PDA

View Full Version : Sega need to make pso2 Global

Jazneo
May 28, 2014, 07:39 AM
Why it so hard for them just make a English client for the game and open pay option to Paypal and other country digital bank transfer account. they would be make alot money this way

Chdata
May 28, 2014, 07:42 AM
You know it costs money to set up and host servers, as well as continued advertising and tech dev for a game, right?

Jazneo
May 28, 2014, 07:44 AM
You know it costs money to set up and host servers, as well as continued advertising and tech dev for a game, right?

they dont need make new server they have JP server they just need apply a English client to it and add paypal then they would be making more money hell we all ready give them money with the pso2es app lol

Vampy
May 28, 2014, 07:50 AM
It's not that simple. They need to provide an optimal experience for all players if not the JP will always be on top the rest second best. Ping is an issue other countries laws and customs you can have a glbal server but the server has to abide by every countries laws

Jazneo
May 28, 2014, 08:02 AM
It's not that simple. They need to provide an optimal experience for all players if not the JP will always be on top the rest second best. Ping is an issue other countries laws and customs you can have a glbal server but the server has to abide by every countries laws

no on follow there own countries laws for internet. i think internet should be more open if we keep everyone in the dark that what make more wars happen to me i dont think we should not be fight each other no more. only people fight are the governments not the people

Vintasticvin
May 28, 2014, 08:18 AM
The release of pso2 globally causes world peace!

HIT0SHI
May 28, 2014, 08:24 AM
STOP THE WARS! MAKE PSO2 GLOBAL TO BRING PEACE!
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187hk4ip3vlb2jpg/original.jpg

Jazneo
May 28, 2014, 08:25 AM
let create titans then everyone will have to work together or you get eating by titans

Raymee
May 28, 2014, 09:04 AM
OP is UUA or trolling rofl

landman
May 28, 2014, 09:06 AM
PSO2 JP has only negotiated services and collaborations for the Japanese market, they can not open the game globally without re-negotiating every content that is not 100% Sega, and since they only care about the Japanese market, why should they do that?

Exiled_Gundam
May 28, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hmm but FF can somehow

Ephidiel
May 28, 2014, 09:19 AM
FF has a whole different budget to play with

infiniteeverlasting
May 28, 2014, 09:26 AM
I don't think sega's servers would be able to handle a global player base....
The server already breaks down under the pressure of the jp player base we have right now.

Edit: and how would EQs even work?

Randomness
May 28, 2014, 09:26 AM
PSO2 JP has only negotiated services and collaborations for the Japanese market, they can not open the game globally without re-negotiating every content that is not 100% Sega, and since they only care about the Japanese market, why should they do that?

The borrowed IPs are probably the biggest issue, yes.

There's very minimal lag playing on the JP servers as is, so they wouldn't necessarily need to open stateside ones - if it weren't for IP issues they could literally just turn on the English language option in the client and have at it.

landman
May 28, 2014, 10:21 AM
Hmm but FF can somehow
FF has been made to be available globally since the beginning, so they have added only content that can be licensed in all regions where the game is officially released. That is not the case of PSO2 JP, Sega has only negotiated the collaboration of certain content FOR the Japanese market, or has created a cash system for the Japanese legislation, in any other country, with different legislations, and different distributors (in the case of collaborations) all of this has to be re-negotiated, or simply cut (or replaced) from the game, and that would not be possible in a shared server.

vbetts
May 28, 2014, 11:56 AM
ohai letz maek pso2 glubal lol

SolRiver
May 29, 2014, 01:48 AM
I honestly am surprised at how many people seem to be new to this whole "sega give u the middle finger" thing.

It was around since the 90's.

Someone should create a wiki or guide to warn new generation about sega.

Keilyn
May 29, 2014, 03:55 AM
SEGA is actually doing well as a company.

Weak Points:
~Could never meet global demand for a software title, even when they made consoles.
Ex: When Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 came out in the U.S and Japan, they sold out fast and it took weeks for resupplying.
Ex: All Phantasy Star games released never were kept up with demand.
~Have Fluctuating gains and loses between quarters.
Ex: While they gain in one department, they can lose out in another department. Their record is rocky.
~They had a tendency of pushing too far, too fast and with very little personnel to oversee operations abroad.

