PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure PSO2 does not work with Windows 8.1...

Zipzo
May 11, 2014, 10:31 PM
Unless any of you with Windows 8.1 know a fix? Getting my Vita patched up but I can't play on the Vita for very long before it drives me nuts. I know this will compel the obligitory "Windows 8.1 is your problem/why did you get Windows 8.1" type comments but why don't we just skip that in favor of more helpful conclusions. Appreciate any guidance from those who've gotten it to work.

It seems to me that basically nProtect's Gameguard is just flat-out incompatible with Windows 8.1. Quick google searching showed me this webpage...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=nProtect%20GameGuard&vendor=INCA%20Internet&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8.1

Essentially the game just won't boot. It shows the PSO2 picture with nProtect on it, then the big window opens and then crashes.

This mean I'm stuck waiting for a fix from GG?

KaZ Solaris
May 11, 2014, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it's something else, I'm playing PSO2 rather well on my Win8.1 machine...

final_attack
May 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
The file check didn't fix it, Zipzo?

I'm using Windows 8.1 myself (fully updated) ..... and it can run smoothly. The only problem I had is just, I have to do a file check every time I want to play (And somehow it always download something at file check).

So, I usually do a file check once I closed the game.

And sometimes the GameGuard stuck too ..... I have to "Run as Admin" for every program I want to open (even media player)

Pugas87
May 11, 2014, 10:52 PM
I run on windows 8.1 no problem without doing a file check (unless there's an update obviously). I once had a problem with gameguard on windows 8.0. I deleted the gameguard folder and did a file check to replace it. Have you tried that?

Zipzo
May 11, 2014, 11:56 PM
So if it's anything important to add...I used AIDA's tweaker thing to download the game this time around because I've read that it's faster.

I'm pretty sure I went through every troubleshoot option available in that program still netting me the same identical result when trying to launch the game, but I will try here again.

It is, however, a relief to hear that there are those who are able to get it running on Windows 8.1, I thought I was locked out.

seilent
May 12, 2014, 01:22 AM
im using 8.1 too, everything works fine here..
that happens to me before when i wanna play other games, crash after gg / hackshield loading screens, last time i just update DirectX and fine..

btw i always run game with game protection system as administrator to avoid conflict afterwards..

NotRankin
May 12, 2014, 02:35 AM
Try installing DirectX, if that doesn't work check your GPU drivers. You COULD try compatibility mode as well. I have Win 8.1 and like everyone else who's posted, mine works perfectly.

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 03:39 AM
Gettin' a bit frustrated. Still cannot get it to load past the point I clarified. Tried all the troubleshooting options again, even a full file check (which took a long time).

I have installed Direct X 11 installed already, and I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers.

What exactly should I try running in compatibility mode? The tweaker?

EDIT : Changing both the tweaker & the Pso2.exe to Windows 7 compatibility did nothing.

seilent
May 12, 2014, 04:13 AM
PSO2 is DX9 based, so installing DX11 wont change a things i think..

This one i mean, maybe missing some DX9 files..
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Silver Crow
May 12, 2014, 04:20 AM
I've been running pso2 ever since Windows 8 and now 8.1, never had problems

Dia79
May 12, 2014, 04:52 AM
never had an issue on 8.1 till yesterday since i cant run riva tuner statistics anymore when i run the game ....

Karen Erra
May 12, 2014, 05:25 AM
You should try download the setup file from SEGA directly. The game itself is made to work under Windows 8.1, as this is in the system requirements.
The problem I had with it was that the old setup files from way back (I think it was beta) installed a version of it that wasn't able to update. Always got me an error.
Installing with the current setup from SEGA tho works just fine. You might want to try that:

http://pso2.jp/players/download/

Just press the blue downloader button, open the file you downloaded and then press the blue ダウンロード button. The file this downloader gets you should work then, unless it's a different problem that I experienced.

Sirius-91
May 12, 2014, 07:33 AM
I've used AIDA's tweaker to reinstall before, and I'm running on 8.1 myself, no issues. You really should install DX9 and try to run on administrator without any compatibility settings on.

