PDA

View Full Version : If PSO-World High was a fighting game...

Arksenth
May 19, 2014, 03:09 AM
I would have kicks like Chun-Li!

-continues to mini-skirt-

yoshiblue
May 19, 2014, 03:13 AM
Depends on who's chosen from the cast. Sometimes you get those fighting games with only eight characters out of a slew of potential choices.

Arksenth
May 19, 2014, 04:39 AM
How dare you imply that I wouldn't be one of the characters!

I'm easily better than all of you combined!

-high kicks-

Actually, I would probably be the only character since I can't think of any other person who actually has enough personality and charm to be more than a side character.

Since you're all poor people!

Ohohohohohoho!

Sayara
May 19, 2014, 08:44 AM
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/goldencircle83/reactions/animu/nottu-disu-shitto-agen.jpg\

gigawuts
May 19, 2014, 08:51 AM
gigawuts would have ganondalf's moveset

Sayara
May 19, 2014, 09:29 AM
gigawuts would have ganondalf's moveset

*grabs* FLY YOU FOOLS, *tosses em to the right and they explode dark magic?*

CelestialBlade
May 19, 2014, 10:31 AM
I call Hitomi.

Osu!!

PhotonDrop
May 19, 2014, 10:31 AM
PSO2 turned my signature weapon into one of those Wire Lances so logically...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnibTX99Gs

Outrider
May 19, 2014, 01:03 PM
How dare you imply that I wouldn't be one of the characters!

I'm easily better than all of you combined!

-high kicks-

Actually, I would probably be the only character since I can't think of any other person who actually has enough personality and charm to be more than a side character.

Since you're all poor people!

Ohohohohohoho!

Arksenth would be one of those new characters that the developer tried way too hard to make cool and is way overdesigned and ultimately nobody cares about once the game releases because the old characters are still so much better.

So... somewhere between "every terrible new character design from Soul Calibur V" and "Poor, forgotten Alex from Street Fighter III."

I just want to know who would be Q from Street Fighter III because seriously, what is that guy's deal, anyway?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080211012706/streetfighter/images/8/88/Q-stance.gif

EvilMag
May 19, 2014, 01:06 PM
I'd be a doc clone.

Sayara
May 19, 2014, 01:28 PM
Clearly Q is Ryna.

Vintasticvin
May 19, 2014, 02:01 PM
I call dibs on cheap combo locking mini boss that you have to use a Game Genie to beat.(F*** you MK2 Shoa Khan and minotaur from MK3)

Outrider
May 19, 2014, 02:52 PM
Clearly Q is Ryna.

Yeah, I think that works.

ShinMaruku
May 19, 2014, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1k0PoO_QAE

PhotonDrop
May 19, 2014, 05:11 PM
"every terrible new character design from Soul Calibur V"

You talkin' shit about my ZWEIfu? :argh:

CelestialBlade
May 19, 2014, 06:27 PM
God, I used to think ZWEI was cool, but I can't do shit with him. If his summons didn't have such a huge wind-up and if his regular weapon was worth a damn it'd be different, but, ugh.

I'm still pissed at that game for slashing the character count of 4's brutally.

BIG OLAF
May 19, 2014, 06:34 PM
I remember ZWEI. Yeah, he was basically useless. I mean, like any other character, you're going to find the handful of determined individuals that'll whoop your candy ass real good with him, but usually not.

Arksenth
May 20, 2014, 08:50 AM
Arksenth would be one of those new characters that the developer tried way too hard to make cool and is way overdesigned and ultimately nobody cares about once the game releases because the old characters are still so much better.

So... somewhere between "every terrible new character design from Soul Calibur V" and "Poor, forgotten Alex from Street Fighter III."

I just want to know who would be Q from Street Fighter III because seriously, what is that guy's deal, anyway?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080211012706/streetfighter/images/8/88/Q-stance.gif

Please, PSO-World High Fighting Game is too much for me.

Which means I would be a completely useless fighter, like Pichu in Smash Bros.

Duh!

I can't deal with being this useless!