Strong Points (why they are doing well)
~They went from being on the verge of dropping to a C-credit rating company to slowly climbing in the last ten years to a A- level rating company.
~They limited their operations based on country and region
Ex: PSO2 can be altered to suit cultural and political means of a nation and handled by developers/publishers in foreign lands (SEA)
~They have learned their own software development weaknesses and have asked for help in development
Ex: Tri-Ace is strong and by letting others work with them, as SEGA has many resources they can provide developers with stronger forces to improve and develop software, and make money from it.
~They have entered more Digital means to sell, advertise and patch software, which saves on costs.
~They are testing a lot heavier, looking more before they leap.

SEGA outlook rating was Stable...

In fact right now there are more stable than SONY in their present condition.

Like, in January...even though the Playstation 4 Sold well, their credit was reduced to Junk Status, causing them a lot of trouble which is bad for beginning a year with a credit reduction.

SEGA has been very careful about Phantasy Star Online 2 actually and slowly integrating and adding stuff.

If I was SEGA, I wouldn't release the game in the U.S unless they could be sure that people will play it. A constant complain in PSU was that players existed in events and the servers were dead in the PC version. In the Xbox game there were players but their updates had new weapons but not the skins that the PSU-JP version had.

If I wanted to be careful and make an American Release of the game, it would have to be made more interesting. Americans simply do not like dungeon crawlers enough to have the game populated for many years outside the main hardcore player base. In fact, the one element they would have to change is the entire idea of paying for player rooms or player shops...

Americans are about individuality
Japanese are about collectives

As soon as an American says "wait a minute...I have to pay money to run a playershop?" they will run to almost any other game out there....and run PSO2 as a secondary or Tertiary Game.

Demand and Response is important...

I will give you all a very wild example......

Back in 1997, Toonami launched. Lots of anime was put in that block and its how many people were able to watch anime outside of Saturday Morning Cartoons or simply buying anime in a time few could afford expensive computers and streaming was at its infancy.

Toonami started to suffer because there were few who watched it. It was popular and eventually the same company that owns cartoon network allowed Williams Street (also ran by Turner Broadcasting System) to make a highly experimental channel called Adult Swim, which shared time with Cartoon Network as a channel that didn't have a lot of edited or stripped content and was very unusual and bizarre. Of course it exists today....

However, the interesting thing was that Anime went through a phase where a lot of programming disappeared and people took to the internet to find, download and pirate anime. At the same time, millions of people wrote to the company. In fact...

I was in Anime Boston, cosplaying there with my fiancee and we were told the impact Toonami and Adult Swim/Cartoon Network had on Anime. Representatives from the networks had said

"We arrived at a point where we were receiving over a hundred thousand letters a day from fans everywhere. We thought we weren't drawing attention, and then we started receiving letters from foreigners in many languages"

There were also voice actors and actresses who told us how the demand affected them. The demand of many anime lovers kept American Voice Acting alive, allowing many to become good enough to also enter into games as well.

The creators of Toonami also spoke about how video game companies actually through toonami met voice actors early on when more talk was on the table about translating games and throwing in voice acting.

What is my point in writing that?

Those who loved anime knew how to do, and what to do. They sent in pictures, notes, messages and whatever to show their love for anime and they kept bombarding the network until they caved in and actually not only relaunched toonami, but improved it from an edited block in the late 90s to an almost unedited block late night on Adult Swim.

Complaining in Forumboards is not the way to get PSO2 launched in the states....

If people truly wish to see a foreign game in the U.S, they should demand it directly through the same form to make an impact. SEGA of Japan would need to know directly how many TRULY wish to play...

Well that is my piece, sorry for the long post.
*hugs*

~Keilyn ^_^

Renvalt
May 29, 2014, 05:57 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]SEGA is actually doing well as a company.

Weak Points:
~Could never meet global demand for a software title, even when they made consoles.
Ex: When Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 came out in the U.S and Japan, they sold out fast and it took weeks for resupplying.
Ex: All Phantasy Star games released never were kept up with demand.
~Have Fluctuating gains and loses between quarters.
Ex: While they gain in one department, they can lose out in another department. Their record is rocky.
~They had a tendency of pushing too far, too fast and with very little personnel to oversee operations abroad.

