PDA

View Full Version : Functionality of Weapons vs Opinion

Neinth
Feb 16, 2001, 06:02 PM
I have read a lot of opinions on weapons like "X is just cool" and "I use y because it does better damage" but what about when to use what type of weapon?

As a Hunter I suggest the following:

Saber: Use if you want high damage on a single target. Useful for trying the special effects like draw/heart/etc.

Sword: Good for gaining exp when in a form because it's easy to hit lots of foes. Not too useful for pulling special effects. Great for mines.

Daggers: Very good for high accuracy and fast kill. If you want to quickly take out a particular dangerous foe as fast as possible use daggers. They look like they have crappy stats but they actually do more damage because they hit more times per combo.(hitting 3 times for 100 is nice but hitting 6 times for 70 is much better) Be warned that you need to combo with these and don't use on a group because you will get surrounded easier.

Slicers: Too slow to be useful.

Axe-like type: Similar to sword. I haven't really used. I have hear less damage than swords but more accurate.

Anyone have a similar breakdown for gun types?

Neinth

Seutekh
Feb 16, 2001, 06:15 PM
Oops.. ya missed one.

Pole-Arm class: (Partisan, Halberd, etc.)

Similar to the sword class in that it hits multiple enemies, and has about the same speed, range, and rate of attack. Lower damage, but it's traded for a higher accuracy and evasion rating.

Mediocre for using special attacks, right below sabre due to it's higher accuracy rating.

Plug in some accuracy slot items and watch those enemies fry, freeze, fricasee or just fall over dead.

DCKaz
Feb 16, 2001, 07:04 PM
well being a force I can't say a ton about guns but the following-

handgun/autogun/lockgun/railgun line:
nice accuracy, speed, range, quick to line up, quick to fire, quick to move afterwards.

rifle- think longer range, otherwise seems like the above (anyone else? haven't done a lot with my lowbie ranger yet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif)

mech gun/repeater line:
poor accuracy, range, but a lot of fast pulses. You're also more vunerable, locked in a recovery mode afterwards. Doing a chain allows for quiet a lot of shots though.

I have a havoc repeater +8 which is a kick, *especially* when I had to go back and do lower levels.. a '3tap' and any oomba was dead. That said, that normally was true with my railgun.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say the 'repeater' styles are solid for yard trash, mowing them down when in a hurry. But for shots that matter, precision, and actually hitting now and then when the monsters are rather tough, the single shot guns were better.. also for the fact I could move quicker after I was done. Add in the longer range.. I quickly tossed the repeater back in the bag fighting plants in the caves as I had to get to the edge of their range. Meanwhile I'd pick them off with my longer range guns with ease.

Of course on hard I used my Foie, as my attack power isn't where it would need to be to be effective with such guns on hard.

Areas like ruins too, a handgun is a lot better, you almost can't adjust quick enough to the cardines with a spreader, and multiple shots when you've already knocked one robot down isn't as good as already moving to the next one and knocking them all back with a single shooter. In general where speed is useful and the monsters tough, I found the 'mowing' guns less useful.

I'm sure a real gunner will go a lot farther with this http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers,
DCKaz

Seutekh
Feb 16, 2001, 07:44 PM
Well... I can only expound on what you just said a little... my ranger pretty much just sits there. (I'm having WAY too much fun with my original character still)

Handgun class, not much to add, other than because of their usually high accuracy, their speciel attacks work very well. Shadow Handgun=instant death for a lot of bad mofos.

Mechgun/repeater class:

I've got a lot to say on this one guys, grab a cigarette and a glass of water, you're gonna be here a while.

This weapon class seems to run into the same problem as the Partisian class. We don't get to the good stuff until way too late.

You can find a raygun in hard mode... sometimes as early as the caves, but usually in the mines--while finding a vulcan is (expletive) near impossible anywhere but in the V-hard mines and ruins.

By the time your accuracy is good enough to use a vulcan, you might miss one shot out of a full burst (that's three normal shots... I think it's six shots per press... for a total of 18 shots!) the damage per shot is considerably less, but while my teammates are still plugging away at enemies one at a time, (some of them are hunters a few levels higher than me) I've mowed down half the room.

Think about this for a moment... With my Varista I do about 120-150 damage per hit. Best case 150 x 3 = 450 points of damage.

I do 70-90 points with my vulcan. Worst case (and missing half my shots--hasn't happened yet) 70 x 9 = 630

However, the recovery time and range are both major drawbacks. The range is not as good as the handgun, so you have to get relatively close and the recovery leaves you wide open...

If you're alone and on V-Hard they move to fast for this to be an effective weapon. If you got back-up, or are on any other setting go for it, as long as you have one that's comparable power to the other weapons you have. (Don't go trying this with a Repeater on Hard. If you can get a railgun, then the comparable mechgun is a gatling for example)

In short, It's a (expletive) fine weapon if you can get a good one, but even still, use it only after you're sure you can handle it. It's taken me about four hours of gameplay to perfect my technique, but I can mow down the baddies on V-Hard like a John Woo character on crack.

