PDA

View Full Version : BETA FOR PSO 2 IN ENGLISH

Tsuru
Apr 10, 2014, 07:58 PM
GUESS WHAT GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

BETA FOR PSO 2 IN ENGLISH IS ON !!!!
I got a e-mail from Asia-soft online playpark !
The thing is i played with one of their game and they sent me one of their e-meil pso 2 beta advertisement (i don't have beta key yet but still).
And shame on me because i played RO2 from them. (totally crappy if you know it)

http://pso2.playpark.com/en/pledge4pso2/keyActivation.html?utm_source=pso2&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=beta

Nice thing right?
But the biggest ever trial i think there is, is...... *drums playing* will they keep the japanese voices? Not sure i will play their game if the voices is in english but i think they will keep them (RO2 exemple). I don't want to hear Kuna in english damnit ! I bet it will ruin lot of things in my head.

But i feel sick just thinking how i will need to play one of their game again.... urg.... (it's like having steam on my computer). Didn't it happen to you once in your life where you needed to do something you have sworn to never ever again do it? or just plain do it even though you have sworn to not do it?

PS: Sorry if i am in the bad section (yep needed to post a new thread) but i wanted you guys specially you AIDA ! (for all your hard work) to be the first ones to know about it ! (or not if you have already known).

P-PS: i have often a habit to often use () when i write my bad.

P-P-PS: i got the mail the 08/04/14.

Zipzo
Apr 10, 2014, 09:47 PM
What's with all these folks popping up lately acting like this shit is news.

Yes, we know a sub-quality crap company got the rights to publish PSO in English to only a few southeast Asian regions.

Stickboy
Apr 10, 2014, 09:56 PM
i logged in to jew ppl with those costumes by putting it 100k meseta
then i realized it only runs for 3 days

Apr 10, 2014, 10:02 PM
Just how many of these threads are we gonna see..?

Between the IP block, the costume binding and the horrid translations, it's not something to get too excited about.

Gardios
Apr 10, 2014, 10:07 PM
Why does no one post screenshots of the quality translations for our amusement though

TaigaUC
Apr 10, 2014, 10:10 PM
OMGZ GAIZ PSO2 INENGLESH FINALY

SHIT! BAN WHY!

CyberMan
Apr 10, 2014, 11:04 PM
i need some screen from this version.

Rehal
Apr 10, 2014, 11:25 PM
Hu skill tree
[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/832PU[/SPOILER-BOX]

Xion matterboard
[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/8387z[/SPOILER-BOX]

TACO
[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/83fyK[/SPOILER-BOX]

The translations seems pretty good, though they butchered every names to the point of incomprehensible

[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/848IO.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/PFNMLgN.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Also braver reserved for future "Like us on facebook to unlock this secret class!"
[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/832YS[/SPOILER-BOX]

Takatsuki
Apr 10, 2014, 11:53 PM
Mmm... Pudding...

Okay but seriously what? You need to like them on FB to unlock Braver? That's awful.

Vintasticvin
Apr 11, 2014, 12:15 AM

Yes, we know a sub-quality crap company got the rights to publish PSO in English to only a few southeast Asian regions.

You don't have to be a jerk about it Zippy. Maybe they have been away from the PS scene since the end of Psu or Pso1 y'know and were excited so they wanted to tell the world or here not knowing we already knew.

blace
Apr 11, 2014, 12:18 AM
You don't have to be a jerk about it Zippy. Maybe they have been away from the PS scene since the end of Psu or Pso1 y'know and were excited so they wanted to tell the world or here not knowing we already knew.

Except a lot of these threads are just repeating themselves. I mean we had this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218416) that was made 5 days ago.

It wouldn't be so bad if the things people are creating threads for are new, but they're all getting repetitive with the same 'news'.

Vintasticvin
Apr 11, 2014, 12:25 AM
Except a lot of these threads are just repeating themselves. I mean we had this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218416) that was made 5 days ago.

It wouldn't be so bad if the things people are creating threads for are new, but they're all getting repetitive with the same 'news'.

Same could be said about the arguments here ya know they can at least present new facts instead of being repetitive. The only thing I can suggest is if the mods place this news on the front page letting visitors know that theres going to be pseudo official English release of Pso2.

But as the history of this site goes not many listen.

Dark Matter
Apr 11, 2014, 12:38 AM

I always thought that it was because of the overall the commercials, reviewers, the hype, and the collaborations from the jp version that lured people in. From these means of advertisement it meant more people will join the community ;unfortunately, not with the freshest news. Recently i've heard about people just now hearing about this game even though they've played psu and the rest of the series. A few also questioning when the NA version is coming out :disapprove:

most likely i'm wrong but meh

CyberMan
Apr 11, 2014, 01:27 AM
the font is piece of sh*t.

Vetur
Apr 11, 2014, 05:30 AM
They shoulda hired Aida to translate for them, or pay for her translations. XD

CyberMan
Apr 11, 2014, 06:01 AM

LOL! You're right!

