PDA

View Full Version : New to PSO2, any advice?

Daemon Gildas
Apr 28, 2014, 11:25 AM
So, I finally managed to defeat the dreaded "capcha boss", and I'm updating PSO2 as we speak, hopefully I'll be ready to play by this afternoon! I've already got the "PSO Tweaker" installed, as well, but perhaps you guys have some other advice?

Also, I was curious how appearance-customization is handled? Are there any particularly cool PSO-themed outfits to get, or just kinda what you get from the start? For that matter, any cool Sonic-themed items or weapons?

Anyways, super excited to finally get to try PSO2 out! :D

Ezodagrom
Apr 28, 2014, 11:33 AM
So, I finally managed to defeat the dreaded "capcha boss", and I'm updating PSO2 as we speak, hopefully I'll be ready to play by this afternoon! I've already got the "PSO Tweaker" installed, as well, but perhaps you guys have some other advice?

Also, I was curious how appearance-customization is handled? Are there any particularly cool PSO-themed outfits to get, or just kinda what you get from the start? For that matter, any cool Sonic-themed items or weapons?

Anyways, super excited to finally get to try PSO2 out! :D
For a new player, this website can be rather helpful.
It's not always up to date, but it has a list of weapons, outfits, and several other things.
http://pso2.cirnopedia.info/

One advice I can give about unlocking new areas, pay attention to an NPC named Koffie in the lobby, she gives client orders that unlock new areas and certain features (it's through her that you can get a mag, access to subclass, 6 weapon slots).

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 28, 2014, 11:33 AM
Pso2 is (sadly) 70% dress up because of their excessive abundance in costume choices, you can basically look like anything you want at this point (it's also because costumes are so easily accessible in pso2 even without premium) Bust most choose to be a Lolita in this game.

As for the English community, the biggest one is on ship 2, to the point that it's now basically 90% English players on that ship, the jpn players had a mass diaspora due to the eng player take over on that ship.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 28, 2014, 12:14 PM
This is the advice I give any new player:
-Plan out your skill tree and mag builds before you start. It costs real-life money to reset your skill trees or buy a new mag. If you plan carefully, you can avoid having to pay money later on down the road.
-Don't go for unconventional skill builds, especially as a new player. As appealing as they may be, they're usually pretty trash and end up holding your party back during the more difficult EQ's.
-Learn how affixing works early on. I see a lot of people in the 60's with terrible equips. There's really no reason to not have at least halfway decent equipment by then, even if its not the best.
-Do your matter boards, story quests and ark-road stuff early on. It's pain in the ass to catch up later, as I'm finding out...
-Participate in any and every EQ you can. They're great for experience and drops.
-Stay in a lower difficulty if you can't yet handle a newly unlocked one.
-And above all... have fun.

Vetur
Apr 28, 2014, 01:34 PM
There are Sonic items, mostly furniture and music cds, but also masks. I like getting the Eggman mask on my characters for the laugh. There's a knuckle called Sonic Knuckle, but I don't know if that's Sonic-related or not.

As for the ships, well there's a little bit of English players everywhere, but most are on ship 2... but from what I hear, there's so many that you might become disappointed if you don't like seeing your fellow English-speakers being rude in public...
In which case, you might prefer to join a ship where English players are more discreet(like 9, where we speak in team/party chat 99% of the time), but it will be harder to find English-speaking parties besides teammates and active friends. If you have friends playing, I suggest joining whatever they are on.

Vintasticvin
Apr 28, 2014, 01:45 PM
There are Sonic items, mostly furniture and music cds, but also masks. I like getting the Eggman mask on my characters for the laugh. There's a knuckle called Sonic Knuckle, but I don't know if that's Sonic-related or not.

As for the ships, well there's a little bit of English players everywhere, but most are on ship 2... but from what I hear, there's so many that you might become disappointed if you don't like seeing your fellow English-speakers being rude in public...
In which case, you might prefer to join a ship where English players are more discreet(like 9, where we speak in team/party chat 99% of the time), but it will be harder to find English-speaking parties. If you have friends playing, I suggest joining whatever they are on.

Yes the sonic knuckle (Knuckles' fist are Sonic related)

As for tips do your koffie unlocks, decide what you want as your playstyle is, fix mag and skill trees accordingly for now spend your money buying weapon and unit upgrades.

