PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 How would you describe PSO2 to someone who has never played a PS game?

DJcooltrainer
Apr 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
A had a friend stop by my house last night as I was finishing up an AQ with my friends, and he watched for a few minutes as we wrapped it up. He commented on how it looked like a really cool game, and said he'd be interested in trying it.

He's never played a Phantasy Star game before, so the best way I could think to describe it was 'Vindictus in space' since we used to play that game when it first came about.

How would you describe PSO2 to someone who has never played a PS game before? Furthermore, would you even recommend this game to someone who has no experience with the series?

Aslani
Apr 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
samurai space wife simulator 2014

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 11, 2014, 11:06 AM
Same exact way you described it, except you forgot to add that it's a space Loli dress up game as well.

Kilich
Apr 11, 2014, 11:06 AM
Show him a video, or two. One should be a combo video from the recent video contest though. And I know that most people won't play like in that video, but otherwise he might think that the gameplay is no deeper than "press RMB until all enemies are dead".

Also, I'd recommend it, if people in question are not big on pvp, top of the line graphics, or\and open world wow clones.

Friyn
Apr 11, 2014, 11:11 AM
Semi Korean(JP) grindfest, offers hardly any challenge. Repetivive due to lack of content, but a very fun game, especially in casual doses. If you mainly care about competing against other players, PSO2 is not for you.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 11:12 AM
F2P Japanese sci-fi multiplayer online action RPG

Jkid
Apr 11, 2014, 11:13 AM
Best way to describe PSO2 is it's basically "Diablo 3 in a science-fiction setting with a third person camera, and more action based."

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM
So it's not like D3 at all, except they both suck?

WildarmsRE5
Apr 11, 2014, 11:20 AM
oh my god, I really can't see Diablo 3 and this are even comparable.

it's like saying Farcry is like skyrim with guns.

gigawuts
Apr 11, 2014, 11:20 AM
Monster Hunter with less interesting weapon balance, less balanced flinch, and worse RNG.

Lostbob117
Apr 11, 2014, 11:21 AM
RPG that has shit design and is grindy as hell.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
I love how all of these descriptions of the game are incredibly unflattering... yet here we are, all still playing the game. PSO2 players act like drug addicts sometimes. They know what they're doing is terrible... but for some reason... you just can't stop.

jooozek
Apr 11, 2014, 11:25 AM
soapland the game
also
afkslotwhoring

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 11, 2014, 11:26 AM
The phantasy star game that doesn't play like phantasy star

Friyn
Apr 11, 2014, 11:27 AM
I love how all of these descriptions of the game are incredibly unflattering... yet here we are, all still playing the game. PSO2 players act like drug addicts sometimes. They know what they're doing is terrible... but for some reason... you just can't stop.

PSO2 has its flaws, but it's still a fun game. I mean just because I'm unhappy with issue X, doesn't mean I cannot enjoy the game. It's normal to yearn for change.

Dnd
Apr 11, 2014, 11:27 AM
Its not really that bad of a game, all things considered. Alot of peoples frustrations probably come from the fact it could be much better (for whatever reasons, in their opinions etc) so it tends to get put in a very negative light

Xaeris
Apr 11, 2014, 11:30 AM

Gamers are really their own worst enemies. Willing to complain on message boards, sign petitions, and do anything short of actually not buying and playing the game that is committing the sins they hold in such disdain. It's weird to me.

gigawuts
Apr 11, 2014, 11:33 AM

I won't lie, it really does look like that.

I came here hoping for PSO1 content, but got PSU.

I quit PSU because I had nobody to play it with, and because the content didn't cater to my lowbie char.

PSO2 catered to my level range, and I had people to play with. I mentally quit the PSO1 I expected (Many people I started PSO2 with couldn't distinguish what they wanted and what they got, so quit altogether), and stick around for the people I know and dressup dolls.

If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate didn't require a wii u to go online I'd have quit a year and a half ago, though.

UnLucky
Apr 11, 2014, 11:33 AM
Yes, we'll just not buy or play any game with any flaw or anything that could raise complaints.

Oh, you're right, it's so simple. All you have to do is stop being a gamer.

Xaeris
Apr 11, 2014, 11:36 AM
Yes, we'll just not buy or play any game with any flaw or anything that could raise complaints.

Oh, you're right, it's so simple. All you have to do is stop being a gamer.

