PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 why doesnt sega just come out and say theres no west release

adonis565
May 1, 2014, 07:53 PM
clearly there not going to release it here so just come out and disappoint their phantasy star fans like they always do

Sizustar
May 1, 2014, 07:56 PM
Or they are still waiting for a buyer for the US release like Taiwan and Sea~

Shadowth117
May 1, 2014, 08:17 PM
Or they are still waiting for a buyer for the US release like Taiwan and Sea~

Lol, inb4 EA buy. Good game if so.

Yden
May 1, 2014, 08:22 PM
Lol, inb4 EA buy. Good game if so.

Most MMO companies aren't very good in general. It's really a recurring thing in my history of MMOs that the players always think the company running their game is the worst company out there when most of them are equally bad, although not always in the same ways.

ShinMaruku
May 1, 2014, 08:24 PM
clearly there not going to release it here so just come out and disappoint their phantasy star fans like they always do

That's leaving money on the table potentially. Therefore even with no plans you shant tell if you do or don't in case the fact that you do. It could also be they have bigger fish to fry and talking about that is not on their table at the moment.

Daemon Gildas
May 1, 2014, 08:33 PM
Honestly, the answer is probably "Because they don't stand to gain anything if they do". I think it's really crappy to leave fans in the dark, but they clearly don't think the game will do well in the West (which is surprising, given how pervasive the f2p market is right now), and they probably think "If we neither confirm or deny its cancellation, we shouldn't paint ourselves into any worse of a position".

I just wish they would officially launch a fully-translated version of the game's client, and dedicate a single Ship to English-speaking players. Even if the server stayed in Japan to cut costs, it would be a Win-Win situation; the translation is already complete, and we would get content the same time as Japan (versus the nightmare that was PSU).

Shadowth117
May 1, 2014, 08:34 PM
It could also be they have bigger fish to fry and talking about that is not on their table at the moment.

That's 2 years of bigger fish then. Lets be real here: Sega is a fairly decent sized company. That's not the issue.

gigawuts
May 1, 2014, 08:36 PM
They don't want to lock themselves into anything.

That's it, really. They aren't moving forward for whatever reason, but don't want to say they never will move forward.

May 1, 2014, 09:19 PM
you know by releasing the patch they are less inclined than ever to release the game stateside. they are already getting our money and they don't even have to buy more infrastructure that is based in the west. this is a win/win for them. i've been saying this since pso2 began, but the more we are entrenched/financially invested we are in the jp servers the less likely they are to release. you know they are doing financial analytics and know how much they are making off us through proxy services. sega isn't stupid, this is a cost effective move. some people in the community gave sega the game for free, why would they bother localizing (which would cost millions fyi) and buying local servers? yeah, big wonder why they won't release it in the west.

reptile7383
May 1, 2014, 10:04 PM
They don't want to lock themselves into anything.

That's it, really. They aren't moving forward for whatever reason, but don't want to say they never will move forward.

Which can be accomplished by saying: "We aren't currently planning on releasing it but we may reevaluate our stance in the future".

The real reason: They have no respect for their fans and fear the bad publicity of publicly canceling the game.

reptile7383
May 1, 2014, 10:06 PM
sega isn't stupid

You do know that this is the company that actually competed with itself in the console wars, right?

May 1, 2014, 10:37 PM
You do know that this is the company that actually competed with itself in the console wars, right?
you might note that sega restructured its company and restored its brand post dreamcast, if you want to argue this from a business standpoint they are doing infinitely better since they exited the home hardware market and focused on arcade and consumer software. the sega we have now is an entirely different company. from a shareholder's perspective there is more faith than ever in the company.

in fact, i have a decent analogue for this situation. you're trying to argue that the atari brand is the same thing after et flopped and they switched to software only.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 1, 2014, 11:04 PM
You know, it could honestly be that a final decision has not yet been made.

It still doesn't look good at this stage, though.

