PDA

View Full Version : Expansion idea: "Return to Ragol"

Daemon Gildas
May 6, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm still getting used to the game, but I can already tell, I'm going to be hooked for quite a while!

Since I have an overactive mind when it comes to game-design, I've already been jotting down idea for stuff that I think would make for one solid expansion/update for the game, I think. So, here's what I've put down so far:

STORY:

We've already seen the story briefly flirt with the idea of time-travel, and this would go all-out with that expansion. Darkers have gone back in time, to the founding of Ragol, attempting to harness even more dark powers for themselves, seeking to uncover even greater secrets that we never uncovered in the original PSO.

Because of the Darkers' interference, all of the old cast are still alive, but on the brink of being overwhelmed, which is where we, the Arks, come into play. Bernie, Rupika, Eleanor -- through separate missions, we save them, thus aligning them with our cause. In response, however, the Darkers have persuaded Black Paper to side with them. Meanwhile, Ash has grown from "the constant screw-up" to being the leader of the Hunters' Guild on the Pioneer 2.

Over the course of this expansion/update, we fight alongside Ash and the rest of the PSO "template characters", with Kireek, imbued with the Darkers' power, has been upgraded to a penultimate leader of the opposing side. Sue is initially working as a double-agent, initially with the Hunters' Guild but quickly defecting to the Darkers, but over the course of things, she eventually redeems herself. Meanwhile, we're introduced to the FOmar as a proper character, initially working for the Lab, but is eventually revealed to be the *true* leader of Black Paper. Realizing that the Darkers are proving to be poor business partners, however, he seeks withdraw Black Paper's support. Before he can do so, he is betrayed by Kireek, usurping leadership of Black Paper and becoming the final boss of Ragol, along with a terrifying new transformation.

As for Red Ring Rico and Flowen... I'm thinking they are initially being controlled, in their Dark Falz and Dark Flow forms, but perhaps can be saved, somehow?

FEATURES:

- Twin Sabers, Sword-and-Shields, and Slicers return as weapons.

- New "Photon Gauntlet" weapon-type is added, allowing for faster casting and moderate close-range damage, but can only hold two different techniques (mirroring the FOmar's unique play-style). Uses precise, "pressure-point" attacks as its two default attacks. Possibly lowers defense even more, but increases Evade distance. Also includes the ability to "Hide" the weapon (a feature I think should also apply to Knuckles weapons).

- Beasts are added as race. Justification? Darkers initially time-warped to enslave them, but were met with greater resistance than they had anticipated. By default, they use the same "super-muscular" builds that were previously tied to their racial-clothing. As per another user's suggestion, they don't use MAG's, but instead retain their "Photon Blast" from PSU, transforming into feral-looking creatures (transformation's stats scale with weapon equipped).

- Revamped "Customization" window, allowing you to easily change your clothes, units, and weapons' appearance without it clogging up inventory space. Instead, appearance-choices are simply "unlocked" for your character/account once you equip them, with the exception of Weapon Camos and Clothes (since those are tradable and highly valuable). Perhaps a means of changing the color of your clothes would be welcome, though.

- "Section ID's" make a return, but are altered slightly. Instead, you can now choose your own Section ID, and a brief description is given about what types of items you're more likely to find with each one. You can pay a fee to change Section ID later either, via either AC or FUN points. Additionally, your Section ID can be displayed as a bright, glowing "Emblem" on your armor.

- Level-cap raised to 100, and MAG level-cap raised to 200

- Since the locales of PSO Episode 1 are fairly well represented in PSO2 by default, I would instead learn more on Episode 2 for inspiration for new locales, with more "militarized bases" and such, which blend nicely with actual landscapes. I might also include Ep 1's "Ruins" areas, however, for more end-game content. Also, I'm quite fond of Ep 2's "Lab Simulation" areas, but I would have them as real locations, as opposed to being mere simulations.

- Various new PA's, Weapon Abilities, and other quality-of-life improvements, such as equipped-items not counting against your inventory count, or having your character automatically "Sprint" when not in-combat.

So.... What do you guys think? Yay or nay? :D

Arada
May 6, 2014, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying anything about gameplay wishes but please, leave PSO 1 where it belongs: in our memories.

Give up Burning Rangers, Space Channel 5, Sonic and previous PS / PSO / PSU, whatever 10+ years old related stuff.

Give us new things and please no Ragol-related stuff. Especially no Ragol-related stuff, actually.

gigawuts
May 6, 2014, 01:40 PM
While throwbacks are nice, I'd only really like it because it's established as decent content. If they were to continue releasing new content as polished as the latest story quest and Oracle map I'd be much happier.

