PDA

View Full Version : Since the SEA version comes out later this month and is in english

The Furtive Pygmy
May 19, 2014, 06:06 AM
Does that mean we can hope for a almost full translation for the japanese version? of course they would have to leave out "wizard" for force and "potion" for the mates.

that's why i say almost full translation

what do you guys think?

Arada
May 19, 2014, 06:11 AM
We already have that on JP version. There are very few things left in Japanese now.

EDIT: the people doing the translation patches are doing a great work and a fast work for all there is to do.

Shear
May 19, 2014, 06:13 AM
Also from what has been seen the SEA translation is ... err ... "not very good"
As in "ohmygodmyeyesarebleeding" levels for fans of the series.

Z-0
May 19, 2014, 06:18 AM
I heard that the SEA translation is actually extremely good, just the names are very bad.

Shear
May 19, 2014, 06:19 AM
huh ... maybe I need to listen more.

WildarmsRE5
May 19, 2014, 07:19 AM
the names are bad, and that's what makes my eyes bleed. totally regretted playing the SEA version.

Magikarp
May 19, 2014, 07:28 AM
We already have that on JP version. There are very few things left in Japanese now.

Quest flavour text? NPC sayings in missions? Item descriptions for weapons and armour? Some of these are partially done already, some of Revelle's early quests are fully translated but the majority of the quests in the game are not. Sword and wired lance weapon descriptions were translated, but the rest of the weapons have not been translated yet.

I understand why these haven't been translated, as it's a lot of work for no real gain. In fact I'm not sure why the translators even bothered doing these in the first place, but to say that there's very few things left in Japanese is wrong.

If the translators can use the SEA version to help speed up the work they've already started on the quest descriptions and item descriptions, I see little reason why they shouldn't make use of that if it's in their power to do so.

Shear
May 19, 2014, 07:35 AM
Using the SEA version as base could be ... problematic.
It's one thing doing the translation yourself, another if you use anothers work (in this case SEA's) due to Copyright issues.

gigawuts
May 19, 2014, 08:03 AM
It depends on how many, and what kinds, of liberties the SEA translators take. If there are a lot of minor differences, or a couple really big ones, I'd personally rather go with the original unless they're significant improvements (like a complete rewrite of Echo's personality, what an annoying whiny bitch).

WildarmsRE5
May 19, 2014, 08:27 AM
We're still in discussion about this - Until we finalize the enemy names, we're holding off on potentially using any SEA material.http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

please AIDA, don't use the enemy names.

landman
May 19, 2014, 08:29 AM
"SEA translators" were Sega, they had a translated game collecting dust in their hard drives, of course some changes were provably made for the SEA after the announcement.

Sayara
May 19, 2014, 08:41 AM
It depends on how many, and what kinds, of liberties the SEA translators take. If there are a lot of minor differences, or a couple really big ones, I'd personally rather go with the original unless they're significant improvements (like a complete rewrite of Echo's personality, what an annoying whiny bitch).

>wtb Symbolart of Echo's face with a giant X on it
"Shut up Echo"

but the item patching, is that what was included at like cirno's page? The descriptions of the WLs and whatnot were pretty amusing (especially Diabolic Gauntlet's pleasure before death? pls)

Dnd
May 19, 2014, 09:31 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

please AIDA, don't use the enemy names.

Please use enemy names, espically this one
[SPOILER-BOX]Bredicarda never forget - image stolen from Natsu.http://i.imgur.com/mVEQl9w.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kondibon
May 19, 2014, 09:54 AM
I don't remember the specifics but I remember a few things sounding better in english, like whatever they called the matterboard. I agree that the names are a mess though.

WildarmsRE5
May 19, 2014, 10:02 AM
I don't remember the specifics but I remember a few things sounding better in english, like whatever they called the matterboard. I agree that the names are a mess though.the only things that sounded good we're the Photon Arts.

Kondibon
May 19, 2014, 10:06 AM
the only things that sounded good we're the Photon Arts.I remember at least 3 things I thought sounded good, or at least better than the engrish that was replaced. Some of the PA names, whatever they called the matter board (someone please help me out here), and something else. I might have to find that old thread again.

EDIT: The last one was "good job" being changed to "thumbs up"

final_attack
May 19, 2014, 10:14 AM
whatever they called the matter board

Paradigm Matrix(?). I could be wrong though ^^;

Kondibon
May 19, 2014, 10:19 AM
Paradigm Matrix(?)Yeah, I think that was it. I just like it better than Matter Board.