Jazneo
May 2, 2014, 01:09 AM
playpark.com is release the English verison

Tyreek
May 2, 2014, 02:04 AM
playpark.com is release the English verison

And only allows South East Asian residents to play on it.

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2014, 02:51 AM
That's 2 years of bigger fish then. Lets be real here: Sega is a fairly decent sized company. That's not the issue.

Not fairly decent they are huge. It likely is not the issue but it's more as said before ,they wish to not lock themselves down.

landman
May 2, 2014, 03:03 AM
I'm still wondering in what kind of game needed Relic someone with fluent Japanese and English, programming skills, experience in managing online games and constant contact with a Japanese development team and learning overseas with said team for some months. But then again, things can always be cancelled, and if they ever got the guy he/she provably got paid vacations!

Totori
May 2, 2014, 04:55 AM
Because the game isn't cancelled. It's just in limbo for all we know, so there really isn't anything that SEGA can say without getting the green light.

SEGA and NCSOFT are currently having a sleepover, seeing who can disappoint their fans more.

Vetur
May 2, 2014, 08:21 AM
They should just make Aida's translation official and let us keep playing on the JP PSO2 servers. They could even make a ship or two be officially English, and allow free transfers to/from them for awhile.

I remember I heard from somewhere(might have been just speculation), Sega didn't want to take chances with a western release because they think it wouldn't make as much money as it does in Asia, but that's kind of stupid and unfair to at least give a chance. I am sure they have more than enough money to spare giving it a try, and that is underestimating the western MMO gamers' spending. Even if we're not as gacha-crazy as Japanese, we still spend way more than enough for a good MMO to sustain itself and gain profit.

Shinamori
May 2, 2014, 08:44 AM
Whatever happened to the Relic thing?

Lostbob117
May 2, 2014, 08:44 AM
They should just make Aida's translation official and let us keep playing on the JP PSO2 servers. They could even make a ship or two be officially English, and allow free transfers to/from them for awhile.

I remember I heard from somewhere(might have been just speculation), Sega didn't want to take chances with a western release because they think it wouldn't make as much money as it does in Asia, but that's kind of stupid and unfair to at least give a chance. I am sure they have more than enough money to spare giving it a try, and that is underestimating the western MMO gamers' spending. Even if we're not as gacha-crazy as Japanese, we still spend way more than enough for a good MMO to sustain itself and gain profit.

You know- :l

Why do I even bother anymore?

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
May 2, 2014, 09:15 AM
It's strange people still ask about western release. The story, the items and menus are all patched in English now. Why on earth are people waiting and complaining about waiting when they could all be enjoying the game right now. There's plenty of english speaking players to play with.

Tifa

Vintasticvin
May 2, 2014, 10:57 AM
It's strange people still ask about western release. The story, the items and menus are all patched in English now. Why on earth are people waiting and complaining about waiting when they could all be enjoying the game right now. There's plenty of english speaking players to play with.

Tifa

People don't want to play on a japanese server, depending on having to wait for the Translation Team to get the game playable along with the hurdles to overcome just to purchase essential and cosmetic addons with

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2014, 11:07 AM
you might note that sega restructured its company and restored its brand post dreamcast, if you want to argue this from a business standpoint they are doing infinitely better since they exited the home hardware market and focused on arcade and consumer software. the sega we have now is an entirely different company. from a shareholder's perspective there is more faith than ever in the company.

in fact, i have a decent analogue for this situation. you're trying to argue that the atari brand is the same thing after et flopped and they switched to software only.

Very true, Sega has 2 bllion dollars in the bank at this moment (And that is separate from the other assets they have) They are VERY flush with cash. It would be wrong to call them stupid, the pso2 team in incompetent you can argue but the company is not stupid it just does not understand the western market as they would like to.

