PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online 2 in 4K

PandoraFX
Apr 9, 2014, 11:10 AM
As the future of 4K gaming because more affordable due to new monitors being cheap and parts decreasing in price, is anyone willing to run PSO2 at 4K graphics?, Reasons?, what are your specs that you have or planning on to run it 4K?

I'm attempting to make a Mid-High PC build for a cheap 4K monitor i'm planning on purchasing soon; but seeing some benchmarks of how many frames you get running at 4K it is a big drop compared to running a game at 1980 x 1080, it also uses a bunch of Ram MB.

E.g on how much RAM usage and FPS is lost.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://images.pugetsystems.com/images/pic_disp.php?id=24895&width=800&height=800

http://images.pugetsystems.com/images/pic_disp.php?id=24891&width=601[/SPOILER-BOX]

Seems like I may need to invest some more money if i planning to play PSO2 4K + SweetFX + HQ AO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupw42W_dP4

The Walrus
Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 AM
Video is kind of blurry

pkemr4
Apr 9, 2014, 11:27 AM
will a FX8350 + OC'd Geforce 770 GTX handle it?

Inazuma
Apr 9, 2014, 11:33 AM
Frame rate is more important than resolution to me. If it was possible to run the game at 4k but also keep a steady 120 FPS, I might consider it. But before that, I'd rather run the game at 1080p at 120 FPS.

I hear a lot of news stories about modern console games having to reduce the frame rate to 30 fps in order to run at 720p or 1080p. Seems like the priorities are reversed to me.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 9, 2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah, 4K is more than twice the pixels of 1080p, so you're going to see a huge performance hit. I don't think most modern single GPU's would be able to handle 4k at maximum settings, maybe something crazy like a 680 overclocked or a GTX titan could do it.

I highly doubt I'll be upgrading to 4k anytime soon, we're still waiting for 1440p monitors to really hit the mainstream. There's some cheaper 4k monitors around but... you really do get what you pay for. I'd rather have 1080p with 120hz refresh rate and vivid colors than a cheap 4k panel that looks like crap.

PandoraFX
Apr 9, 2014, 11:39 AM

Y̶o̶u̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶4̶0̶-̶5̶0̶ ̶F̶P̶S̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶.̶ If you get about 160+ FPS average In the benchmark you'll reach at a decent area. Screen resolution on PSO2 seems to be less demanding compared to other PC games.

EDIT: Forget it, you need a stronger CPU and a GPU that has bit more strength.

If you have High Quality AO's though; then you might be have a bit of trouble trying to run the game at 4K

We need someone with a 4K monitor and a outstanding PC to test this.

Sizustar
Apr 9, 2014, 11:42 AM

No, I'm not sure if you can even handle 1440P

But the best way to tell is to just try it.
downsample your resolution to the resolution you want, run the game and see how it goes.

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2014, 11:50 AM
But I'm already running at 4k resolution.

Get with the times, son!

The Walrus
Apr 9, 2014, 11:53 AM
8k or gtfo

PandoraFX
Apr 9, 2014, 11:59 AM

Gimme your specs. How much frame do you get at 4K? Do you have AO running? So many questions.

Sizustar
Apr 9, 2014, 12:00 PM

Get with the times, son!

What resolution are you currently playing at?
And tried out Nvidia's new wonder driver?

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2014, 12:10 PM
Gimme your specs. How much frame do you get at 4K? Do you have AO running? So many questions.
i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz
16GB generic DDR3-PC3-12800
2x GTX 670s w/ 4GB VRAM (each, not combined)

Of course I'm running with SweetFX and AO. Unfortunately, while the FPS is at 60 most of the time, particle overdraw KILLS the framerate... however, this is true no matter what resolution I play at or how much AA I use. Just shitty optimization work (especially considering increasing the particle clipping distance is completely fucking trivial and has major gains for performance).

What resolution are you currently playing at?
And tried out Nvidia's new wonder driver?
I'm running at 1920x1080 but using 4x SGSSAA so it's effectively 4k resolution (blurrier yes, but I'll take it over dealing with more visible aliasing).

Of course I can also choose to just downsample from 4k resolution but then it's impossible to take screenshots without the game crashing (or the screenshots never get taken at all), so I don't really bother.