Also I forgot My Room=My Quarters, but that and a few other things could go either way. I personally like Dragonii more than Dragonkin just because it rolls off the tongue better for instance.

The rest is just lolwhy.

Macman
May 19, 2014, 02:37 PM
the names are bad, and that's what makes my eyes bleed. totally regretted playing the SEA version.
Just looking at the font on the SEA version strains my eyes.

The Furtive Pygmy
May 19, 2014, 04:32 PM
At the time, the item patch was not ready, so I was left with some free time. I used it to translate some of the "less important" things like Quest descriptions and such.

We're still in discussion about this - Until we finalize the enemy names, we're holding off on potentially using any SEA material.

Interesting.

Well i hope you use it haha. I'm so excited for a full english game.

If anything you can skip the enemy names of enemies and just get the descriptions of quests/items from the SEA version because i imagine the translations of the descriptions cant be too bad since they have to describe what something is clearly

Sizustar
May 19, 2014, 06:13 PM
Interesting.

Well i hope you use it haha. I'm so excited for a full english game.

If anything you can skip the enemy names of enemies and just get the descriptions of quests/items from the SEA version because i imagine the translations of the descriptions cant be too bad since they have to describe what something is clearly

Region block?
1.5 episode behind?

The Furtive Pygmy
May 19, 2014, 06:51 PM
Region block?
1.5 episode behind?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? can you explain further?

blace
May 19, 2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this? can you explain further?

The region block or how far behind in content it's in?

The game is only available to south east asia (SEA) and it only has episode 1 as current content. As far as I'm aware, no Dewman or Braver and lacking a lot of exploration.

The Furtive Pygmy
May 19, 2014, 07:17 PM
The region block or how far behind in content it's in?

The game is only available to south east asia (SEA) and it only has episode 1 as current content. As far as I'm aware, no Dewman or Braver and lacking a lot of exploration.

Oh isee. well i imagine they can still get a good amount of item/ quest descriptions from it.

blace
May 19, 2014, 07:24 PM
Oh isee. well i imagine they can still get a good amount of item/ quest descriptions from it.

Most of the episode 1 content has been translated already making it rather pointless as the game is pretty far into episode 2 with the update last year. It could be revised if their translations were better in terms of usage rather than fan translation, but that's up to AIDA and her team.

Yden
May 19, 2014, 08:01 PM
Most of the episode 1 content has been translated already making it rather pointless as the game is pretty far into episode 2 with the update last year. It could be revised if their translations were better in terms of usage rather than fan translation, but that's up to AIDA and her team.

It's mainly the story related stuff that's translated. A lot of the flavor stuff for the whole hasn't been like NPC lobby dialog and message packs.

noobishcholo
May 19, 2014, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if it's worth switching. The JP release has a pretty solid translation as it is right now.

Maenara
May 19, 2014, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure if it's worth switching. The JP release has a pretty solid translation as it is right now.

Define solid.

Maybe 30% of the text in the game is translated. Everything that IS translated is all stuff that most people are going to see 90% of the time, and actually matters, so it seems likes way more than it actually is. Translating an entire game is a massive process, and even more so when it continually is updated.

WildarmsRE5
May 19, 2014, 11:11 PM
btw, isn't Paradigm Shift is the replacement for the Matter Board?

wohdin
May 20, 2014, 12:19 AM
Considering how much of a pain it is to get past the SEA region block (basically requires paying for a VPN, and even then say hello to twice the international lag because SEA internet is abysmal), it's not really worth it to try to get access to the game for the everyman. Maybe it would be possible to just extract the text from SEA version and then inject it directly into the JP client, but I think it's better to just stick to the translations that we have, since the vast majority of the content that's available in SEA right now is probably already translated, and likely with less Indonengrish. Maybe things like item descriptions and other minor bulk things could be extracted for completion's sake, but it still wouldn't be "complete".

Paradigm Matrix

pffff someone's been playing too much FFXIII

Maronji
May 20, 2014, 12:21 AM
btw, isn't Paradigm Shift is the replacement for the Matter Board?
pffff someone's been playing too much FFXIII

Fixed. You were so close, too.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 20, 2014, 01:27 AM
WeDidEverythingButGiveChrotoHisProperName%

i wont let this go

Otokonokotron
May 20, 2014, 01:29 AM
i hear risa doesnt refer to herself in the third person in the sega translations...

Shear
May 20, 2014, 02:14 AM
Did you mean SEA translation?

Sizustar
May 20, 2014, 12:18 PM
Did you mean SEA translation?