Daemon Gildas
May 2, 2014, 11:19 AM

That's precisely what they should do. All it would cost them is whatever it takes for another server or two, and they would be opening up for a MASSIVE audience. Those of us who play JP servers are likely the extreme minority of people who want to play PSO2.

landman
May 2, 2014, 11:25 AM
They can't do that, because all the collaborations, and legislations they had to fulfil are exclusivelly for Japan, they can't offer their product to a different country without fulfilling said countries legislations, and without new contracts for all the collaborations.

Yden
May 2, 2014, 12:25 PM
They can't do that, because all the collaborations, and legislations they had to fulfil are exclusivelly for Japan, they can't offer their product to a different country without fulfilling said countries legislations, and without new contracts for all the collaborations.

It's not really the country's legislation but the fact some of the rights of the things may belong to another company in the other country. Licensing logistics is a nightmare in general which is why crossover games and such like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom was almost not released outside of Japan but when it was, they needed to cut a character from the roster (Hakushon Daimao) because of added licensing issues that came up.

May 2, 2014, 01:30 PM

You don't know much about localization, do you? Most fan translations are not professional enough. Fan translations that turn into localizations enter hell in terms of QCing and okaying from the JP teams. This leads back to the crux of my other post: they don't need to spend any money right now. The game has a translation that captures the core audience that is most likely to PAY for the game. We are already paying, your argument is based on a false premise... That we will start paying once we have EN servers. Refer to my other post before asking questions, it's annoying having to reiterate the same shit ad nauseum.

Gardios
May 2, 2014, 01:36 PM
If that one guy who talked with the seaPSO2 producer is to believed, the translation is straight from SEGA themselves and the translation actually is good enough for me to believe it. The strange translations are likely "touch-ups" from Asiasoft itself.

infiniteeverlasting
May 2, 2014, 01:51 PM
It's always him and by the way onigiri who constantly wann flame others and create drama. Oh, and don't forget that zitzo guy.

Tweaker was a huge help, so actually she does deserve the attention IMO.
I mean, can you even system.out.println? She did the big job for us of making it easier to download and patch pso2 for us, appreciate it.

Edit: LOL and there he is! The frog beat me to it.

UnLucky
May 2, 2014, 01:56 PM
There's definitely more people who would play on an officially localized server rather than join the Japanese, but would it be enough to cover costs?

If you ask me, you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to come crawling back to SoA, so I'd make fun of you even if there was no patch available.

DJcooltrainer
May 2, 2014, 02:00 PM
There's definitely more people who would play on an officially localized server rather than join the Japanese, but would it be enough to cover costs?

If you ask me, you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to come crawling back to SoA, so I'd make fun of you even if there was no patch available.

Yeah, I made the mistake of playing the NA PSO:BB servers. I remember it being one of the most frustrating online gaming experiences of my life, and then it just shuts down before the JP servers do. Pretty much the same thing happened with PSU, thank god I played on the JP server for the brief period of time I actually played. Also see: PSP2i.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

holmwood
May 2, 2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know if anyone's keeping count, but it's been like 2011 since Steparu first posted the trailer for PSO2. We've been waiting for about 3 years now for the english update...

So carry on with the discussion. But I feel like we're just too old to be doing this waiting shtick. :lol: Especially since cooler games are coming out soon, and I don't want to sit here waiting for updates to trickle from a company that has already pissed off it's english fanbase and taken it for granted.

May 2, 2014, 02:21 PM
On Topic: Yeah, at this point if Sega of America were to publish the game I'd like to know

1) Content Release Schedule

2) Server Locations

The problems that plague EU players won't fare much better if the servers are located on the West Coast. I think everyone and their mom (even if they don't TA) has point #1 on the mind when they hear SoA

It's always him and by the way onigiri who constantly wann flame others and create drama. Oh, and don't forget that zitzo guy.

Tweaker was a huge help, so actually she does deserve the attention IMO.
I mean, can you even system.out.println? She did the big job for us of making it easier to download and patch pso2 for us, appreciate it.