Strong Points (why they are doing well)
~They went from being on the verge of dropping to a C-credit rating company to slowly climbing in the last ten years to a A- level rating company.
~They limited their operations based on country and region
Ex: PSO2 can be altered to suit cultural and political means of a nation and handled by developers/publishers in foreign lands (SEA)
~They have learned their own software development weaknesses and have asked for help in development
Ex: Tri-Ace is strong and by letting others work with them, as SEGA has many resources they can provide developers with stronger forces to improve and develop software, and make money from it.
~They have entered more Digital means to sell, advertise and patch software, which saves on costs.
~They are testing a lot heavier, looking more before they leap.

SEGA outlook rating was Stable...

In fact right now there are more stable than SONY in their present condition.

Like, in January...even though the Playstation 4 Sold well, their credit was reduced to Junk Status, causing them a lot of trouble which is bad for beginning a year with a credit reduction.

SEGA has been very careful about Phantasy Star Online 2 actually and slowly integrating and adding stuff.

If I was SEGA, I wouldn't release the game in the U.S unless they could be sure that people will play it. A constant complain in PSU was that players existed in events and the servers were dead in the PC version. In the Xbox game there were players but their updates had new weapons but not the skins that the PSU-JP version had.

If I wanted to be careful and make an American Release of the game, it would have to be made more interesting. Americans simply do not like dungeon crawlers enough to have the game populated for many years outside the main hardcore player base. In fact, the one element they would have to change is the entire idea of paying for player rooms or player shops...

Americans are about individuality
Japanese are about collectives

As soon as an American says "wait a minute...I have to pay money to run a playershop?" they will run to almost any other game out there....and run PSO2 as a secondary or Tertiary Game.

Demand and Response is important...

I will give you all a very wild example......

Back in 1997, Toonami launched. Lots of anime was put in that block and its how many people were able to watch anime outside of Saturday Morning Cartoons or simply buying anime in a time few could afford expensive computers and streaming was at its infancy.

Toonami started to suffer because there were few who watched it. It was popular and eventually the same company that owns cartoon network allowed Williams Street (also ran by Turner Broadcasting System) to make a highly experimental channel called Adult Swim, which shared time with Cartoon Network as a channel that didn't have a lot of edited or stripped content and was very unusual and bizarre. Of course it exists today....

However, the interesting thing was that Anime went through a phase where a lot of programming disappeared and people took to the internet to find, download and pirate anime. At the same time, millions of people wrote to the company. In fact...

I was in Anime Boston, cosplaying there with my fiancee and we were told the impact Toonami and Adult Swim/Cartoon Network had on Anime. Representatives from the networks had said

"We arrived at a point where we were receiving over a hundred thousand letters a day from fans everywhere. We thought we weren't drawing attention, and then we started receiving letters from foreigners in many languages"

There were also voice actors and actresses who told us how the demand affected them. The demand of many anime lovers kept American Voice Acting alive, allowing many to become good enough to also enter into games as well.

The creators of Toonami also spoke about how video game companies actually through toonami met voice actors early on when more talk was on the table about translating games and throwing in voice acting.

What is my point in writing that?

Those who loved anime knew how to do, and what to do. They sent in pictures, notes, messages and whatever to show their love for anime and they kept bombarding the network until they caved in and actually not only relaunched toonami, but improved it from an edited block in the late 90s to an almost unedited block late night on Adult Swim.

Complaining in Forumboards is not the way to get PSO2 launched in the states....

If people truly wish to see a foreign game in the U.S, they should demand it directly through the same form to make an impact. SEGA of Japan would need to know directly how many TRULY wish to play...

Well that is my piece, sorry for the long post.
*hugs*

~Keilyn ^_^[/SPOILER-BOX]

Beautifully written. I also didn't know that part about anime - very informative.

I think that as of now, there is no serious "Bring PSO2 to the West" movement going on. It's very shallow, if not non-existent.

But E3 2014 is coming up very soon. If they don't bring forth word then, we should assume they have cancelled the release.

Naturally, people will be pissed - they have a right to be, after all. But in the end, they never really had a serious movement to call for it, so they can't say there was demand because they never worked for it.

Although just one thing... that scenario reeks heavily of the stench of what happened with Megaman Legends 3. Difference being that PSO2 is live and well, whereas MML3 was never really born to begin with.