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 08:48 AM
I've used AIDA's tweaker to reinstall before, and I'm running on 8.1 myself, no issues. You really should install DX9 and try to run on administrator without any compatibility settings on.

What exactly should I be running on administrator? The tweaker? Running from the tweaker comprises of launching the tweaker, then clicking a launch button, so what am I supposed to be running on admin?

Coatl
May 12, 2014, 09:19 AM
My friend has the exact same problem. Windows 8.1 and can't start up pso2. If a solution were to be found they'd feel very relieved.

Sirius-91
May 12, 2014, 09:42 AM
What exactly should I be running on administrator? The tweaker? Running from the tweaker comprises of launching the tweaker, then clicking a launch button, so what am I supposed to be running on admin?

Try running the tweaker as administrator.

In the event it doesn't work, run the game using the official launcher and run a file check from there.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 12, 2014, 09:59 AM
i just load the game from 7's Program Files

and it works for me

Aine
May 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
I've been running it fine in 8.1, but I have to turn off Kaspersky because it hates Gameguard. Maybe it's your anti-virus?

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 10:36 AM
I've been running it fine in 8.1, but I have to turn off Kaspersky because it hates Gameguard. Maybe it's your anti-virus?

I'm running Windows Defender (came with the OS).

Turning it off didn't seem to change anything.

Silver Crow
May 12, 2014, 12:03 PM
Most people aren't having any problems with Win8.1, I haven't modified my OS and it's a genuine copy, came with laptop, I haven't done anything special, it's up to date with all drivers and software, downloaded pso2 via torrent on Arks Layer, updated via Tweaker. That's it, if it doesn't work for you then change OS *shrugs*

my anti virus is Avast Free, firewall is COMODO free, Windows defender on, Windows firewall on. they don't cause problems for me. no compatibility mode, no administrator privileges...

p.s. one thing I did have to do after updating my game was hit "fix game guard issues" on tweaker before my game would launch properly.

GHNeko
May 12, 2014, 12:26 PM
I had problems running PSO2 with 8.1 when I was running 8.1 RTM. Each boot up of PSO2 meant that Gameguard BSOD'd my PC.

But that was several months ago.

After moving off RTM to 8.1 Core and then applying all but the latest update (its installed, but I'm too lazy to reboot.)

The game has been running fine with no issues.

Double check windows update to make sure it's 100% fully up-to-date.

Uninstall and reinstall the game completely. Run PSO2 vanilla without tweaker to confirm if it works or not. If it does, then install tweaker. If the problem comes back then it's with tweaker. If not, you're good to go.

If the problem occurs with PSO2 vanillia then you have to search for answers there for PSO2 itself.

Silver Crow
May 12, 2014, 12:32 PM
I had problems running PSO2 with 8.1 when I was running 8.1 RTM. Each boot up of PSO2 meant that Gameguard BSOD'd my PC.

But that was several months ago.

After moving off RTM to 8.1 Core and then applying all but the latest update (its installed, but I'm too lazy to reboot.)

The game has been running fine with no issues.

Double check windows update to make sure it's 100% fully up-to-date.

Uninstall and reinstall the game completely. Run PSO2 vanilla without tweaker to confirm if it works or not. If it does, then install tweaker. If the problem comes back then it's with tweaker. If not, you're good to go.

If the problem occurs with PSO2 vanillia then you have to search for answers there for PSO2 itself.

This, 8.1 without updates not only won't make pso2 work but it f***ed with my cam corder, mouse, ps3 controller, you name it

GHNeko
May 12, 2014, 01:00 PM
As much as people dislike Windows update, especially people with illegitimate copies; This is probably one of the most effective and streamlined fashions of troubleshooting program issues without having a huge breadth of experience and knowledge with the Windows OS, as practically every commercial program is built on PCs with the latest OS and/or latest updates.