Edit: LOL and there he is! The frog beat me to it.
My post wasn't actually unproductive as a whole, like your last two were. You're not even discussing the issue at hand, which is the localization of PSO2. Your first post is pure adhominem, while your second most recent post in this thread is not only ad hominem leveledd at multiple users but fanboyism. And I'll respond to your third ad hominem: I have programming experience. You should be more cautious in your criticisms. I don't think BTW-Niji was saying no one cares in response to me, btw.

Vetur
May 2, 2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry that I did not read the credits for the English patch. I assumed Aida was in charge of leading it or something since there was an in-game tip saying to contact her to help translate...
Either way, though, I think it's better to have volunteered to translate knowing you wouldn't become popular or anything. After all, the goal is to make the game easier to play for English-speakers, not to take advantage of it to gain popularity, just like any volunteer position. I would think it's about helping to make things work better to get more people playing, and learning from the experience... perhaps that's only my way of thinking, though.

But, I agree it's not right to call anyone on this forum such words(aren't there rules against it?)... D: I don't know how that can't be seen as disrespectful.

Totori
May 2, 2014, 02:55 PM
I'm just tired of all the lag, no english voice support. And the events I can't attend, English PSU/ PSOBB wasn't too bad from what I seen. All we really didn't get was JP centered content, like some crazy collaborations.

SEGA of America did a pretty decent job, as I didn't really ever run into an error with them. So when the server does kick off, I'd gladly hop over.

Vetur
May 2, 2014, 03:08 PM
I would at least get on the English version to try it out, and if they didn't screw it up like they did with SEA(costumes being bound), I would consider staying even if they didn't have the anime stuff(would probably still keep JP PSO2 on the side to play with the anime stuff).

My main reason would be to be able to buy AC without the markup, since I have no CC and never plan to get one.
Also to have more people that understand English humor(even if you're fluent in Japanese, there's just no way to translate some of English humor and jokes, that is a bummer when making Japanese friends).
It's also really really hard to balance my English and Japanese friends... like if you want to party both at the same time, you have to translate everything you say, or risk one friend feeling left out... it really sucks. That's why my autowords are like "ありがとう! Thanks!"

infiniteeverlasting
May 2, 2014, 03:42 PM
#froglyfe

very on topic as well^
whatever you say 6969 :-?

edit: you can program. good, well why don't you go make the tweaker instead? i'd gladly use it. not critisizing you, just reminding you not to be so critical ;)

May 2, 2014, 04:55 PM
very on topic as well^
whatever you say 6969 :-?

edit: you can program. good, well why don't you go make the tweaker instead? i'd gladly use it. not critisizing you, just reminding you not to be so critical ;)
because i play the game in japanese.

reptile7383
May 2, 2014, 05:27 PM

And yet sega of America has recently fired a large portion of thier staff. I dont get why people give the benefit of the doubt to sega knowing what they are doing when they constantly butcher their best franchise.

May 2, 2014, 05:39 PM
And yet sega of America has recently fired a large portion of thier staff. I dont get why people give the benefit of the doubt to sega knowing what they are doing when they constantly butcher their best franchise.

there are different shades of extremity when it comes to corporate restructuring. they aren't doing this because they are going under, btw. it's to return to profitability by eliminating redundant positions and thinning the payroll. many electronics businesses aren't profitable from time to time but that doesn't mean the sky is falling. there is no benefit of the doubt here, i already covered how they will probably fuck up the na release if it ever happens.

Jazneo
May 3, 2014, 07:52 AM
It would be funny if Sea company playpark.net host is using that patch aida and other made so just they can have English version lol

WildarmsRE5
May 3, 2014, 08:26 AM
unfortunately, the SEA version isn't using it.

I can confirm it, I participated in the SEA-- errr SHIT Beta cause I live in SEA.