And yeah, I'm using Nvidia's new driver, but with a game like PSO2 nothing's really changed - particle overdraw is still the #1 reason for frame dips.

PandoraFX
Apr 9, 2014, 12:27 PM
i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz

i5 2500K 4K'ing games? I feel like I shouldn't buy an i7 4770K now knowing that an a second generation i5 can 4K a game. Unless the i7 fourth generation will help drastically with frame rate.

Definitely now seems at this rate my future specs are not going to cope with 4K.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 PM
I can run 4k benchmarks on an overclocked Phenom II 1100T, it's more of a matter of playing at 4k with other settings pushed to the limit.

Sizustar
Apr 9, 2014, 12:33 PM
i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz

Of course I'm running with SweetFX and AO. Unfortunately, while the FPS is at 60 most of the time, particle overdraw KILLS the framerate... however, this is true no matter what resolution I play at or how much AA I use. Just shitty optimization work (especially considering increasing the particle clipping distance is completely fucking trivial and has major gains for performance).

I'm running at 1920x1080 but using 4x SGSSAA so it's effectively 4k resolution (blurrier yes, but I'll take it over dealing with more visible aliasing).

Of course I can also choose to just downsample from 4k resolution but then it's impossible to take screenshots without the game crashing (or the screenshots never get taken at all), so I don't really bother.

And yeah, I'm using Nvidia's new driver, but with a game like PSO2 nothing's really changed - particle overdraw is still the #1 reason for frame dips.

So I'm currently playing at 1440P downsampling, and using 16xS(2xSS+4x MS) AA and AO high quality...

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2014, 12:46 PM
i5 2500K 4K'ing games? I feel like I shouldn't buy an i7 4770K now knowing that an a second generation i5 can 4K a game. Unless the i7 fourth generation will help drastically with frame rate.

Definitely now seems at this rate my future specs are not going to cope with 4K.
I think you don't understand something:

What determines whether or not you can reach 4k resolution is almost entirely dependent on your GPU. Your CPU is pretty much a non-factor here because resolution is heavily GPU-bound. At LOWER resolutions and higher framerates, that's when your CPU becomes really important, but when you're just trying to push more pixels how in the world is the CPU going to affect that?

Gama
Apr 9, 2014, 01:04 PM
i woul, but i dont have the screen or pc for it.

:3

Coreven
Apr 9, 2014, 01:53 PM
Pic related (http://puu.sh/82l5B.png) already lags quite a bit when there're a lot of explosions and shit happening in 1080p with 4xMSAA & 4xSGSSAA, I don't think I'll be making the leap to fucking TITAN Z yet.

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 9, 2014, 02:23 PM
my laptop lags just from playing the video, so no

edit: but once i get into college, maybe. One of the main reason i play pso2 is for its perfectly balanced anime aesthetics

DJcooltrainer
Apr 9, 2014, 02:46 PM
Pic related (http://puu.sh/82l5B.png) already lags quite a bit when there're a lot of explosions and shit happening in 1080p with 4xMSAA & 4xSGSSAA, I don't think I'll be making the leap to fucking TITAN Z yet.

Dat CPU temp tho... is this at full load? Stock cooler? I know the Haswell chips run 'hot', but damn... that's worse than the Prescott Pentium 4's. How much does it bring up the ambient temps in your case?

Coreven
Apr 9, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yep. Overclocked, full load, stock cooler. I'll be buying an aftermarket cooler when I get a Broadwell later on. It'd be at about 15 Celsius less if I put it back to stock clock, but if I can squeeze out the increase I'm gonna go ahead and do just that. And I have no clue about the ambient temps, but let's say I don't have to worry about winter heating.

Aeris
Apr 9, 2014, 09:03 PM
Dat CPU temp tho... is this at full load? Stock cooler? I know the Haswell chips run 'hot', but damn... that's worse than the Prescott Pentium 4's. How much does it bring up the ambient temps in your case?

They run "hot" because on Ivybridge (3rd gen) and Haswell (4th gen) they used thermal paste under the tin lid chip rather than fluxless solider past 2nd gen Intel cpus and probably who knows that they will use later down the line and stock coolers are crap even on AMD chips so better off with a aftermarket cooling heatsink or watercooling.

