PDA

View Full Version : Using PSO2 with Steam's in-house streaming (WIP - Assistance required)

AIDA
May 26, 2014, 05:30 AM
So, I'm trying out Steam's new in-house streaming feature (which is pretty freaking cool, check it out at http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/ ). It looks like it will only allow input to the first program you launch with it, meaning that I can launch the PSO2 Tweaker with it, have it autostart PSO2 with the item patch on, but then PSO2 won't accept any input.

It's not by EXE name either, I made a program called PSO2.exe that did the above, and it didn't work. I'm guessing it's by processID or something. Anyone have any success with it? You can't use it with Vanilla PSO2 because of PSO2_launcher.exe being the first process. You can't use the +e2whatever method I posted about either, because this opens pso2.exe, closes it after checking, then restarts, which means it's not the same (Process ID? Whatever) as the original opened program, so it won't accept input again.

Thoughts are very welcome - I have a weak machine downstairs that can stream PSO2 in super high quality from my strong machine upstairs, but I can't get any sort of input working on it. It's of note that the streaming also works in Linux, so this is a much easier way to play on Linux than using a VM and have ridiculous specs. (If we can get it working)

Silver Crow
May 26, 2014, 05:58 AM
That sounds like the sorta thing psohack forums would know about, have you tried there?

Kion
May 26, 2014, 06:25 AM
This could be possible with chrome. A new feature is to allow for recording the entire screen with Javascript.

On chrome in the browser bar enter, "chrome://flags/#enable-usermedia-screen-capture" (without the quotes), and select "Enable" right below the highlighted "Enable screen capture support in getUserMedia()" and then press the Relauch button which should have appeared at the button of the screen.

From there you can open a webpage like https://html5-demos.appspot.com/static/getusermedia/screenshare.html to test out chrome capturing your desktop. Setting up windows as a local server and piping video to clients over the internet shouldn't be too hard. Hard part is compiling an extension to allow for user input to be streamed over a websocket to be executed on a windows host.

Maronji
May 26, 2014, 07:44 AM
I find this situation weird because Borderlands 2 has a launcher that goes into the main game executable, and I was able to interact with the game (on both machines; my younger brother taught me that the hard way >_>).

Maybe there's some kind of variable that we're missing? I'll give it a try later, myself, and see if it works any differently on my end.

Shinamori
May 26, 2014, 07:50 AM
So, I'm trying out Steam's new in-house streaming feature (which is pretty freaking cool, check it out at http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/ ). It looks like it will only allow input to the first program you launch with it, meaning that I can launch the PSO2 Tweaker with it, have it autostart PSO2 with the item patch on, but then PSO2 won't accept any input.

It's not by EXE name either, I made a program called PSO2.exe that did the above, and it didn't work. I'm guessing it's by processID or something. Anyone have any success with it? You can't use it with Vanilla PSO2 because of PSO2_launcher.exe being the first process. You can't use the +e2whatever method I posted about either, because this opens pso2.exe, closes it after checking, then restarts, which means it's not the same (Process ID? Whatever) as the original opened program, so it won't accept input again.

Thoughts are very welcome - I have a weak machine downstairs that can stream PSO2 in super high quality from my strong machine upstairs, but I can't get any sort of input working on it. It's of note that the streaming also works in Linux, so this is a much easier way to play on Linux than using a VM and have ridiculous specs. (If we can get it working)

I'm assuming you have it running before starting pso2, right? I had a problem of MSI Afterburner not detecting PSO2 after PSO2 is opened. However, I start MSI Afterburner before launching into PSO2, it will detect PSO2 and hook into it. I'm not sure if that is a similar issue though.

ignika98
May 26, 2014, 10:50 AM
Oddly, when i tried this, when I pressed alt+f4 PSO2 registered it and opened the quit window.

Undeadfellow
May 26, 2014, 10:54 AM
I don't think it's possible without using some sort of extension/plug-in, probably.

Misaki Ki
May 26, 2014, 02:16 PM
You're absolutely sure Gameguard isn't blocking the network inputs?

I tried using In-Home streaming with PSO2 a few months back, but it wasn't working with it then. At least it seems we can launch it now, lol.

Chik'Tikka
May 26, 2014, 04:44 PM
This could be possible with chrome. A new feature is to allow for recording the entire screen with Javascript.