-hides in oblivion-

Outrider
May 20, 2014, 09:59 AM

Not gonna lie; Zwei was exactly who I was thinking of when I was talking about over-designed characters.

Please, PSO-World High Fighting Game is too much for me.

Which means I would be a completely useless fighter, like Pichu in Smash Bros.

Duh!

I can't deal with being this useless!

-hides in oblivion-

Don't worry, maybe you'll get some useful movies in the sequel.

PhotonDrop
May 20, 2014, 12:27 PM
Of course you realize this means war.

Vintasticvin
May 20, 2014, 01:11 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2747&pictureid=38736[/SPOILER-BOX]

Outrider
May 20, 2014, 01:32 PM
Of course you realize this means war.

All I'm saying is dude's wearing biker gear and his weapon is a sword he holds like a tonfa along with a magic demon thingy.

Also, his name is an acronym.

PhotonDrop
May 20, 2014, 01:43 PM
All I'm saying is dude's wearing biker gear and his weapon is a sword he holds like a tonfa along with a magic demon thingy.

Also, his name is an acronym.

Yep, fits right in with the magical dominatrix and the robotic ninja Robin Hood. :wacko:

Outrider
May 20, 2014, 02:04 PM
Yep, fits right in with the magical dominatrix and the robotic ninja Robin Hood. :wacko:

There's also a lady who uses a Freddy Krueger claw and a magic crystal ball as a weapon.

What is even going on in these games?

AlexCraig
May 20, 2014, 02:56 PM
*Shrug* I stopped with SC3. Moved on to other things.

PhotonDrop
May 20, 2014, 03:10 PM
There's also a lady who uses a Freddy Krueger claw and a magic crystal ball as a weapon.

What is even going on in these games?

High fantasy. Come on, the series was never realistic, it's just more pronounced in 5.

Outrider
May 20, 2014, 03:10 PM
*Shrug* I stopped with SC3. Moved on to other things.

Yeah. I was super into SCII in college and then SCIII kinda changed too much so I dropped off. The thing is that they had SCV for like... $5 on Xbox Live a few weeks back and I picked it up figuring it could be a fun diversion. I just haven't gotten myself interested enough to actually play it for more than a few minutes yet, though.

High fantasy. Come on, the series was never realistic, it's just more pronounced in 5.

Nah, that's not high fantasy. High fantasy is Tolkien elves and stuff. It's more... anime fantasy. Obviously the series has always been pretty goofy, but I find many of the new designs to be either "too goofy" or "trying way too hard."

Crystal ball lady falls under "too goofy." Tira & Necrid and Zasalamel fall under "trying way too hard."

Plus they totally nuked Yunsung back in SCIII and I'm still a little bitter about that.

From what I've seen, I do like the Sun Wukong-inspired Kilik replacement in SCV, though.

PhotonDrop
May 20, 2014, 03:19 PM
Xiba is pretty awesome. Not many people like him since he's got the personality of a silly shonen protagonist but I welcome it. No offense to Kilik or Taki fans but they had dreadfully boring personalities. Yun-seong and Zas missing is a shame though, 5 would have been perfect if they at least kept those instead of two of the three mimic characters.

CelestialBlade
May 20, 2014, 03:29 PM
I'm still pissed about Amy. Yeah yeah, I know about Viola, but fuck that.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 24, 2014, 12:14 AM
PSOW a fighting game, where you get beat up? Rival Schools.

Or since you're all really old mans and not girls who kick

http://i5.minus.com/ib28vaGUyc4DZj.png

Nitro Vordex
May 24, 2014, 12:36 AM
Who was the asshole with the staff.

That'd be me.

With a fro.

Sord
May 26, 2014, 01:11 AM
Xiba is pretty awesome. Not many people like him since he's got the personality of a silly shonen protagonist but I welcome it. No offense to Kilik or Taki fans but they had dreadfully boring personalities. Yun-seong and Zas missing is a shame though, 5 would have been perfect if they at least kept those instead of two of the three mimic characters.

No Talim.
No Talim clone.
Shit sucks (like ZWEI.)
Seriously.