If they redid area themes to be a continuous song instead of broken up into bits, and redid some of the random map generation with a couple new sections that only spawned once (cool ones that define an area, like the floating platform in Caves 1 in PSO1, or the giant engine room in Ruins 2 in PSO1) I'd be ecstatic.

New weapon types would be A-OK though.

strikerhunter
May 6, 2014, 02:07 PM
What I got from the OP's post was basically PSO1 remake put into PSO2 but with darkers.

We don't even know if PSO1 is actually tied to PSO2 since Sega is leaving that in the dark and just say PSO2 is the sequel.

Some throwbacks are nice but too much will make it boring but with what you suggested, I rather have it as PSO1 story mission being available as a mission type instead (basically a side/off story) since their is no connection to PSO and PSO2's storyline (for now).

New weapon types are always welcome but that means new classes and more re-grinding that I'm okay with lol.

gigawuts
May 6, 2014, 02:12 PM
They could have retconned it without telling anyone, but yes they have confirmed in one of their earlier streams that PSO2 takes place in the same universe as PSO1 some time after PSO1 in reply to a fan asking whether or not it was.

It's completely plausible that we could go back to Ragol, but it wouldn't be the exact same one seen in PSO1. A good amount of time will have passed. I mean, that wouldn't necessarily stop them from having it look exactly the same because nostalgia but you know.

strikerhunter
May 6, 2014, 02:27 PM
Hmmm I guess that's something I messed out and haven't heart about yet then.

While nostalgia is a good thing (I agree) I do hope (if it ever happens) that things are changed to provide both the nostalgia and new feel to the content.

Shinamori
May 6, 2014, 05:37 PM
I think I'd rather have it as a virtual simulation quest like in PSP2/PSP2i.

Daiyousei
May 6, 2014, 06:24 PM
I must have missed that detail about the same universe, but that just makes things interesting.

Daemon Gildas
May 6, 2014, 06:36 PM
Hmm... maybe I am just too attached to the first PSO, lol. I've just always felt like there was a lot of story that was "behind the scenes", and thought it would be cool to see it told, but with all of the gameplay-improvements of PSO2. I will so, though, that I much preferred the overall aesthetics of the first PSO, and I personally feel like things looked a bit more "grounded". It seems so bizarre that the HUmar-inspired outfit, for example, doesn't have an Orange variant, and it seems too symmetrical (the massive powered-arm of the original was what made it so distinct, I thought).

I wouldn't mind just seeing a throwback mission, though. Just thought a full on Expansion-type of update would give more room to deliver a little more narrative drama, and really fleshing those characters out (Rupika, specifically, seemed like she was super important, but never fleshed-out as to why in the original PSO). And Ragol, throughout all the episodes, seemed like a fairly diverse planet, anyways.

Skyly
May 6, 2014, 06:51 PM
Actually.. What if they implemented them in as AQs or XQs?

"VR Forest Episode 1"
"VR Caves Episode 1"
"VR Mines Episode 1"
"VR Ruins Episode 1"

Even a TTF from PSO1 would be great. Update the graphics and make this where PSO1 items drop "exclusively" Like J swords and shit like that. Black king money bar, etc

Vintasticvin
May 6, 2014, 07:09 PM
Smells like Warlords Of Draenor x.x

DoubleZero
May 6, 2014, 08:05 PM
It's not a throwback to PSO1 without my Opa Opa MAG.

I was a HUGE Fantasy Zone fan growing up, and having it back as my MAG from the old days would be top shelf.

silo1991
May 6, 2014, 08:55 PM
i just wonder , if your character from PSO2 its the reincarnation of your character in PSO1 and PSU that would be epic :D
(i would say about decendant theory but dumans would be discarted in this one)

Tivor
May 6, 2014, 09:27 PM
Expecting Sega to Sega, Naberius could be Ragol with a new name.

In my mind, I still hope PSO2 is some kind of prequel to PSO1, since with all of this timey whimey stuff, it could be so full of "WHOA! This is what will happen in PSO1 after etc and nnn!", like, Luther's (and yours and Shion's) meddling with the timeline is what actually makes the PSO1 story happen.

And then RAGOL would be Naberius with a new name. And Luther would be someone from PSO2's past, but Shion would be someone from PSO2's future, more tied with PSO1's storyline.

But I have absolutely no idea of what'll finally connect PSO2 with PSO1.

PrinceBrightstar
May 6, 2014, 10:32 PM
Frankly it's my hope they eventually go all the way back to Algol at some point.

I could see how this is a prequel to PSO, Dark Falz is released on naberius, and the Arks eventually crash a ship with elder inside onto a planet to seal him again setting up PSO where Gettemhart no longer works as a body and Elder finds a new body in Red Ring Rico however many millennia into the future that happens.

Based on the OP's ideas though, I take it the Darker's interference would wipe out or heavily modify the events of C.A.R.D Revolution?

