PDA

View Full Version : wireless xbox controller not working

zeromarth
May 14, 2014, 12:39 PM
I know this might be me just being an idiot, but i bought my reciver and xbox 360 controller wireless and everything but PSO2 works on it, PSO2 doesnt even act like i even have a controller installed, does anybody know the answer to this hopefully someone can help ,me

Noc Codez
May 14, 2014, 12:43 PM
maybe your software didn't install properly. try unplugging and plugging it back see if your PC picks it up. if not then it's your USB port try putting it into another USB port. I'm using mine just fine btw I also use the wireless Xbox 360 controller

Silver Crow
May 14, 2014, 12:46 PM
ps3 controllers + better ds3 > xbox controller, trade it in!

Noc Codez
May 14, 2014, 12:48 PM
ummm.. how is that helping his situation Silver fox?

Gama
May 14, 2014, 12:49 PM
well id do the folowing to troubleshoot this matter.

Update direct x
update gfx card driver
update audio card driver
then reinstall controller software
go to controller options and check if windows is detecting the controller properly
if yes go to the game with your controller already plugged in, and start the controller setup ingame.

gl and i hope you can fix it.

ps3 controllers + better ds3 > xbox controller, trade it in!

yes but i guess hes already used to the 360 shape, i myself prefer logitech over ps3 "because of the profiler and analog precision(and its a 8 year old controller take that sony)"

also is the reciever and controller oficial?

ShinKai
May 14, 2014, 01:37 PM
Wireless 360 controllers work on the PC? Sadly, I can't help much, as I thought they needed to be wired to be able to work with a PC.

Unless that receiver is new, usually the hook ups going to a wireless act as a charger for the battery pack, and don't send any actual data to the controller, making it so they do not work with a PC.

Have you tried what Gama suggested? Also, if you're running an old OS, (Like, XP) They didn't come with drivers to recognize 360 controllers, you'd have to download that from Microsoft.

Shadowth117
May 14, 2014, 02:03 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_28?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xbox%20360%20wireless%20controller%20rece iver&sprefix=xbox+360+wireless+controller%2Caps%2C278

For all of you non believers.

Now, the first thing to note is that PSO2 is only going to read what the system sees as the first controller connected to the system. If you have virtual controllers for whatever reason than you'll have to mess with those.

You can view what your computer is reading here:
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/gJKWofx.jpg[/spoiler-box]

And no I do not know why PSO2 doesn't let you select which controller you want to get input from like a lot of games. On the plus side, it totally can pick up your controller if you plug it in while its running (y u no do dis Valve!).

Silver Crow
May 14, 2014, 02:13 PM
ummm.. how is that helping his situation Silver fox?

I used to use an Xbox360 controller, you do know that Xinput puts your analog triggers on the same axis? Meaning if you use both trigger at the same time you will ZERO the input, that's game breaking. Get used to PS3 layout, you can use the D Pad at the same time as Left Stick, which is really important in pso2. You can't do that on Xbox360. PS3 controller is 10x more comfortable, you can really push yourself to the limit with it, for example http://youtu.be/nxRv6OHzD5M

invest in ps3 controller, use better ds3 and connect via bluetooth if you want wireless, /thread

Chik'Tikka
May 15, 2014, 07:48 PM
Aside from Gama's troubleshooting tips, I'd make sure the controller is on and synched before booting PSO2. PSO2 alos has a calibration menu somewhere in it i think which should help you test wether it works or not. Also, i suggest rebooting your machine after installing the pad+^_^+ been using a wireless 360 pad since Open beta way back without any issues+^_^+ at silver crow, i don't see how two triggers sharing an axis breaks PSO2...

Silver Crow
May 16, 2014, 07:23 AM
Uh, I do this all the time with my 360 controller. I run while moving through my item lists all the time. What you said is definitely not true.