Yeah...that's not what I said. A game doesn't have to be perfect and completely without flaws. However, if someone is asked to describe a game and the description they offer is overwhelmingly negative, I think it's fair to say they don't enjoy the game enough to be playing it.

Zipzo
Apr 11, 2014, 11:38 AM
I won't lie, it really does look like that.

I came here hoping for PSO1 content, but got PSU.

I quit PSU because I had nobody to play it with, and because the content didn't cater to my lowbie char.

PSO2 catered to my level range, and I had people to play with. I mentally quit the PSO1 I expected (Many people I started PSO2 with couldn't distinguish what they wanted and what they got, so quit altogether), and stick around for the people I know and dressup dolls.

If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate didn't require a wii u to go online I'd have quit a year and a half ago, though.

Me and my wife just bought a new 32Gb (Mario deluxe Bundle) Wii U with Monster Hunter 3 on the side from amazon, supposed to be here in a few days.

Did I just spell the end of my PSO2 career?

Triple_S
Apr 11, 2014, 11:40 AM
PSO2 isn't bad, it just has so much potential that ends up wasted because SEGA really doesn't seem to know how to balance it.

I still like it better than Monster Hunter though. I just wish the weapons in PSO2 had that level of variety.

EDIT: Zipzo, you'll probably love MH3U. It's definitely fun, and I need to get back into it. But it won't replace PSO2. Their pacing is very different, but their difficulty curve is pretty similar.

Rupikachu
Apr 11, 2014, 11:42 AM
I would describe it as a space anime convention. With a lot of lolis.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 11, 2014, 11:43 AM
PSO2 is a game where your focus on dressing your character up comes before playing the game itself, it's a free to play game with pay to play mechanics, it does not feel like any of the other games in the series at all, the action is very fun until you realize that all you have to do to kill anything is; Press and hold the tech button and walk sideways, flip and start mashing the infinity fire button, pretend to be a samurai after activating your invincibility that lasts for quite a bit of time, or join a party and blindly attack because everything is going to die anyways.

Pretty much what some of the people said already, monster hunter with no weapon balance, dress up your underage wife in space and go genocide with her and et cetera.

Oh I forgot to mention, the most evil and sadistic existence in any game is in pso2. [SPOILER-BOX]http://pso2blog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/dudubanner1.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

EDIT: I ended up quitting though, i was hoping for sega to at least try to make the game better, but all they gave us were half assed updates where they just tweak one skill, or one PA, and end up breaking the game more than it was before they started. This game needs some play testing.

gigawuts
Apr 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
Me and my wife just bought a new 32Gb (Mario deluxe Bundle) Wii U with Monster Hunter 3 on the side from amazon, supposed to be here in a few days.

Did I just spell the end of my PSO2 career?

I tried Monster Hunter Tri, the Wii game, years ago. I hated it. It's a lot of information to take on at first, and pretty bad for newbies.

I got MH3U for my 3DS because all of my old IRL PSO buddies loved MH, and highly recommended MH3U to everyone they knew. Not even one disliked it.

I can't normally play handhelds long, it gets uncomfortable.

I proceeded to sink > 300 hours into MH3U, on my 3DS, in 30 days, completely solo. I found a chair that let me stay comfortable while playing, because god damnit I wanted to keep playing it. It was much easier to start the series with, it gave you more to start with and streamlined the first few areas (which is really like a long tutorial, honestly). You get into the meat of the game much sooner.

I highly recommend it for anyone who likes PSO2's combat style - especially the melee. I only stopped playing because things get tedious on the highest difficulty. You have to be cautious and measure every step, too much effort for me.

Triple_S
Apr 11, 2014, 11:52 AM
Gonna say this right now: MH does stop getting challenging and becomes a "how fast can I/my group nuke this monster" game. Like PSO2, most of the endgame challenges basically revolve around massive-damage clusterfuck quests where the best strategy is instagibbing things before they do it to you, or self-imposed challenges/quests that emulate them (Deviljho in the buff, anyone).

Zysets
Apr 11, 2014, 11:53 AM
Bootylicious Battle Babes Online 2 with the occasional Bara character.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 11, 2014, 11:57 AM
Gonna say this right now: MH does stop getting challenging and becomes a "how fast can I/my group nuke this monster" game. Like PSO2, most of the endgame challenges basically revolve around massive-damage clusterfuck quests where the best strategy is instagibbing things before they do it to you, or self-imposed challenges/quests that emulate them (Deviljho in the buff, anyone).

