PDA

View Full Version : update too big????

diamondx
May 7, 2014, 05:19 AM
i thought the new update is like 525mb update, but the update is like over 2 gig in size with 3709 files to download, is that normal. please help

fay
May 7, 2014, 05:27 AM
It's actually looking to be closer to about 5 gigs.

Tomo-Kinji
May 7, 2014, 05:30 AM
There's no helping aside from downloading those over 2 gig of patches to be able to play.

Tomo-Kinji
May 7, 2014, 05:33 AM
This week's patch is only 500mb+. No doubt your pso2 files got overwritten by something. Did you do system restore? That would be the cause.

fay
May 7, 2014, 05:33 AM
It's going down fast anyway. I've been downloading the patch for maybe 30-45 minutes so far and I've gotten about 1700/4069 (2.19Gig) files so far.

fay
May 7, 2014, 05:54 AM
Hmm, now it's starting to look closer to 6 gigs.

Ordy
May 7, 2014, 05:57 AM
How comes you have 4069 files to download, I just have 76 >_>

Arada
May 7, 2014, 05:57 AM
I downloaded the expected 525Mo. 103 files I think (must include translated files from the non-story patches).

fay
May 7, 2014, 06:00 AM
I have no idea why it has so many files to download. I was playing it yesterday so it's not like I missed any updates :/

Ordy
May 7, 2014, 06:16 AM
You are maybe repatching translated story files. Check your tweaker options and make sure to backup Japanese files.

seilent
May 7, 2014, 06:21 AM
What did u use for update..?
if from launcher u need to restore the english patch frst i think, else it will redownload everything..

ShinKai
May 7, 2014, 07:30 AM
You are maybe repatching translated story files. Check your tweaker options and make sure to backup Japanese files.

I agree. This used to happen to me a lot until I figured out that the tweaker will essentially redownload the files the patches replace if you haven't backed them up when you installed them. And if you installed the story patch, that's a good 2+ gigs extra to download every time, even when the update is only 500 megs for example. It will then download 2.5 gigs.

So whenever the tweaker asks to make a backup, I strongly advise you do so. It can't be helped if the backup wasn't made though.

Nymfidemus
May 7, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone. I'd like to apologize if I'm asking this on the wrong thread. I'm new here and there are things I'd like to ask regarding updates.

So I was prompted to update the game and I noticed that...

How comes you have 4069 files to download, I just have 76 >_>

I downloaded the expected 525Mo. 103 files I think (must include translated files from the non-story patches).

there are 3150 files that I need to download.

And how can I do this? I don't see any option about this on my tweaker.

What did u use for update..?
if from launcher u need to restore the english patch frst i think, else it will redownload everything..

I tried doing that and it says "Couldn't find backup directory - Should be C:\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin\data\win32\backupP reSTORYPatch [FAILED!]". I did back up all the files during my first update, but I didn't bother to check the directory. On my sidebar tab, everything else are "Compatible" except story patch.

I'd like to avoid re-downloading the story patch again(if it's true that the tweaker will re-download it) because it'll take more than 6 hours(probably more) to finish downloading those 3k files with my lousy net.

Arada
May 7, 2014, 10:37 AM
When you ask the Tweaker to install one of the patches, it first prompts you and ask if you want to install from a file instead of downloading the content directly and then prompts you to do a backup of the current files before installing.

If you do the backup, then you can use it right before updating the game itself to restore the "original" files to not have to redownload everything that's been patched.

Nymfidemus
May 7, 2014, 10:47 AM
Which means that there's nothing new for Story Patch on this update? I still keep the latest rar though.

Hang on I'll give it a try.

Jazneo
May 7, 2014, 10:53 AM
the update to me was small lol 32mb

Nymfidemus
May 7, 2014, 11:45 AM
Sorry for the late reply, here's what I did in order...

1. Manually installed the patches from the latest rar(s).
2. Restored back up on each patches.
3. Check for PSO2 Updates.

The Story Patch status remains "Unknown"...and the number of files dropped from 3150 to 2063. Did I messed up?

Maronji
May 7, 2014, 09:29 PM
Me personally, I've never trusted the Tweaker to restore my backups automatically. Why, I'm not sure. I just know that I feel better about restoring them myself, and I almost never have any issues with my update cycles (except in rare circumstances).

Anyway, I only had 34 files to download, weighing in at about 507.08MB. I manually restored my backups. Also, I have my Tweaker set to "Always backup" under its options so I know I have something to work back from in case of emergency. I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want it to make backups in the first place (except under select limited circumstances (like limited free space, but at that point, you should really consider upgrading or installing a new hard drive anyway)).

ChickenPlate
May 7, 2014, 09:36 PM
Ok, it's in the middle of downloading the story patch. Can I just force quit now and manually reinstall the story patch from my RAR file? Or will the program just not let me do anything since I don't have backups in place?

Nymfidemus
May 7, 2014, 10:04 PM
I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want it to make backups in the first place.

I made my backups when the tweaker prompted me to when I installed those patches but I didn't use the "Restore Backups" function after that. Could that be the reason why I failed to load my backups?

lostinseganet
May 7, 2014, 11:26 PM
Maybe there are hidden things they did not tell us about in the patch. Newer New upcomming stuff?

Ryuujin HUcast
May 7, 2014, 11:28 PM
stuff happens just be sure to know your way around it.

Maronji
May 8, 2014, 12:45 AM
I made my backups when the tweaker prompted me to when I installed those patches but I didn't use the "Restore Backups" function after that. Could that be the reason why I failed to load my backups?

I honestly can't be sure without some experimenting. The Tweaker is supposed to restore your backups automatically when it updates PSO2, but automation being automation, I've never really trusted it.

I'll run some tests on my laptop later. I might have a more definite answer then.

.Gathiel
May 8, 2014, 01:05 AM
Mine too, probably had something override somewhere.
http://i.imgur.com/amejqIn.png