EDIT: @Ephidiel - FF14 had a disastrous launch during its first version - Yoshida took a huge gamble changing the game into a WoW clone. The one thing he gets right is that he knows where to draw the line when it comes to listening and reaching out to his customers (not to mention the fact that he interacts with them at such a level not seen from any other WoW clone that I know of).

FF14:ARR is an example of what was done right, but the point here is that it took them taking a huge fall via their arrogance to realize their mistakes. I doubt their fans will be so lenient again.

wefwq
May 29, 2014, 06:14 AM
Hmm but FF can somehow
How does FF compare to PS anyway.

FF has very wide fanbase across the world, while PS are pretty niche.

Gamemako
May 29, 2014, 08:04 AM
Hmm but FF can somehow

So, FFXIV is a P2P MMO that does collaborations only with its own properties. It does not sell adspace to anyone or make money based on the popularity of its crossovers. It has an established international brand with instant name recognition as well as an MMO predecessor that is still running. It is also not an action game. Long story short, both FFXIV's design and brand make it vastly easier to bring to an international audience. 1.0 was offered as an international product, and though it flopped horribly and deservedly, it would also have been pretty hard for Square-Enix to take the new version of the game away international customers.

Back on topic: In order to run PSO2 for a western audience and make money, they would need to:

1. Localize everything (not just translate)
2. Subset of 1: Record all new VA -- customers are rather unforgiving about foreign language VA
3. Acquire new bids for advertisements, since Japanese ads are irrelevant
4. Create a bundle of new content to suit the tastes of the consumers, so that they pay for the material in question (most NA players do not care about Japanese collabs)
5. Due to 3 and 4 above, they would need new server cluster as well, even if it's in the same datacenter. It wouldn't make much sense to do that, so they'd rather set up a server in the correct region of the world.
Quick note: ongoing core content development is a sunk cost, so you don't include that.

All of this is pretty considerable development and administrative cost. What most people assumed happened to PSO2 is that SEGA put it out for localization bids, and nobody wanted to touch it.

Renvalt
May 29, 2014, 11:31 AM
How does FF compare to PS anyway.

FF has very wide fanbase across the world, while PS are pretty niche.

That might be true, but the FF13 trilogy along with the FF14 1.0 flop kinda ruined Square's rep - so much so that Tanaka, the original director of FF14, had to resign, and Wada went on record as saying "We've damaged the FF brand".

Bravely Default's success showed Square that "People still like JRPGs, contrary to what we thought otherwise", whereas Yoshida's FF14 reboot managed to not only restore brand faith, but it helped revitalize the franchise.

Though I will agree with you on the PS series - even in PSO1, all they could really ride on was SEGA nostalgia for everything they made. Now with PSU being their black horse and PSO2 being JP Only, they really have this one shot to revitalize the franchise.

Because if SquareEnix is any indication, Sonic alone will not carry SEGA to glory globally. Same with Konami riding off the entrails of Metal Gear's success (especially after Igarashi left - the reboot CV is terrible).

If I were SEGA, I'd be worried about my global presence. But I'm not SEGA, and SEGA isn't worried about their global presence. So.... yeah.

LordKaiser
May 29, 2014, 11:40 AM
So, FFXIV is a P2P MMO that does collaborations only with its own properties. It does not sell adspace to anyone or make money based on the popularity of its crossovers. It has an established international brand with instant name recognition as well as an MMO predecessor that is still running. It is also not an action game. Long story short, both FFXIV's design and brand make it vastly easier to bring to an international audience. 1.0 was offered as an international product, and though it flopped horribly and deservedly, it would also have been pretty hard for Square-Enix to take the new version of the game away international customers.

Back on topic: In order to run PSO2 for a western audience and make money, they would need to:

1. Localize everything (not just translate)
2. Subset of 1: Record all new VA -- customers are rather unforgiving about foreign language VA
3. Acquire new bids for advertisements, since Japanese ads are irrelevant
4. Create a bundle of new content to suit the tastes of the consumers, so that they pay for the material in question (most NA players do not care about Japanese collabs)
5. Due to 3 and 4 above, they would need new server cluster as well, even if it's in the same datacenter. It wouldn't make much sense to do that, so they'd rather set up a server in the correct region of the world.
Quick note: ongoing core content development is a sunk cost, so you don't include that.