Digital Pain
May 3, 2014, 04:40 PM
All I want to know is what happened in between the time Sega announced a West release! what caused them to delay/cancel it? its not like they did any poles to see if there was actual demand or lack there of in the west

Jazneo
May 3, 2014, 06:09 PM
All I want to know is what happened in between the time Sega announced a West release! what caused them to delay/cancel it? its not like they did any poles to see if there was actual demand or lack there of in the west

Sega America has poor Marketing skills.

GHNeko
May 21, 2014, 09:10 AM
There hasnt been since....Dreamcast. Maybe GC.

It's an extremely niche franchise and SoJ, like other Japanese countriesCOMPANIES and unlike SQE, hasnt yet realized that the western hemisphere actually LIKES JRPGs.

Though really, SoJ just has its head up its ass and conversely that affects SoE who happens to hold power over SoA, who is a bitch to everyone lol.

Financially, Sega is on top of the world, but fuck everything else. That's why from OUR perspective, Sega looks fucking insane...until you look at their stocks and read their fiscal reports.

Yden
May 21, 2014, 09:12 AM
I don't think I've ever seen an EN Phantasy Star advertisement... anywhere.

They had a PAX booth that one time and that's pretty much a big piece of advertising these days since Adblock.

Anon_Fire
May 21, 2014, 10:49 AM
They had a PAX booth that one time and that's pretty much a big piece of advertising these days since Adblock.

AIDA actually meant a TV advertisement.

Yden
May 21, 2014, 11:41 AM
AIDA actually meant a TV advertisement.

TV isn't a very good way to advertise these days especially to the market that would play PSO2. The younger crowd doesn't watch much if any TV anymore because of Youtube, Netflix, and other on demand stuff. If you wanted to advertise, you'd need to put the ads on those types of services but there's still the inherit problem of adblock keeping said group from seeing the ads.

Xorium
May 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
It's an extremely niche franchise and SoJ, like other Japanese countries and unlike SQE, hasnt yet realized that the western hemisphere actually LIKES JRPGs.

It's an extremely niche franchise and SoJ, like other Japanese countries and unlike SQE,

like other Japanese countries and unlike SQE,

like other Japanese countries

Japanese countries

:-? ok

GHNeko
May 21, 2014, 12:21 PM
I meant companies. God damn it. I even read that post over like twice.

Egg on my face regardless.

TV isn't a very good way to advertise these days especially to the market that would play PSO2. The younger crowd doesn't watch much if any TV anymore because of Youtube, Netflix, and other on demand stuff. If you wanted to advertise, you'd need to put the ads on those types of services but there's still the inherit problem of adblock keeping said group from seeing the ads.

I disagree. TV is still a decent way to advertise as long as your demographic targeting is on point. It's not like they'd just blindly advertise on PBS at 2100 or something similarly silly.

They would be better off pursuing other platforms though. Targeted advertisments on Hulu and Netflix for SCIFI shows and Anime shows. Same thing on youtube. Advertisement on video that are related to Sega in some way. Yeah adblock exists, but not on mobile youtube (to my knowledge) and not everyone uses or can use adblock for whatever reason. People who watch YT at work for example, as there are metric tons of work computers that cant be modified and lock you to IE. (lol DoD)

Shiiit. They could hit up TWITCH and they would DEFF grab eyeballs.

If they Steam'd up PSO2, and put the game in the daily login advertisement, then they'll pull in a lot of players. Of course though. SoJ doesn't give the impression they know much about PC gaming and most of the publishing of Sega games is done by either SoA or SoE. Like I'm sure they know PC is a viable platform, but in terms of using that platform to create an install base and inflate their userbase? Idk if they're that far along. Which is hilarious since Sega sells well on PC thanks to shit like Total Wars internationally and Football Manager in Europe. SASR 1 and 2 so well and Generations is the preferred version out of the 3.

It's crazy man.