Personally, I prefer 360 controllers over PS3 because the triggers are nicer. It's not a huge deal, just a tiny personal issue. However, I've yet to try the PS4 controllers, I've heard that they solved the trigger issue. I have both the PS3 and 360 controllers, and use the PS3 controller downstairs with my laptop, and the 360 one with my desktop PC.

well you can if you hit auto run, or you're saying you use your index finger to control left stick whilst using thumbs on dpad? ionno, I feel like keeping thumbs on sticks is more accurate, and the xbox has a notoriously sucky dpad, on ps3 layout you curl your index to the dpad, which hurts like hell until you get used to it. I got used to it on Monster Hunter games, on the PSP and PS2 so it feels natural, at least to me.

and yeah, if you like Xbox triggers then Dualshock4 is for you, personally I tried a DS4 in store and compared it to my ps3, I absolutely hate the ergonomic design, I prefer the hand strain from using a ps3 controller than using such ionno what's the word, just felt so small, I like my oversized sticks and triggers, matter of preference I guess but any form of Xbox controller I hate, I really hate having sticks above dpad and it feels so bloated.

I guess I shouldn't enforce my opinion, but I do feel strongly about it, I can't see people being able to use the dpad as well as you can on a ps3 *shrugs*

Shadowth117
May 16, 2014, 11:28 AM
well you can if you hit auto run, or you're saying you use your index finger to control left stick whilst using thumbs on dpad? ionno, I feel like keeping thumbs on sticks is more accurate, and the xbox has a notoriously sucky dpad, on ps3 layout you curl your index to the dpad, which hurts like hell until you get used to it. I got used to it on Monster Hunter games, on the PSP and PS2 so it feels natural, at least to me.

and yeah, if you like Xbox triggers then Dualshock4 is for you, personally I tried a DS4 in store and compared it to my ps3, I absolutely hate the ergonomic design, I prefer the hand strain from using a ps3 controller than using such ionno what's the word, just felt so small, I like my oversized sticks and triggers, matter of preference I guess but any form of Xbox controller I hate, I really hate having sticks above dpad and it feels so bloated.

I guess I shouldn't enforce my opinion, but I do feel strongly about it, I can't see people being able to use the dpad as well as you can on a ps3 *shrugs*

The newer variant of the Xbox 360 controllers actually has a pretty decent dpad, but they're a bit more expensive. I really like the Xbox One controller too, but Microsoft is just dragging its heels with that ridiculously and the unofficial driver has issues.

Nitro Vordex
May 16, 2014, 12:23 PM
I used to use an Xbox360 controller, you do know that Xinput puts your analog triggers on the same axis? Meaning if you use both trigger at the same time you will ZERO the input, that's game breaking.
Hahahaha no. I've never had a problem with this, like ever. PS3 controllers are awkward as fuck, and I don't like you for suggesting them. He's got a 360 controller, help with that controller or don't shitpost.

As for OP's problem, I believe it's been solved.

Silver Crow
May 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hahahaha no. I've never had a problem with this, like ever. PS3 controllers are awkward as fuck, and I don't like you for suggesting them. He's got a 360 controller, help with that controller or don't shitpost.

As for OP's problem, I believe it's been solved.

You can't laugh off a driver design flaw, it's how Xinput works, if you go to controller calibration you can see when pressing both triggers at the same time you get no Z axis input, since they're on the same axis, they cancel each other out.

Xbox One controller is also screwed until they update Xinput to separate the triggers, and put them on two separate axis. Even then the better option remains DS4, and like I said, there is no way to use the DPAD on Xbox layout at the same time as the left stick unless you use both hands or control the stick with your index finger by curling it which I don't believe anyone would be able to do well.

Why introduce yourself to problems when the likes of better controller design exists and isn't plagued with driver flaws since they're made by consumer third parties, which understand the players.

p.s. saying "shit post", you're just trying to be insulting with your huge xbox bias. doesn't make you sound cool, just makes you sound like an ignorant fanboy. Xbox controllers are just bloated and overrated. at least back up what you're saying. calling it "awkward" is just opinion, I find Xbox controllers awkward. And DS3 is a solid build, does the job. DS4 is designed for ergonomics so it's supposedly comfortable (though I prefer the solid feel of DS3 even if it hurts my hand after a while). But please stick to your xbox controller, kthx.

Shadowth117
May 16, 2014, 03:48 PM
You can't laugh off a driver design flaw, it's how Xinput works, if you go to controller calibration you can see when pressing both triggers at the same time you get no Z axis input, since they're on the same axis, they cancel each other out.

