PDA

View Full Version : New cpu/laptop for pso2?

Sakuro
Apr 23, 2014, 05:02 AM
Hello, my last laptop I was using is kinda broken now so I was wondering if anyone could give me some friendly advice on a new computer or laptop (I prefer laptop) I should buy that can play pso2 nicely. I don't really have much money right now so something under $1000 is ideal. Right now I'm looking at 2 laptops from jb hifi (Dell W560901AU Inspiron 15" Notebook, snd TOSHIBA SATELLITE L50T-A01R 15.6" NOTEBOOK( I just copied the names from the page)), and am wondering if they will run pso2 okay or at all and if they are decent laptops. Any advice is appreciated.

Notes
-I'm not very smart please go easy on me :)
-I use to run it on a HP Compaq Presario so my standards aren't great
-Also sorry for the post if its not meant to be here, I just joined, and yeah..not very smart.

Shinamori
Apr 23, 2014, 05:05 AM
You can save a lot of money buying a Desktop PC, rather building one.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 23, 2014, 05:30 AM
I cannot vouch for how well those laptops would run games, because of them being integrated graphics. I would look for one with a dedicated graphics card.

Integrated means that the graphics are just what's needed, and they're directly on the motherboard. Youtube videos, display, etc.

Dedicated are their own physical cards with their own processing power. The problem with this in a laptop, is that these are generally MUCH more expensive.

I would definitely go the route of building a desktop computer, if possible. If you can reuse some things from an older computer (decent flatscreen monitor, keyboard and mouse, basically stuff that isn't IN the tower) you can build you a budget gaming build. I spent around $700 for my tower, and I can still run games pretty well (meaning 30-60 fps on current gen games with medium to high settings, and even better on most older games) especially just after upgrading my video card. This tower is 3-4 years old. Building something now would still give you great longevity, especially with other games.

However, if you're intent on getting a laptop, I'd recommend getting a laptop that just doesn't have the Intel graphics. Those are known to be garbage.

Tomo-Kinji
Apr 23, 2014, 06:54 AM
I have Acer 4752G (Nvidia GT630m 1GB). This is known to be a budget and mid-gaming laptop. Cost me around $500 when brand new. It's 2 years old now and it can play PSO2 well. I said well because it can handle up to mid settings. If you much cheaper option, I can recommend a good 2nd hand laptop or a desktop.

(Thinking about that, I've found a 2nd hand high-end gaming laptop (Asus G750 I think) for only $600, but ended up buying brand new laptop anyway)

Arialle
Apr 23, 2014, 06:55 AM
is ur usage going to be mobile? if not i dont see a need to have a laptop and i would rather u use the money to build a DIY desktop

Sakuro
Apr 23, 2014, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't say my usage is going to be overly mobile, I kinda got used to having my laptop in one place when its battery died but I guess I like the option of being able to move it around. The main reasons I prefer laptop is probably the hdmi for movies, I normally have them somewhere more comfortable then a desk, and I kinda like the flat keyboards they generally have (but I'm sure you could buy one for a desktop anyway).
An acquaintance of mine also suggest I make my own desktop but I still don't really understand all of that. I just prefer simpler things I guess, the only game I play often is pso2, or sometimes rpg maker games, so pso2 is probably the only thing that I'm worried about working. Apart from that my laptop was used for music and movies really so I still kinda unsure on building a desktop. But the ideas are kinda helping.
Thanks for all posts so far, everyone.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 23, 2014, 07:29 AM
Building a computer is fairly easy, once you understand what goes into it.

aka legos are amazing.

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 02:07 AM
After some thought, I think I'm just going to go with a laptop for the time being. Please don't think I'm ignoring opinions, It's just more suited to me 'right now', considering how often I do use my hdmi for movies and such, (my university also has some nice internet that I would't mind using seeing pso2 updates kill my horrible net). After hearing some opinions I more than likely will end up trying to build a desktop after I get some spare money, I'm just kinda rushed for time now to do something I know little about.

All that being said, I had a guy at jbhifi checkout the requirements for pso2 and show me laptops that could run it, the best for close to $1000 being a toshiba for $1100 (on sale from 1300), which he said should do fairly high in graphics but probably not max. So I asked about what he uses, and he said what he has runs stuff like skyrim at maximum and several other games smooth without dropping frame rate at all,which is basically the next graphics card up from that toshiba. So I just asked if they sell anything with the same graphics card, and so yeah he showed me a alienware which he said had the same.

If I remember right it was: 16gb ram, 750gb hard drive, quad core(I think), 2gb graphics memory and so on for $1830 (normally costs a bit more, sale price and some extra off for me). He thinks it would do well and I believe that, but before I use money that I really don't have (literally need 200-400 depending on my pay this week) but I want to know if people here agree it will be okay (or good even). So can I please get some good feedback about this?

(Sorry for not being overly sure on the model but I think it was a Alienware M14XR3 14" Notebook (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M) I might go back and check this. And very sorry for the long dreary paragraphs and that its about laptops which alot of people don't like from what I've seen... Thanks for your time and patience..

