.jpeg

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 06:28 PM

I don't want them to be kicked out. I want to Sega to do something that will make the bad players care about their behavior or quit the game. The good players would remain.

For example, if Sega prevents the English patch from working, that would pretty much solve this problem instantly. That's only one method. There are many other things Sega could do that would only affect bad players.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:30 PM
But if they prevent the english patch from working then HOW are people like me (a good player) going to understand whats being written?!? That issue would affect both good player and bad players!

Sayara
Apr 8, 2014, 06:33 PM
A good player would learn Japanese obviously.
Go home and be a family man Yankee.

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 06:38 PM
But if they prevent the english patch from working then HOW are people like me (a good player) going to understand whats being written?!? That issue would affect both good player and bad players!

If you were serious about the game, you could take a week or two and learn how to read katakana. That's all it would take to understand the majority of the text in the game, and then you wouldn't need the English patch anyway.

Most of the game is in English already. You just don't know it because it's written in katakana. If you know English and katakana, you should be fine.

By the way, with knowledge of both English and katakana, you would be able to understand and play most Japanese games. The main exception is heavy dialogue, usually found in RPGs. PSO2 story mode is not crucial so that's not a big deal.

Biolizard13
Apr 8, 2014, 06:42 PM

How do you think people played this game before the English patch?
It only took me a few days to get down the basics, and I don't even know a lick of the language

HOW are people like me (a good player)
Heh

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:47 PM
If you were serious about the game, you could take a week or two and learn how to read katakana. That's all it would take to understand the majority of the text in the game, and then you wouldn't need the English patch anyway.

Most of the game is in English already. You just don't know it because it's written in katakana. If you know English and katakana, you should be fine.

By the way, with knowledge of both English and katakana, you would be able to understand and play most Japanese games. The main exception is heavy dialogue, usually found in RPGs. PSO2 story mode is not crucial so that's not a big deal.

I honestly just don't have the patchence to learn katakana myself just for one game. Besides, just killing the english patch is kinda destroying all of the efforts of AIDA and co.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:49 PM
A good player would learn Japanese obviously.
Go home and be a family man Yankee.

-_- Learning japanese is easier said than done especially when I already have exams left and right. I just don't have the time to learn yet another thing.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 8, 2014, 06:49 PM
Oooh and one time we had over 9000 Crystals when last wave started in TD2. WTF
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/f/f2/VegetaBigEyes%28BoG%29.png

Sayara
Apr 8, 2014, 06:55 PM
-_- Learning japanese is easier said than done especially when I already have exams left and right. I just don't have the time to learn yet another thing.

Then you don't deserve to play a japanese game.
http://i1.minus.com/ibatrT8lWowTWb.bmp

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 06:57 PM
*facepalm* I have full right to play a japanese game! Just because I have to use an english patch doesn't mean I have any less right! Get your facts right!

mctastee
Apr 8, 2014, 07:10 PM
*facepalm* I have full right to play a japanese game! Just because I have to use an english patch doesn't mean I have any less right! Get your facts right!

You don't really have a right to play this game. It's more of a privilege.

Also, Nitro comes through again.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 07:11 PM
Besides, just looking at the katakana alphabet gives me a headache. I can kinda gather how each character works though. I repeat, I KIND OF understand.

FireswordRus
Just wait a moment, we are remove nooby B-20 from ship

tuxdude143
Good point. Privlage more than right.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 07:14 PM
Ok, I kinda get how katakana works. Their words are spelt how they sound in english. Makes a lot more sense now I guess.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 07:23 PM
So a basic word like banana would come out as バナナ in katakana with バ making the Ba sound and
ナ making the na sound.

Sega would be セガ with セ making the Se sound and ガ making the ga sound.

Am I on the right track here?

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 08:17 PM
So a basic word like banana would come out as バナナ in katakana with バ making the Ba sound and
ナ making the na sound.

Sega would be セガ with セ making the Se sound and ガ making the ga sound.

Am I on the right track here?

Yep. See how easy it is? Once you get a rough idea of how to read them, if you play PSO2, your reading speed will quickly improve.

When I started PSO Blue Burst JP ver, I could barely read basic Jp chars (and very slowly) and I only knew a handful of random Jp words from watching anime. That was enough to play the game, and my Jp language skills improved by continuing to play the game.

gigawuts
Apr 8, 2014, 08:28 PM
I learned katakana in literally 2 days.