Outrider
May 27, 2014, 02:28 PM
After remaking Yun-seong as a Leixia clone, I played SCV for a couple hours this week.

I mean, it's still Soulcalibur, but jeez, it might just be the worst Soulcalibur.

Also, when I was playing online I came across somebody using Algol. He's... he's a gag character, right? They didn't actually make that character to be taken seriously, right?

Alternatively: is it possible that the Soul team included Todd McFarlane's designs in previous games because they're just trying to bring back the "extreme" era of comics from the '90s? Because Algol would fit right in and that would make a lot more sense.

yoshiblue
May 27, 2014, 02:31 PM
You saying we would be the worst fighting game ever?

PhotonDrop
May 27, 2014, 02:57 PM
The only game that had MacFarlane's designs was 2. Algol is easily the best thing to come from 4, one of the few things worth saving from that crappy installment.

Did you honestly expect there to be realism in a game where the primary antagonist is a sword made of meat?

Outrider
May 27, 2014, 05:17 PM
The only game that had MacFarlane's designs was 2.

That's the joke!

(That is to say, they keep making characters that would look at home in an awful '90s comic, such as Spawn.)

((The joke is that nobody's goal should be to try and create something that would look at home in a Spawn comic.))

(((Just so we're clear.)))

Algol is easily the best thing to come from 4, one of the few things worth saving from that crappy installment.

Naked dude whose special move is actually dropping a giant chair on the player is... well, actually, out of context that sounds kinda great.

It's like playing Killer Instinct all over again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdrJHACdrHk

I... I actually spent a ton of time playing this game back in the day. I'm not really ashamed to admit it, but I'm not exactly proud either.

Did you honestly expect there to be realism in a game where the primary antagonist is a sword made of meat?

Not at all what I was talking about. Realism =/= good character design.

Algol is like... a parody of fighting game end bosses. (Not even sure if he's an end boss, but that doesn't really change the point!) I thought Seth from SFIV was pretty stupid, but Algol takes the cake, grimaces at it while talking about how his power is unstoppable, makes spikes grow out of his back, and then has an elaborately animated & time-consuming grab attack that removes half the cake's health.

(And actually, that whole "spikes out of the back thing" is just bad game design. It goes against the long-standing "what you see is what you get" expectation when fighting during the earlier Soul games. This is the same reason why, as much as I love him, Link in SCII was kinda bullshit. Then again, it looks like everybody and their mother can spawn projectiles these days, so I guess the Soul team simply decided they didn't much care for that philosophy.)

Y'know, part of me wants to say it's just the goofy, over-the-top, half-naked, "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" boss types that I think are so silly (since my two examples are Seth and Algol), but I actually really liked whats-his-name from Street Fighter III.

The blue and red guy in the speedo? Anybody?

PhotonDrop
May 27, 2014, 05:39 PM
Gill.

I don't know Out-man, I'm just not seeing anything close to 90's X-TREEM in anybody's design.

The term you're looking for though is "camp". The over-the-top silliness is what made SC so great in the first place. It's actually an aspect that's been waning since 2 and why Algol, Hilde, Astaroth, etc are so amazing. The entire premise of the game is so absurd you'd be a fool to try making sense of it. Revel in the non-sense and have some fun!

Outrider
May 27, 2014, 06:34 PM
I would be hard pressed to define any of the earlier SC games as "campy" in the same sense that characters like Necrid and Algol are campy. Maybe Yoshimitsu? But even then, he was goofy in a way that's very tongue-in-cheek. Algol is very over-the-top but played completely straight.

(I will say that I took a quick glance at the character's page on the Soul series wiki and it sounds like he wasn't nearly as absurd in SCIV, so my apologies if I'm mischaracterizing him based on his most recent appearance.)

I also question how Hilde would fall under the proposed "camp" umbrella? She is designed very much in the vein of early Soulcalibur characters: take a fantasy archetype, give them a specific weapon that defines their character, and send them off into the world. She's a lady knight with a spear and a sword whose abilities seem to top out at the standard "Soulcalibur super-strength and durability."

