PDA

View Full Version : A new player to PSO2...

1000Chance
May 26, 2014, 01:38 PM
So I'm kinda late to the party, decided to try out PSO2jp with a bunch of friends together.. (Also, pardon me if this is posted in the wrong place!)

One major question me and my friends have -

This whole subclass thing I've seen on some topics and guides I tried reading.. (HU/RA, FO/TE and stuff like that). Is there any kind souls out there willing to break it down for us, simply saying, if there's one suited for better understanding? Simply put, we have no idea what class to play since they all look so good.

Also, the MAGs. What happens if I were to say, want to build an all-rounder character that plays all the classes? Wouldn't say a MAG fed mainly into S-ATK be useless if I were to change to Force?

Some thoughts I have at the moment.. Would appreciate any help I can get!

Vintasticvin
May 26, 2014, 01:48 PM
Well if you change to force and have the techer class unlocked you can still melee with your atp dominant mag with a wand tree build

mctastee
May 26, 2014, 05:17 PM
Subclasses are leveled separately from your main class, but 10% of the experience you gain up until the subclass hits level 50. You get 20% of the stats from your subclass added to your overall stats. You also get to use all PAs/techs and skills from your subclasses skill tree. A good tip for leveling your subclass is when you get to super hard, pick up the COs from hans to kill mobs in all the areas and switching to your subclass then turning in all the COs.

TehCubey
May 26, 2014, 07:47 PM
Is there any kind souls out there willing to break it down for us, simply saying, if there's one suited for better understanding? Simply put, we have no idea what class to play since they all look so good.

Hunter is generally considered the best subclass for melee and ranged classes. There are other builds that have a different sub, but that's the newbie-friendly version.

If you want to play a spellcaster, you usually go force/techer.

Also, the MAGs. What happens if I were to say, want to build an all-rounder character that plays all the classes? Wouldn't say a MAG fed mainly into S-ATK be useless if I were to change to Force?

Making an all-rounder mag is a bad idea. Better to have one that is good at one class than shitty at all of them.

Just stick to one class and feed your mag to help that one. If you want more mags, either shell out RL money for AC, or create a second character.

I may sound harsh but that's the truth. There are very few things in PSO2 that you have to be careful with because they're not easy to undo witout paying AC, but mags just happen to be one of them.

Rengemaru
May 27, 2014, 12:06 AM
As everyone said here, having an all-rounder Mag is a pretty bad idea. The best way to make a neutral all-rounder is to have a pure DEX Mag. And even that will have its limitations. First choose your class and then think about your Mag.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me on this, but here is a short description of the classes from my experience in the game:
(HU: Hunter, RA: Ranger, FO: Force, BR: Braver, FI: Fighter, GU: Gunner, TE: Techer)

1. Hunter
Ah, the mighty hunter. Hunters are basically heavy melee fighters. Slow, strong, and wide-ranged/AoE attacks but high defenses and HP. Weapons are: Swords, Spears, and Wired Lances. Can specialize in insanely boosting its melee or ranged Just Attacks (timed attacks) or tanking and survival. Useful subs are: FI, BR, GU, RA, and TE.

As a sub, it can provide quite a strong damage boost with its Fury Stance JA skill tree for both melee and ranged classes. It is a very good sub for: BR, FI, RA, GU, TE. Many people joke as the HU being the "General Sub Class".

2. Ranger
Main offensive support class of the game. Rangers excel at weakening their enemies and striking their weak points. They are really helpful and strong against bosses since they are the slowest and most immobile class. Weapons are: Assault Rifles and Rocket Launchers. They can specialize in hard-hitting immobilize sniping, or mobile CC/AoE setup. Useful subs are: GU (outdated, not as good as it used to), HU, BR, and TE.

As a sub, it can provide increased ranged damage bonus against weak points, when standing still, and lets you use Weak Bullet; increases damage of ALL players against the targeted monster. It is a good sub for: GU (a bit outdated and only useful against certain bosses), BR, HU, and TE.

3. Force
The spellcaster of the game. Has a variable and numerous amount of techniques (spells) that spans all the elements of the game. Including healing, buffing, CC, AoE, support, and single target spells. Needless to say, fragile as glass and bosses can kill you with 0.4 hits. Weapons are: Rods/Staff and Talis/Cards. They can specialize in either Fire, Ice and Lightening elements. Useful subs are: TE, FI, and BR (very limited builds).

It is a very (if not most) limited sub and is only useful to TEs or FI to a certain extent. However, it is useful on lower levels to help in solo play, or if you don't have any other class available for sub.

4. Braver
The hybrid, DEX based/utilizing class. It is a mixture of melee (Katana) or ranged (Bullet Bow). A bit tricky to use, very fast melee strikes and spellcasting-like ranged shots. It has a variability somewhat similar to FOs since it got all sorts of attacks (single target, AoE, CC, DPS, and burst damage) and boasts a high DPS value. They can specialize in Katanas, Bows, or a hybrid mix. Useful subs are: HU and RA. Some people tried pulling out other classes, but HU and RA fit so well with BR's skill tree that its a shame to miss.

It is yet another limited sub, only goes with HU or RA. Some people use it with FI if it was their highest available subclass, but it's still not as great as HU.

5. Fighter
An agile, quick-hitting, CQC class with average defenses. Very hard to master since it relies on dodging/evading; needing the player to know the mob/boss attack patterns and sharpen their reflexes. Otherwise, nice solid fast DPS value, especially against bosses. It can specialize in "situational" damage; increasing damage when attack from front, behind, when low on PP, or when enemies suffering status alignments. Weapons are: Double Sabers, Twin Daggers, and Knuckles. Useful subs are: HU and FO/TE (with a completely different play-style). Some people can nicely use BR, but its not as strong as HU.