TaigaUC
Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 PM
Frame rate is more important than resolution to me. If it was possible to run the game at 4k but also keep a steady 120 FPS, I might consider it. But before that, I'd rather run the game at 1080p at 120 FPS.

I hear a lot of news stories about modern console games having to reduce the frame rate to 30 fps in order to run at 720p or 1080p. Seems like the priorities are reversed to me.

Pretty much this. Everything looks peachy to me at 1920x1080.
But inconsistent or extremely low frame rates make me feel sick.

4k just strikes me as an attempt to market something "bigger and better" to us, because 3d already seems to have fallen into the abyss.
From what I've heard, most people can't tell the difference between frame rates, so the simpler and obvious choice was to go for the "larger resolution".

4k likely eliminates the need for anti-aliasing and such, but I will just wait until it can keep a consistently high frame rate.

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2014, 11:56 PM
Man, I don't believe for a second that people can't tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

Although, to be fair, I suppose it also depends on the screen size and what kind of content you use to demo it...

DJcooltrainer
Apr 9, 2014, 11:56 PM
Yep. Overclocked, full load, stock cooler. I'll be buying an aftermarket cooler when I get a Broadwell later on. It'd be at about 15 Celsius less if I put it back to stock clock, but if I can squeeze out the increase I'm gonna go ahead and do just that. And I have no clue about the ambient temps, but let's say I don't have to worry about winter heating.

Yeah I decided to look up some operating temps online, and yours isn't even that bad from what I've been reading. Might be nice to run in the winter time to keep your bedroom warm, haha. I can see why people are always trying to de-lid this things.

chaoko99
Apr 10, 2014, 01:54 PM
i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz

HOW. EXPLAIN. THE SWEETFX GUIDE DOESNT WORK.

reptile7383
Apr 10, 2014, 07:00 PM
Man, I don't believe for a second that people can't tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

Only if you it videos side by side. I can't tell when I'm just gaming.

ZER0 DX
Apr 11, 2014, 02:11 AM
My PC should be able to handle 4k just fine but I only have a 1080p monitor right now. I'm probably not going to be buying into any 4k displays just yet because 8k is literally right around the corner. Definitely gonna need to upgrade for that though.

...And more than likely smash a few walls down because that thing will be huuuuuuuuuuge.

Sizustar
Apr 11, 2014, 02:36 AM
My PC should be able to handle 4k just fine but I only have a 1080p monitor right now. I'm probably not going to be buying into any 4k displays just yet because 8k is literally right around the corner. Definitely gonna need to upgrade for that though.

...And more than likely smash a few walls down because that thing will be huuuuuuuuuuge.

Or you can downsample~

Husq
Apr 11, 2014, 12:21 PM
Personally I don't think 4k is worth it at the moment, wait until nvidia's maxwell and amd R9 300 series are out before thinking about building a 4k capable machine, since both are still dated for this year.
One thing I want to point out is 21:9, unlike going from a 16:9 1080p to 16:9 2160p, ultra widescreen seems to give you more noticeable difference while gaming. You can down sample, of course you will get black bar in that case, to see how much impact that makes, compare to just a massive bump in resolution.
I don't think there are any 5120x2160 monitors announced, but you should be able to get 3440x1440 screens soonish, but if you have something like a gtx770 (2GB) a 2560x1080pp will do just fine.

Rayden
Apr 11, 2014, 01:10 PM
Having 120 Hz is much more important to me than having a high resolution, but I'd love to have both. Are there any 4k 120 Hz monitors being sold yet?

DJcooltrainer
Apr 11, 2014, 01:11 PM
Having 120 Hz is much more important to me than having a high resolution, but I'd love to have both. Are there any 4k 120 Hz monitors being sold yet?

Nope, you can't even find 1440p monitors in 120hz. There's been a few people out there who have been able to 'overclock' them, but that sounds like a huge pain in the ass and it shortens the lifespan of the panel. Probably the main reason I've stuck with 1080p thus far. (That, and cost.)
EDIT: Actually, there are some around, but they only run 120hz when in 1080P or less :P.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 13, 2014, 07:36 AM

Although, to be fair, I suppose it also depends on the screen size and what kind of content you use to demo it...
I believe it. It's when people say they can't tell between 30 and 60 that I get mad.

Also, 4K seems excessive, for a game that's technically from like 2008.