If anything, she's one of the most normal character they've added to the series. That shouldn't be read as a complaint though; I quite like the character. Since Yun-seong is dead and I'm not loving Leixia's style, I'm tempted top lay around a bit more with Hilde.

I'll say this: if they had to have only one "brave knight" archetype in the series, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they dropped Siegfried and gave her top billing.

PhotonDrop
May 27, 2014, 07:13 PM
A character isn't defined by their appearance alone. Listen to Hilde's hammy-as-fuck voice acting and you'll see what I mean. It's a trait the Soul series has had since Soul Blade, though it's quite possible it was unintentional at that point. Cervantes has been this way from the beginning; so overly-dramatic with their lines it might as well be camp.

Necrid, on the other hand, is not campy at all, he was actually quite dull. He certainly had a unique style but overall was bland and uninteresting.

Good luck if you plan on sticking with Hilde, her style is tricky to pull off and not very rewarding.

EDIT: I'm honestly having a hard time trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion Soul Calibur was ever supposed to be serious when you have characters like Voldo running around.

chaoko99
May 27, 2014, 11:22 PM
I would be the mai shirinui of this game, though I would be a late story boss, with shields over her.. places... after reaching a quarter health, they would turn off. Making the 15 hrs it took to get to me feel worthwhile.. even if you could have spent that time getting nowhere with the opposite sex.

Outrider
May 28, 2014, 02:58 PM
A character isn't defined by their appearance alone. Listen to Hilde's hammy-as-fuck voice acting and you'll see what I mean. It's a trait the Soul series has had since Soul Blade, though it's quite possible it was unintentional at that point. Cervantes has been this way from the beginning; so overly-dramatic with their lines it might as well be camp.

Oh, just her characterization? Again, it seems pretty standard. Which character isn't all about hamming it up in these games? (It actually makes me a little sad that they got more established VAs for SCV.)

EDIT: I'm honestly having a hard time trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion Soul Calibur was ever supposed to be serious when you have characters like Voldo running around.

Serious? I never said I wanted serious business in this game. No no no. I want it to be consistent!

Consistency is all I ask! (http://books.google.com/books?id=zYhKAQAAQBAJ&pg=PT37&lpg=PT37&dq=rosencrantz+and+guildenstern+are+dead+consisten cy+is+all+I+ask&source=bl&ots=3W2u1kyGrB&sig=3tTXtjLlKEHkM6v3GhN9iUgoQ3E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6j6GU4jcIdO-sQT1roKgDg&ved=0CH8Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=rosencrantz%20and%20guildenstern%20are%20dead%20 consistency%20is%20all%20I%20ask&f=false)

If anything, I want the serious elements to be more tongue-in-cheek. Hence why this all started with me asking if Algol was a gag character, because he's clearly not somebody that can be taken seriously (though that appears to be the developer's intention).

It's one of the reasons why the PSP Soul Calibur game sounds like it might just be the perfect Soul Calibur game. I read that it ignores all the attempts to try and take itself seriously and just goes for complete goofitude.

If Algol was very clearly played for laughs, he would be the best character. Instead he's this "super-powerful" character who breaks conventions of the fiction and the gameplay in ways that don't fit well with the rest of the game. He's inconsistent with the rest of the characters & game. At least, that's the reading I've had of his character based on his super-limited appearance in SCV. Not sure how it differes from SCIV.

The funny thing is that after all this talk about Soul Calibur I went and played V for a couple hours last night. It's still not great, but it scratches the itch. It's just nice to be playing Soul Calibur again. The soul burns and all that.

CelestialBlade
May 28, 2014, 03:38 PM
The funny thing is that after all this talk about Soul Calibur I went and played V for a couple hours last night. It's still not great, but it scratches the itch. It's just nice to be playing Soul Calibur again. The soul burns and all that.
This sums up exactly how I feel about SCV. It's a big step down, single-player is ass, and I'm still really pissed off about how much they slashed the cast of characters...but, it's Soulcalibur, and it did satisfy the desire for me when it came out. It's not anywhere close to DOA5U with me right now, but hey, it worked.