Aeris
Apr 24, 2014, 02:57 AM
After some thought, I think I'm just going to go with a laptop for the time being. Please don't think I'm ignoring opinions, It's just more suited to me 'right now', considering how often I do use my hdmi for movies and such, (my university also has some nice internet that I would't mind using seeing pso2 updates kill my horrible net). After hearing some opinions I more than likely will end up trying to build a desktop after I get some spare money, I'm just kinda rushed for time now to do something I know little about.

All that being said, I had a guy at jbhifi checkout the requirements for pso2 and show me laptops that could run it, the best for close to $1000 being a toshiba for $1100 (on sale from 1300), which he said should do fairly high in graphics but probably not max. So I asked about what he uses, and he said what he has runs stuff like skyrim at maximum and several other games smooth without dropping frame rate at all,which is basically the next graphics card up from that toshiba. So I just asked if they sell anything with the same graphics card, and so yeah he showed me a alienware which he said had the same.

If I remember right it was: 16gb ram, 750gb hard drive, quad core(I think), 2gb graphics memory and so on for $1830 (normally costs a bit more, sale price and some extra off for me). He thinks it would do well and I believe that, but before I use money that I really don't have (literally need 200-400 depending on my pay this week) but I want to know if people here agree it will be okay (or good even). So can I please get some good feedback about this?

(Sorry for not being overly sure on the model but I think it was a Alienware M14XR3 14" Notebook (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M) I might go back and check this. And very sorry for the long dreary paragraphs and that its about laptops which alot of people don't like from what I've seen... Thanks for your time and patience..

Thats a bit too much for that laptop, there are better deals on newegg and amazon for lesser if you look around.

musicmf
Apr 24, 2014, 02:58 AM

I'm not well versed in Alienware *coughoverpriceddelljunkcough*, but does this look like the laptop (http://www.elemesh.com/product/dell_alienware_m14x_r3.htm)?

If so, I bet you could do better, at a lower cost point with something from ibuypower (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion-101-W230SS-Gaming-Laptop).
Upgrade the CPU (4810mq), RAM (16GB), and HDD (1TB, 7200rpm) and if I'm not mistaken, your looking at a better laptop in almost every way (Lol, screen size) than that M14XR3, at a pricepoint of $1160 (+S/H, +Tax, -$100 MIR)

Now, I don't really know how this will run PSO2, and if your thinking of a different Alienware model this may be different.
But I'm just trying to show you that Alienware doesn't give you a good performance:price ratio.

----------

IMO, build a PC. It's literally as simple as "Screw motherboard into case, insert X item into X Slot. Repeat tilll done."
Unless you have problems fitting shapes into slots (http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pG01-2788735_alternate1_dt.jpg); then you are good to go.

Desktops give you more power per price than laptops. They are easily (and fully) upgradable, along with not suffering nearly as easily from overheating as laptops are.

If the key factor is that you want to watch movies by connecting an HDMI cable to your TV;
Just get a tablet that can handle 1080p video with HDMI out (Then you can also play PSO2es!). Or use some sort of box that can connect to your TV to output your movie collection. Whether its a Roku, a Boxee, or whatever.
One of these solutions will probably run you what, an extra $100~300? But you will probably save that much or more by building a desktop yourself rather than buying a pre-made laptop, especially from an overpriced brand like Alienware.

But, its your money; and what your comfortable with (build vs buy) (desktop vs laptop). So in the end you have to make the decision for yourself.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2014, 03:23 AM
Don't buy Alienware. Ever. That's just the salesman trying to do sales.

The only reason we don't like them is because for their price/performance, they're rather ill suited for gaming. If you like moving around with your PC, then a laptop is for you. Mobile gaming can get tricky. Plus that shit can get hot.

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 03:57 AM
Not that I could see much in stock, newegg looks like they charge about the same for a laptop with similar hardware.
'I'm not well versed in Alienware *coughoverpriceddelljunkcough*, but does this look like the laptop?' Yeah I guess that looks right. And with that link from ibuypower, I had a look, went trough ticked boxes (still confused as hell from all of it) and got
to about $1300 I think which looks good and all, but do they only do shipping in america, because all i could see was america and canada which doesn't help me much (australia).
I would go along with amazon but I'd rather not spend $1000+ trusting people who sell unicorn meat. I don't mind amazon but not for a laptop or cpu.
I don't wan't to buy tablets, boxes ad build a hardcore gaming desktop on the net. "Right now" (like i said before) I just want to buy a laptop to run pso2 and movies regardless of how great diy destops are.
The screens kinda small but I like the keyboard on that alienware and I know its overpriced but I still want to know if it would run pso2 well and if its okay for a laptop that you buy in one piece from a shopping centre.

Horo The Wise Wolf
Apr 24, 2014, 04:01 AM
If you are buying a laptop for up to $1000 but you don't want a decent gaming rig then I'm sure none of us can really help you.

The advice given is saying for that money you can buy something better than what you are trying to do.

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 05:06 AM
Okay everyone clearly hates Alienware and I get that I can't ask anything about them, so can someone try recommending a different laptop that is 'better' or can pso2 good? (prefferably not in pieces) I really don't know what else I can ask at this point.
I have at least $1400 I can spend on this, and I want to at least try and get my moneys worth.