That, And i also feel that after you collect everything you want the game seems to just lose all appeal. Or at least that happened to me when i fully upgraded every longsword, most greatswords, and every bow. Although challenging yourself was pretty fun until you start soloing alatreon easily.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 11, 2014, 12:02 PM
You might like PSO2 if you enjoy the following:
1. Space
2. Loli waifus
3. Buying lottery tickets
4. Playing dress up
5. Sitting around doing nothing
6. Grindfests

Jokes aside, I do think it is a fun game to play, even though it has its flaws. I think I'll help him sign up, he does enjoy a grindy RPG.

Xaeris
Apr 11, 2014, 12:04 PM
Bootylicious Battle Babes Online 2 with the occasional Bara character.

Fft, what booty?

Come to think of it, I didn't say how I'd describe it. I'd describe it as a relatively easy action RPG. I'd stress that class roles aren't important to the degree they are in other RPGs (i.e, no holy trinity) and that the appeal of the game is mostly in being flashy as hell. Not really a game for someone whose enjoyment of video games comes primary from achievements.

strikerhunter
Apr 11, 2014, 12:07 PM
You have to be cautious and measure every step, too much effort for me.

This is why I liked the MH series. Goddamit I need a DS!!!!!!

On topic:
I won't show my friends any game (even if it's good) if it is not a game that they are interested. And by that, I mean the type of game they like.

Vampy
Apr 11, 2014, 07:04 PM
I can't stand MH3U tri felt better to me because it felt like you were there for the long haul enemies took longer to kill staggered less did more damage. I think MH3U was what pso2 was to people who played past games a let down. I've been playing the series for almost 8 years.

The way I could describe it is an action rpg that is not too hard with a lot of dress up and appealing to a wide audience not just the people who played a long time. It's nicer to newer players but once you get comfortable it kicks your ass with the rng the lack of balance.

The Walrus
Apr 11, 2014, 07:13 PM
Tri didn't even go up to G-rank...

You cannot seriously be saying that High Rank Tri is harder than G-rank 3U.

Vampy
Apr 11, 2014, 08:31 PM
3U G rank feels like hr 51 on tri to me. I killed a G-rank deviljho with high rank gear in 12-15 minutes solo. Tri my fastest time with dark claw demise and hinata+ armor took me slightly more. My issue is if this is what I am doing with blue and green sharpness I would hate to imagine white and purple. You can say my experience from tri helped, but still it does not excuse them from making enemies so easy to kill especially knowing it would have a wii u port. It's not a bad game but it is a step down seeing as they built off mhp3rd not mh3. They just changed the village back to moga and made a few tweaks.

yoshiblue
Apr 11, 2014, 08:33 PM
Tri didn't even go up to G-rank...

You cannot seriously be saying that High Rank Tri is harder than G-rank 3U.

Figured it was just like Freedom Unite. Normal, Harder, G rank. Only Tri didn't have a G rank. Was nice that G rank had the older maps.

Chdata
Apr 11, 2014, 08:39 PM
I've never played a PS game before this.

It's anime the MMORPG.

Vampy
Apr 11, 2014, 08:46 PM
Figured it was just like Freedom Unite. Normal, Harder, G rank. Only Tri didn't have a G rank. Was nice that G rank had the older maps.

Tri did rank better 3U you felt you were naked again scrambling to make new armor just so could survive. 3U lacks that you can literally go from low rank to about mid G rank in early low rank armor with little to no issues. I hit high rank in tri I hardly stood a chance.

moorebounce
Apr 11, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'd just call it a F2P Sci-Fi Action RPG.

If the person is interested in it let them be the judge of how bad or good it is when they play it. Obviously something is good about it if you're still playing it. I don't know about you but I can't play games I don't like. I went to hell and back to try and like PSU but couldn't.

Vetur
Apr 11, 2014, 09:18 PM
Futuristic-themed action-based anime freemium MMOJRPG in space that has one of the best character customization and is not gender/height-locked, has housing, a story, and feels like a high quality ps2 game when played on a game controller.

Gama
Apr 11, 2014, 10:00 PM
i always say to my friends that it feels diferent from other games "liberty of movement kinda like on dmc series.