I spend most of my time making characters (http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/butterflyseraph/Soulcalibur/sc5-thebird.jpg) anyway.

PhotonDrop
May 28, 2014, 04:22 PM
To be fair, SCV had its development time drastically slashed. The single-player aspect really hurt for this but I feel they've struck a really solid balance where even the weakest characters like ZWEI and Raphael aren't that much worse than top tiers. Well, unless your opponent is a freakin robot who can perfectly execute Alpha Patroklos' Just Frames. :wacko:

Forgive me if I sound defensive. It sucks to find a game like 5 that's so fun to play and everyone else wants to shit on it for small things. I enjoyed 2 but 3 and 4 were so awful I lost all interest until then.

CelestialBlade
May 28, 2014, 06:44 PM
To be fair, SCV had its development time drastically slashed. The single-player aspect really hurt for this but I feel they've struck a really solid balance where even the weakest characters like ZWEI and Raphael aren't that much worse than top tiers. Well, unless your opponent is a freakin robot who can perfectly execute Alpha Patroklos' Just Frames. :wacko:

Forgive me if I sound defensive. It sucks to find a game like 5 that's so fun to play and everyone else wants to shit on it for small things. I enjoyed 2 but 3 and 4 were so awful I lost all interest until then.
That's fair. I think I'm mostly disappointed in how, even though the production time was clearly shortened to unfair levels, there wasn't much work done on the project following that. I fully expected missing content to come down the pipe later as DLC, but I really haven't heard much of anything regarding SCV DLC, which is really disappointing. The game had a lot of potential, but I just can't like it in its current form. Also no Amy...technically.

At least SCV got me to stray from my usual Cervantes/Nightmare pro-ness and main Leixia and Pyrrha Omega.

Outrider
May 28, 2014, 06:50 PM
This sums up exactly how I feel about SCV. It's a big step down, single-player is ass, and I'm still really pissed off about how much they slashed the cast of characters...but, it's Soulcalibur, and it did satisfy the desire for me when it came out. It's not anywhere close to DOA5U with me right now, but hey, it worked.

I spend most of my time making characters (http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/butterflyseraph/Soulcalibur/sc5-thebird.jpg) anyway.

I have crazy plans to try and recreate as much of the missing cast as possible in Creation mode. So far I have Yun-seong and I made an okay-ish Talim last night.

Unfortunately, the fan community doesn't seem to be particularly interested in creating missing characters (or even if they have done this, they don't seem to be posting the formulas anywhere).

Is IV bad? I was almost tempted to pick it up since it at least would have all the characters with which I'm most familiar, but if it's not that great I'll keep ignoring it.

I do want to say one thing about SCIII: It doesn't skimp on content. The fact that it uses the character creation mode to include pretty much every previous character in the Soul series is pretty great. Sure, I never used them, but I kinda loved the idea.

Then again, I never played much of SCIII. My college roommate and I were pretty obsessed with SCII and were naturally excited for the sequel, but I pretty quickly realized I wasn't a fan. Aside from them screwing up my boy Yun-seong (his stances didn't flow from one to the other anymore!) I vaguely remember disliking how the physics became more bouncy and the way they introduced separate guard impacts for high & low attacks.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 28, 2014, 07:13 PM
Dotn make me ban punch/beat you Russianbot.
[spoiler-box]http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/059/b/0/mech_zangief_by_pryce14-d53s90v.png[/spoiler-box]

That's not what he looked like in 1997, less gaudy, but I'll allow it.

-
This 2003 topic that was down there on related's came up about which SF character do you look like, PSO-Off Topics. A classic.

CelestialBlade
May 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, the fan community doesn't seem to be particularly interested in creating missing characters (or even if they have done this, they don't seem to be posting the formulas anywhere).
And maybe that's why future DLC never made it off the ground--did the majority of the playerbase do what I did and quit when their disappointment with SCV hit critical mass? Were I not engrossed in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate at the moment, I would give it another shot if the community were still pretty active, but it doesn't sound like that's the case anyway.