(like I said before my only laptop i've had is a HP Compaq Presario CQ62-116TU, which from what I know is pretty bad, but It at least ran pso2 well on minimum graphics, so I don't see why selecting a better laptop for better pso2 can be too difficult. I really liked the keyboard on the compaq i said which is really one of the reasons the alieware catches my eye, the spaced out keys, small tiny keys on alot of laptops really don't work for me which is why I used it for so long. Hopefully saying this helps people understand why I said alienware many times)

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 05:22 AM
Don't buy Alienware. Ever. That's just the salesman trying to do sales.

The only reason we don't like them is because for their price/performance, they're rather ill suited for gaming. If you like moving around with your PC, then a laptop is for you. Mobile gaming can get tricky. Plus that shit can get hot.

Also about this, the guy I talk to for computers never suggested I go for alienware, when he looked at pso2's requirements he only showed me that toshiba (as the best for $1000ish, although saying it more than likely wouldn't run max, only mid-high) and a few other laptops for 800-1000. He only said the alienware had the same graphics card he used for games like i said before, he never really endorsed or suggested buying it.

irvineaw
Apr 24, 2014, 09:14 AM
the things you buy laptop is:
1st intel core series (i3, i5 or i7) dont buy y series because the speed frequency is low, then the processor speed is over 1.8ghz
2nd amd a series (a4, a6,a8, or even a10) these are hyper good in gaming, even i use my laptop is amd e450 (e2) which i can play pso2 smoothly
3rd graphics card, dont choose intel hd graphics which cannot support to play pso2, better to choose nvidia geforce or amd radeon which is 512mb video graphics ram or better
4th screen better choose screen in 1366x768 resolution, dont choose lower one which unable to support pso2

DJcooltrainer
Apr 24, 2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I have a $500 ASUS laptop that's got an AMD A8 APU (no dedicated GPU), 8GB of RAM and a SSD. It's really nothing special, but it can play PSO2 at 720p at super low settings. It doesn't look pretty, but it runs smooth enough to be playable. It only ever gets used for gaming when I have to travel for work since my desktop is too massive to carry around with me. If your goal is to play the game at any settings, any new midrange laptop with a decent GPU (probably not Intel integrated) should be able to play at low settings. Want to play at max settings? Save yourself the cash and invest in a good gaming desktop. I've seen plenty of people at LAN parties with portable desktop computers.

Panth3r
Apr 24, 2014, 09:51 AM
Is this out of your price range? This shouldnt have much issues at all running pso2.

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398350970&sr=8-11&keywords=asus+laptop

Coatl
Apr 24, 2014, 09:56 AM
Portability really costs an arm and a leg. It's no joke when peopel tell you that you can get a desktop that outperforms a good laptop for half the price.

Silver Crow
Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM
What the heel is up with this thread, so much bad advice, Alienware? Talk of cpu and gpu?? First of all, Intel hd graphics 4000+ can more than handle pso2, and don't bother too much with cpu since pso2 sucks balls at utilising your cores. Just get an i5 with 4gb ram, integrated graphics (4400 would be nice), and an SSD and you'll be more than happy

DJcooltrainer
Apr 24, 2014, 10:41 AM
What the heel is up with this thread, so much bad advice, Alienware? Talk of cpu and gpu?? First of all, Intel hd graphics 4000+ can more than handle pso2, and don't bother too much with cpu since pso2 sucks balls at utilising your cores. Just get an i5 with 4gb ram, integrated graphics (4400 would be nice), and an SSD and you'll be more than happy

Define 'more than enough'. The AMD APU's preform better at 3D gaming than the Intel HD 4000/4400, pretty much across the board... the i-series chips will only do better in games that are completely CPU-bound, unless the laptop has another dedicated GPU. If you're on a tight budget, there's no question that an AMD A10 (or even an A8) APU would perform better.

SammyKiller
Apr 24, 2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231320

This has all you need for exactly 999$, shipping depends on your location.

I really recommend Newegg for all purschases, their prices and service has always been really good to me.

irvineaw
Apr 24, 2014, 07:59 PM
if more desire you can use intel iris pro 5200 for better play pso2

Lego
Apr 24, 2014, 08:20 PM
Dells do have a nice price/perfomance ratio atleast in europe. Also check out Lenovo's.

My suggestion: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 09:32 PM
My time zone sucks for forums.. but I'm liking those suggestions, I don't mind this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231320): and this one (http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398350970&sr=8-11&keywords=asus+laptop): looks nice I guess and I really wouldn't mind getting that but the us only shipping kinda doesn't help :/ . ( I live in Australia if it helps).

But the suggestions are really good, I did want to look in some shops today before I try buying the online, to see if I could find anything similar, but public holidays you know, my country needs them as an excuse to drink every week or so. But like I said I really like the new suggestions and feedback.

Seeing as I can't go look in shops today Ill ask some things I'm wondering. First are those Lenvovo's any good? This one I'm looking at here (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/?sb=:000001C9:00010254:#techspecs): looks alright apart from maybe the GT755M compared to the other laptops suggested. And I couldn't find anything with intel iris pro 5200 as said just earlier if anyone knows about that.

Right now I think I'm liking that ''ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 (http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398350970&sr=8-11&keywords=asus+laptop)'' on amazon the most and think that looks good for the price, I really wouldn't mind using that if I can find one somewhere that I can buy.

