PDA

View Full Version : Would you use RaCast in super hard?

ChickenPlate
Apr 13, 2014, 11:53 PM
I remember back on Gamecube that the RaCast was vulnerable to running out of 'mates and mines for healing and when those were gone you had to telepipe out to get more.

I found that the RaMar, despite their lower damage output and less health, had a significantly higher survival rate in the heat of battle due to their ability with Resta spells.

Is PSO2 the same in that aspect? Or can the Cast race hold their own in the super hard difficulties? Can the RaMar still use the Resta spell?

RyanDanger
Apr 14, 2014, 12:01 AM
Class's can be changed with no draw backs. Race barely matters in this game for anything (so yes, they can hold their own in SH). Only the classes Te and Fo can use the Resta Spell.

You may want to go to the guides section and look at the class guide sticky

EDIT: follow this link http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010

Sanguine2009
Apr 14, 2014, 12:02 AM
casts can use techs, race has very little impact on anything other than how soon you can use a piece of gear(due to different base stats). most of your stats come from gear so those differences matter relatively little at cap assuming you dont mess up your mag

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 14, 2014, 12:06 AM
I've never played pso1, but from what I've heard and seen, pso2 is a complete different game in terms of mechanics, and defense/mates is not even necessary (there is no such things as tanking in pso2 , hunter isn't even a tanky class, but rather a slow
Moving useless main class but amazing subclass) because people instakill mobs in SH. SH mode is basically about who can obliterate mobs the fastest and most efficiently, and braver typically does that the best. Takes me 2 seconds to obliterate the mobs of natives in nab2 with Kanran + kC finish

Macman
Apr 14, 2014, 12:11 AM
These days almost all ranged-type players have a Guld Milla in their arsenal and don't even need to carry around mates.

Granted, if you were lucky enough to get a hold of a Guld Milla in PSO1, that was almost the same case.

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 14, 2014, 12:20 AM
OR if you're good enough, you can just never get hit and know how to slaughter mobs/bosses within seconds. I still find it more practical to use hyper offense as the best defensive, killing enemies the moment they spawn feels so much rewarding after all :3

Sanguine2009
Apr 14, 2014, 12:29 AM
you can always carry 2 mechguns though, one for offense and guld milla to top off your hp for perfect keeper or to face tank things with super armor PAs

Enforcer MKV
Apr 14, 2014, 12:29 AM
Er...if you're looking for a game where you actually have to think about your choices...

Don't play this game. This is nothing like PSO1, and it's much worse for it, from everything I hear.

Nothing even has a chance of fighting back a majority of the time, it's horrible for anyone who enjoys a challenge.

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 12:37 AM
Er...if you're looking for a game where you actually have to think about your choices...

Don't play this game. This is nothing like PSO1, and it's much worse for it, from everything I hear.

Nothing even has a chance of fighting back a majority of the time, it's horrible for anyone who enjoys a challenge.

PSO1 was pretty much like that though. Once you had experience with the game, challenge came from going as fast as possible. Same with PSO2, except that we're more mobile and thus harder to kill.

The game had a lot of literal instant-kill attacks to hurl at the player, though.

Macman
Apr 14, 2014, 12:41 AM
The game had a lot of literal instant-kill attacks to hurl at the player, though.
Mericarol, you cheap fucker...

Enforcer MKV
Apr 14, 2014, 12:43 AM
PSO1 was pretty much like that though. Once you had experience with the game, challenge came from going as fast as possible. Same with PSO2, except that we're more mobile and thus harder to kill.

I honestly haven't played the game myself. Hence my saying 'everything I hear'

I keep hearing about a game that actually threw stuff at the player that required some actual amount of skill or thought to defeat.

Which is nothing like this game. At all. It's sad.

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 12:47 AM
Mericarol, you cheap fucker...

Well that one reduced your health to 1, with no way to resist it other than casually jogging out of the way.