All of this is pretty considerable development and administrative cost. What most people assumed happened to PSO2 is that SEGA put it out for localization bids, and nobody wanted to touch it. Abouth #4 The people who would like this game are people who likes anime, JRPGs and Japanese stuff so westernization is not needed. People who play WRPGs or dudebroyish games would unlikely play this,

landman
May 29, 2014, 11:42 AM
Abouth #4 The people who would like this game are people who likes anime, JRPGs and Japanese stuff so westernization is not needed. People who play WRPGs or dudebroyish games would unlikely play this,
Not every one of them, many people who liked PSO don't like the anime direction it took since PSU, and some of them are willing to play PSO2 even only because of male CAST.

Renvalt
May 29, 2014, 11:46 AM
Not every one of them, many people who liked PSO don't like the anime direction it took since PSU, and some of them are willing to play PSO2 even only because of male CAST.

Except those guys would be turned off when they find the game has changed drastically compared to the old PSO1. When they find out that CASTs can use Techs, they'll flip and quit. Trust me.

Not to mention the rage they'll feel once they see how similar it is to MonHan and Vindi. I doubt they want more of the same old same old in that respect.

landman
May 29, 2014, 02:26 PM
Most of the ones I know, played the beta or launch release and liked it, and are waiting for a proper release.

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 02:39 PM
The japanese version is a proper release.

Z-0
May 29, 2014, 02:43 PM
I wonder about that sometimes, though.

tt3_get_on_ts
May 29, 2014, 02:48 PM
I wonder about that sometimes, though.
what's there to wonder, the game is out and being supported. just because the product is unfinished or not of premium quality means nothing. it was released.

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 02:49 PM
Considering how little content and how many technical issues this game has, I'd feel the same

reaper527
May 29, 2014, 03:15 PM
Considering how little content and how many technical issues this game has, I'd feel the same

since when did the game have little content? it gets bi-weekly updates, typically with a major update every month or two.

there's plenty of stuff on my wishlist (i'd love to see potentials added to units, giving them functionality akin to the old pso1 slots such as cure/freeze, god/battle, etc.), but it's just not accurate to say the game has little content.

Z-0
May 29, 2014, 03:46 PM
It's very accurate.

Everything is a rehash of something else, the random maps make the game have very little varied content, and anything unique is locked behind Emergency Quests.

After a point, every player just does TACOs and then AFKs for the next good EQ.

Renvalt
May 29, 2014, 05:17 PM
It's very accurate.

Everything is a rehash of something else, the random maps make the game have very little varied content, and anything unique is locked behind Emergency Quests.

After a point, every player just does TACOs and then AFKs for the next good EQ.

Would you mind telling me exactly what unique things are hidden behind Emergency Quests?

Way I see it, the only things truly unique are Tower Defense, the Falzes, two fields and one boss to a pre-existing field.

Beyond that, I'm pulling up nothing that you'd use for a complaint about "lack of content".

blace
May 29, 2014, 05:31 PM
Would you mind telling me exactly what unique things are hidden behind Emergency Quests?

Way I see it, the only things truly unique are Tower Defense, the Falzes, two fields and one boss to a pre-existing field.

Beyond that, I'm pulling up nothing that you'd use for a complaint about "lack of content".

Anything that isn't barred behind the EQ wall.

The actual game content is repeating the same missions since Forest and fighting reskins of a lot of the normal enemies and hunting reskinned or recolored weapons and units. And clothes, the amount of updates to add in more costumes and accessories shouldn't make up the bulk of these bi-weekly updates.

Renvalt
May 29, 2014, 05:41 PM
Anything that isn't barred behind the EQ wall.

The actual game content is repeating the same missions since Forest and fighting reskins of a lot of the normal enemies and hunting reskinned or recolored weapons and units. And clothes, the amount of updates to add in more costumes and accessories shouldn't make up the bulk of these bi-weekly updates.

Wait a damned minute. Have you actually logged in recently? You can't honestly say these things with only Beta experience, now can you?

I mean, what else do you want them to do? Remake PSO1 with PSO2's systems and package it behind a Buy to Play wall?

I'm just confused by why you think most of those "uniques" are barred behind the EQ wall. Since some of those EQs are effectively rehashes of older missions.