Taskus
Apr 24, 2014, 09:52 PM
Dells do have a nice price/perfomance ratio atleast in europe. Also check out Lenovo's.

My suggestion: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/

Though I have no experience with lenovos myself, they don't look that bad spec wise. I was looking around at some of the asus gaming models and some on Ibuypower but The y510s (or smaller y410s) might be a good choice. Only 5400rpm though.

The last dell 'gaming' laptop I got (years ago, not alienware) had serious problems with overheating and just wasn't that amazing quality wise.
One of my friends also currently owns an alienware laptop too (im not sure which one) they say it runs fine, but dell's support is awful and the price was pretty steep.

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah I guess I'm really leaning towards that ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 that Panth3r posted, says a seller called Adorama Camera (even though I can't see it in their store) ships to my country for total $1300+$20 (Expedited Shipping (2-5 business days)) and that looks alight, just wondering if anyone else can confirm this is a good laptop for what I want and in general?

It also says it uses NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M under ''Graphics Coprocessor'', which I haven't really seen much of yet, but considering that alienware i said had Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M would that mean that this asus is fairly better?
(also Graphics Coprocessor mean anything different than normal or is it just the long name that doesn't show up often or something?)
Feeling kinda rushed after seeing 5% grind boost approaching but I want to check to see if this laptops good before I buy without thinking like a moron.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKF2H12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6#productDetails) again for the asus I'm talking about if needed.

Taskus
Apr 24, 2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah I guess I'm really leaning towards that ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 that Panth3r posted, says a seller called Adorama Camera (even though I can't see it in their store) ships to my country for total $1300+$20 (Expedited Shipping (2-5 business days)) and that looks alight, just wondering if anyone else can confirm this is a good laptop for what I want and in general?

It also says it uses NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M under ''Graphics Coprocessor'', which I haven't really seen much of yet, but considering that alienware i said had Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M would that mean that this asus is fairly better?
(also Graphics Coprocessor mean anything different than normal or is it just the long name that doesn't show up often or something?)
Feeling kinda rushed after seeing 5% grind boost approaching but I want to check to see if this laptops good before I buy without thinking like a moron.
Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKF2H12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6#productDetails) again for the asus I'm talking about if needed.

the 860m seems to be a step above the 765m, yes. (Probably overkill for just PSO2, though) Newegg did a review on that model as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5F4mplXDw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5F4mplXDw

SammyKiller
Apr 24, 2014, 10:44 PM
My time zone sucks for forums.. but I'm liking those suggestions, I don't mind this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231320): and this one (http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398350970&sr=8-11&keywords=asus+laptop): looks nice I guess and I really wouldn't mind getting that but the us only shipping kinda doesn't help :/ . ( I live in Australia if it helps).

But the suggestions are really good, I did want to look in some shops today before I try buying the online, to see if I could find anything similar, but public holidays you know, my country needs them as an excuse to drink every week or so. But like I said I really like the new suggestions and feedback.

Seeing as I can't go look in shops today Ill ask some things I'm wondering. First are those Lenvovo's any good? This one I'm looking at here (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/?sb=:000001C9:00010254:#techspecs): looks alright apart from maybe the GT755M compared to the other laptops suggested. And I couldn't find anything with intel iris pro 5200 as said just earlier if anyone knows about that.

Right now I think I'm liking that ''ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 (http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398350970&sr=8-11&keywords=asus+laptop)'' on amazon the most and think that looks good for the price, I really wouldn't mind using that if I can find one somewhere that I can buy.

If you can afford this Asus with the GTX860M, I'm all in recommending it, ASUS is amazing and for the price there is no competition, also this laptop with GTX860M will run pretty much every game out there on high settings with low Anti Aliasing on games like Battlefield 4, but for PSO2 its super overkill, although, who doesn't like to overkill? ;)

Sakuro
Apr 24, 2014, 11:27 PM
Well I guess that's enough to convince me, only problem now is the fact I'm buying it online, kinda rusting my mother's jimmies to spend that much online.. It's my money and I normally spend like stupid regardless, but I don't want to regret this for the cost, she thinks I should just buy the toshiba for roughly $1100 at JB seeing as its where we live and such no danger and then save for a desktop when its less urgent which I plan to anyway (I'd just have $300 more or so buying a cheaper laptop).

SO yeah conflict here, after looking at that asus's specs and hearing that it's overkill makes me want it all the more. I wish I at least remembered the toshiba so I could get some comparison, it MIGHT be a: TOSHIBA SATELLITE L50T-A01R 15.6" NOTEBOOK (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/toshiba/satellite-l50t-a01r-15-6-inch-notebook-sku-453127/), and if it is there's kinda significant difference in the 16gb->8gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M -> NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M and probably whatever rpm it has that I didn't see. But would this be alright for pso2 if the asus is overkill? Assuming it's the same one I think it is the store guy said it should run fine but I just didn't like the laptop itself much. I've never really bought off cpus,laptops or the like of amazon to know what I'll be paying for so I can't say I'm not kinda uneasy too.

So basic question I guess is what's the better choice here. Either way I'll most likely end up asking a friend of mine to get the guy he went to for his fancy desktop to try help me out with making one sometime when I have an extra $1500-2000+ for spending, so should I just go the cheaper faster option and drive to jb for the toshiba, or try buying the asus from amazon?
Sorry for the repetitive asking and all, I'm not the decisive type and prefer to be careful with money seeing as I don't have much income till I get a new job(...I almost wanna just do the damn desktop first so I don't have this issue but I have no idea how long the guy takes with his shop and whatever).