EDIT: IF you run falz clear up your bags and carry only equips of choice, mates, and atomizers then rush to the boss portal cause they wait for no one! If you have any usable discs consume them quickly even if you don't have the weapon it goes with.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 28, 2014, 01:47 PM
In which case, you might prefer to join a ship where English players are more discreet(like 9, where we speak in team/party chat 99% of the time), but it will be harder to find English-speaking parties besides teammates and active friends. If you have friends playing, I suggest joining whatever they are on.

The annoying people in Ship 2 are just a very vocal minority. Even though people love to hate on B20, look at the lobby sometime. There might be 30-50 English named players chillin in the lobby, and maybe 4-5 actually chatting or spamming offensive SA's. They don't represent the majority of the English speaking community on Ship 2 by a long shot. In fact, I see a lot of constructive conversation going on there as well.

So, take it with a grain of salt. Don't let a few loud assholes ruin the whole group for you. I'm quite happy on Ship 2, personally.

Arksenth
Apr 28, 2014, 02:00 PM
Be really careful about your mag and skill tree. Seriously, this is the biggest mistake that most newbies make starting out, myself included. If you don't want to shell out big bucks in the future, do your research ahead of time and plan out something that'll carry you throughout the entire game.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 28, 2014, 02:09 PM
Get out before it's too late.

But in all seriousness, 90% of the game is just looking good, 10% is gameplay, listen to arksenth and you will have the 10% down.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 28, 2014, 02:40 PM
Well, I *do* like looking good :P As for the Sonic Knuckles, are those a rare-drop, or event-based? Or for that matter, they're not retired or anything, are they?

I generally prefer to play a pure melee, though survivability is important to me. My download still isn't finished, so I'm still not quite sure what to expect, as far as "how I want to build a character". I know in PSO, I loved playing a HUcast and melee-oriented FOmar (very difficult, but SO much fun!), so what would those character benefit from?

Also, anything I should know regarding Race choice? I'm pretty evenly torn between all three (or is it four now?), so if there's any gameplay distinctions, that might be enough to sway me. And on that note, is there a way to customize your appearance later on? Or should I just make sure I take my sweet time creating them, until they're "perfect"?

EDIT: I almost forgot; are there "Section ID's" or anything like that I should be aware of, when creating a character?

Skyly HUmar
Apr 28, 2014, 02:52 PM
Well, I *do* like looking good :P As for the Sonic Knuckles, are those a rare-drop, or event-based? Or for that matter, they're not retired or anything, are they?

I generally prefer to play a pure melee, though survivability is important to me. My download still isn't finished, so I'm still not quite sure what to expect, as far as "how I want to build a character". I know in PSO, I loved playing a HUcast and melee-oriented FOmar (very difficult, but SO much fun!), so what would those character benefit from?

Also, anything I should know regarding Race choice? I'm pretty evenly torn between all three (or is it four now?), so if there's any gameplay distinctions, that might be enough to sway me. And on that note, is there a way to customize your appearance later on? Or should I just make sure I take my sweet time creating them, until they're "perfect"?

EDIT: I almost forgot; are there "Section ID's" or anything like that I should be aware of, when creating a character?

There are no section IDs and the stat differences between races/genders is abysmal, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to stats and drops.

Arksenth
Apr 28, 2014, 02:55 PM
The Sonic Knuckles were event-based, but they're so common to the point that everyone got one that you'll be able to pick up one in the shop for incredibly little.

For PSO2, you'll find that being beefy isn't really possible unless you're planning on sacrificing some major damage to the point that you're almost entirely gimped - normal gameplay pretty much involves being one or two or three-shotted, and avoiding damage is going to be mostly centered around dodging or blocking. So temper that expectation from the start.

Race doesn't really matter except for the outfits that you can equip. Check the PSO2 Cirnopedia and see if you like fleshie outfits or cast parts more. You can freely change minor appearance points like eye color or hairstyle for free or pay 500 AC for a more in-depth appearance change, but it's in your best interests to make your character look as perfect to you as possible from the very outset.

Nothing for section ID. Have fun customizing!

Hobu
Apr 28, 2014, 03:31 PM
The game is too easy if you ask me. Even with shit abilities on 10* and 11* items, the 70+ characters deal way too much damage to the point that they really kill everything in 1-2 hits.

People spend more on clothing than actual gear, so don't be a fool and buy costumes before weapons and armor. I'd rather look like complete crap but with high tier gear than look fashionable wearing weapons that can barely dent a large mob.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 28, 2014, 04:47 PM
Like many people have been saying...plan out your skill trees before you invest, same with the mag. Don't be afraid to play the game and not level either of them, though. You won't be completely screwed over if you don't level your mag along with your character once you get it, and while the skill tree is a definite boon, you can get by on low levels without a lot of those skills, which you won't be able to access anyway.