Lostbob117
Apr 11, 2014, 07:25 AM

... I'm not even going to bother.

ThePendragon
Apr 11, 2014, 03:55 PM
Uh, based on those screens, the translations seems fine. Aside from the names.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 04:00 PM
it's like having steam on my computer

fucking bullshit intrusive DRM omg

Zyrusticae
Apr 11, 2014, 04:25 PM
The actual dialogue translations look really good.

It's the names that are a crime against humanity (and the English language). It's a shame we can't have both.

I do like the use of "hostiles" and "operatives" in place of "enemies" and "ARKS members". Should subsume that into the fan translation.

Gama
Apr 11, 2014, 04:26 PM
i LOL'D hard at the translations.

how to murder a franchise.

make everything special about it bland, unoriginal and dumb.

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 11, 2014, 04:50 PM
TACO
[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/83fyK[/SPOILER-BOX]
Oh look
They got Chrotos name right

Code-red
Apr 11, 2014, 04:52 PM
thats probably the only thing that was translated right most of the other stuff..... well they could had hired a better translator, instead of winging it.

Lostbob117
Apr 11, 2014, 05:35 PM
Btw, there are translations that The EN patch are going to be taking, a lot of them are good.

Yden
Apr 11, 2014, 06:07 PM
thats probably the only thing that was translated right most of the other stuff..... well they could had hired a better translator, instead of winging it.

Well there's probably a good portion of the SEA market that doesn't have much if any past experience with the Phantasy Star series so some of these changes were most likely made with that in consideration. One of the big things about localization is tailoring it towards the market you're localizing it to.

landman
Apr 11, 2014, 06:34 PM
It's a shame we can't have both.
It's easier to make a patch to change some names than one that changes thousands of lines in the game...

Kion
Apr 11, 2014, 06:42 PM
Btw, there are translations that The EN patch are going to be taking, a lot of them are good.

Seems like it might be a good idea to grab all of the lobby chat, message packs, tutorials if that's possible.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 06:43 PM
It's easier to make a patch to change some names than one that changes thousands of lines in the game...

Well I sure hope nobody is going to patch SEA just to change the names around

Gardios
Apr 11, 2014, 06:56 PM
The translation is surprisingly good. I wonder if they managed to get SoA's translation or hired an actual translator this time around.

Macman
Apr 11, 2014, 06:59 PM
Only thing I like from the SEA version of Paradigm Matrix. Sounds way better than Matter Board.

Vetur
Apr 11, 2014, 09:27 PM
Xion: I and we have a message.

Quality translation right there.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 09:28 PM
Quality translation right there.

That's exactly what she says though

Totori
Apr 11, 2014, 11:02 PM
The locations do have a better translation, rough translations aren't always the best way to go.

Stickboy
Apr 11, 2014, 11:25 PM
are you gonna take few translated things from SEA to JP, 'cuz some of them are quite good

Lostbob117
Apr 11, 2014, 11:26 PM
are you gonna take few translated things from SEA to JP, 'cuz some of them are quite good

Yes, the EN Patch is going to take some, most likely.

Totori
Apr 11, 2014, 11:32 PM
Besides the class name change, odd PA name changes, everything else is kinda on point. Doesn't seem like it should be that much of a debate, as their is a great change NA PSO2's translation might be closer to PSO2 SEA.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 11:33 PM
You missed April Fools switching everything over to the SEA official localizations

Lostbob117
Apr 11, 2014, 11:33 PM
Lostbob always likes to jump the gun on these sort of things. We're in discussions about what we're going to use, and what we're not going to. We're not going to use anything ridiculous, like Wizard. We may use some of the enemy names, and we'll probably pad the patch with fixed/formatted versions of some of their stuff. (Just the extra fluff though, like english client orders, NPC chatter, etc.)

Espio said what I said himself pretty much!

Admittedly, some of the SEA localizations are actually kind of good, so you can expect them to come up for vote for usage in the patch.

Squall179
Apr 11, 2014, 11:40 PM
Would be REALLY nice to see Hostiles and Operatives used, as mentioned before, in place of Enemies and ARKS members though heh, Sounds closer to how PSZero referred to enemies.

yoshiblue
Apr 11, 2014, 11:50 PM
I believed it was mentioned once or twice.

Takatsuki
Apr 12, 2014, 12:26 AM
I'd prefer if you just kept things accurate to the original Japanese dialog. Plus it keeps people from being confused.

Zipzo
Apr 12, 2014, 01:22 AM
Yeah I'm not exactly sure why the Asiasoft names would be up for vote in the first place...?

Pneuma
Apr 12, 2014, 04:27 AM
Which is why I attempted to clarify what Lostbob said ambiguously - If we use any of their translations, it'll be some of the enemy names.

Personally I prefer all the current names. It would be too confusing to relearn all the monster names .-.

All we would really need from the PSO2sea is the story translations

Squall179
Apr 12, 2014, 04:35 AM
PSZero referred to enemies as hostiles?