That is correct

Gardios
May 20, 2014, 12:42 PM
i hear risa doesnt refer to herself in the third person in the sega translations...

Good, because just because she does in Japanese doesn't mean it works in English.

GHNeko
May 20, 2014, 03:26 PM
But it does work.

Referring to yourself in 3rd person in the style Lisa does WITH context of who she is works fine in western context as the way Lisa does it is supposed to infer she's fucking mental and it works in both Japanese and English.

The biggest change I'd see with her is that she'd be less "innocent crazy" and more "vulgar crazy".

omgwtflolbbl
May 20, 2014, 04:08 PM
Yeah... while talking in 3rd person usually sounds stupid instead of being "cute" in English like it may in Japanese, it actually makes Lisa seem extra mental, which is awesome imo.

gigawuts
May 20, 2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah... while talking in 3rd person usually sounds stupid instead of being "cute" in English like it may in Japanese, it actually makes Lisa seem extra mental, which is awesome imo.

I thought that was the whole point - she's fucking insane. She talks about wanting to shoot humans but not being allowed, and hoping humans get infected by darkers so she can have an excuse and see what it feels like.

GHNeko
May 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
She talks about Gettymart and how he's all fighting to die, then goes on to say that she would love to blow his fucking head off.

Fucking Lisa man lol.

Either way, her 3rd person dialect works fine in western or eastern context. It'd just need to be tweaked to better jive with the west.

omgwtflolbbl
May 20, 2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah, my point was that it's one of the few cases where I like the whole "talking in 3rd person" thing to be translated as such. Normally when translators keep the 3rd person thing going in English because the character is uguuimsokawaiiuguu and that's supposedly cute/childish in Japanese for whatever reason, it just sounds kind of dumb because nobody who speaks English actually talks that way.

But since Lisa is pretty mental, I actually prefer the 3rd person speech to be translated directly as such, as it actually fits the character when it is translated so.

Basically (imo):
3rd person + english + "cute" = sounds dumb
3rd person + english + mental = fits pretty well lol

Macman
May 20, 2014, 05:16 PM
I thought that was the whole point - she's fucking insane. She talks about wanting to shoot humans but not being allowed, and hoping humans get infected by darkers so she can have an excuse and see what it feels like.
Wonder what she thinks about Dewmans.

Wilder
May 20, 2014, 09:24 PM
depends on the cash situation for me o-o the premium stuff and all that other stuff, btw im new here Hi everyone :D

Nymfidemus
May 20, 2014, 10:48 PM
depends on the cash situation for me o-o the premium stuff and all that other stuff, btw im new here Hi everyone :D

The one and only good point:
-Easier to buy AC w/o having a credit card; @Cash, MOL etc.

That's it?
Yes, because it's A$ia$oft.

landman
May 21, 2014, 03:34 AM
Yeah, my point was that it's one of the few cases where I like the whole "talking in 3rd person" thing to be translated as such. Normally when translators keep the 3rd person thing going in English because the character is uguuimsokawaiiuguu and that's supposedly cute/childish in Japanese for whatever reason, it just sounds kind of dumb because nobody who speaks English actually talks that way.

But since Lisa is pretty mental, I actually prefer the 3rd person speech to be translated directly as such, as it actually fits the character when it is translated so.

Basically (imo):
3rd person + english + "cute" = sounds dumb
3rd person + english + mental = fits pretty well lol

But if no one talks 3rd person in English, why would an insane person talk third person? the translator (Sega, not SEA) did what it has to be done in a proper and professional localization. Even if Risa is crazy, the third person she uses is to sound cute, and ad contrast to the content of her sentences.

Sizustar
May 21, 2014, 03:38 AM
But if no one talks 3rd person in English, why would an insane person talk third person? the translator (Sega, not SEA) did what it has to be done in a proper and professional localization. Even if Risa is crazy, the third person she uses is to sound cute, and ad contrast to the content of her sentences.

People do talk in third person, it's called Illeism, and quite a few people use it in ENGLISH.

GHNeko
May 21, 2014, 06:45 AM
But if no one talks 3rd person in English,

nope.avi

as already posted, this is incorrect.

omgwtflolbbl
May 21, 2014, 10:53 AM
/hidesinshame

I just realized that I never watched Sesame Street as a kid. Holy cow.

icewindz
May 21, 2014, 12:02 PM
Level 40 cap patch when Koffie give 0 exp.

That's hurt.

Jazneo
May 21, 2014, 12:23 PM
only good thing about this Sea version. it let the English Patch find stuff they had hard time Translate use in the Japanese servers one