In addition, the grind around mid-range sucks, so realize that unlocking everything isn't actually the entire game. It'll be grating to get everything open, but it'll be more fun once everything is available.

All in all, the game is fun. If you don't set your expectations too high.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 28, 2014, 05:06 PM
Finally got in and created my character!!! Yay!!!

Anyways, I made it through the tutorial, though I'm still kind of getting a feel for things. I wound up making a Dueman Braver, but I'm wondering if there's a way to change your appearance later on? Or should I just delete and re-create him now?

Also, can anyone give sort of a run-down what Bravers are like later in the game? I chose him because I saw he could wield a Katana, which seems like a great melee-weapon, but maybe I should go with my gut and pick Hunter instead?

Sizustar
Apr 28, 2014, 06:10 PM
Finally got in and created my character!!! Yay!!!

Anyways, I made it through the tutorial, though I'm still kind of getting a feel for things. I wound up making a Dueman Braver, but I'm wondering if there's a way to change your appearance later on? Or should I just delete and re-create him now?

Also, can anyone give sort of a run-down what Bravers are like later in the game? I chose him because I saw he could wield a Katana, which seems like a great melee-weapon, but maybe I should go with my gut and pick Hunter instead?

It'll cost real money to do major modification ingame later.
What you can c hange is hairstyle, eye style, eye color, some of which need to purchase through player shop for tickets)

Braver...Shunka, Shunka, and Shunka?

Enforcer MKV
Apr 28, 2014, 06:13 PM
Braver...Shunka, Shunka, and Shunka?

Don't encourage him. :l

Vintasticvin
Apr 28, 2014, 06:43 PM
Arr I don't member when the last time I seen us all nice like this? Truly warms me heart seeing this *sigh* if only more threads can be like this.

infiniteeverlasting
Apr 28, 2014, 06:55 PM
Don't encourage him. :l

Shhhhhhh, he'll figure out how unbalanced the game is! dont tell him yet
OOPS* sorry already did :-P

yea to the newbie, braver is the most overpowered class in the whole game (Good choice! welcome aboard on the piss off the forces train! well not really anymore, because they recently came up with their own homing shunka called ilmegid). Once you get the photon art called Shunka shunran, you'll see how ridiculous it is, it makes other classes look like complete trash except for maybe gunner.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 28, 2014, 07:57 PM
Hah, well I'm definitely enjoying the Braver so far! Quick question about MAGs and the Skill-tree, though; are you able to change those to suit each Class, or do you have to be 100% committed to a single Class before doing anything at all? I'm definitely liking the Katana, but I sort of feel like maybe the Hunter gets a more diverse set of options? Plus, even though I'm probably a long ways from getting them, I do like the idea of using the Sonic Knuckle! :D

Also, sorry for bombarding you guys with noob questions! I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up that I can't repair :P

Sizustar
Apr 28, 2014, 08:20 PM
Hah, well I'm definitely enjoying the Braver so far! Quick question about MAGs and the Skill-tree, though; are you able to change those to suit each Class, or do you have to be 100% committed to a single Class before doing anything at all? I'm definitely liking the Katana, but I sort of feel like maybe the Hunter gets a more diverse set of options? Plus, even though I'm probably a long ways from getting them, I do like the idea of using the Sonic Knuckle! :D

Also, sorry for bombarding you guys with noob questions! I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up that I can't repair :P

Hunter is best sub-class.
Melee class Mag can be pretty interchangable, just go all S-atk
You get one skill tree per job, extra tree will cost real money, and unless they give out all skill reset ticket, like the last update, it'll cost real money.
Mag you also only get one, unless you pay real money for extra one.

Efficiancy, Braver is best, Fist, is fighter, it is still a good class, especially RNG fist.
For build, you should go to the guide section and ask there.

AkumaYouji
Apr 28, 2014, 10:55 PM

Mags and skill trees are non reset(unless you pay) able so you would have to either have multiple mags and skill trees(also requires real money) or make a balanced mag(which i think is generally not recommended). eventually you will be able to sub class which allows you to gain skills and use PA's from the subbed class so you can be a braver/hunter and take advantage of both skill trees. so for example i am a hunter/braver and have a katana and a bow that are equippable by hunter so i can use PA's for those weapons (which usually if you aren't subbing or maining braver you cant). as for skill trees i beleive that all the skills from your subclass carry over so for example i have braver mag in my braver skill tree which gives my 50% of my mags dex and turns it into S-atk and R-atk. I also have like weak and normal stance (braver skills) and I can use them as a hunter.

Uhh i hope that made sense? sorry if it didnt id still consider myself fairly new to all this technical stuff.

WildarmsRE5
Apr 28, 2014, 11:56 PM
also, anyone who says costumes costs more than weapons. . .

probably haven't "affixed" their gears yet.

you might wanna learn that early on.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 29, 2014, 12:59 AM
also, anyone who says costumes costs more than weapons. . .

probably haven't "affixed" their gears yet.

you might wanna learn that early on.

It's not that lol, there's just not a whole lot to do end game and content patches are few and far between so all you really can focus on is the costumes.

And yes shunka everything, it's by far the most powerful thing in the game and combined with braver's toggle invincibility it's unstoppable. It will be nerfed soon but lets be honest, the nerf will probably be as pointless as the zonde and fury nerf.

Vetur
Apr 29, 2014, 01:36 AM
Ah, some additional tips I have:

- If you plan to reset your skill tree or mag, a better option is to just buy an additional skill tree or additional mag, because it is actually cheaper.
For mag, if you want to play every class on one character and have money to buy new mags, I suggest having 3 mags. One for S-atk, T-atk, and R-atk.

- If you are sticking to the default mini room, and have multiple characters, this is a good way to deal with the furniture limit and multiple support partners that I used before I had premium... Actually I still use it even with premium just to save space.
Having only one support partner console in your room, and you can use that to summon and talk to your partner, but if you want to share it with an alt character, they must be removed before you change characters or send them off to quests... So what I do is:

1. Summon the partner to the console.
2. Talk to them using the "Talk" function, they sometimes give you a random item.
3. Adjust their equipments as needed.
4. Remove them from the console.
5. Go to your room control panel, left of the exit door, and use that to send them out to quests.
6. Repeat.

Ezodagrom
Apr 29, 2014, 08:06 AM
It's not that lol, there's just not a whole lot to do end game and content patches are few and far between so all you really can focus on is the costumes.

And yes shunka everything, it's by far the most powerful thing in the game and combined with braver's toggle invincibility it's unstoppable. It will be nerfed soon but lets be honest, the nerf will probably be as pointless as the zonde and fury nerf.
The zonde nerf was pointless?
I don't remember what happened right after the nerf, but in the long term, together with the boost to several other techs at level 16, zonde is not the overpowered tech it once was.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 29, 2014, 08:42 AM
Alright, sorry to ask another probably-stupid question, but what is this about a "sub-class"? Does that mean you can equip additional weapon-types or anything, or just getting benefits from both skill-trees? And if the former, would Hunter be better than Braver if all I'm planning to use is close-range weapons, mainly the Katana?

Skyly HUmar
Apr 29, 2014, 08:59 AM
The zonde nerf was pointless?
I don't remember what happened right after the nerf, but in the long term, together with the boost to several other techs at level 16, zonde is not the overpowered tech it once was.

Not anymore but when it was nerfed it still was op. My point is that sega will likely nerf shunka only a tiny bit, because with 90% of players maining braver and having invested a bunch of playtime and in game resources into the class, nerfing it too much would create a very large backlash. They will probably do what they did to zonde, nerf it a tiny bit and gradually catch everything else up with it, but the initial nerf will be minuscule.

Ezodagrom
Apr 29, 2014, 09:15 AM
Alright, sorry to ask another probably-stupid question, but what is this about a "sub-class"? Does that mean you can equip additional weapon-types or anything, or just getting benefits from both skill-trees? And if the former, would Hunter be better than Braver if all I'm planning to use is close-range weapons, mainly the Katana?
Basically you get access to the skill trees from both the main class and subclass, you get 20% of the stats from your subclass added to your main class, and you're allowed to use photon arts for weapons from the subclass, though you can't equip weapons from the subclass unless they're classified as equipable by your main class.

For example, a Hunter with subclass Braver can equip an Agito and use katana photon arts with it, since Agito is classified as an all class weapon. Same thing for the katana Susano Guren, which is classified as equipable by Braver, Force and Hunter. But, the majority of katanas are Braver only, a Hunter with subclass Braver can't equip those.