PDA

View Full Version : PSO 2 Western Release???

lantis-zagato
Apr 22, 2014, 11:56 AM
Hey everyone,

I used to be a frequent visitor and occasional poster on this site. When PSU was running its course and dying down I lost a lot of interest and stopped playing. I am a HUUGGEE fan of the original PSO dating back to the dreamcast. When I had heard PSO2 was announced and coming to the US I was insanely excited. News seemed to be trickling out at a decent rate and the excitement on this site was palpable. Then, one day we got the news that the western release was postponed and since then I haven't heard much of anything. For that reason, I stopped checking the site frequently. I'm not here to complain, but to ask if anyone can succenctly explain if the game is indeed making its way over here? I know, I should comb through the forums for an answer but it's been so long since I last checked and I don't really have the patience to go searching myself. It was my hope that someone who has followed these events more closely the last few years might be able to give the casual fan an update.

So, let me thank everyone up front for any available info and let me apologize for not looking up the answer myself. I'm of the understanding it is reasonably easy to join the Japanese version but I honestly have no patience trying to figure that out and I don't have a ton of time to devote to playing games anymore and would appreciate the convenience of a fully translated game.

Again, thank you everyone!

-Long time PSO fan

Totori
Apr 22, 2014, 11:59 AM
The Western Release of PSO2's official status is "It's delayed" meaning from what we know it's still coming, just delayed. Nothing else has been really said about the Western version, as SEGA has been pretty quiet.

Zipzo
Apr 22, 2014, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone,

I used to be a frequent visitor and occasional poster on this site. When PSU was running its course and dying down I lost a lot of interest and stopped playing. I am a HUUGGEE fan of the original PSO dating back to the dreamcast. When I had heard PSO2 was announced and coming to the US I was insanely excited. News seemed to be trickling out at a decent rate and the excitement on this site was palpable. Then, one day we got the news that the western release was postponed and since then I haven't heard much of anything. For that reason, I stopped checking the site frequently. I'm not here to complain, but to ask if anyone can succenctly explain if the game is indeed making its way over here? I know, I should comb through the forums for an answer but it's been so long since I last checked and I don't really have the patience to go searching myself. It was my hope that someone who has followed these events more closely the last few years might be able to give the casual fan an update.

So, let me thank everyone up front for any available info and let me apologize for not looking up the answer myself. I'm of the understanding it is reasonably easy to join the Japanese version but I honestly have no patience trying to figure that out and I don't have a ton of time to devote to playing games anymore and would appreciate the convenience of a fully translated game.

Again, thank you everyone!

-Long time PSO fan

Short answer...

Don't hold your breath.

Long Answer...

Nobody really knows anything more than "It's been delayed", since SoA made that announcement going on two years ago now. Most have assumed it's been cancelled and just joined up on the Japanese version. There are patches available to pretty much put the whole experience in English for you so it shouldn't really be inconvenient at all.

My advice (if you're itching to play it), would be to simply play it. Look in the "Tweaker" topic and get your download going (completely in English), and start getting acquainted with its functions. You'll probably rarely ever have to worry about the fact it's a Japanese version unless you're seeking to purchase AC, and even then there are many methods available for you to do so.

holmwood
Apr 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
SEA version will be released in a couple of months. There will likely be IP blocks. Translation is so bad that they were considering redoing it.

The NA version hasn't shown up in any gaming conventions for about a year now I think. No updates on their website or fanpage. Absolutely nothing from the staff.

The JP version is fully translated with the patcher, and people have no problem playing the game while knowing absolutely no japanese. There's also a large enough community in Ship 2 that it's not hard to find English players anywhere. It's gotten to the point where some JP players are complaining that we're taking over. ^^

lantis-zagato
Apr 22, 2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I suppose I haven't really missed much then. A man can always dream I guess.

lantis-zagato
Apr 22, 2014, 12:08 PM
SEA version will be released in a couple of months. There will likely be IP blocks. Translation is so bad that they were considering redoing it.

The NA version hasn't shown up in any gaming conventions for about a year now I think. No updates on their website or fanpage. Absolutely nothing from the staff.

The JP version is fully translated with the patcher, and people have no problem playing the game while knowing absolutely no japanese. There's also a large enough community in Ship 2 that it's not hard to find English players anywhere. It's gotten to the point where some JP players are complaining that we're taking over. ^^

That's good to know! If I ever get a new computer I might actually consider going this route. Thanks for the heads up.