SammyKiller
Apr 24, 2014, 11:59 PM
Well I guess that's enough to convince me, only problem now is the fact I'm buying it online, kinda rusting my mother's jimmies to spend that much online.. It's my money and I normally spend like stupid regardless, but I don't want to regret this for the cost, she thinks I should just buy the toshiba for roughly $1100 at JB seeing as its where we live and such no danger and then save for a desktop when its less urgent which I plan to anyway (I'd just have $300 more or so buying a cheaper laptop).

SO yeah conflict here, after looking at that asus's specs and hearing that it's overkill makes me want it all the more. I wish I at least remembered the toshiba so I could get some comparison, it MIGHT be a: TOSHIBA SATELLITE L50T-A01R 15.6" NOTEBOOK (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/toshiba/satellite-l50t-a01r-15-6-inch-notebook-sku-453127/), and if it is there's kinda significant difference in the 16gb->8gb ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M -> NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M and probably whatever rpm it has that I didn't see. But would this be alright for pso2 if the asus is overkill? Assuming it's the same one I think it is the store guy said it should run fine but I just didn't like the laptop itself much. I've never really bought off cpus,laptops or the like of amazon to know what I'll be paying for so I can't say I'm not kinda uneasy too.

So basic question I guess is what's the better choice here. Either way I'll most likely end up asking a friend of mine to get the guy he went to for his fancy desktop to try help me out with making one sometime when I have an extra $1500-2000+ for spending, so should I just go the cheaper faster option and drive to jb for the toshiba, or try buying the asus from amazon?
Sorry for the repetitive asking and all, I'm not the decisive type and prefer to be careful with money seeing as I don't have much income till I get a new job(...I almost wanna just do the damn desktop first so I don't have this issue but I have no idea how long the guy takes with his shop and whatever).

To me the there's two sides: The Toshiba overpriced as hell for 1100$ side and the Asus which is an amazing laptop for 1200$ side, if you really need to get the Toshiba to avoid family issues then I suggest looking for something else that doesn't have to be shipped etc, anything with an newer i5,i7 and a GTX660M/760M/860M+ including the next GPU's for all three (670,770,870) is a good enough Pc to enjoy PSO2 at its fullest. On the AMD side I guess I'd get anything over HD7870M GPU and wouldn't consider buying an AMD CPU/APU for laptop gaming at all, but that's just me.. I like running games with good playable FPS without having to spend hours and days literally trying to find a setup that doesn't lag/stutter too much.

Taskus
Apr 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

The difference in ram probably won't be noticeable for the more casual users. Benchmarks for the 860 (vs the 740) look good if you ever want to branch out from pso2, too. As for the price between the two of them...I would [personally] get the Asus over the Toshiba. Quality and price-performance wise it seems better (I like Asus well enough :-D). If the problem is more money than convenience/safety though look at the Lenovo series vs the Toshiba.

Sakuro
Apr 25, 2014, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't say family issues is the problem, she's just worried that I'm going to end up spending that much over the net and get screwed. To be honest I am a little too, I've bought a things before like games and things from playasia, things that just sit on my desk but the fact that it's a laptop for $1300 off amazon is the only issue. Most stuff I've bought off amazon came well and good except for a box that was a bit dented and torn but the stuff inside was alright, but if buying this from amazon doesn't really seem like a bad idea I'm free to do it, even if she's uneasy, been that way before and just been glad when stuff arrived all good.
If that toshiba's overpriced then I'll avoid it, I still don't like it anyway.

My only real issue now is a few things, I want a new laptop asap for uni and pso2 so I can't really hesitate more, I might try and find a way to go around shops tomorrow or sunday to look for a decent laptop like you said but the longer i wait, longer that one off amazon will take to get here if i order later, so I think tomorrows my deadline.
-That being said the adorama camera seller who ships the one I'm looking at is the amazon store for a camera shop in the US (i THINK) so they'd be fairly trustworthy right?
-Also it only says 19.95, when i click estimate shipping and tax it moves up to $125.95 for my location (townsville, Australia) for an estimated total of $1,425.94. Does this look right and will no more fees be added once the order is placed/processed? (I haven't used amazon in a while but I remember getting some extra charges when I placed orders but that just might've been the shipping that I didn't estimate for where I live like i just did, so i just want to check)
-Also is there any buyers protection or returns for this?(does amazon provide any or does using my paypal help?) (should I also get the warranty for 2 years for 160$ thats offered with this laptop?)

Really I'm all for buying this right now I just can't afford to regret it, or get a broken laptop or problems etc, so i want to know if you think this is good safe to do, hopefully I want have to beg for any more help if i can get this solved soon.

Taskus
Apr 25, 2014, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't say family issues is the problem, she's just worried that I'm going to end up spending that much over the net and get screwed. To be honest I am a little too, I've bought a things before like games and things from playasia, things that just sit on my desk but the fact that it's a laptop for $1300 off amazon is the only issue. Most stuff I've bought off amazon came well and good except for a box that was a bit dented and torn but the stuff inside was alright, but if buying this from amazon doesn't really seem like a bad idea I'm free to do it, even if she's uneasy, been that way before and just been glad when stuff arrived all good.
If that toshiba's overpriced then I'll avoid it, I still don't like it anyway.