Xbox One controller is also screwed until they update Xinput to separate the triggers, and put then on two separate axis. Even then the better option remains DS4, and like I said, there is no way to use the DPAD on Xbox layout at the same time as the left stick unless you use both hands or control the stick with your index finger by curling it which I don't believe anyone would be able to do well.

Why introduce yourself to problems when the likes of better controller design exists and isn't plagued with driver flaws since they're made by consumer third parties, which understand the players.

Uh, I like the Xbox controller design better personally thank you. So you can shove off right off for telling me another controller design is objectively better.

Now lets examine these issues you brought up in reference to pso2. By default, dodging movements are linked to right trigger and subpallete selection usage is linked to left trigger. No one in their right mind is going to be using both of those at the same time. That at the very least was pretty decently thought out as far as the control scheme goes.

The dpad thing is actually funny because many games treat it similarly in that most games only require simple, short inputs from the player on it. This game doesn't really deviate from that. And in this game, you really only need to touch the dpad for very quick management of your weapons or whatever is on your subpalette. This means that its entirely appropriate to just hold a direction with your index finger or make simple movements if needed since you shouldn't be dealing with that for very long.

What's more of a problem is how controller weapon switching is handled inherently which is unrelated to controllers in general and more to how that ingame system was designed. If you are taking a lot of time switching weapons or switching subpallete icons, I think you've got more of a personal issue. Not to mention that with the default layout you have to deal with that finger position anyways if you want to TPS aim properly. That's also an inherent problem with how the ingame controls were designed, but it can be worked around.

So in short, I'm sorry if you don't like the layout as much as you find yourself sucking with it when I can make use of it just fine. In the end, its all inferior to mouse/keyboard play to begin with so I find it somewhat stupid to argue this at all.

Silver Crow
May 16, 2014, 04:19 PM
Uh, I like the Xbox controller design better personally thank you. So you can shove off right off for telling me another controller design is objectively better.

Now lets examine these issues you brought up in reference to pso2. By default, dodging movements are linked to right trigger and subpallete selection usage is linked to left trigger. No one in their right mind is going to be using both of those at the same time. That at the very least was pretty decently thought out as far as the control scheme goes.

The dpad thing is actually funny because many games treat it similarly in that most games only require simple, short inputs from the player on it. This game doesn't really deviate from that. And in this game, you really only need to touch the dpad for very quick management of your weapons or whatever is on your subpalette. This means that its entirely appropriate to just hold a direction with your index finger or make simple movements if needed since you shouldn't be dealing with that for very long.

What's more of a problem is how controller weapon switching is handled inherently which is unrelated to controllers in general and more to how that ingame system was designed. If you are taking a lot of time switching weapons or switching subpallete icons, I think you've got more of a personal issue. Not to mention that with the default layout you have to deal with that finger position anyways if you want to TPS aim properly. That's also an inherent problem with how the ingame controls were designed, but it can be worked around.

So in short, I'm sorry if you don't like the layout as much as you find yourself sucking with it when I can make use of it just fine. In the end, its all inferior to mouse/keyboard play to begin with so I find it somewhat stupid to argue this at all.

Okay so you're saying the problems I stated aren't a big deal to you, which is fine, but why have problems at all? I don't get it, but you guys really love your xbox controller... if it doesn't bother you then okay, but I said better design because of the ability to use d-pad at the same time (with a bit of practice). If that's not important to you then ok, but to me pausing for a second to scroll to a tech is less efficient than moving about, you could like you said, use the index finger to move the stick around, but with a DS3 you could do that a lot more accurately since your thumb remains on it at all times. I'm not a big fan of inefficiency, constantly moving my hand around just because I didn't want to spend the time to learn a layout which in the long run would improve my play style. I'm sure you can get by with an Xbox controller and avoid putting conflicting keys on the trigger, but again, with a DS3 you don't have to work around flaws.

So to those who already use Xbox controllers, stick with them if you're happy *shrugs* can't convince you.

p.s. I like "shove right off" ima use that o.o

Taaron
May 16, 2014, 11:30 PM
I've been having this issue for a good while now, with two different controllers.

a Saitek that I used with PSU, then at the recommendation of a friend who uses the model for his PSO2, an Afterglow X-box 360 controller. I have tried everything to solve this issue, replacing the controller, uninstalling & re-installing PSO2 multiple times, even going so far as re-installing Windows.