Yeah, it was mentioned Several times, classifying enemies as Hostiles Specifically instead of just saying Enemies.

Rakurai
Apr 12, 2014, 04:58 AM
I'm a little afraid to see what they end up doing to the exchange shops.

You can bet the rates are going to be worse then in the original version, and it wouldn't surprise me if some items were just missing completely.

Totori
Apr 12, 2014, 06:25 AM
Yeah I'm not exactly sure why the Asiasoft names would be up for vote in the first place...?

They are honestly closer to what PSO2 NA might end up having the names as.

lnvisible
Apr 12, 2014, 10:55 AM
If even enemy names were changed it would be a hassle. Cirnopedia would have to be updated with the newly used names etc;. Too much work for no real reason. What we have now works fine.

Zipzo
Apr 12, 2014, 11:41 AM
They are honestly closer to what PSO2 NA might end up having the names as.

PSO2 NA doesn't exist. It won't exist. Even if it did, that doesn't make its name choices canon.

Natsu Nem
Apr 12, 2014, 12:37 PM
Which is why I attempted to clarify what Lostbob said ambiguously - If we use any of their translations, it'll be some of the enemy names.

Breadicarda is a go?

King_Rappy
Apr 12, 2014, 09:49 PM
The SEA version's enemy names mess up their b's and p's a lot. It makes me think that the person they had translating them has a ridiculously poor grasp on Japanese.
Lillipur and the area names seem to be the ones Sega of Japan uses though judging by the soundtrack.
I wonder if they'll localize the references to past Phantasy Star games, like Fal Claw to Rika's Claw? Even PSU a and the patch failed at doing that. They should get people familiar with the past games to do localization.

Or me. C'mon AsiaSoft, hire me!

Zipzo
Apr 12, 2014, 10:09 PM
The SEA version's enemy names mess up their b's and p's a lot. It makes me think that the person they had translating them has a ridiculously poor grasp on Japanese.
Lillipur and the area names seem to be the ones Sega of Japan uses though judging by the soundtrack.
I wonder if they'll localize the references to past Phantasy Star games, like Fal Claw to Rika's Claw? Even PSU a and the patch failed at doing that. They should get people familiar with the past games to do localization.

Or me. C'mon AsiaSoft, hire me!

They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Localization isn't always that flexible.

EDIT : mistake on Rika's Claw.

King_Rappy
Apr 12, 2014, 10:16 PM
They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Just as Rika's claw's Japanese given name was Rika's claw. Localization isn't always that flexible.

It's ファルクロー in both PSO and PSO2. "Fal Claw". Fal is Rika's original Japanese name. Localization is carrying over the author's intent to another culture. So while transliterating the Japanese name isn't a wrong translation, it doesn't convey the reference to PSIV to your average English speaking player who is familiar with the classics. That's not conveying the intent and therefore not localization. It's like a less extreme version of PSZ's Rab Rappy instead of Love Rappy.

Zipzo
Apr 12, 2014, 10:23 PM
It's ファルクロー in both PSO and PSO2. "Fal Claw". Fal is Rika's original Japanese name. Localization is carrying over the author's intent to another culture. So while transliterating the Japanese name isn't a wrong translation, it doesn't convey the reference to PSIV to your average English speaking player who is familiar with the classics. That's not conveying the intent and therefore not technically localization, just romanization.

It's a romanization of Katakana. Katakana isn't exactly an interpretive means of translation aside from spelling.

Nobody has the weapon in SEA Asia yet, maybe they called it Rika's Claw? You don't even know yet.

ZER0 DX
Apr 12, 2014, 10:23 PM
They are references completely by appearance. Why does it matter what the name is? Besides it's Japanese given name in PSO2 is Falclaw. Just as Rika's claw's Japanese given name was Rika's claw. Localization isn't always that flexible.

Pretty sure Rika's Claw was never used in any Japanese PS game since the weapon itself is based off of the weapons the character Fal used from PSIV, who happened to have her name localized as Rika.

It's always been Falclaw in Japan, PSO's localization just decided to roll with PSIV's localization for the name of the claw while PSU's (and PSO2's patch) stuck with the original Japanese name of it.

Zipzo
Apr 12, 2014, 10:25 PM
Yeah I made a mistake on the PSO name.

Still though, if you want things to e cute and Easter egg-ey you should ask TE translation patch team to make those references.

King_Rappy
Apr 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
It's a romanization of Katakana. Katakana isn't exactly an interpretive means of translation aside from spelling.

Nobody has the weapon in SEA Asia yet, maybe they called it Rika's Claw? You don't even know yet.

Its precicely because katakana isn't very intuitive that a decent localization team is needed for these things. And yeah, I don't know yet. That's exactly what I was wondering in my original post!

Ezodagrom
Apr 12, 2014, 10:31 PM
Cirnopedia would have to be updated with the newly used names etc;
Some enemy names in cirnopedia are different than in the english patch as it is now anyway, like Big Varder (cirno) - Big Vardha (patch), or Breu Ringahda - Blu Ringahda.