Sizustar
May 21, 2014, 01:01 PM

Actually, they still do TV cm for MMORPG in Taiwan and Japan.
Don't think just because the US doesn't watch cable as much, that other country is the same.

Japan PSO2 TV cm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQQ3Y2IK_E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQQ3Y2IK_E

Taiwan CM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqikROIQJGo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqikROIQJGo

Taiwan Game TV channel introducing PSO2 segment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PvS830O8o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PvS830O8o

Yden
May 21, 2014, 03:13 PM
I disagree. TV is still a decent way to advertise as long as your demographic targeting is on point. It's not like they'd just blindly advertise on PBS at 2100 or something similarly silly.

They would be better off pursuing other platforms though. Targeted advertisments on Hulu and Netflix for SCIFI shows and Anime shows. Same thing on youtube. Advertisement on video that are related to Sega in some way. Yeah adblock exists, but not on mobile youtube (to my knowledge) and not everyone uses or can use adblock for whatever reason. People who watch YT at work for example, as there are metric tons of work computers that cant be modified and lock you to IE. (lol DoD)

Shiiit. They could hit up TWITCH and they would DEFF grab eyeballs.

If they Steam'd up PSO2, and put the game in the daily login advertisement, then they'll pull in a lot of players. Of course though. SoJ doesn't give the impression they know much about PC gaming and most of the publishing of Sega games is done by either SoA or SoE. Like I'm sure they know PC is a viable platform, but in terms of using that platform to create an install base and inflate their userbase? Idk if they're that far along. Which is hilarious since Sega sells well on PC thanks to shit like Total Wars internationally and Football Manager in Europe. SASR 1 and 2 so well and Generations is the preferred version out of the 3.

It's crazy man.

The problem is outside of a few cable channels, there really isn't much of a demographic watching TV that would also play PSO2. Most people around that age has moved to become an demand culture so TV itself isn't really as good as like you say something like twitch. There's a reason this whole FCC anti net neutrality, pro fast lanes thing is happening. Cable companies are scared to death about services like Netflix which have been killing off their subscriber base. There's a reason why there are places where it costs more for just plain cable internet as opposed to a cable internet and cable TV package. These companies need to at least give the illusion that nothing is wrong at least until they figure out how they can figure out how to screw customers over some more.

Actually, they still do TV cm for MMORPG in Taiwan and Japan.
Don't think just because the US doesn't watch cable as much, that other country is the same.

Japan PSO2 TV cm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQQ3Y2IK_E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQQ3Y2IK_E)

Taiwan CM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqikROIQJGo

Taiwan Game TV channel introducing PSO2 segment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PvS830O8o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PvS830O8o)

Well I was talking about TV in the west. US particularly, TV isn't very popular anymore when many companies are giving on demand version of their shows.

GHNeko
May 21, 2014, 03:33 PM
The problem is outside of a few cable channels, there really isn't much of a demographic watching TV that would also play PSO2. Most people around that age has moved to become an demand culture so TV itself isn't really as good as like you say something like twitch. There's a reason this whole FCC anti net neutrality, pro fast lanes thing is happening. Cable companies are scared to death about services like Netflix which have been killing off their subscriber base. There's a reason why there are places where it costs more for just plain cable internet as opposed to a cable internet and cable TV package. These companies need to at least give the illusion that nothing is wrong at least until they figure out how they can figure out how to screw customers over some more.

Yeah that's a fair point, but there still is a large portion of our age group and demographic that have cable as a lot of us get the cable internet package to save hassle and money. So while I wouldnt try to get prime time slots, I'd seek trying to put it on channels that the PSO2 would most likely watch, even idly. I can count a good amount of times I've been in a house with the TV on in the background and I'm doing my own thing but as soon as a commercial comes on with music that catches my attention. I watch.

Daiyousei
May 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

I remember back then on TV they'd advertise a whole bunch of crap on TV aimed at kids, now all I see are "Ask your doctor about X"

Edt: and getting cable isn't worth the money because there's like only a handful of TV shows I'm actually interested in.