I mean, I started on like a tuesday or whatever, and by thursday I knew every character except wo and nu (wo having been phased out of popular use long ago, and nu just not being very frequently seen).

It is not hard.

You know how in Wheel of Fortune, they give you R S T L N and E because they're so common? Learn the common letters in katakana, and letters that begin words you can figure out. Good example: mo (モ). Mo is used in monomate. Learn the characters for mate - me i to (メイト). Figure out what other things are off of those few letters you know and see the most often.

PSO2 is really just one giant game of hangman after that. You already know how to pronounce most item names written in katakana. You can figure it out as you go.

Hiragana though? That was a right cunt.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 08:37 PM
Ouch. Yeah. Still at least I'm on the right track with katakana. The only thing worse than Hiragana though would be Kanji. Have fun learning over 1000 different characters!!

gigawuts
Apr 8, 2014, 08:49 PM
Oh, it's a whole lot more than 1000, but yeah.

Hiragana took me over a month of casual-ish, but still fairly attentive, effort. About the same effort I put into learning katakana. The issue? I...can't understand japanese.

Katakana was easy because I could fill in the blanks and understand it. Hiragana was horrible, because I couldn't make any logical jumps. I had to look up every individual hiragana character and go over it again and again. Also, half the characters look like other characters. Just a little dip, or a little line, or a little curl separates a ton of characters (I'm still thrown off by れ and ね if I don't think about it for a moment, then は/ほ and ま/も still require me to pause and think too).

I'm casually and slowly learning kanji. Just the ones I see frequently. The biggest issue with learning kanji is having to learn the symbols and the actual spoken pronunciations. Kanji and japanese are like two completely separate languages.

With other languages it's as easy as "this = that." With japanese it's "this = that and then it's written as 'fjasijdf' which is two kanji that mean completely different things when separated."

Gardios
Apr 8, 2014, 08:54 PM
I hope you're also learning stroke ordeeeeeeeeeer...

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 09:01 PM

I know about stroke order yes. I know its important to write certain parts of the character first and all of that.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 09:04 PM
Oh, it's a whole lot more than 1000, but yeah.

Hiragana took me over a month of casual-ish, but still fairly attentive, effort. About the same effort I put into learning katakana. The issue? I...can't understand japanese.

Katakana was easy because I could fill in the blanks and understand it. Hiragana was horrible, because I couldn't make any logical jumps. I had to look up every individual hiragana character and go over it again and again. Also, half the characters look like other characters. Just a little dip, or a little line, or a little curl separates a ton of characters (I'm still thrown off by れ and ね if I don't think about it for a moment, then は/ほ and ま/も still require me to pause and think too).

I'm casually and slowly learning kanji. Just the ones I see frequently. The biggest issue with learning kanji is having to learn the symbols and the actual spoken pronunciations. Kanji and japanese are like two completely separate languages.

With other languages it's as easy as "this = that." With japanese it's "this = that and then it's written as 'fjasijdf' which is two kanji that mean completely different things when separated."

Yeah, I get where your coming from. The thing with japanese is its one thing to be able to read it. Its a different ballgame entirely when it comes to understanding the spoken language!

Arksenth
Apr 8, 2014, 09:26 PM
Everyone!!!

Pretty Magical Girl Arksenth is here!

Sorry I'm late! Kyaaah! -head knock-

But I'm the heroine of this story!!!

Everyone shut up forever and love me!

-high kicks for no reason-

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 09:27 PM
Ok, to be honest katakana is easy peasy! I'll have the table of characters beside me for a bit to refer too so hopefully after a while I'll remember the characters!

HIT0SHI
Apr 8, 2014, 09:38 PM
*Yawn* Another day, another person bitching about block 20.
^ This.
http://i.imgur.com/7kTLfct.jpg

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 09:42 PM
^ This.
http://i.imgur.com/7kTLfct.jpg

May I say this to the image as well! Perfect image for the situation!

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 10:00 PM
Welp, I've pretty much figured out how kana works in 1 afternoon! Surprisingly it was crazy easy!

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 10:07 PM
Welp, I've pretty much figured out how kana works in 1 afternoon! Surprisingly it was crazy easy!

Now you just need to play PSO2 without the English patch, and all of that newly-learned katakana will become long term memory.

Congrats on being able to understand the majority of Japanese games now.

BIG OLAF
Apr 8, 2014, 10:16 PM

Would that really matter if you're just reading it on a video game? I'd imagine not.