My only real issue now is a few things, I want a new laptop asap for uni and pso2 so I can't really hesitate more, I might try and find a way to go around shops tomorrow or sunday to look for a decent laptop like you said but the longer i wait, longer that one off amazon will take to get here if i order later, so I think tomorrows my deadline.
-That being said the adorama camera seller who ships the one I'm looking at is the amazon store for a camera shop in the US (i THINK) so they'd be fairly trustworthy right?
-Also it only says 19.95, when i click estimate shipping and tax it moves up to $125.95 for my location (townsville, Australia) for an estimated total of $1,425.94. Does this look right and will no more fees be added once the order is placed/processed? (I haven't used amazon in a while but I remember getting some extra charges when I placed orders but that just might've been the shipping that I didn't estimate for where I live like i just did, so i just want to check)
-Also is there any buyers protection or returns for this?(does amazon provide any or does using my paypal help?) (should I also get the warranty for 2 years for 160$ thats offered with this laptop?)

Really I'm all for buying this right now I just can't afford to regret it, or get a broken laptop or problems etc, so i want to know if you think this is good safe to do, hopefully I want have to beg for any more help if i can get this solved soon.

Newegg also sells that one Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630) and theyre a pretty reputable dealer / they have a decent return policy for any kind of damaged products (usually 30days, but it depends sometimes) Return FAQ (http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6) . Im not sure what their shipping is though, but its usually not any more than amazon's would be

Whether or not you get a warranty for it is completely up to you. If youre planning on building another computer sometime in the near future then it might not be necessary.. but you could be a total clutz so...

Sakuro
Apr 25, 2014, 02:05 AM
Newegg also sells that one Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630) and theyre a pretty reputable dealer / they have a decent return policy for any kind of damaged products (usually 30days, but it depends sometimes) Return FAQ (http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6) . Im not sure what their shipping is though, but its usually not any more than amazon's would be

Whether or not you get a warranty for it is completely up to you. If youre planning on building another computer sometime in the near future then it might not be necessary.. but you could be a total clutz so...

It comes up unavailable and out of stock on newegg for me, when I look..

Sakuro
Apr 25, 2014, 02:29 AM
And just looked at what I think will be final cost on amazon, going through everything and setting my currency and shipping cost to my area it totals at $1,599.76 AUD.... so yeah more than I expected again, screw my country... The expected shipping is Apr. 28, 2014 - Apr. 29, 2014 which would have been good (if it would actually come on time) since i wanted to get my new laptop before the 2nd of May if possible but that final price is just..yeah, and realized I can't go to banks today seeing as it's a holiday and the next 2 days are weekends (and my mother thought withdrawing everything was a good idea for some reason..) aswell so I guess that's that screwed for now.
Well yeah, so final cost of $1600 and the fact that all my moneys in hand right now kinda ruined things for time, so I guess i can't really rush now unless I can manage to find a decent computer to buy (which i won't) in this crappy place I live.
Sorry for all the trouble rushing recently but thanks for the advice.. If I manage to find anything worth mentioning I might ask, but I'm kinda too stressed to bother anyone else with more of my stupidity today.

SammyKiller
Apr 25, 2014, 09:12 AM
And just looked at what I think will be final cost on amazon, going through everything and setting my currency and shipping cost to my area it totals at $1,599.76 AUD.... so yeah more than I expected again, screw my country... The expected shipping is Apr. 28, 2014 - Apr. 29, 2014 which would have been good (if it would actually come on time) since i wanted to get my new laptop before the 2nd of May if possible but that final price is just..yeah, and realized I can't go to banks today seeing as it's a holiday and the next 2 days are weekends (and my mother thought withdrawing everything was a good idea for some reason..) aswell so I guess that's that screwed for now.
Well yeah, so final cost of $1600 and the fact that all my moneys in hand right now kinda ruined things for time, so I guess i can't really rush now unless I can manage to find a decent computer to buy (which i won't) in this crappy place I live.
Sorry for all the trouble rushing recently but thanks for the advice.. If I manage to find anything worth mentioning I might ask, but I'm kinda too stressed to bother anyone else with more of my stupidity today.

Ok goodluck and if you need any more advice be sure to PM me or I'm sure Taskus wouldn't mind at all.

Sakuro
Apr 25, 2014, 09:53 PM
Guess I'm probably just going to go and buy one at shops tomorrow if anything, everything with buying the asus off amazon is just giving me problems and headaches..
I might talk to my friend first about desktops but if he can't help I'll probably just go get a laptop around $1000 and save my money for a dekstop when I have more time and sanity (I mean I'm going kinda crazy..).