Megid just fucking killed you (and made you do the "cherry tap" falling over death to rub it in) if it procced, and enemies had Megid that was much more potent than the player IIRC (or at least the player's dark resist was nowhere near that of other enemies). It was fast, frequent, and way too many enemies in Ultimate had it. You could stack dark resist to negate it yes, but that wasn't something easy to do without some pretty big sacrifice.

PSU took PSO's Megid spam and dialed it up to fucking 20. It also had chain stun from Grants balls.

Sayara
Apr 14, 2014, 12:57 AM

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/268/f/c/PSOBB___Mil_Lily_by_Aldermar.jpg
Shall we talk about megid spam yet?

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 01:06 AM
Open quick menu, run away, curse at the screen

Coatl
Apr 14, 2014, 01:06 AM
PSO1 had a lot of cheap deaths.

milranduil
Apr 14, 2014, 01:17 AM
Well that one reduced your health to 1, with no way to resist it other than casually jogging out of the way.

Megid just fucking killed you (and made you do the "cherry tap" falling over death to rub it in) if it procced, and enemies had Megid that was much more potent than the player IIRC (or at least the player's dark resist was nowhere near that of other enemies). It was fast, frequent, and way too many enemies in Ultimate had it. You could stack dark resist to negate it yes, but that wasn't something easy to do without some pretty big sacrifice.

PSU took PSO's Megid spam and dialed it up to fucking 20. It also had chain stun from Grants balls.

No, in ULT, the slingshot that all of the Meri's shot (Mericarol, Merikle, etc.) all did infinite damage, i.e. no matter your HP it went straight to zero. They had a different attack that could bring you to 1 HP, but the slingshot in ULT was always 100% KO if it hit you.

Edit: To add to the list of dumb insta-deaths, groups of 4 Ill Gills in PW4 with no casts in your party. Good luck :wacko:

Edit2: Megid in PSU was pathetic. Vijeri/Resist. Done.

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 01:22 AM
No, in ULT, the slingshot that all of the Meri's shot (Mericarol, Merikle, etc.) all did infinite damage, i.e. no matter your HP it went straight to zero. They had a different attack that could bring you to 1 HP, but the slingshot in ULT was always 100% KO if it hit you.

Edit: To add to the list of dumb insta-deaths, groups of 4 Ill Gills in PW4 with no casts in your party. Good luck :wacko:

Huh, I don't remember that attack. I just remember the "reduce to 1 HP" one.

And I forgot about the Ill Gills, yeah. Fucking Megid scythe thing with a status attack that prevented movement. Seriously, someone must have shit in SEGA's Cheerios while they were designing the Towers.

MetalDude
Apr 14, 2014, 01:26 AM
PSO1 is much more focused on positioning, mostly because of the game's much stiffer and more committal feel to attacking forcing you to pick your attacks very carefully. PSO1's difficulty tends to come from either lack of preparation for spawns or a mistake in positioning/timing/weapon choice during more dangerous spawns.

WildarmsRE5
Apr 14, 2014, 06:01 AM
OR if you're good enough, you can just never get hit and know how to slaughter mobs/bosses within seconds. I still find it more practical to use hyper offense as the best defensive, killing enemies the moment they spawn feels so much rewarding after all :3oh, I'm so hipster for killing enemies Before they even spawn at all lol. (Ra/Hu, ClusterFuck Bullet)

much hipster 8-)

@ OP

Play as you want, nobody should stop you at what you're doing.

Te/Hu exists, Te/Fi exists, Ra/Te exists, it's just like playing the game on hard mode cause you need appropriate stuff to be viable.

Bravers is just plain easy mode cause you don't need much equipment though. (I'm not complaining, they're being not bad because of it.)

Gunners pretty much ROFL stuffs too.

Zipzo
Apr 14, 2014, 06:22 AM

PSO1 was at least slightly closer to the "Monster Hunter" format where the main element of the difficulty sort of came from your characters lack of mobility.

That's sort of what made PSO combat inherently challenging (before you out-leveled everything and had super epic gear). Controlling your character was tedious in sort of a..."fun"-ish way. Hard to explain. Mastering it was part of the skill curve.