Is IV bad? I was almost tempted to pick it up since it at least would have all the characters with which I'm most familiar, but if it's not that great I'll keep ignoring it.
Personally, I liked IV a lot more than V in many aspects, but V is the vastly superior game from a technical aspect. IV catered heavily to button-mashers in my experience--it was very, VERY forgiving. It wasn't like DoA where one good combo chain is pretty much game over for you if you're playing a very good player, and V did a much better job of letting you flow with some mad combos. That said, IV has *great* single-player (every character has a story, there's TONS of characters, lots to unlock, several ways of unlocking costume parts, and best of all: Tower of Lost Souls) and the cast of characters is insanely impressive for a fighting game. It's no hardcore game, but it's very fun and I've sank a *lot* of hours into IV.

V does have a far superior character creator as well, but the lack of fighting styles as a direct consequence of the lack of playable characters really puts a hurting on it versus IV's.

PhotonDrop
May 28, 2014, 09:51 PM
It's the strangest thing- SCV was putting out a ton of creation parts for the game regularly but Namco pulled the plug with no rhyme or reason. It was their best selling fighter in 2012 just barely inching out Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I suppose Harada wasn't having any of that though, so now we get f2p, p2w dreck like Lost Swords and Unbreakable Soul. :disapprove:

CelestialBlade
May 28, 2014, 10:01 PM
Against my better judgment I downloaded Lost Swords a couple of weeks ago.

All the regrets. Ugh.

Outrider
May 29, 2014, 10:37 AM
Well, it could be worse:

You could be playing that weird Wii spin-off that I'm still not convinced actually exists.

chaoko99
May 29, 2014, 01:02 PM
Well, it could be worse:

You could be playing that weird Wii spin-off that I'm still not convinced actually exists.

It exists it's just underrated as hell.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 7, 2014, 08:23 PM
If PSOW + FKL was a fighting game?

"Yardle" wouldn't be banned

Nitro Vordex
Jun 7, 2014, 10:55 PM
And Yamato Throwing would be an unlockable style.

Sayara
Jun 7, 2014, 11:37 PM
If only punching ice was a powerup attack

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 10, 2014, 11:52 PM
Gonna ban Yardle from those hot topic t-shirts.

[spoiler-box]http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_konsqoBb1l1qzjh2mo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1402548658&Signature=5o9SslMxFmMrPmDlZC%2BQIF3vpZI%3D#_=_

http://i1.minus.com/ibf2yvZ9X6qyZo.jpg[/spoiler-box]

:neutral: Green on Green :neutral: violence.

Weeaboolits
Jun 13, 2014, 11:10 PM
I was very upset that they didn't have Talim or anyone that played like her in SCV.

PhotonDrop
Jun 14, 2014, 01:25 PM
Remember that time we- well, myself and a couple others, made up Smash Bros style move sets for ourselves?

Shadowpawn
Jun 14, 2014, 05:35 PM
If PSO-W was a fighting game I would be that one hidden character that's instantly labeled as cheap day one.

yoshiblue
Jun 14, 2014, 07:35 PM
Dibs on menu character. Help you set up all the options.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 15, 2014, 02:00 AM
[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/5yy05W7.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Training modo

or mudu...

Vampy
Jun 16, 2014, 02:39 PM
I just had a thought with bouncer since arksenth now has high kicks I can see him using that loincloth for upskirt shots -shudders are the thought- Sure probably not the best looking thing but only male set I can think of that has a skirt thing.

Then that character would be banned for causing premature blindness from the trauma then slowly forgotten then removed from the game

Arksenth
Jun 16, 2014, 03:16 PM
Ohohohohohohoho!

My high kicks are too strong for everyone!

It's okay, whine about the OP character all you want, nothing will change because the devs suck at balance!

-high kicks-

Vampy
Jun 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Too bad you are banned from tournaments. Unless you make one where you are the only playable character with an absurd number of reskins

Chrysheight
Jun 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Sounds like something Ark would do.