Totori
May 12, 2014, 04:01 PM
I had this exact problem, it's a rather annoying way, but I had to uninstall the game. Download the game's files from Tweaker (due to speed), let that update and then run the game. As for compatibility settings, I'm currently using none right now.

It could be GG's that's corrupted, so try deleting that. Then downloading it again.

For anti virus, I'm using Avast Premier.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 04:53 PM
Pso2's working 100% fine on my windows 8.1 machine. Most likely its your hardware or something.
Gameguard does sometimes present errors but I've found that if you click don't send for the report then the game boots just fine.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 04:55 PM
I had this exact problem, it's a rather annoying way, but I had to uninstall the game. Download the game's files from Tweaker (due to speed), let that update and then run the game. As for compatibility settings, I'm currently using none right now.

It could be GG's that's corrupted, so try deleting that. Then downloading it again.

For anti virus, I'm using Avast Premier.

You don't have to reinstall the whole game to reinstall game guard. Just select fix game guard errors in the tweaker by clicking the orb, then troubleshooting then clicking fix gameguard errors.
That redownloads the gameguard files.

metatime
May 12, 2014, 06:54 PM
Unless any of you with Windows 8.1 know a fix? Getting my Vita patched up but I can't play on the Vita for very long before it drives me nuts. I know this will compel the obligitory "Windows 8.1 is your problem/why did you get Windows 8.1" type comments but why don't we just skip that in favor of more helpful conclusions. Appreciate any guidance from those who've gotten it to work.

It seems to me that basically nProtect's Gameguard is just flat-out incompatible with Windows 8.1. Quick google searching showed me this webpage...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=nProtect%20GameGuard&vendor=INCA%20Internet&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8.1

Essentially the game just won't boot. It shows the PSO2 picture with nProtect on it, then the big window opens and then crashes.

This mean I'm stuck waiting for a fix from GG?

Please stat your system specs...

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 08:45 PM
Most people aren't having any problems with Win8.1, I haven't modified my OS and it's a genuine copy, came with laptop, I haven't done anything special, it's up to date with all drivers and software, downloaded pso2 via torrent on Arks Layer, updated via Tweaker. That's it, if it doesn't work for you then change OS *shrugs*

Okay, these types of input so far have been the least helpful. It's not like I'm posting in disbelief at those who've gotten it working.

I get it. It works on Windows 8.1. I got that from the first few posters in the thread. Color me surprised, but that's what I expected, and as a result of seeing that, was hoping to find out how I can join the club.

Also "get a new OS" is not an answer, especially if a solution clearly seems to exist.

Please stat your system specs...

Straight from the dxdiag tool...

Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
ASUSTek Computer Inc. Model : G73Sw
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8CPUs), ~2.0GHz
8192MB RAM
Using DirectX 11

Windows is definitely fully up-to-date.

Does the file size of my PSO2 folder have any bone in this? When I click properties it's showing around 8.5GB...friend tells me his folder has ~21GB in it.

I did a full file check for all missing or deleted files, and it went clean.

My next idea is probably to do a vanilla install with the official pso2 launcher, but at that point I'm thinking there's something that needs to be addressed about the tweaker...

I am not running an "RT" version of Windows 8.1, and it's bought officially from Microsoft.

Totori
May 12, 2014, 08:52 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I had to do. Nothing else worked, until I reinstalled PSO2 completely from scratch.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 09:04 PM
Try the fix game guard errors option in the tweaker before doing anything else. Also I recommend using the verify game files function in the tweaker. Try using the first 3 options in the troubleshooting menu to verify your game files then try starting the game again. (The options are: Analize install for issues, check for deleted/empty files and check for old/missing files) Those 3 options should restore any pso2 files that may have got corrupted or are missing. I also suggest you try the redownload pso2 exe option which should fix any problems with the main exe files.

If that still doesn't fix your problem then reinstall the game.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 09:08 PM
Okay, these types of input so far have been the least helpful. It's not like I'm posting in disbelief at those who've gotten it working.

I get it. It works on Windows 8.1. I got that from the first few posters in the thread. Color me surprised, but that's what I expected, and as a result of seeing that, was hoping to find out how I can join the club.