Frog
Apr 22, 2014, 01:31 PM
It has been over 2 years since the US version was announced. Over a year since it was "delayed". About the only thing that could save it in the US now is a PS4/Vita release of it. I would love that!

I doubt they will put the PC version in the US since tons of US players are already playing the Japanese version anyway.

What is its subscription status in Japan? Free to play or is there a monthly fee?

Zipzo
Apr 22, 2014, 01:31 PM
It has been over 2 years since the US version was announced. Over a year since it was "delayed". About the only thing that could save it in the US now is a PS4/Vita release of it. I would love that!

I doubt they will put the PC version in the US since tons of US players are already playing the Japanese version anyway.

What is it's subscription status in Japan? Free to play or is there a monthly fee?

F2P with a "premium" option.

Frog
Apr 22, 2014, 01:33 PM
F2P with a "premium" option.
Then I guess I need to investigate the translated version. I have dragged my feet for years and this seems to be my only way.

I have 4 year old i7 Intel laptop with 4gb of RAM. Would that be enough power?

Totori
Apr 22, 2014, 01:39 PM
On low settings you should be able to run the game. Check with the benchmark character creator, that's the best way to be sure.

Shinamori
Apr 22, 2014, 01:41 PM
PS4/Vita won't happen if the PC is not happening anything soon.

Frog
Apr 22, 2014, 01:41 PM
What is PSO2tweaker? It looks like in that thread it is not the full-game? Is it an app for PC PS02?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 22, 2014, 02:02 PM
What is PSO2tweaker? It looks like in that thread it is not the full-game? Is it an app for PC PS02?
It's a launcher that can patch the game with other things, such as english patches or removing opening videos. It's not the game itself, but it will do everything that the game's normal patcher would do, and more.

Sacrificial
Apr 22, 2014, 05:22 PM
the benchmark thingy doesn't really say anything that thing gave my old pc a 170 rating( your pc will explode rating) but i could still play on medium quality w/o problems.

AkumaYouji
Apr 22, 2014, 09:33 PM
It's a launcher that can patch the game with other things, such as english patches or removing opening videos. It's not the game itself, but it will do everything that the game's normal patcher would do, and more.

I have been interested in using the tweaker myself but have been reluctant due to the fact that it sounds like an .exe running along with PSO2 ( I could be wrong I need to search some more). I understand using the English patch stuff is against ToS and you "could" get banned, but does the tweaker "increase" those chances considering it does more advanced things than just the patch?

the benchmark thingy doesn't really say anything that thing gave my old pc a 170 rating( your pc will explode rating) but i could still play on medium quality w/o problems.

Yeah, my 3+ year old i7 laptop can run it on all max settings although it has dual GPU's. I wouldn't think you would have any issue running the game. Regardless it is basically risk free considering the game is free, although it does cost time haha. My old desktop scored very low (forgot the exact numbers) and it said the recommended settings were low-medium and it runs the game on all max settings as well.

I too was like you "hoping" for the English release, but given SoA's record with the phantasy star series I decided to stay with JP PSO2 (I started at the JP open beta and was assuming a US release was right around the corner... silly me), because if and when it was released there are two things that would still stop me from playing.
1. It will be behind in content from the JP server
2. This is the big one for me, I feel that if it ever got released its lifespan would be far shorter than the JP one and it would not be worth investing the time into the US server in the long run.
of course that's just speculation and i'm just babbling on at this point sorry ^^;

well I hope something in that post was semi useful >.<

AkumaYouji
Apr 22, 2014, 11:35 PM
Hi, Tweaker dev here! The Tweaker closes about 10 seconds after PSO2 opens. It does not "increase" the chances of you getting banned, and as of now, no one has gotten banned for using the English patch.

cool thanks ill def give it a try, and thanks for all your contributions to PSO2. While playing the game in JP is doable the English patch makes it much more enjoyable! I would love to be able to help contribute but I don't speak Japanese at all ^^;

Vetur
Apr 23, 2014, 12:38 AM
I'd definitely recommend the tweaker, since it also lets you know when your files are out of date, and for some people it can be faster to update the main game through. xD

TaigaUC
Apr 23, 2014, 01:09 AM
I recommend the tweaker just because there's a much lower chance of it wiping your HDD like SEGA's official patcher did.