As I said earlier, the only "unique" EQs I'd say fit that label are Tower Defense, Falz Elder/Luther, Urban Crisis and Darker Den. Atm Mothership is Story only, and the EQ version we're getting on the next update has an environmental atmosphere backed up by the story.

So tell me... what exactly is locked behind the "EQ Wall" that is unique, other than what I've mentioned earlier?

blace
May 29, 2014, 05:45 PM
Wait a damned minute. Have you actually logged in recently? You can't honestly say these things with only Beta experience, now can you?

I mean, what else do you want them to do? Remake PSO1 with PSO2's systems and package it behind a Buy to Play wall?

I'm just confused by why you think most of those "uniques" are barred behind the EQ wall. Since some of those EQs are effectively rehashes of older missions.

As I said earlier, the only "unique" EQs I'd say fit that label are Tower Defense, Falz Elder/Luther, Urban Crisis and Darker Den. Atm Mothership is Story only, and the EQ version we're getting on the next update has an environmental atmosphere backed up by the story.

So tell me... what exactly is locked behind the "EQ Wall" that is unique, other than what I've mentioned earlier?

Just the ones that you mentioned.

I've lost all interest in the game but I do log in to check content and it's not exactly deviating from what's already there.

Macman
May 29, 2014, 05:49 PM
How can you not realize that almost every new area they add has the exact same mission lineup as everything before it?

Get quest points in a single area
Get to area 3 and clear EC that will show up in any future mission of the area
Get to area 3 and kill sub-boss
Free Field

As far as reskins, though, the only real offender on that is the floating continent. While a lot of animations on enemies are shared between areas, they often bring new attack patterns to vary things up.

Jazneo
May 29, 2014, 05:50 PM
http://youtu.be/5LNIkmPi6VQ

Remember the old days when Sega said the game would be connect to the whole world

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 05:52 PM
How can you not realize that almost every new area they add has the exact same mission lineup as everything before it?

Get quest points in a single area
Get to area 3 and clear EC that will show up in any future mission of the area
Get to area 3 and kill sub-boss
Free Field

As far as reskins, though, the only real offender on that is the floating continent. While a lot of animations on enemies are shared between enemies, they often bring new attack patterns to vary things up.

The whole player base got fooled with "AQ's", too. Twice. It's basically the same thing as regular quests with more enemies. Probably the way the regular quests should have been to begin with.

reptile7383
May 29, 2014, 05:59 PM

Yet private servers for PSO BB still exists.:-?

Macman
May 29, 2014, 06:06 PM
Yet private servers for PSO BB still exists.:-?
Which run on selling items donations.

The whole player base got fooled with "AQ's", too. Twice. It's basically the same thing as regular quests with more enemies. Probably the way the regular quests should have been to begin with.
At least AQs feel somewhat fulfilling in that you can clear the map and there's good reason to clear the map (capsules, stones, finding good spawns you may want or hell maybe even a rewarding EC).
Not too terrible for what was originally a stopgap between difficulty releases, but yes I feel it's a step in the direction that regular quests should have gone in the first place.

Some quests with actual NPC interaction outside of random rescue ECs and bullshit excuse of a cake shop would give them more character, too.

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 06:13 PM

At least AQs feel somewhat fulfilling in that you can clear the map and there's good reason to clear the map (capsules, stones, finding good spawns you may want or hell maybe even a rewarding EC).
Not too terrible for what was originally a stopgap between difficulty releases, but yes I feel it's a step in the direction that regular quests should have gone in the first place.

Some quests with actual NPC interaction outside of random rescue ECs and bullshit excuse of a cake shop would give them more character, too.

You realize that requiring capsules to play aq is just a cheap way to artifically extend the time we waste on this game? The capsules are merely a barrier so people can't spam w/e quest they need for a certain item. The good drops, stones etc should have been in the regular "free exploration"

Macman
May 29, 2014, 06:48 PM
The good drops, stones etc should have been in the regular "free exploration"
I just said that.

You realize that requiring capsules to play aq is just a cheap way to artifically extend the time we waste on this game? The capsules are merely a barrier so people can't spam w/e quest they need for a certain item.
XQs do that to an even worse degree.
Capsules are a non-issue unless you're either just starting out, or doing suicidal runs where you just rush to the boss.