Until mentioned by Shadowth117, I never did think to check the "Set up your USB game controllers" option. When I did, this is what I saw:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/9a9e66be50aabe82481fadce4fd6b5aa/tumblr_n5pal0k8h51qhh95qo1_500.png

Does this mean PSO2 is seeing "Razer Blade" as the #1 controller, and ignoring the Afterglow?

Any idea how to swap the two so PSO2'll see the Afterglow as the #1 controller?

Mattykins
May 16, 2014, 11:43 PM
I love how every thread Silver Crow posts in immediately melts into, well... this.

Like seriously. There's arguing, and then there's this.

gigawuts
May 17, 2014, 12:58 AM
He's right about the triggers, but the rest is...I don't even know.

The Xbox 360 controller is designed such that the triggers share one axis. What does this mean? Your thumbstick uses two axes - one for vertical movement, one for horizontal movement. Up/right is positive, down/left is negative, the center is neutral - just like a graph. That much is obvious, what isn't obvious is that the triggers do this too but with just one axis.

Unlike thumbsticks, triggers only go one way. When you don't press them they're neutral, and the left trigger is negative while the right graph is positive like if you'd moved the thumbstick to one side or the other. The problem? When you hold them both down at the same levels the left one subtracts and the right one adds, leaving them at 0. 0, aka neutral, you know, like you aren't even pressing them.

This is only in directinput. Xinput isn't flawed, this was intentional. They were trying to force game developers into using a more modern standard. This is why triggers wonk out in older games, but work flawlessly in newer games - older games don't use the newer standard.

Joy2Key can't detect xinput. Xpadder can. I use both. Problem solved.

Silver Crow
May 17, 2014, 05:02 AM
I love how every thread Silver Crow posts in immediately melts into, well... this.

Like seriously. There's arguing, and then there's this.

pretty much, if someone tells me the reason why I'll try to change it, I can't help it, I'm a trouble maker it seems o.o I do say a lot of wrong things at times, and people show me why it's wrong, but before that it's a personal ego battle

He's right about the triggers, but the rest is...I don't even know.

The Xbox 360 controller is designed such that the triggers share one axis. What does this mean? Your thumbstick uses two axes - one for vertical movement, one for horizontal movement. Up/right is positive, down/left is negative, the center is neutral - just like a graph. That much is obvious, what isn't obvious is that the triggers do this too but with just one axis.

Unlike thumbsticks, triggers only go one way. When you don't press them they're neutral, and the left trigger is negative while the right graph is positive like if you'd moved the thumbstick to one side or the other. The problem? When you hold them both down at the same levels the left one subtracts and the right one adds, leaving them at 0. 0, aka neutral, you know, like you aren't even pressing them.

This is only in directinput. Xinput isn't flawed, this was intentional. They were trying to force game developers into using a more modern standard. This is why triggers wonk out in older games, but work flawlessly in newer games - older games don't use the newer standard.

Joy2Key can't detect xinput. Xpadder can. I use both. Problem solved.

oh it's direct input? so xinput is fine then... I didn't know, thanks

I can use my index finger to control the left stick while using my thumbs on the dpad just fine.

so you're constantly moving your thumb to dpad and left stick? see? that's my point, with a ds3 or ds4 layout you can keep your thumbs on the sticks. but if you're happy enough doing that then okay :-?

Chik'Tikka
May 17, 2014, 11:53 AM
I can use my index finger to control the left stick while using my thumbs on the dpad just fine.

Yay!! a fellow claw user!!! you do the same for the right side too, right? using index for the skittle buttons and middle finger for trigger/bumper? +^_^+

Silver Crow
May 17, 2014, 04:49 PM
No, I mean that I can move around the thumbstick and still use the dpad with other fingers, something you said was not possible. I guess if you're happy enough being wrong then okay :-?

Actually, no xD I don't do what I described often, only when I'm running and using items or doing multiple things at once. Sorry!

ehhh, im confused, but oki >.< I'm wrong

SakoHaruo
May 17, 2014, 05:16 PM
The Xbox360 controller D-pad is terrible for switching weapons on the fly. Does the Xbone controller work on PC? If so, use that one.