PDA

View Full Version : I got a jobs question

Perry
May 10, 2014, 03:58 PM
more like an Ebay question.
Is there any good money to be made selling Photoshop skills online? Got an idea but wanted to run it by PsoW before jumping in.
Like, the economy sucks. Anything is better than nothing.

Outrider
May 12, 2014, 10:46 AM
If you're asking whether or not you can make money doing graphic design in Photoshop, then yeah, you could possibly freelance, but it likely won't be easy. At the very least, you should have some sort of portfolio or sample of your work to show potential clients. Make sure you also do some research on pricing for the work you're willing to do and find a rate that would make sense to both your finances and your client.

I've never really done freelance work, though, so I can't offer much more information than that.

Vetur
May 13, 2014, 01:41 AM
As a job for income, I do not recommend it unless you already have a steady job or source of income to support yourself until you become established as an artist/designer.

Even if you are excellent with designs and art, it's very difficult to get recognized because of the competition and lack of originality since we've pretty much already created everything we could, making it hard to stand out.
So many people are just as talented, and some may be not as skilled but still gain more due to popularity.

If you truly want to, then it does require a lot of effort and you do have to be really determined and aggressive about it. Really put yourself out there, and tell everyone about you, networking is very important to get known too(as well as to get a job in general), so sociability helps especially if you can meet people specializing in art/design. Having a good-looking website or portfolio is a must too, and it's good to show various styles that you can do if possible, so that it won't be limited to just one style or art form.

For "Photoshop", do you mean anything in particular like Photography, drawing, or graphic design?
If you are going to sell anything involving design/art, must also be cautious about copyright laws, especially if it's something like famous characters or logos printed on merchandise.
If it's all original stuff you created everything by scratch with or with royalty-free stuff, then don't worry about that, though. xD

Fan art is something that's hard to tell though, because most people are able to sell fan art without a problem, but at the same time there are people against it, and it's unsure if there's really a law against or not if the company themself is fine with it. You could consider Cosplay costumes fanart, and you never really see anyone get sued over that...

I think mostly they only care if you use their official prints and sell that, but you never know, it depends on the company or the creator, and how strict they are.

I once got complaint from Minecraft's company for my fan art of a Creeper Hoodie(made from scratch, not ripped) and was forced to take it down from the website, but never got complaints about my anime or Nintendo fan-made stuff that I sold.
@_@