Knock downs were just as retarded in PSO2 (5 second invulnerability until you're back on your feet), but damage was some what more stream lined and moderate in a way that you could be inflicted with bits of damage over time that would put pressure on you to perform better (except in the case of megid and Falz freezy shit with freeze resists).

A lot of the time I attribute how easy PSO2 is at least a little bit to the fact that our characters have so many combat options available. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing of course, the enemies we're fighting aren't scaling appropriately to that increased repertoire from game to game.

Vampy
Apr 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
Don't come in to this with a pso1 mindset or you will more than likely not enjoy your time on pso2 to it's full extent they are each their own entity.

Now on a side note I dislike using GM I won't do it as much as my friends say I should and just about every good gunner uses them I rather not it's not for me I like to have some challenge even if minimal. I don't want something to make my choice of playing caseal feel dirty. Of all my friends my affixes keep me from dying to just about anything in one shot but infected bosses or rare ones and falz butt stomp.

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 09:48 AM
Knock downs were just as retarded in PSO2 (5 second invulnerability until you're back on your feet), but damage was some what more stream lined and moderate in a way that you could be inflicted with bits of damage over time that would put pressure on you to perform better (except in the case of megid and Falz freezy shit with freeze resists).

I remember that if you didn't get knocked down in Ultimate, there was no invulnerability period at all and you could get destroyed in an instant. Certain attacks became far worse the moment you had the DFP to resist knockdown because they hit multiple times. Falz's buzz-saw things come to mind.

On the note of PSU Megid, I never could get a Vjieri/Resist. Plus it took a slot... I don't remember the units in the game but there were a lot of good ones to compete with each other.

gigawuts
Apr 14, 2014, 09:51 AM
I remember that if you didn't get knocked down in Ultimate, there was no invulnerability period at all and you could get destroyed in an instant. Certain attacks became far worse the moment you had the DFP to resist knockdown because they hit multiple times. Falz's buzz-saw things come to mind.

On the note of PSU Megid, I never could get a Vjieri/Resist. Plus it took a slot... I don't remember the units in the game but there were a lot of good ones to compete with each other.

You know what was hilarious?

Getting knocked down by exactly 25.0% hp, leveling up, and now staying up while taking 24.9% hp...multiple times.

Oh Sega.

Zipzo
Apr 14, 2014, 01:02 PM

...That was my entire point.

The more definitive example of this in practice was the Garanz Launcher missile attack. Knockdown was *preferrable* to not being knocked down. The point I was making was that the massive pretentious and arbitrary invulnerability on knock down in both PSO and PSO2 was and is stupid and is too big of a safety net. It makes getting hit a potentially insignificant risk unless you get one shot entirely because you can just stand up and heal, no worse for wear. In a lot of cases the combat feels balanced around it too. Even more fucking pedantic is flinching in this game. It's utterly retarded that *most* PAs don't posess super armor in my opinion.

Sayara
Apr 14, 2014, 01:19 PM
OMG DONT JELLEN SINOW BLUE AND RED
now that was fun multihit Bullshit.

gigawuts
Apr 14, 2014, 01:31 PM

The more definitive example of this in practice was the Garanz Launcher missile attack. Knockdown was *preferrable* to not being knocked down. The point I was making was that the massive pretentious and arbitrary invulnerability on knock down in both PSO and PSO2 was and is stupid and is too big of a safety net. It makes getting hit a potentially insignificant risk unless you get one shot entirely because you can just stand up and heal, no worse for wear. In a lot of cases the combat feels balanced around it too. Even more fucking pedantic is flinching in this game. It's utterly retarded that *most* PAs don't posess super armor in my opinion.

My long existing, but never actually posted, idea to solve this is something I actually suspect does exist but isn't really used to the extent that it could and should be...

Every enemy and player attack should have a flinch interruption threshold, and a flinch infliction amount. It should take an attack with 20 flinch to interrupt this normal attack, and 50 flinch to interrupt this PA.

This attack inflicts 20 flinch, and this next attack in the combo inflicts 25 flinch.