On chrome in the browser bar enter, "chrome://flags/#enable-usermedia-screen-capture" (without the quotes), and select "Enable" right below the highlighted "Enable screen capture support in getUserMedia()" and then press the Relauch button which should have appeared at the button of the screen.

From there you can open a webpage like https://html5-demos.appspot.com/static/getusermedia/screenshare.html to test out chrome capturing your desktop. Setting up windows as a local server and piping video to clients over the internet shouldn't be too hard. Hard part is compiling an extension to allow for user input to be streamed over a websocket to be executed on a windows host.

idk about chrome, but when i couldn't get Afterburner to hook PSO2, i would capture the desktop for recording, and while it wasn't there in game, the recording showed the system mouse cursor alongside PSO2's cursor+^_^+ only way around it was removing my system cursor altogether or deleting GG's registry and rebooting for what felt like 50/50 chance of Afterburner hooking.

Also, doesn't chrome buffer the video slightly? buffering+additional network travel could potentially cause input lag......

i live in tiny apartment and only have one computer so i can't really help test out Steam streaming feature...

Zorak000
Jan 29, 2015, 01:12 PM
I can use my DS4Windows-operated Dualshock 4 controller, but I cant get past the login screen because the keyboard and mouse are disabled.

valve mentions that there are programs that use some elevated permissions or something that do the same thing when ran via in home.

this might be a bump of an old thread but I was banking on steam in-home as a way to let me play while I recover from a surgery and cant go downstairs to my desktop

Macman
Jan 29, 2015, 01:41 PM
Just out of curiousity. Do you manage to get the overlay to stick with all methods?

Zorak000
Jan 29, 2015, 02:20 PM
well right now I am able to launch tweaker via steam in home, then launch pso2 from that. I think that still keeps all of it running fine, it is just that the privileges seem to be elevated or whatever they call this situation. So while my "xbox"(ds4) controller works, I cant put in my password and OTP to login :(

also alt+f4 works, so it is clearly not a total block of all keyboard things. there is got to be a solution somewhere and since I am stuck here with nothing else *glances at burn drall EQ notification on phone, slides it into a drawer* to do, I'll be trying to figure it out

Zorak000
Jan 29, 2015, 03:10 PM
I cheated by going downstairs to input my passwords, but there is a new problem... while the menus operate fine since they just use the digital buttons, any and all analog input does not work. not even the triggers that are supposed to act like both buttons and triggers! so unless I can get this working all I can do is autofollow someone and attack anything that gets close...

Chdata
Jan 29, 2015, 03:25 PM

I did this easily by

1. Enable desktop streaming while not in-game
2. Go stream IWBTBoshy or something else that you can mute and minimize.
3. Play PSO2 in windowed mode.

Done.

You can also get PSO2 to "window capture" things like AHK GUIs with a background, but it's a little weird...

2. Hook it to your window, it won't be able to capture it at first
3. Wait till someone is in your stream, or enter your own stream (so you can keep track of whether or not it's showing or not)
4. Go to desktop.
5. Focus back on the GUI. Now if you minimize and maximize the window you should see a black box trail behind it, which means steam is recording it properly now.
6. Disable desktop streaming if you want to be able to click off your window and still have it be recorded, you may need to minimize/maximize again.

I used it to stream music / have a changing background.

Zorak000
Jan 29, 2015, 04:02 PM
I did this easily by

2. Go stream IWBTBoshy or something else that you can mute and minimize.
3. Play PSO2 in windowed mode.

Done.

You can also get PSO2 to "window capture" things like AHK GUIs with a background, but it's a little weird...

2. Hook it to your window, it won't be able to capture it at first
3. Wait till someone is in your stream, or enter your own stream (so you can keep track of whether or not it's showing or not)
4. Go to desktop.
5. Focus back on the GUI. Now if you minimize and maximize the window you should see a black box trail behind it, which means steam is recording it properly now.
6. Disable desktop streaming if you want to be able to click off your window and still have it be recorded, you may need to minimize/maximize again.

I used it to stream music / have a changing background.

Launching something else via steam then launching pso2 outside of steam caused all input to stop as soon as pso2 started, so I can't even alt+f4 out of this now.

your instructions seem to be using terms associated with Steam Broadcasting, not Steam In-House Streaming.

TheszNuts
Jan 29, 2015, 04:21 PM
#3 is obvious broadcasting directions, not in-house.