Zysets
Apr 8, 2014, 10:21 PM
A friend of mine got me to try learning the language with him for fun, without classes, and just from available textbooks and online resources. I learned Hiragana and Katakana in less than a week, it's pretty easy. I ended up stopping after a month, mostly because language learning isn't really my thing, but my friend continued, and according to him, Kanji is also pretty easy if you actually want to learn the language. From my experience for the month I tried learning, the difficult part is grammar, since it's pretty different from English, but it's all about getting used to it apparently.

gigawuts
Apr 8, 2014, 10:25 PM
Learning another language isn't difficult, so much as tedious. There's lots of work. Think about it: For every word you know, you need to learn a new word.

That adds up fast. The initial learning curve is also usually steep - look at all of the words I've used in this post. Even if I used super simple and common words, I'd still have to have learned the basics before I could even begin - "the," "I," even "language." I'd need to know the basics of grammar and sentence structure, too.

When you get over the first few steps, the rest flows fairly easily. Then it's just a matter of staying with it.

The only reason any of us think learning a language is hard is because either A. we took a language in highschool and hated it, which meant we did badly, or B. we haven't tried.

Inazuma
Apr 8, 2014, 10:26 PM
I can't write Japanese by hand whatsoever. Not even katakana. I'm sure I could learn how, but I don't have any use for it. Unless I write it on a regular basis, I would just end up forgetting it. I can read and type Japanese well enough to play PSO2 at least.

I used to know a considerable amount of Spanish but then I didn't use it for many years and forgot everything. Use it or lose it.

Zysets
Apr 8, 2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah that was my issue, I wasn't as dedicated to it as my friend. He actually wanted to learn the language, while I really had to real need or want to learn it. It's definitely about dedication.

gigawuts
Apr 8, 2014, 10:31 PM
I've actually had mixed results learning several languages in school. I lived in an area that had german, and breezed through that so easily that it was the easiest A I'd had in years.

Then I moved to an area that didn't have german available, so I took spanish. At 7 AM. I wanted to take german. I didn't want to learn spanish. That went very, very badly.

Clearly, I was capable of learning another language; I just needed to give a slight fuck. If you care it is much easier.

Zysets
Apr 8, 2014, 10:36 PM
I'm in a Spanish course at my school right now, have been for the past 3 years, and let me tell you something, I'm bilingual and speak English and Spanish, but the textbook Spanish and the Spanish I've used throughout life can be really different at times. Fluency is also a lot about actually talking to people and learning the spoken language. It can be difficult if you have no one to practice with that already knows the language fairly well.

tuxdude143
Apr 8, 2014, 10:54 PM
Now you just need to play PSO2 without the English patch, and all of that newly-learned katakana will become long term memory.

Congrats on being able to understand the majority of Japanese games now.

Thank you very much! Here's hoping I can understand it all.

Vampy
Apr 8, 2014, 10:58 PM
Hmm... Seems doable but might be troublesome at first mainly. because I use spanish daily written and spoken and have some practice in mandarin from my time at school but if the rules for katakana are that easy I should be able to manage. Though having at conversation is out of the question for sure unless someone would be willing to teach me the basics and build up my skill the language.

Uncle_bob
Apr 8, 2014, 11:18 PM
What kind of losers still play on Ship 2 anyway?

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2014, 11:38 PM
I can't read Japanese whatsoever. Not even katakana. I'm sure I could learn how, but I don't have any use for it. Unless I read it on a regular basis, I would just end up forgetting it. I can read and type English well enough to play PSO2 at least.

And now you know why people don't learn japanese.

Inazuma
Apr 9, 2014, 07:42 AM
And now you know why people don't learn japanese.

PSO2 is a Japanese game. It seems silly to spend thousands of hours on a Japanese game, yet refuse to learn any Japanese. It's like the people who move to a different country and never try to learn the language.

Vampy
Apr 9, 2014, 10:44 AM
PSO2 is a Japanese game. It seems silly to spend thousands of hours on a Japanese game, yet refuse to learn any Japanese. It's like the people who move to a different country and never try to learn the language.

I agree 100% Sure we may not live there but we are exposed to the japanese culture and language every day. Doesn't seem all that unreasonable sure we never use it outside of that but it is still something nice while our time on there lasts. That said we need to give a damn if no we won't ever learn anything.