Zyrusticae
May 6, 2014, 10:55 PM
In my mind, I still hope PSO2 is some kind of prequel to PSO1
Well you can stop hoping, because all the PSO1 holdover weapons are considered ancient relics in PSO2.

Nitro Vordex
May 6, 2014, 11:00 PM
I think it would fit better as a special anniversary EQ, rather than full new content.

Punisher106
May 6, 2014, 11:48 PM
I heard PSZ was the prequel to PSO1, being on Coral and all that. And in PSP2i, they DID use subspace travel to actually go to Ragol while Pioneer 1 was there, before Rico's little incident. Hell, you get her friggin' partner card.

strikerhunter
May 7, 2014, 12:19 AM
I heard PSZ was the prequel to PSO1, being on Coral and all that. And in PSP2i, they DID use subspace travel to actually go to Ragol while Pioneer 1 was there, before Rico's little incident. Hell, you get her friggin' partner card.

Thing is, for PSP2i, it was just a side mission to get Rico's partner card and unlocking Olga Flow's mission while having no actual ties to PSP2i's storyline. PSP2i had a lot of PSO revived mobs and bosses so leaving Olga and Rico would be like a "what the Fing Hell" moment.

Skye-Fox713
May 7, 2014, 12:23 AM

"VR Forest Episode 1"
"VR Caves Episode 1"
"VR Mines Episode 1"
"VR Ruins Episode 1"

Even a TTF from PSO1 would be great. Update the graphics and make this where PSO1 items drop "exclusively" Like J swords and shit like that. Black king money bar, etc

TBH reintroducing the PSO1 areas as VR missions for TA's, AQ's or XQ's wouldn't be a bad idea and would work really well. Heck you could add a new VR section to the quest counter.

For me I would really like to see the PSO ep 2 areas come back as well like the VR Space Ship, VR Temple, Central Control Area (Mountains, Beach, Jungle) and the Seabed. All re-worked with updated graphics, however they should keep the scale of the maps the same.

Tivor
May 7, 2014, 12:24 AM
Well you can stop hoping, because all the PSO1 holdover weapons are considered ancient relics in PSO2.

Sega's used to retconning anyways. I don't know if I remember correctly, but they said that the ARKS from PSO2 is not the same as the Arks from PSO Episode III, right?

Daemon Gildas
May 7, 2014, 12:36 AM
Frankly it's my hope they eventually go all the way back to Algol at some point.

I could see how this is a prequel to PSO, Dark Falz is released on naberius, and the Arks eventually crash a ship with elder inside onto a planet to seal him again setting up PSO where Gettemhart no longer works as a body and Elder finds a new body in Red Ring Rico however many millennia into the future that happens.

Based on the OP's ideas though, I take it the Darker's interference would wipe out or heavily modify the events of C.A.R.D Revolution?

I suppose it would depend on when exactly you have the story take place, but personally, I'd be aiming for within 2-3 years of Ep 1. Long enough for the situation to be dire, and for Ash to transform into kind of a badass, but still keeping the crew totally relevant. I would say, from the moment Falz originally appeared, and blew everything up, have that as the point the Darkers arrive. When players make it to Ragol, it's been like two years, so Ash has had time to grow into a badass, without the cast *appearing* any older. Kind of keeping it relevant to PSO itself, although that's simply the route the *I* would go.

At the same time, though, some of the other posters are making good point, that it might not seem super exciting if everything is a retread of stuff we actually saw in PSO. Then again, though, like I said before; I feel like there was a lot going on "behind the scenes". Bernie was never fully explained in the plot, Sue always seems way too friendly to be in Black Paper, and even the "leader" of Black Paper... I didn't buy it that some generic-looking guy was the actual leader of that organization. And again; Rupika was just a complete enigma. There's a whole game's worth of questions there, and seeing those things addressed in PSO2 seem like it would be fun.

As far as the time-line goes... I'm not sure why, I had gotten the impression that PSO2 took place like hundreds, or even thousands of years after PSO1. If not, I could totally see completely nixxing the whole "time-travel" thing and having it take place concurrently, but regardless, I think there are ways of explaining it.

schnee4
May 7, 2014, 12:57 AM
expansion idea: "Return to B20"

chaoko99
May 9, 2014, 05:03 PM
something smells very pso1 ep 3-y

*cough*ARKZ*cough*

wow... I did not see that post a few messages up

gigawuts
May 9, 2014, 05:07 PM
Sega's used to retconning anyways. I don't know if I remember correctly, but they said that the ARKS from PSO2 is not the same as the Arks from PSO Episode III, right?

They said ARKS is not ARKZ.

One is cooler because it has a Z, you see.