That being said, this asus (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/asus/s551-15-inch-touchscreen-notebook-sku-491797/), this dell (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/dell/inspiron-15-3537-sku-419123/), and this HP (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/15-inch-notebook-with-windows-8-1-sku-491763/). Are any of them alright for the price and to do me for now? I'll probably just be running pso2 on minimum like I was before, and maybe some light games (just rpgmaker stuffs that I like), minecraft maybe, movies through the hdmi and whatever else till I get a decent desktop. If not it's fine I''ll probably spend most of tomorrow looking til I find something decent enough but yeah, I just figure any more guidelines from you guys might help on what to buy.
(for now anything with 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4500u Processor, 750gb HDD, 8GB RAM, seems like it would be alright to fill the gap i think?, but what gpu's, like any specific would fit well? Most around the price I'm looking at have NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M would that be okay or should it be ''GTX660M/760M/860M+'' like you said earlier? (theres also that dell with the AMD Radeon HD 8850M but I know nothing about amds apart from what was said earlier) I just haven't seen anything in store with the GTX right now so, do you know any laptops that have it I might find around?
Sorry for asking more after all that, I just want to make finding something as easy as possible.

SammyKiller
Apr 25, 2014, 11:01 PM
Guess I'm probably just going to go and buy one at shops tomorrow if anything, everything with buying the asus off amazon is just giving me problems and headaches..
I might talk to my friend first about desktops but if he can't help I'll probably just go get a laptop around $1000 and save my money for a dekstop when I have more time and sanity (I mean I'm going kinda crazy..).

That being said, this asus (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/asus/s551-15-inch-touchscreen-notebook-sku-491797/), this dell (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/dell/inspiron-15-3537-sku-419123/), and this HP (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/15-inch-notebook-with-windows-8-1-sku-491763/). Are any of them alright for the price and to do me for now? I'll probably just be running pso2 on minimum like I was before, and maybe some light games (just rpgmaker stuffs that I like), minecraft maybe, movies through the hdmi and whatever else till I get a decent desktop. If not it's fine I''ll probably spend most of tomorrow looking til I find something decent enough but yeah, I just figure any more guidelines from you guys might help on what to buy.
(for now anything with 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4500u Processor, 750gb HDD, 8GB RAM, seems like it would be alright to fill the gap i think?, but what gpu's, like any specific would fit well? Most around the price I'm looking at have NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M would that be okay or should it be ''GTX660M/760M/860M+'' like you said earlier? (theres also that dell with the AMD Radeon HD 8850M but I know nothing about amds apart from what was said earlier) I just haven't seen anything in store with the GTX right now so, do you know any laptops that have it I might find around?
Sorry for asking more after all that, I just want to make finding something as easy as possible.

The one with the Radeon HD 8850M is the best choice if you want to run PSO2 as smooth as possible, out of these three.

Here are some benchmarks and numbers showing performance on both:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8850M.87118.0.html

The Radeon is about 8-14% better than the GT740M in overall accross various games, this means that the Radeon will have more stability and thus, you will have a better time in PSO2.

My original suggestion still stands though, if you go to a store tomorrow or today (we live like 12 hours apart hehe) and you find any laptop with a GTX660M+ or a GTX560M if its around 900$-950$, wouldn't pay more than that, consider that your top choice.

Aeris
Apr 25, 2014, 11:04 PM

The Radeon HD8850M will do slightly better than the Nvidia Geforce 740M in terms of performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8850M.87118.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

However for the laptops there the HP and Dell has a 1TB HDD over the Asus 750GB HDD and a USB 3.0 card reader than the USB 2.0 reader that the Asus has but everything else is mostly the same if you're going for the Nvidia Geforce 740M, the Dell has 4 USB ports than the other two has 3 USB ports and a 6 cell batter than the other two has 4 cell battery (more cells = more capacity = more battery life) so the Dell has the upper hand from the other two, all computers have the same processor so nothing much about that so go with Dell if you want.

Sakuro
Apr 25, 2014, 11:57 PM
I guess I'll ask around for any GTX660M+ or a GTX560M first, and if nothing with that or better comes up I'll more than likely go with the Dell that has the Radeon (assuming they actually have it in stock, online catalogue sucks :/ ). Can only really wait till tomorrow now I guess.
Thanks again for all the help so far, kinda in a calmer mood now.
(and yeah screw Australia timezone, makes talking to every other country so difficult, used to do ta on pso2 3am with the people I know)

SammyKiller
Apr 26, 2014, 12:12 AM
Alright, sounds good. Goodluck! and be sure to post back with what was your final purschase and if you bought on retail, how its treating you on PSO2 when you get it re-installed!

Sakuro
Apr 26, 2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.joycemayne.com.au/toshiba-satellite-s50d-a00l-laptop.html . someone know if this is any hood just curious cause i dont know the processor

Sakuro
Apr 26, 2014, 09:11 PM
Any good i mean (phone keyboard..)

Aeris
Apr 26, 2014, 09:31 PM
http://www.joycemayne.com.au/toshiba-satellite-s50d-a00l-laptop.html . someone know if this is any hood just curious cause i dont know the processor

That processor seems like a AMD A10 series which goes at 2.1Ghz, those intel ones earlier can pretty much beat the processor since they are 4th Gen with a base speed of 1.8Ghz and going up to 3.0Ghz when needed, also that PC is priced at nearly 1200 so thats a bit overpriced if you ask me.

SammyKiller
Apr 26, 2014, 09:56 PM
That processor seems like a AMD A10 series which goes at 2.1Ghz, those intel ones earlier can pretty much beat the processor since they are 4th Gen with a base speed of 1.8Ghz and going up to 3.0Ghz when needed, also that PC is priced at nearly 1200 so thats a bit overpriced if you ask me.