This would be why you can only interrupt some enemy attacks with some normal attacks. SpardanA thrusts for instance can't be interrupted by some normals, but others do interrupt them.

The problem is that they never actually gave enough variety to this. They kind of just blanketed everything. Set Sadinians shouldn't have the same flinching power as a mizer claw swipe, but they seem to. Set Sadinians shouldn't interrupt even normal attacks. Mizer swipes sure, but not little kids with swords. I can get interrupting a barehanded punch with light attacks since there's nothing there, but a slow Spargun bullet interrupting swinging a bigass greatsword? Momentum alone should keep that sword going regardless of if you get hit.

This change could be used to change a couple other things too. Knuckle Gear should increase your flinch interruption threshold, but still reset when you take a hit. You get to take one hit with the gear that you normally couldn't have. Things like that need to be put in this game.

Triple_S
Apr 14, 2014, 01:47 PM

Garanz, that was it. Was gonna bring that up but I forgot the name.

But no, I do agree that the invuln knockdown was dumb. But the alternative in PSO1 was a lot worse. That being said, if you're gonna have disabling attacks hitting players in a game like this, don't let them be chained. Nothing more frustrating than being essentially instagibbed because the one time you got hit, it knocked you over and you just got mauled before having a chance to escape.

Most melee PAs should have limited super armor - you can take a couple hits during them but anything heavy or being nailed by enough things will cancel it out and knock you back. Though I'd say katana PAs wouldn't. Maybe something like this could make those Double Saber PAs that would be good if they didn't take so long just that little bit better.

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd by giga.

...What? I got distracted while posting!

doomdragon83
Apr 14, 2014, 02:14 PM
My long existing, but never actually posted, idea to solve this is something I actually suspect does exist but isn't really used to the extent that it could and should be...

Every enemy and player attack should have a flinch interruption threshold, and a flinch infliction amount. It should take an attack with 20 flinch to interrupt this normal attack, and 50 flinch to interrupt this PA.

This attack inflicts 20 flinch, and this next attack in the combo inflicts 25 flinch.

This would be why you can only interrupt some enemy attacks with some normal attacks. SpardanA thrusts for instance can't be interrupted by some normals, but others do interrupt them.

The problem is that they never actually gave enough variety to this. They kind of just blanketed everything. Set Sadinians shouldn't have the same flinching power as a mizer claw swipe, but they seem to. Set Sadinians shouldn't interrupt even normal attacks. Mizer swipes sure, but not little kids with swords. I can get interrupting a barehanded punch with light attacks since there's nothing there, but a slow Spargun bullet interrupting swinging a bigass greatsword? Momentum alone should keep that sword going regardless of if you get hit.

This change could be used to change a couple other things too. Knuckle Gear should increase your flinch interruption threshold, but still reset when you take a hit. You get to take one hit with the gear that you normally couldn't have. Things like that need to be put in this game.
My goodness, I was just thinking about something similar because I started a new character recently. I noticed how slow Hunters are with swords, and yet they can invest the PP to use a PA and get flinched out of it. Even more annoying, there should absolutely be no reason for me to get flinched by taking 1 HP of damage; worse than that, why do many enemies have super armor for their attacks? Oodans have a little and not really an issue but Za oodans with their fetish for slinging rocks at you is dumb. You can circle around them, they'll unnaturally spin towards you anyway, yeah, you can attack the rock but the time frame is small and they can spawn in groups or have others attack you to "hold you in place" so you get hit with another attack.

I was thinking melee PAs or rather Hunter PAs shouldn't be unstoppable and they get more defense during the PA if they are going to remain slow, perhaps make a new skill for it.

But no, I do agree that the invuln knockdown was dumb. But the alternative in PSO1 was a lot worse. That being said, if you're gonna have disabling attacks hitting players in a game like this, don't let them be chained. Nothing more frustrating than being essentially instagibbed because the one time you got hit, it knocked you over and you just got mauled before having a chance to escape.