As a sub, FI is most useful to HU but also greatly boosts FO/TE spellpower with specific builds. Some people use it for BR and GU as well. Sadly, it's not as strong as HU for those two classes.

6. Gunner
Another agile, rapid-shooting, mid-range/CQC class with great (and stylish) dodging skills. It's all you ever wanted from your typical blockbuster twin-pistol shooting action movie. Easiest class to use, great at solo, longest air-time, and solid DPS. Can specialize in point-blank CQC shooting, single target burst damage, or blink/dodge tanking. Weapons are: Twin Machine Guns and Assault Rifles. Useful subs are HU, RA (outdated, not as good as it used to), TE, and somewhat FI.

As a sub, it used to be quite excellent for RA. Now, it is a good sub for HUs if you want to use Twin Machine Guns and play as a shooting HU. Same applies to FI but with reduced damage compared to HU. Works for TE if you're going shooting TE.

7. Techer
The main defensive support class of the game. A front-line spellcaster, fully loaded with support spells/skills with high melee defense. Can contribute greatly to any party through heals, buffs, CC, a bit of AoE, or a full-offense spellcasting. Weapons are: Wands/Maces, Rods/Staff, and Talis/Cards. They can specialize in Wind, Light, Dark elements. Or go full support without damage bonuses. Going melee with wands is an option as well. Useful subs are FO, FI, HU, RA and GU. I haven't seen anyone subbing BR, but you could say that ALL classes can match it.

As a sub, it is greatly useful for enhancing FOs effectiveness and powers. But if you're making a full-support build, it can do wonders with HU, GU, and RA. Some use it for FI instead of a FO sub, it works but not as popular.

Race/Gender
Does have an effect on stats, but is not that drastic. Unless you're going for perfection. But still, I saw many people with completely opposite race/gender/class mix that did much better than people with matching race/gender/class mix. I'm a newman female FI and my friend is a cast male FO. We did wonders together XD

tl;dr
HU slow melee (sub: FI, BR, RA, GU, TE)
RA stationary ranged (sub: GU, HU, BR, TE)
FO offensive spellcaster (sub: TE, FI)
BR melee/ranged hybrid (sub: HU, RA)
FI fast melee (sub: HU, FO/TE)
GU fast CQC shooting (sub: HU, RA, TE)
TE defensive spellcaster (sub: FO, FI, HU, RA, GU)

GHNeko
May 27, 2014, 12:24 AM
While it's not generally recommended to do so, you can play unorthodox (see: non-mainstream) builds, but it's recommended not to do so without having experience with the game first and doing a fair amount of research into what non-mainstream build you're trying to play, as (unless you're not planning on playing with a bunch of random people) the worst thing to have happen to you and probably to feel is to constantly see yourself fall behind in many fields because you dont have a finely crafted non-mainstream build.

Said builds require a good bit of thought, from top to bottom, in terms of putting it together before you even get to actually do so.

That being said, there is nothing stopping you from doing such a thing and if its what you prefer and find more fun and enjoyable, then go for it.

Just make sure to do a good deal of reading, theorycrafting, and research. Possibly even math so that your friends aren't outclassing you at every turn.

If done correctly, I'll be rewarded with playing something you enjoy playing and being able to see results that don't get on your nerves.

1000Chance
May 27, 2014, 02:50 AM
Oh god, thank you all so much for your input.

I've got a grasps on what we will be playing since we have a total of 4 guys altogether. I'll be playing Force. while Ranger, Hunter and Braver will be split between my friends, heh.

If I'm not asking too much, is there a "Beginner's Guide to Force" or even any other classes so we can pick up tips faster?

Sizustar
May 27, 2014, 02:52 AM
Oh god, thank you all so much for your input.

I've got a grasps on what we will be playing since we have a total of 4 guys altogether. I'll be playing Force. while Ranger, Hunter and Braver will be split between my friends, heh.

If I'm not asking too much, is there a "Beginner's Guide to Force" or even any other classes so we can pick up tips faster?

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Zorua
May 27, 2014, 02:57 AM
7. Techer
The main defensive support class of the game. A front-line spellcaster, fully loaded with support spells/skills with high melee defense. Can contribute greatly to any party through heals, buffs, CC, a bit of AoE, or a full-offense spellcasting. Weapons are: Wands/Maces, Rods/Staff, and Talis/Cards. They can specialize in Wind, Light, Dark elements. Or go full support without damage bonuses. Going melee with wands is an option as well. Useful subs are FO, FI, HU, RA and GU. I haven't seen anyone subbing BR, but you could say that ALL classes can match it.

As a sub, it is greatly useful for enhancing FOs effectiveness and powers. But if you're making a full-support build, it can do wonders with HU, GU, and RA. Some use it for FI instead of a FO sub, it works but not as popular.

I subclass braver on my techer and love it to death. Techer's element weak hit gives you a 20% buff if your technics have a type advantage over their target. Then you get another 20~40% if it's an element that you have mastery for. Braver's weak stance adds another 40% on top of that, and another 10% if it's a charged technique. Weak stance will also be applied if you can hit the target's weakspot, so you don't have to have the type advantage. Then there's average stance for those times that you're feeling lazy, giving a 20% buff for free, and an additional 10% to charged technics.