PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking of buying a Vita...

the_importer_
Apr 14, 2014, 12:47 PM
After playing PSO2 on my PC for about 2 weeks, I decided that it might be nice to play it on the go. Gaming Laptops are expensive but a Vita is pretty cheap nowadays, especially used ones. Now I know I can use my PSN account to get the game for free, but just for fun, if I were to buy a box copy PSO2 EpII for Vita, will it include PSO2 EpI ?

Thanks

jooozek
Apr 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
the game isn't really split in parts so yeah, you will have access to everything anyway

Sizustar
Apr 14, 2014, 01:00 PM
Bur you should also get a 16gb or 32GB Memory card, with the cart, the game is alittle over 8gb

the_importer_
Apr 14, 2014, 01:35 PM
Bur you should also get a 16gb or 32GB Memory card, with the cart, the game is alittle over 8gb

Don't think I need one that big if I'm buying a physical cart, 1GB should be more than enough for whatever local save data it needs.

Vintasticvin
Apr 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
Trust me on this you'll be needing a 16 or 32Gb card. I would say a 32 to safe as big as the files are these days... Might wanna find out what the total size is fore getting a memory card ^^;

landman
Apr 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
Don't think I need one that big if I'm buying a physical cart, 1GB should be more than enough for whatever local save data it needs.
For now, with the retail release from a month ago, maybe, but in time it will need the extra space. If you buy the first release instead, then yes, you need a 8+ GB card.

the_importer_
Apr 14, 2014, 01:43 PM
Trust me on this you'll be needing a 16 or 32Gb card. I would say a 32 to safe as big as the files are these days... Might wanna find out what the total size is fore getting a memory card ^^;

I don't think you're following what I'm saying, I want to buy this:

http://tinyurl.com/kzg4zb5

This is a physical game, not digital. The entire PC game takes less than 20GB on my HDD, I don't think the save data of the Vita version will require more than a couple of GB for whatever DLC it has in store.

For now, with the retail release from a month ago, maybe, but in time it will need the extra space. If you buy the first release instead, then yes, you need a 8+ GB card.

True, if they do make an EPIII, than I'll probably need a bigger card.

ZER0 DX
Apr 14, 2014, 02:15 PM
I don't think you're following what I'm saying, I want to buy this:

http://tinyurl.com/kzg4zb5

This is a physical game, not digital. The entire PC game takes less than 20GB on my HDD, I don't think the save data of the Vita version will require more than a couple of GB for whatever DLC it has in store.

True, if they do make an EPIII, than I'll probably need a bigger card.

Even with the physical cart, the game still operates on the same update schedule the PC version does, and those updates get pretty big. I have the Episode 2 cart, and my game size is almost 6 GB from updates alone. We're also getting another decently sized update pretty soon, so an 8 GB+ card is definitely required.

the_importer_
Apr 14, 2014, 02:20 PM
Even with the physical cart, the game still operates on the same update schedule the PC version does, and those updates get pretty big. I have the Episode 2 cart, and my game size is almost 6 GB from updates alone. We're also getting another decently sized update pretty soon, so an 8 GB+ card is definitely required.

Did you download the EPI content or is that already on the EPII card?

ZER0 DX
Apr 14, 2014, 02:53 PM
Episode II card is just the game with the current content as of it's release. They never removed anything so the "Episode 1 content" is on the card already. There's still updates that automatically get applied, they can't really future proof a game that gets updates every 2 weeks without making more physical releases once it starts to get too big. You can't pick and choose what updates to download, you have to get everything that currently exists. If you don't update, you can't play. Simple as that.

tuxdude143
Apr 14, 2014, 08:54 PM
Well at least the vita isn't region locked. Unlike a certain other handheld console I know *cough3dscough*

Akakomuma
Apr 14, 2014, 09:12 PM
Can you have two separate memory cards? one for JP one for US?

Thinking about getting a Vita for dat OLED for PSO2.

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 14, 2014, 09:15 PM
idk
getting a vita for pso2 of all things seems like a really bad idea

Gardios
Apr 14, 2014, 09:20 PM

Having an OLED doesn't matter when the graphics themselves are... well, shitty. :/

blace
Apr 14, 2014, 10:00 PM
Can you have two separate memory cards? one for JP one for US?
You'll have to restart the system each time and configure the settings every single time you make the switch.

What Gardios said.

Having an OLED doesn't matter when the graphics themselves are... well, shitty. :/

Zipzo
Apr 14, 2014, 11:26 PM
Here are the facts.