Most melee PAs should have limited super armor - you can take a couple hits during them but anything heavy or being nailed by enough things will cancel it out and knock you back. Though I'd say katana PAs wouldn't, though. Maybe something like this could make those Double Saber PAs that would be good if they didn't take so long just that little bit better.
Now that I think of it, we should take less damage if we are being combo'd. Fighting games already do this, why can't this one?
inb4 Sega

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd by giga.

...What? I got distracted while posting!
Happens to me too.

Sacrificial
Apr 14, 2014, 03:03 PM
Now that I think of it, we should take less damage if we are being combo'd. Fighting games already do this, why can't this one?

I don't know. Why would a second hit by lets say a quartz beam deal less damage than the first?

@ OP race doesn't matter. And if you really want to know I'm a RaCast and SH is still easy mode. As long as you use pp wisely and don't hurrdurr rush into a crowd.

gigawuts
Apr 14, 2014, 03:10 PM
I don't know. Why would a second hit by lets say a quartz beam deal less damage than the first?

Are you trying to tell me

That you're trying to apply real world logic

To lasers fired out of the mouths of dragons?

This is reason enough for why that would happen: Because video games.

Sacrificial
Apr 14, 2014, 03:38 PM
Everyone know dragons can shoot lasers out of their mouth =/
and the reason because video games works both ways. That's why we don't have it.

gigawuts
Apr 14, 2014, 03:44 PM
Everyone know dragons can shoot lasers out of their mouth =/
and the reason because video games works both ways. That's why we don't have it.

I didn't say it didn't work both ways, I just answered your rather silly question.

Coatl
Apr 14, 2014, 04:07 PM

This isn't really a fighting game though. So why should consecutive hits deal less damage? If you take damage, more than likely it's due to a miscalculation or misjudgement on your end. Or rather, you may have taken advantage of an opening and accepted damage in order to deal an even greater amount of damage back towards the enemy.

Sacrificial
Apr 14, 2014, 06:52 PM
I didn't say it didn't work both ways, I just answered your rather silly question.

yea.... it was meant to be silly and a rhetorical question. Guess it didn't work out the way I wanted hahaha.

Omega-z
Apr 14, 2014, 09:21 PM
Actually, PSU Megid wasn't that bad, If the attack did "0" damage no SE at all then you had the two resists Vijeri and Makarukaheshi; You could also be completely Megid proof with 40~42 STA.

Even PSU had less flinching to lesser attacks to no flinching even. Why PSO2 doesn't IDK!:-?

Macman
Apr 15, 2014, 01:16 AM
Instead EVP worked against you while you stopped your attacks to do this awkward block animation which fucked up your rhythm.

Zipzo
Apr 15, 2014, 01:37 AM
Instead EVP worked against you while you stopped your attacks to do this awkward block animation which fucked up your rhythm.

It was no different than just being hit, the only difference was with EVP at least you didn't take any damage.

Even if you didn't block you still flinched.

Macman
Apr 15, 2014, 01:41 AM
Depends. If the damage was low enough in PSU you wouldn't flinch and could keep attacking with impunity, unless the attack in question has built-in knockback/down/launch properties.

Zipzo
Apr 15, 2014, 01:56 AM
Depends. If the damage was low enough in PSU you wouldn't flinch and could keep attacking with impunity, unless the attack in question has built-in knockback/down/launch properties.

Oh well I thought we were still hearkening back to PSO. I honestly don't remember very much of PSU despite the amount I played it.

ThePendragon
Apr 15, 2014, 07:15 PM
RaCast :|

milranduil
Apr 15, 2014, 09:24 PM
Oh well I thought we were still hearkening back to PSO. I honestly don't remember very much of PSU despite the amount I played it.

Deljabens were a perfect example of the different flinches. They had 2 sets of attacks. If they jabbed at you with 1 arm and it did more than 5% of max HP, you were flinched, but not knocked down, less than 5% HP damage, but no flinch. If they jabbed at you with both arms for more than 5% HP, you were blown away (knocked back) and less than 5% HP only flinched you instead.