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 06:57 PM
I do full aq runs. I've had it happen that I had to rebuy 1-2 capsules. I'm not the only one who had to do that either. Even if you are lucky enough and get always enough capsules, you'll still have to cycle so you can run the one aq you need for an item, which is very time consuming.

Macman
May 29, 2014, 06:58 PM
I don't mind the cycle since I find running the same area 20 times in a row incredibly soul draining. I guess it's just a difference of preference, here.

Alukard
May 29, 2014, 07:07 PM
I'm not talking about preferences, I'm well aware that there are people that like to cycle. I'm talking about how everyone is forced to cycle, whether he likes it or not.

Skize
May 29, 2014, 07:20 PM
I do full aq runs. I've had it happen that I had to rebuy 1-2 capsules. I'm not the only one who had to do that either. Even if you are lucky enough and get always enough capsules, you'll still have to cycle so you can run the one aq you need for an item, which is very time consuming.

The thing is, I personally hate to cycle, but I understand it as a time sink. The problem is I can't find people to actually do SHAQ with to actually cycle. It's not easy to try to get a crossburst with 3 braindead AIs. It's easy as heck to start cycling with 3 other human players though.

Gamemako
May 29, 2014, 08:38 PM
Abouth #4 The people who would like this game are people who likes anime, JRPGs and Japanese stuff so westernization is not needed. People who play WRPGs or dudebroyish games would unlikely play this,

You have been spending too much time attached to the narrow anime subculture. That small group -- like this small community here -- will not sustain a game. I, and many gamers like me, detest Japanese cartoons. Yet I still grew up on Japanese video games and tolerate the stuff in the many games I play (e.g. Ys series). That does not mean I would willingly ever pay for it. Unless you can break out of the tiny Japanophile subculture, you're not going to make a successful Western release.

infiniteeverlasting
May 29, 2014, 08:42 PM
You have been spending too much time attached to the narrow anime subculture. That small group -- like this small community here -- will not sustain a game. I, and many gamers like me, detest Japanese cartoons. Yet I still grew up on Japanese video games and tolerate the stuff in the many games I play (e.g. Ys series). That does not mean I would willingly ever pay for it. Unless you can break out of the tiny Japanophile subculture, you're not going to make a successful Western release.

lol the anime subculture isn't small...
to the point where there are way too many comicons dedicated to anime happening all at once everywhere in america. I wonder why Toonami was something that even existed.

Gamemako
May 29, 2014, 09:46 PM
lol the anime subculture isn't small...
to the point where there are way too many comicons dedicated to anime happening all at once everywhere in america. I wonder why Toonami was something that even existed.

The conferences are crossed with other media, and there are no cable television channels dedicated to anime or even featuring it more than ~3 hours per day. There is more airtime dedicated to watching people fish. Adult Swim, which is really just Cartoon Network with a separate rating pool, runs pretty much all of the stuff that reaches U.S. households. The market for video games in the U.S. is 10-20 times larger depending on data -- the anime market is to the tune of 1.5-2bn where video games are in the U.S. is 20-25bn.

I played FFXIV with a 55-year-old U.S. Navy vet, a young male comedian, a retired man and his wife, a semi-professional poker player, and all sorts of other people. They all got together and played a game with big eyes, childlike faces, and catgirls, but they wouldn't pay for anime crossovers. MMOs attract all sorts of people.

Keilyn
May 29, 2014, 10:09 PM
The magic behind anime was that at one point channels stopped airing anime in favor for american cartoons. Even so, the popularity did not die out. In fact it got stronger. If you were to visit any website out there to past conventions, you will find the number attending actually has been increasing over the years steadily.

I made my cosplay debut at Anime Boston this year doing couples cosplay with my fiancee. I did two costumes.

Anime is popular that people are willing to fly to a city, book a hotel room and bring their costumes while buying tickets for food, transportation and to enter the convention for a weekend of panels, cosplay and fun!

Anime Boston was $60 for all three days this year and there were so many cool things about it. My personal favorite was everyone being referred to by character name. As a joke I had an inflatable oversized Tommy Gun that was a hit there with one of the characters I was cosplaying. It was actually peacebonded which added to the laughter.