This, that Toshiba is SUPER overpriced, probably more overpriced than anything you've linked before 'till now. :/

.Jack
Apr 26, 2014, 10:22 PM
I'd suggest the latest asus posted earlier. The processor automatically jumps to 3.2ghz, 30% or less overall system usage running pso2 maxed.

mctastee
Apr 26, 2014, 11:12 PM
I might be a little late on this, but if you are going to get a laptop to get an alienware or razer.

Sakuro
Apr 28, 2014, 08:54 PM
I ended up buying a hp envy touchsmart 15-j113tx, which I'm still kinda wondering if I regret or not, but yeah thats what I got. Retail price is $1394, think I payed just around $1200 for it and a bag together, which yeah I know is probably not worth it at all, but all prices where I live kinda suck. But yeah everything else was pretty well worse, that dell I mentioned earlier isn't really around anymore, they only have a newer version basically half the ram and hard drive and same i7-4500u, but same price as the one I Linked anyway :/. They said they could probably get one of the models I said but that would take like anywhere from days to weeks so decided to just buy something in stock.

I did ask around for anything with GTX as well but that was kinda dead end, only really 2 or so desktops in store for 2500+ where i asked and jb had one that sold out across the state as soon as it came out...

Apart from that the decision was between what I had now or something with GT 820 i think, but this had a better processor (and maybe ram) so I just went with it. After fixing pso2 (d3dx9_43.dll not found for a while..) I've been trying it out and it seems alright. I tried max settings for some aq last night and it was good but maybe a little hot. Eqs scheduled a bit today so going to try and see how it handles, but I think it's alright for now.
But yeah just got things working so thought id post back and say I handed over my money for this. Mining Base 2 now actually so see how it goes.

Aeris
Apr 29, 2014, 12:11 AM
I ended up buying a hp envy touchsmart 15-j113tx, which I'm still kinda wondering if I regret or not, but yeah thats what I got. Retail price is $1394, think I payed just around $1200 for it and a bag together, which yeah I know is probably not worth it at all, but all prices where I live kinda suck. But yeah everything else was pretty well worse, that dell I mentioned earlier isn't really around anymore, they only have a newer version basically half the ram and hard drive and same i7-4500u, but same price as the one I Linked anyway :/. They said they could probably get one of the models I said but that would take like anywhere from days to weeks so decided to just buy something in stock.

I did ask around for anything with GTX as well but that was kinda dead end, only really 2 or so desktops in store for 2500+ where i asked and jb had one that sold out across the state as soon as it came out...

Apart from that the decision was between what I had now or something with GT 820 i think, but this had a better processor (and maybe ram) so I just went with it. After fixing pso2 (d3dx9_43.dll not found for a while..) I've been trying it out and it seems alright. I tried max settings for some aq last night and it was good but maybe a little hot. Eqs scheduled a bit today so going to try and see how it handles, but I think it's alright for now.
But yeah just got things working so thought id post back and say I handed over my money for this. Mining Base 2 now actually so see how it goes.

Desktop you're better off building your own DIY custom build instead of buying prebuilt and the d3dx9 means you didn't have DX9 runtime installed so at least you fixed it, also recommend getting a laptop fan cooler if you can.

Sakuro
Apr 29, 2014, 06:30 AM
Yeah, when I do get a desktop I'm just going to go the same guy who built my friends desktop (since they're pals). Took way longer than it should have to realize i didn't have runtime installed, had that problem on 3 computers at my dads house that i fixed but completely forgot this time.
Laptop fan cooler? I like the sound of that, they cost much?

Shinamori
Apr 29, 2014, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

That's pretty much all there is too it. If you can solve a puzzle, you can build a PC.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Apr 29, 2014, 09:21 AM
building a PC is easier than solving puzzles :3

For 1400 you spent on a laptop you could have build yourself a sick desktop with a 4770K (then OC dat bad boy) and a GTX 780. Or you could have waited for the new 800 series cards which are coming out pretty soon now.

Spending 1400 on a HP laptop is a waste of money :(

Aeris
Apr 29, 2014, 11:32 AM
building a PC is easier than solving puzzles :3

For 1400 you spent on a laptop you could have build yourself a sick desktop with a 4770K (then OC dat bad boy) and a GTX 780. Or you could have waited for the new 800 series cards which are coming out pretty soon now.

Spending 1400 on a HP laptop is a waste of money :(

Because pricing is different in his country than others, probably got to pay way more because of taxes, eco fees, shipping and such so that 1400 might be up over 1800-2000+ to build one and such with specs like that where he/she lives at.

Sakuro
Apr 29, 2014, 10:46 PM
I spent just under 1200 for this, the bag i got with it bumped it up to just on like 1220 total, the original price for it was 1400 I just got in on some sales and stuff. But yeah our prices for most things seem pretty high compared to most places, and buying stuff from overseas can be hell for shipping and currency conversion. But yeah I'd say the 1800-2000+ to build a desktop like that would be fairly accurate, and I think that's what my friend said it would be like cost wise when I asked, he probably would've had to that much for his current desktop if he wasn't friends with the parts/computer shop guy (mates rate as they call it).