Zysets
Apr 9, 2014, 11:20 AM
I personally don't feel like it's worth investing time into learning a language because of video games, TV Shows, etc. If I learn a language I want to learn it because I want to talk to people who speak it, or want to visit a foreign country, or just for the sake of knowledge. It would be useful for imported games and such, but that's not culture or interaction. I feel like it would be a waste of something useful. That's why I never went through with learning it, I needed real motivation besides playing a video game.

Vampy
Apr 9, 2014, 11:29 AM
Just for a game is silly what I meant is while were are there we shouldn't limit ourselves to just our people try to make friends with the japanese as well. Gives incentive to learn the language and possibly of their culture and we can be the other way around if they are also willing to learn. Maybe I am just over thinking things.

Zysets
Apr 9, 2014, 11:37 AM
I've had some good old small talk with my limited Japanese before, and being able to really talk would be nice, but it just didn't stick with me. If you want to learn then go for it, it would really nice to talk to new people with a new language, learning something like this is actually fun if you really want too. But this is a game, and meeting people in a game could be different from meeting people in person.

tuxdude143
Apr 9, 2014, 03:44 PM
Well, spent some time yesterday practicing my katakana on a few japanese items I own. I had a super mario bros dot pin sprite kit and the title in katakana translated to "supa mario brazerez". Pretty fricking hillarious!

gigawuts
Apr 9, 2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's cool going back and being able to read things you've had for years.

A lot of katakana is an approximation. Certain sounds can't actually be made with katakana, so they go with something similar. In one word they'll go one way, in another word they'll go another way. I've also noticed a lot of words will be written based on how they're spelled, instead of how they sound. Don't even ask me why the letter X is transliterated as キシ (kishi), like in axeon (アキシオン), I have nfi. And cake? It's ケーキ (cakie? cakey?). I can't even.

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2014, 03:49 PM

A country where everyone you interact with speaks english, all the signs are in english, and you spend an average of half an hour a day awake.

And "refuse to learn any Japanese" assumes I'm applying effort into not learning it. In actuality, I will need to sacrifice things I value much more to learn a language I'll never use. Already it takes me too long to come out with a new chapter and compose a new song. Why would I want to increase that length?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 10, 2014, 06:47 AM
Yeah, it's cool going back and being able to read things you've had for years.

A lot of katakana is an approximation. Certain sounds can't actually be made with katakana, so they go with something similar. In one word they'll go one way, in another word they'll go another way. I've also noticed a lot of words will be written based on how they're spelled, instead of how they sound. Don't even ask me why the letter X is transliterated as キシ (kishi), like in axeon (アキシオン), I have nfi. And cake? It's ケーキ (cakie? cakey?). I can't even.
Doesn't Japanese have this weird thing where most of their words end in vowel sounds? Since cake has a silent vowel at the end (for English anyway) maybe that's why it's put there? Phonetically spelled (in Japanese) it's Kēki. (According to google translate anyway.)

gigawuts
Apr 10, 2014, 08:32 AM
Doesn't Japanese have this weird thing where most of their words end in vowel sounds? Since cake has a silent vowel at the end (for English anyway) maybe that's why it's put there? Phonetically spelled (in Japanese) it's Kēki. (According to google translate anyway.)

Only because most katakana ends in a vowel sound. They don't actually have consonants like english, barring a very tiny handful.

The K characters are ku, ke, ki, ka, and ko (ク, ケ, キ, カ, and コ). There's no plain old "k."

But, most transliterated words end in a U sound, which is often shortened to near silence in instances like these. Good example: Gunslash. It's transliterated as ga n su ra shu. Why is this a bit weird? There is no shu character. They take shi (シ) and add a yu to it (シュ), to modify the vowel sound (sort of like when we add a U after a Q in english, and it becomes a kwu kind of sound).

They make a point to have slash end in a U sound, but cake they make a point to have end in an I sound. I'm sure there's some kind of reason, but without knowing it it's just a bizarre thing.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 10, 2014, 12:58 PM
I was looking last night, and there's actually something called Kakku, which is apparently a night time slot on TV for Japan. Maybe they don't want to get it mixed up?

gigawuts
Apr 10, 2014, 01:07 PM
Well, that would be kaー ku, which would be pronounced kah ku. You'd want keー ku, which would be kay ku.

I just checked, and it seems both ケーク and ケーキ (keー ku and keー ki) mean cake.

So yeah. It's kind of a crapshoot at times.