Anime will always be cross-media because the conventions are great at doing that. Anime itself spans video games, radio drama broadcasts, manga, television anime series, film OVAs and Movies along with Cosplays and books.

Here is an example:

Anyone ever play dot hack? The order of dot hack is as follows:

Two Novels. The first outlines the formation and creation of "The World" and the second called A.I buster takes place before Hack//Sign.

Hack//Sign (The Anime) - half the story. The story dealing with Tsukasa and others..
The Four PS2 Hack Games (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine) which continue the story.
Hack//Unison - Taking place after the game. Both cast of characters are unified in an anime episode that brings that story to a close.

In this first story there are manga, anime series, novels, and video games!

Also, I find stories going through a lot of media being good for people. Allows them to learn and get a handle for each media, and it just is plain cool when artists and developers collaborate and bring a story to life through different mediums.

Best part was that they did it twice, with Hack//Roots and Hack/GU vol 1 - 3, and even an anime episode that took place after the story.

Most anime starts as Manga and in popularity becomes an anime series.

@Gamemako

I hear ya. Sure, I've a cosplayer, and I know the history of cartoon network, adult swim and toonami, but yes you are right. MMORPGs bring people from all over the world, not everyone is interested in anime and they have their lives. I play MMOs for the purpose of chatting with people from all over the world. Its interesting to have that buffer and while I like face to face meetings, its nice how emotions come out through non-verbal communication.

We can see tastes and attitude simply from character looks and class selection.

It would be nice if people did recognize that as much as I love anime, that being into anime is not a requirement needed to play a game.

Oh yeah, and newmans are my favorite race of all time in any series. ^_^

@infinite

Yeah, anime is growing and its amazing how fragile it is and what one goes through to maintain anime where it is. The fact that Japan is its source and people go bonkers to go all out in conventions just shows how much dedication and fanatical following anime has generated in the last ten years.

Its funny, I love the anime-look to Phantasy Star, because its actually an original look. I am not about "top graphics" as much as I like "original graphics" which identify a style set unique to a universe or story. ^_^

reptile7383
May 29, 2014, 10:13 PM

Exactly. Mere donations can keep servers up. That's my point. "It costs money to run servers" isn't that good of an excuse for Sega to not bring the game over.

infiniteeverlasting
May 29, 2014, 10:19 PM
The conferences are crossed with other media, and there are no cable television channels dedicated to anime or even featuring it more than ~3 hours per day. There is more airtime dedicated to watching people fish. Adult Swim, which is really just Cartoon Network with a separate rating pool, runs pretty much all of the stuff that reaches U.S. households. The market for video games in the U.S. is 10-20 times larger depending on data -- the anime market is to the tune of 1.5-2bn where video games are in the U.S. is 20-25bn.

I played FFXIV with a 55-year-old U.S. Navy vet, a young male comedian, a retired man and his wife, a semi-professional poker player, and all sorts of other people. They all got together and played a game with big eyes, childlike faces, and catgirls, but they wouldn't pay for anime crossovers. MMOs attract all sorts of people.

toonami died out because everyone started to watch anime on the computer. I doubt anyone watches TV shows on teh TV anymore either, except for maybe live airings etc. Anime is in no way not getting more and more popular.

Maybe i'm a bit biased because i live in a neighborhood where 70% of the population is either Asian or indian (south Asian) so what i can only see is anime everywhere.
I am also the club leader to the manga art club in my school so i am, of course a devoted fan.

I know a lot of people detest "weaboos" but in the end i feel like its just there biased hate over something that they can't understand. Thats why i still try to keep up with the american mainstream no matter how hard it is to watch (jersey shore i'm looking at you). Just like there is good american TV shows (game of thrones, etc.) there are also good anime fit for mature audiences (no matter how hard it is to believe, yes there are).

Sizustar
May 29, 2014, 10:33 PM
Exactly. Mere donations can keep servers up. That's my point. "It costs money to run servers" isn't that good of an excuse for Sega to not bring the game over.

Not really, Private server vs. Corporation run server are different.

Lostbob117
May 29, 2014, 11:09 PM
Jazneo need to work on English

infiniteeverlasting
May 29, 2014, 11:26 PM
Jazneo need to work on English

Don't pick on him for that, he's probably not from a big English speaking country, as long as he's understandable it's fine.