You can definitely tell they were spitballing for ideas at the time, though.

silo1991
May 10, 2014, 09:52 PM
thnking about time travel i think double might travel to the past and copy the dark falz and other villians of every PS game , image see zio back from PS4 or maybe the members of the iluminus from PSU

im sure PSO2 its after PSO1 and PSU because both game happen almost at the same time

at least for PSU , in one IO chat she says they ran a convenient experiment in the past invole a darker insident and a dragon species which was resistant to the infection and thats where the dumans come from

Macman
May 11, 2014, 03:26 AM
This is merely word of mouth so take it with a spoonful of salt, but I heard from someone who was digging around the music files for the game that they found PSO1's Ruins theme in, and it had versions with PSE Burst beats in it.

MegaMettaurX
May 11, 2014, 03:28 AM
I just want Sega to have an excuse to use the song Trick Track on a map again. And maybe Nostalgia in Solitude too.

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 12:17 AM
I don't think my memory is fooling me with this, but I'm quite sure that it was blatantly stated before the game even came out that PSO2 takes places ~100 years after the events of PSO. Not just as an answer to some random fans question, but like, it was actually established.

Reason they would have done that would be so they could enlist the colorful cast of characters we have now in PSO2 without too much ret-conning since, hell, they couldn't have been alive in PSO1.

I also remember reading that while Arkz is not directly the Arks from PSO Ep III, they are an administrative sect that evolved from them over time, with a different governing body (it's been 100 years).

gaijin_punch
May 12, 2014, 04:56 AM
I think they've done a good job of handling nostalgia up until now. Legacy weapons (but actually useful), recycled sound effects, and some other hat tips. Now if they'd just kill the awful fucking music (Burning Rangers, etc.) I'd have absolutely no complaints.

Punisher106
May 12, 2014, 10:10 AM
I think they've done a good job of handling nostalgia up until now. Legacy weapons (but actually useful), recycled sound effects, and some other hat tips. Now if they'd just kill the awful fucking music (Burning Rangers, etc.) I'd have absolutely no complaints.

How 'bout no? I like Angels with Burning Hearts, even though it isn't the english version, which I like better, but Hideaki Kobayashi did a damn fine job, once again, with the music in this game.

chaoko99
May 14, 2014, 01:24 AM
Space Ship, VR Temple, Central Control Area (Mountains, Beach, Jungle) and the Seabed. All re-worked with updated graphics, however they should keep the scale of the maps the same.

I just realized, are those place as massive as I remember, or is it just because you were SO SLOOOW!!

Skyly HUmar
May 14, 2014, 01:33 AM
Can someone explain something to me about the story? I was the idiot who was out hunting for weapons instead of doing the matterboard lol, and i deleted the game a bit ago so it's too late to start now.

Why are falz a bunch of people? As i recall falz is an entity born of the PD's power, but in pso2 it seems that the falz are just people with PD's power, or did the PD posses them?

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 28, 2014, 03:32 PM
TBH reintroducing the PSO1 areas as VR missions for TA's, AQ's or XQ's wouldn't be a bad idea and would work really well. Heck you could add a new VR section to the quest counter.

For me I would really like to see the PSO ep 2 areas come back as well like the VR Space Ship, VR Temple, Central Control Area (Mountains, Beach, Jungle) and the Seabed. All re-worked with updated graphics, however they should keep the scale of the maps the same.

Why settle? Why not have these zones in all three types of quests?

doomdragon83
Jul 28, 2014, 08:39 PM
They should bring back section IDs as emblems....except for Bluehell. I'm surprised they haven't done so already.

lostinseganet
Jul 28, 2014, 08:44 PM
Give up Burning Rangers, Space Channel 5, Sonic and previous PS / PSO / PSU, whatever 10+ years old related stuff.

. NOES!

Daiyousei
Jul 28, 2014, 09:30 PM
They should bring back section IDs as emblems....except for Bluehell. I'm surprised they haven't done so already.

They have photon chairs named for section IDs instead.

gigawuts
Jul 28, 2014, 09:37 PM
They have photon chairs named for section IDs instead.

Yeah, they even have greennil!

jesus christ how have they not fixed that

actually i bet they don't even know it's a mistake

HeyItsTHK
Jul 29, 2014, 11:36 AM

"VR Forest Episode 1"
"VR Caves Episode 1"
"VR Mines Episode 1"
"VR Ruins Episode 1"

I can dig it. I like the TA/EQ/EQ idea.

Can someone explain something to me about the story? I was the idiot who was out hunting for weapons instead of doing the matterboard lol, and i deleted the game a bit ago so it's too late to start now.

Why are falz a bunch of people? As i recall falz is an entity born of the PD's power, but in pso2 it seems that the falz are just people with PD's power, or did the PD posses them?

PSO2 is all about infection, manipulation and the prevention of. The Falz family are all people infected by the darkness.