Some words are transliterated based on the letters in the words, not the pronunciation. That makes it even more confusing. This is irritating with things like gemini - ジェミニ, je mi ni, which would be pronounced je mee nee, or pisces - ピスケス, pi su ke su, pronounced pee su ke su.

Then you get a word like earing, which is 100% based on how it's pronounced - イヤリング, or i ya ri n gu.

Sometimes blade is ブレード, bu reー do, sometimes it's ブレイド, bu re i do.

:-?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 10, 2014, 04:38 PM
Well, that would be kaー ku, which would be pronounced kah ku. You'd want keー ku, which would be kay ku.

I just checked, and it seems both ケーク and ケーキ (keー ku and keー ki) mean cake.

So yeah. It's kind of a crapshoot at times.

Some words are transliterated based on the letters in the words, not the pronunciation. That makes it even more confusing. This is irritating with things like gemini - ジェミニ, je mi ni, which would be pronounced je mee nee, or pisces - ピスケス, pi su ke su, pronounced pee su ke su.

Then you get a word like earing, which is 100% based on how it's pronounced - イヤリング, or i ya ri n gu.

Sometimes blade is ブレード, bu reー do, sometimes it's ブレイド, bu re i do.

:-?
mfw japanese
http://i.minus.com/iyQzoDyPmehla.gif

gigawuts
Apr 10, 2014, 05:02 PM
Yeah, it's a lot of estimates and guessing at times, but katakana is still a pretty great thing to know even if you completely ignore kanji and hiragana.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 10, 2014, 05:26 PM
I recognize like four symbols, but I can't actually put them to sounds because lolmemory.

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 10, 2014, 05:43 PM
b-20 is dumb
all about b-c

gigawuts
Apr 10, 2014, 05:53 PM
I recognize like four symbols, but I can't actually put them to sounds because lolmemory.

I started out with only a few characters, and the rest were easy to piece together with a reference sheet. I knew 3 letters in モノメイト - I knew モ, メ, and ト. That's mo, me, and to. mo _ me _ to. It's a consumable. Sounds like it might be monomate - check the sheet for ノ and イ being no and i, and see if you're right.

Also, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Pict-O-Graphix-Over-Japanese-Mnemonics/dp/0962813702/

Do the Look Inside thing and check out the pages on kana. That was very helpful for me with remembering a few.

The key ones that I started with and recall seeing a lot were:

a ア
ku ク
ka カ
te テ
to ト
me メ
fu フ
shi シ (not to be confused with tu ツ, you can tell by the angle of the notches and curl of the lower line)
n ン (not to be confused with so ソ, again you can tell by the angle of the notch - but also the how high the bottom line goes, it only reaches the top with so)

The rest you'll see around characters you know, and you'll be able to fill in the blanks. Remember these simple rules:
1. Vowels can be standalone, and are often used to finish other vowel sounds.
- Let's take thigh high, that would be pronounced "thai hai," so even if we don't know any other kana we can look for a vowel that's repeated. In this case it's サイハイ, sa i ha i. That's easy to guess at without knowing sa or ha. Double check the kana you don't know to be sure.
- Sometimes a u ウ is used after an o sound, like in the word show - shou ショウ. This can extend the o, or refine how it's pronounced.
2. Most katakana with a consonant will be followed by a vowel.
- The only real exceptions are n ン and sometimes u ウ, which is often used to simulate a W sound (wolgahda is ウォ, big U little O).
3. Little katakana change vowels.
- Sho is written with shi シ and a small yo ヨ, so ショ. Usually the little letter starts with the sound the big kana ends with, so shi will be followed by little kana started with a y sound.
- A little tu ツ is frequently used to make a short vowel (examples: ay エ like may vs. eh エッ like bread, ee イ like beat vs. ih イッ like bit). It's meant to modify the following character's pronunciation, but with english this is why it's used 90% of the time so I'm keeping it familiar for english speakers.
4. Katakana can't make some sounds. It won't always be perfect.
- One example: Th is often s (thigh -> sai サイ), but sometimes z (the -> za ザ)

Oh and one last thing
Characters are pronounced differently with the little bubble or lines over it.
Bubbles go pop, H turns into P.
The lines (called tenten) are like vibrations, they turn H into B, S into Z, SH into J, etc.

It was fun for me to learn katakana. I enjoy that sort of thing though, it might be less fun or feel like work for other people.

tuxdude143
Apr 10, 2014, 05:59 PM
B-C? Wot?