Tenlade
May 22, 2014, 06:18 PM
PSO2 Commercial - Anything is possible - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK3lTUvZcVk)

I Love that dancing ingame is a legit selling point in an ad.

Kondibon
May 22, 2014, 06:36 PM
Isn't the problem that they haven't been advertising in the west at all? A single showing at a press thing doesn't really count. :/

BIG OLAF
May 22, 2014, 06:39 PM
Isn't the problem that they haven't been advertising in the west at all? A single showing at a press thing doesn't really count. :/

Shoot, I'm pretty sure SEGA hasn't spent a cent in Western adverts since PSO.

Yeah, not really smart.

It's a vicious circle. They don't advertise because Phantasy Star isn't overly popular in the West. But, I contend that the reason Phantasy Star isn't overly popular in the West is because they don't advertise.

Yden
May 22, 2014, 06:39 PM

There's really no reason for them to advertise currently since the whole release is uncertain.

Kondibon
May 22, 2014, 06:43 PM
There's really no reason for them to advertise currently since the whole release is uncertain.
I meant the current conversation. It kinda turned into a "how effective is tv advertising" thing, when they haven't been advertising AT ALL.

GHNeko
May 22, 2014, 08:50 PM
It's a vicious circle. They don't advertise because Phantasy Star isn't overly popular in the West. But, I contend that the reason Phantasy Star isn't overly popular in the West is because they don't advertise.

That really isnt always the case actually. Some games just dont catch on, despite advertising.

PS has always been a niche, cult series.

Even within the gaming community.

Hell, half of the PS fanbase doesnt give a shit about PSO and its successors. They just want a PSV.

Kondibon
May 22, 2014, 08:54 PM
That really isnt always the case actually. Some games just dont catch on, despite advertising.

PS has always been a niche, cult series.

Even within the gaming community.

Hell, half of the PS fanbase doesnt give a shit about PSO and its successors. They just want a PSV.Given the number of people I've talked to who go "What? There's a PSO2? Why did no one tell me?" Or "What? It's out in english now? Where can I get it?" Or "Wow, that looks cool, I can't wait till it comes out in english.", when I bring up PSO2, there's DEFINATELY a large group of people who would be interested if they even knew it existed.

Chdata
May 22, 2014, 09:13 PM
Given the number of people I've talked to who go "What? There's a PSO2? Why did no one tell me?" Or "What? It's out in english now? Where can I get it?" Or "Wow, that looks cool, I can't wait till it comes out in english.", when I bring up PSO2, there's DEFINATELY a large group of people who would be interested if they even knew it existed.

How many people is that, out of a population of many billions?

GHNeko
May 22, 2014, 09:15 PM
That could easily be anecdotal though.

If you keep a circle of friends and acquaintances of whom have similar interests, then those results aren't surprising. An Echo chamber maybe.

I know if I talk about PSO, a majority of my friends and friends of friends will know what I'm talking about. But the second I go to my other groups of people I know that play games.

"The fuck is PSO2? Sequal to PSO? OH. Ok. Cool."

And then they stop caring.

Gatch
May 22, 2014, 09:42 PM
One of the friends here wasn't even aware that there was a sequel to PSO. Going to get it downloaded for him over the weekend and get him back in.

BIG OLAF
May 22, 2014, 10:18 PM
How many people is that, out of a population of many billions?

How many people like or know about anything, outside of eating, sleeping, and sex, out of a population of many billions?

Your point is folly.

If you keep a circle of friends and acquaintances of whom have similar interests, then those results aren't surprising. An Echo chamber maybe.

This community certainly knows a lot about echo chambers, so that makes sense.

RedRaz0r
May 22, 2014, 11:54 PM
People still give a shit about this?

Nitro Vordex
May 23, 2014, 12:52 AM
People still give a shit about this?
Peasants who can't run the game, probably.