Wasabi
Feb 16, 2001, 08:10 PM
I like the partisan/halberd weapons myself.....A bit less damage than swords, but more accurate and better evasion. Plus there is the added bonus of hitting and possibly taking out several enemies at once.

Reiko_Nagase
Feb 17, 2001, 08:08 AM
Here's my take on the utilities of each gun class according to thier classes:

Handguns: Mid to close range combat, fairly fast rate of fire, and the stongest gun class in damage per shot. This is my preferred gun for normal combat since there's hardly any lag between the time I shoot and when I start moving again (which I will call holstering speed from now on). This gun is perfect for the player who likes to mix it up with the enemies but still want to be able to move quickly, Resident Evil style. Also, the Fierce shot does some major enemy pushback, which is good for buffering enemies between you and them. If you're a Ranger with high ATA, try doing a triple fierce combo. You'll be amazed how far you've pushed back an enemy...

Rifles: Like the handgun, but sacrifices power for range. Also has a slightly slower rate of fire and slightly higher holstering lag than the handgun, but it's barely noticeable until your enemies get into close range. Pushback's the same as the handgun. It's best to use this gun where you need some considerable space between you and the enemy or you need that extra reach. Just make sure that when the enemy gets into close range, you're already finding a new spot to snipe at.

Repeaters: I hate these. Very fast rate of fire at the sacrifice of range, power per shot and holstering speed. Only use this weapon when there's only one enemy in the room and you feel comfortable going up close or if it's a Heart, Draw, or Master's Repeater...

Shotguns: Very useful gun here. You may lose a high rate of fire and range, but that's a good tradeoff for the ability to hit multiple enemies. However, make sure that you keep them at far to mid range or you're going to have problems when they swarm you.

---

Something off-topic: Why is it that RAmars and RAcasts always sit back in the doorway and shoot with their rifles? Maybe it's just me (being a RAcaseal), but I think it's more fun mixing it up with my handgun, dodging in and out Resident Evil-style. *shrug*

Mars
Feb 17, 2001, 02:11 PM
Here is my Gun Breakdown:

Handguns : Rangers will only go with them in low Levels, because the very first Rifle-style Guns are a bit slower and because of the yet lower ATA more difficult to aim with. Even though some of them aren`t that bad, it`s nothing but a standard Handgun for every Class.

Rifles: The Ranger`s Pride. One of the Rangers goal is to find one the legendary Rifles named and made by the 3 Masters: Wals, Visk and Justy.
While the VISK is a pretty common loot, the WALS and JUSTY are not found that often.
As soon as a Ranger can equip a Sniper or Blaster, they should do so and forget about the Handguns.
If i`d compare the Rifle to a Hunter`s Weapon, I`d say, it`s like a Saber. Much damage on one Target and specials working pretty good.

Shotguns: Another Ranger-only Weapon. A Shotgun could be compared to a Sword: Slower, less damage but hits multiple Enemies at once. Because of the recharging-time, this Weapon should be used as a backup for Hunters in the Front Line. Good for dealing with crowds of Enemies.
Just like the Rifles, the first Shotguns aren`t that good. The higher level ones however are very useful (Especially the Special Weapons).
Other than with a Sword, Special Attacks working pretty good with them.
(Possibly because your Combos won`t be interrupted that often by an Enemie`s hit)
The Meteor Smash for example, draws TP from the Enemies and you can hit 6+ of them at a time. Do the Math and you can imagine how fast your TP Bar will go up if you fire that Baby into a Crowd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Machineguns : I saw a lot of Hunters having fun with these.
Nice Damage if fired in combos and there`s a good chance getting Specials to work. But overall a pretty bad range and accuracy.
Every Class can equip it and it`s a good laugh seeing a FOnewearl walking with mechguns http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif
Just like in Real Live, Machineguns are close combat Weapons.

To Reiko_Nagase:
Especially as RAcaseal you can do the tactic you described pretty well, since you have a good deal of HP and a even better evasion ability.
However, if the Group is complete and good balanced, most Rangers doing their job not in the Front Line.
If the Enemies are strong, this wouldn`t do them very good anyways.
Try to dodge in and out in the Ruins on VHard and you`ll soon have good deal of them chasing after you ... running at about the same speed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Ciao
Mars

Mr_Blond
Feb 17, 2001, 03:33 PM
I can say that as a RAcast, my role on the team has always been the point man, whether I'm playing with the Americans or the Japanese. I just seem to always end up in that role all the time. That's why I'm always sniping enemies from the doorways, or decoying them away to the other side of the room so my teammates can sneak up behind.

As far as my choice of weapons, I like the Varista as a handgun the most. I have four different ones with attributes for each area. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif For AT&T long distance sniping, I'll either use a Visk or my trust Laser +25. As for spread-type weapons, Crush Bullets come in handy when you need the experience, but also when they can do decent damage to many foes (like in the ruins on v.hard). A good support gun for multiplayer but not the greatest when you're alone. The machine gun class... I don't use them because they're too damn slow. Never mind the damage might possibly be more.