Chdata
Jan 29, 2015, 05:21 PM
Launching something else via steam then launching pso2 outside of steam caused all input to stop as soon as pso2 started, so I can't even alt+f4 out of this now.

your instructions seem to be using terms associated with Steam Broadcasting, not Steam In-House Streaming.

Oh right, I mistook in-house streaming for steam streaming.

AIDA
Jan 30, 2015, 08:32 AM
For the record, steam broadcasting is as easy as launching the game via Tweaker (through Steam). Works fine for me.

Chdata
Jan 30, 2015, 12:59 PM
GG or something always prevents me from hooking steam to PSO2 ;O

Punisher106
Jan 30, 2015, 01:41 PM
I do remember seeing someone saying they wanted to watch my stream broadcast while I was playing PSO2. I can seemingly get a consistent Steam Overlay as I play, and I launch PSO2 via the tweaker, which I have hooked to Steam. I dunno if you need the overlay to be usable in PSO2 to be able to do this streaming, but if that information helps, welp.

landman
Oct 26, 2015, 02:51 AM
Re-bump.

Just wanted to ad to the list of things Gameguard does not allow us to do regarding Steam: emulating Mouse and Keyboard with a Steam Controller. I can only emulate an x-input controller that pso2 will recognize, if I try to bind any keyboard or mouse key or the mouse movement to any trackpad/gyro it will be in vain. A real shame because the Steam Controller, so far, poorly emulates the right thumbstick for aiming games (that's why it's supposed to emulate a mouse).

Dreamwalk3r
Oct 26, 2015, 03:28 AM
Re-bump.

Just wanted to ad to the list of things Gameguard does not allow us to do regarding Steam: emulating Mouse and Keyboard with a Steam Controller. I can only emulate an x-input controller that pso2 will recognize, if I try to bind any keyboard or mouse key or the mouse movement to any trackpad/gyro it will be in vain. A real shame because the Steam Controller, so far, poorly emulates the right thumbstick for aiming games (that's why it's supposed to emulate a mouse).

To add to this: TeamViewer, tinc-vnc and Splashtop don't work either. Gameguard has it all covered.

Poyonche
Oct 26, 2015, 05:43 AM
Is GameGuard afraid we build nukes using a Steam Controller or what ?

Charmeleon
Oct 26, 2015, 01:27 PM
Hopefully there will be a workaround for the Steam Controller and PSO2. I was getting excited to use one with it since my 360 gamepad's joystick has been dying the past few months.

landman
Oct 26, 2015, 01:39 PM
Hopefully there will be a workaround for the Steam Controller and PSO2. I was getting excited to use one with it since my 360 gamepad's joystick has been dying the past few months.

I don't think the Steam controller can be a substitute for a 360 pad, most games designed for gamepad play worse, at most after many hours and tweaks (my case with pso2 after two weekends) you can manage to use the right trackpad almost as a right thumbstick, and every game needs different tweaks. On the other hand, games that support both gamepad + mouse simultaneously (like... pso2, but without gameguard) are are awesome to play, but with many tweaks until you feel comfortable. But I'm using the controller with the beta drivers after all, there is a chance they will improve them and make them so gameguard thinks it's the real thing instead of mouse remap/emulation.

Maenara
Oct 26, 2015, 03:36 PM
PSO2 blocks Virtual Key input. You need to generate the scancodes for DirectInput otherwise PSO2 will outright block them, even if PSO2 isn't in-focus, but your cursor happens to be over its window. This fucks with various things.

Charmeleon
Nov 10, 2015, 08:36 PM
So I picked up a Steam controller today and everything seems to work fine for me. No problems binding KB+M nor the gyro.

Haven't played much with the controller yet, but my only complaint so far is that the buttons are pretty damn loud.

kbuzz
Jul 9, 2016, 10:22 PM
I've had luck using steam's in home streaming for non-steam games with an AHK script

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/490125103637825153/

Only issue is that steam automatically configures controllers as kb+m emulation if games aren't being launched directly from steam. This is in case the steam game you're trying to run uses launchers (oniken etc). Even the host pc wont recognize that a controller is connected.

Edit: sorry for necro

TheszNuts
Jul 9, 2016, 10:33 PM
Wheres that thread necromancy pic?

Keilyn
Jul 9, 2016, 11:18 PM
Since I'm an MTG player....

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg