PDA

View Full Version : Need PS2, PS3, PS4 controller info/suggestions...

Vetur
Apr 29, 2014, 01:23 AM
I have always used my default ps2 controller to play PSO2, but recently while I stupidly attempted to wash the handle part under the sink and accidentally got water right into the buttons... it has started malfunctioning with half-unresponsive buttons.
(Yes, I now know I should have just used a wet cloth/tissue...)

So, I need a new controller, but... I am wondering if I should buy another default PS2 controller, or if I should use a different one, like a PS3 or PS4 one.

I have never tried the PS3 or PS4 controllers, so I have no idea how they actually feel. I have looked up images and reviews, and it seems like the only thing worrying me is the L2 and R2 butons. Well, for the PS4, I am also worried about how pressing the Start/Select works... if it clicks or not.

With my PS2 controller, the L2 and R2 buttons click, and that is where I set my dodge and block function to. I find with the keyboard, it's much harder and extremely tiresome to dash across maps using the knuckles/twin daggers method of spamming dodge and attack. >_< I also find the keyboard very difficult to use my Force on, because I would keep accidentally dodging when I only wanted to move normally, and therefore cancels my skill and wastes PP. It also is much harder to react as quickly to dodging deadly attacks like Elder Falz's attacks... The non-TPS mode in general is just so much easier wiith the controller, and it feels like the only benefit I get from the keyboard is instant subpalette choice and easier to aim with turrets/TPS mode, which I rarely use.
It's very comfortable on the PS2 controller because I'm able to just click that R2 button quickly once, and it instantly dashes. It's not tiring at all compared to the keyboard to just alternate clicking 2 buttons one after the other, whereas on the keyboard I must double-tap to dash and it cramps my fingers within seconds and sometimes doesn't execute on-time.

So my main question is, do the L2 and R2 buttons of a PS3 or PS4 controller click allowing you to instantly have the action done, or is it the type you have to press down all the way, and would be hard to spam-click it? I have a game cube controller, and I know the R/L buttons on that require you to press it down all the way for it to click, and I think that would be too troublesome to dash/block with.

Also, I have a PS2 controller USB adapter, but am unsure if PS3 and PS4 controllers need them or not. I'm also unsure about how charging works, or if it's even possible without owning a PS3/PS4 console.

One of the things keeping me from trying other game console controllers like the Xbox controller, is that I have very small hands, and it's very uncomfortable for me to grab big things like a big computer mouse. My fingers are very short and hard to reach where other people have no problem reaching without cramping, so I feel the PS controllers were made for my tiny hands.

I guess if none of the other controllers are suitable for this, I would stick to buying the old PS2 controller, though.

Silver Crow
Apr 29, 2014, 02:18 AM
I used a ps3 controller for the longest time, the l2 and r2 on the ps2 controller are better for dashing. but I still dash perfectly fine with the trigger buttons on the ps3. no idea why'd buy a ps4 controller for pso2.

Vetur
Apr 29, 2014, 02:59 AM
I used a ps3 controller for the longest time, the l2 and r2 on the ps2 controller are better for dashing. but I still dash perfectly fine with the trigger buttons on the ps3. no idea why'd buy a ps4 controller for pso2.

Ah, I see. Then I might just stick to the PS2 controller, since that's my priority at the moment.
Thanks!

otakun
Apr 29, 2014, 06:28 AM
The only reason to use the PS3 controller over the PS2 is for wireless bluetooth capabilities. You can download multiple programs to make your computer believe that your PS3 controller is an Xbox one for gaming which makes compatibility a little better then a USB controller and it is easily charged with a mini USB cable connected to your computer. Might be something to look into if your bored and interested in updating but I think unless you get a cheap PS3 controller, it's not really worth the price.

DJcooltrainer
Apr 29, 2014, 08:22 AM
Since you've already got the adapter for PS2 controllers, I'd just buy another one. You can find them dirt cheap at most 2nd hand game shops or ebay these days. I really don't think the dualshock 3 would really offer any improvement for PSO2, unless you prefer the trigger buttons from the PS3 (I don't). Dualshock 4 would be awesome, and I've heard they make great PC controllers, but they're a little on the pricey end.

Btw what USB adapter do you use? I have a bunch of PS2 controllers and arcade sticks that might be nice to use on my PC.

Vetur
Apr 29, 2014, 10:10 AM
Since you've already got the adapter for PS2 controllers, I'd just buy another one. You can find them dirt cheap at most 2nd hand game shops or ebay these days. I really don't think the dualshock 3 would really offer any improvement for PSO2, unless you prefer the trigger buttons from the PS3 (I don't). Dualshock 4 would be awesome, and I've heard they make great PC controllers, but they're a little on the pricey end.

Btw what USB adapter do you use? I have a bunch of PS2 controllers and arcade sticks that might be nice to use on my PC.

I use a PS2 USB adapter that I bought really cheap on Ebay. I think it was like $2 or $3 with free shipping, but I forgot who the seller was. >.<
It's a sort of see-through blue color and a weird triangle-like shape that allows two controllers to be plugged at once, which is kinda neat even though I will probably never use both at once. XD

Also, thanks everyone for the info/advice. I have decided to just go with another PS2 controller after all since I didn't have any real issues with it(besides the hard D-pad which I am used to now that my thumbs have callused), so it should be arriving in 2 or so days. Hopefully doesn't get delayed, since my fingers are cramping from keyboarding already. xD

I did tell my friend about it, and so he tried out his controller and was telling me how much easier it is to dodge/move with it too, so I guess it's not just me after all.

Squall179
Apr 29, 2014, 11:53 AM
IF you decide to try an XBox controller, its actually possible to use one thats suited for your hands. Look up the brand named Power A, lemme find a link to the model I'm talking about here, They make one that works better for smaller hands like mine that might work for you, its physically the same size as a PS2 controller and the buttons are a little closer together.

http://blaineallenbrown.com/projects/vghr/ A review of it for you, incase you do decide to investigate other options. like said i nthe review, the triggers are enough that they respond like the PS2 L/R2 on something that does not use analog triggers (i.e. they respond immediately to pulling, even a slight bit, but are stiff enough that you won't accidentally dodge if you set the controller on your lap, unlike the PS3 design which is far too soft and mushy feeling on the pull)

Personally, I use a Twinstick setup from Virtual-On and car racing pedals in a mutated hellscape of a control scheme because I'm used to it for mech games BUT, I use that green thing I linked ya when I'm playing from my laptop at hotels and the like. Easier to transport.

Arkanoid
Apr 29, 2014, 01:14 PM
If you ever try to play on keyboard again, look for the option to disable the double-tap dashing for the movement keys. That option wasn't there at first and it took them something like 7 months from launch to add this feature. As a keyboard user I have to say it's still pretty much the most important update that was done xD