Also "get a new OS" is not an answer, especially if a solution clearly seems to exist.

Straight from the dxdiag tool...

Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
ASUSTek Computer Inc. Model : G73Sw
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8CPUs), ~2.0GHz
8192MB RAM
Using DirectX 11

Windows is definitely fully up-to-date.

Does the file size of my PSO2 folder have any bone in this? When I click properties it's showing around 8.5GB...friend tells me his folder has ~21GB in it.

I did a full file check for all missing or deleted files, and it went clean.

My next idea is probably to do a vanilla install with the official pso2 launcher, but at that point I'm thinking there's something that needs to be addressed about the tweaker...

I am not running an "RT" version of Windows 8.1, and it's bought officially from Microsoft.

8.5 gb's is way WAY too small for the pso2 folder. I suggest you try the analize install for issues option which should download any files that may have gone missing during the install. Hopefully that will fix your problem

Shinamori
May 12, 2014, 09:17 PM
For the PC, the game's folder size should top little over 20GB.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 09:19 PM
Ok, comparing the results in your dxdiag tool its not your os version thats the problem. I'm on the exact same build of 8.1 and it works fine for me so you can remove build of os from the list. It seems its more a problem with either your hardware or your game files, not your os.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 09:20 PM
Whats your graphics card model? Their may be issues with pso2 on that certain model of gfx card.

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 09:38 PM
Whats your graphics card model? Their may be issues with pso2 on that certain model of gfx card.

Well I was running PSO2 just fine on Windows 7 before I moved "up" to Windows 8.1.

Nvidia Geforce GTX460M
4043MB RAM

The gameguard fix option in the tweaker is not working. I've tried it already several times using several different forms of compatibility.

Right now I'm running a full file check on missing/deleted files (the option in the troubleshoot section of the tweaker), but I'm pretty sure it will turn up clean as I believe I've already done it once before.

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 09:49 PM
Right, well if it ran in windows 7 then it should be fine. Did you completely reinstall pso2 when you upgraded to windows 8.1 or not? Also I highly suggest you try the first option in the troubleshooting menu in the tweaker (analise install for issues) which checks that you have all the files that should be installed (Check for missing/deleted files just checks the files that you have downloaded I think whereas analize install for issues compares your pso2 directory contents to that of a clean pso2 install and downloads the missing files)

Zipzo
May 12, 2014, 10:09 PM
Right, well if it ran in windows 7 then it should be fine. Did you completely reinstall pso2 when you upgraded to windows 8.1 or not? Also I highly suggest you try the first option in the troubleshooting menu in the tweaker (analise install for issues) which checks that you have all the files that should be installed (Check for missing/deleted files just checks the files that you have downloaded I think whereas analize install for issues compares your pso2 directory contents to that of a clean pso2 install and downloads the missing files)

So it ended up initiating a download of 13,917 files.

Clearly something went amiss at the initial download. Is there a hole in the tweaker somewhere? Maybe there are some Windows 8.1 compatibility vunerabilities?

tuxdude143
May 12, 2014, 10:12 PM
I dunno, your connection could have cut out during the download the first time round which could have caused that. Either way that should fix your problem! Enjoy!

Nitro Vordex
May 12, 2014, 11:25 PM
So it ended up initiating a download of 13,917 files.

Clearly something went amiss at the initial download. Is there a hole in the tweaker somewhere? Maybe there are some Windows 8.1 compatibility vunerabilities?
The download gave me an issue like that one time. I'm on Windows 7, so I don't think it has much to do with your OS. It ended up getting stuck on an update one night, and everything went to crap. Had to redownload a bunch of files. Best thing I can assume is that the game might have been downloading an update, but broke halfway. That's what happened to me.

.Jack
May 12, 2014, 11:53 PM
I checked my SEGA folder and it's 19gigs+ so I don't see it working with only 8 gigs of data. I'd suggest doing a complete game wipe and a fresh download off the official site without using the tweaker program. Also running win8 here with no problems.