- Right now having the PSO2 cartridge and being fully updated to the current patch takes up exactly 5973 MB of memory card space. This is sure to increase in the future so I highly recommend a 16 GB memory card for obvious reasons as a starting memory card. Note that a lot of data is actually replaced during new patches on the Vita version, so it's not like every single patch is just taking up more and more space, so it doesn't happen as fast you would think, but it does creep ever so slowly up.

- If you are a USA based player who prefers to play NA localized games, you will have to make a decision. The PSN network and PSN ID that you link to the your PSO2 game (happens within the first few minutes of logging in on a Vita) must be of the same region. That means if you link your PSO2 cartridge to your JP PSN, you will only ever be able to login to PSO2 while your Vita is signed in to your JP PSN, making you only able to access the JP PSN store. If you want to access the NA PSN store, you will need to re-format your Vita, and you will also need a 2nd memory card. This is because Vita memory cards can only be linked to one PSN account, and after you link it, the only way to change it is by wiping it completely of any and all saved data on it. The Vita cannot seamlessly switch between which regions it will service through the PSN store, so solution is you have to fully re-format your vita, with the end of the process being putting in your JP ID memory card and making sure you select your region as being Japan on the start-up. If you wish to return to using the NA PSN store, you will have to do the same in the opposite direction.

- The graphics on the Vita version are OK, but they are nothing special. I have the Vita slim which removed the OLED, but I used to own the OLED version and I seriously can tell no difference by the way. When you get down to it, the Vita is mostly powerful of much, much, more, but obviously concessions were made in order to make it playable as an online game. They certainly are not Vita-buying worth graphics. I'd say Kill Zone is worth it. That game looks and plays amazing. You have to know what you're getting in to, you're buying a new console, and if you're only buying it purely to play PSO2 you might quickly find yourself sitting on a pile of regret down the line when you realize you always prefer to play it on PC anyway. The thing is, you will need wifi to play it "on-the-go" anyhow. If you don't have that, your vita is just junk unless you have other games you're interested in playing.

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 14, 2014, 11:30 PM
The graphics on the Vita version are OK
-stares-

Zipzo
Apr 14, 2014, 11:32 PM
-stares-

Oh come on you're taking me out of context quite a bit there.

Coatl
Apr 15, 2014, 12:21 AM
Is there really nothing you could buy in addition to the vita to make it always have wifi? Something similar to a 4G USB modem but for vita.

blace
Apr 15, 2014, 12:42 AM
Is there really nothing you could buy in addition to the vita to make it always have wifi? Something similar to a 4G USB modem but for vita.

Aside from buying the 3G version or using your phone as a hot spot? Nope.

Cyron Tanryoku
Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 AM
using your phone as a hot spot
that works

Zipzo
Apr 15, 2014, 12:59 AM
Aside from buying the 3G version or using your phone as a hot spot? Nope.

Well this isn't true at all.

I have a mobile internet router that I pocket with me everywhere I go. It's a monthly payment like you would have for any internet service of course, but it allows me to bring Wifi essentially everywhere so I can essentially play PSO2 wherever I want.

Also, the 3g version still requires a monthly paid service to access 3g internet when not on wifi, and it's horridly overpriced while in addition reportedly being horridly laggy so I don't recommend that at all.

blace
Apr 15, 2014, 01:57 AM
A mobile router still requires a service to run in, in a sense a phone with that functionality does the same.

Zipzo
Apr 15, 2014, 02:00 AM
A mobile router still requires a service to run in, in a sense a phone with that functionality does the same.

Well most folks I know don't run a phone bill anymore. They use applications like LINE, Whatsapp, or Skype on their phone to both call and text, and simply pay for a mobile router (which is cheaper than most iPhone plans).

Things are different in Japan though, I'm aware, but LINE is pretty much the sole method of phone communication here. You don't need phone service at all if you have a mobile router (a lot of people). I don't see how any other country couldn't benefit from the same methods.

landman
Apr 15, 2014, 02:43 AM
Vita graphics are better than lower settings PC graphics, at least you can see the moon in the new Team Room :P The bad thing of the Vita version for me is the lack of a total custom button configuration, and not being able to use the back panel as 4 more buttons.

Zipzo
Apr 15, 2014, 02:56 AM
Vita graphics are better than lower settings PC graphics, at least you can see the moon in the new Team Room :P The bad thing of the Vita version for me is the lack of a total custom button configuration, and not being able to use the back panel as 4 more buttons.

x1000 this.

There essentially isn't even enough buttons to cover the full configuration, it doesn't even make sense.

It won't even let you use "Direction + Button" arrangements for custom setups even though it uses one in its own default setup. It's ridiculous.

Allowing the back touch pad to get used would be amazing. I mean, hell, they allow the action bar to be used by touching so I don't really see the functional difference of advantage.