PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: PA Combo System OwO

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 09:27 AM
With all the buzz about Shunka being nerf followed by S-Roll arts, I ask myself, is there anyway to balance the PA other than nerf/buff some damage values? Sega did a decent job with Tech crafting but you can't really apply that to PA as there are only a few parameters you can adjust, limited to damage,execution, and PP cost.

And the thing is, once the favored PA, what I call 'Flavor of the Month' is nerfed then another just switch it's place making the whole cycle repeat itself. People just using the most cost effective damaging PA while leaving the rest untouched.

So this is why I thought about PA Combo System. At first, Sega planned this 'PA Combo thingy' the one where you cycle thru three PA that you set on your weapon to create a combo, but since most people just spam one PA anyway, they found it tedious and would just put three of the same PA anyway defeating the purpose.

So what I did is this, but before that, let's classify the skills into different categories:

Knockback: PA that can knockback enemy away from you.
Ex. Nova Strike, Backhand Smash, Slide Shaker.

Gap Closer: PA that can dash to the target.
Ex. Guilty Break, Parallel Slider, Straight Charge.

Grabbing: PA that grabs the enemy and throws them.
Ex. Cruel Throw, Scar Fugue, Pick Up Throw.

Launching: PA that launch enemies in the air.
Ex. Rising Edge, Satellite Aim, Tsukimi Sazanka.

Dunking: PA that usable from air and slams the enemy on the ground.
Ex. Gekka Zakuro, Quake Howling, Twister Fall.

Ranged: PA that does ranged damage, limited to melee PA.
Ex. Sonic Arrow, Sacred Skewer, Hatou Rindo.

So the idea here is, some categories gains 10% more power if it's used after a certain category PA is used.

For example:

Knockback-->Gap Closer--Grabbing

Launching-->Dunking-->Knockback

Gap Closer-->Knockback-->Ranged

So using example two, and being a Sword Hunter.
Rising Edge-->Twister Fall (10% bonus)-->Nova Strike (20%)

And if you notice, it's the combo that the Hunter uses in the class select screen, so Sega might have planned this at some point, just didn't execute properly.

And it stacks with another modifier, every time you used a different PA you get 5% increase in damage on the next one. Making it 100-->115-->125

And...stacks with yet another modifier, using PA from another weapon class. 5% bonus too.

Rising Edge-->Twister Fall(15%)-->Additional Bullet(135%)

And you can actually link combo more than three times:
Launching-->Dunking-->Knockback-->Gap Closer--Grabbing-->Ranged

Which would theoretically put your damage to insane amounts but the sheer set up time would probably balance it all out.

All in all, I think this system would encourage building up unique combo and utilizing all available PA.

What you think? OwO

SilenWhisper
May 30, 2014, 10:10 AM
Denied.

Kilich
May 30, 2014, 10:13 AM
I'd like it. But if people find it tedious to do a normal attack, or two to skip, they'll find it tedious as well.

And will probably complain that this system "forces them to use a single playstyle, instead of having their freedom of not being penalized for doing things their way", also known as "I can't spam my single most efficient PA to shave off some time in my TA\EM runs? Segac is to blame."

Skye-Fox713
May 30, 2014, 10:16 AM
Interesting Idea, it would be nice way to get some interesting combos like many people had before there was enough gear to where min/max was the best way to do things.

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 10:41 AM
This system doesn't change the old method of just spamming shunka if that is what you want and prefer boring play style. This system is designed to augment and make players who likes to mix and match different PA to be on par with people who just spams one PA.

So actually the system gives you choices. And will probably separate good players from bad ones.

Rien
May 30, 2014, 10:43 AM
Please forward this to SEGA

They'll probably think it's a good idea.

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 10:45 AM
Well if someone can translate it to Japanese and post it to their forums TwT

Sizustar
May 30, 2014, 10:46 AM
There's already alot of demand for a PA crafting system even among the Japanese community.
So it's already possible that this might be the next "evolution" of th e crafting system they've been talking about.

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 10:50 AM
PA is not as varied as Tech so even if they implement PA crafting, there isn't much to change.

I am still thinking of how making the category cycle upon itself (like a fire->water->grass->fire) thingy so a player can start at any point to get the bonus.

Also thinking of adding Stunning, Burst Damage, Multi-Hit in the category.

Punisher106
May 30, 2014, 10:54 AM
Interesting idea, but you need to know that one full combo will COMPLETELY drain someone's PP meter, even from full. They need to make it exponentially shorter if you're using appropriate combos.

GoldenFalcon
May 30, 2014, 11:08 AM
And...stacks with yet another modifier, using PA from another weapon class.

Won't work

If you want a real system, wait for PA crafting. They could easily have something like "Twister Fall does 30-50% more damage when executed after Rising Edge" or "Sonic Aero does 10-15% more damage when executed after Sonic Aero"

who knows

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 11:14 AM
Then we are falling back on the same cycle again, people just using Rising Edge->Twister->Nova.

I made the categories so people can pick from various PA to combo with.

And using PA from another class can work, I seen that combo video somewhere where the player juggles the enemies using different weapon and PA. It looks very solid.

GoldenFalcon
May 30, 2014, 11:18 AM
And using PA from another class can work, I seen that combo video somewhere where the player juggles the enemies using different weapon and PA. It looks very solid.

Well, not with JA

Gardios
May 30, 2014, 11:30 AM
Ditch JA multiplier, ditch Fury Combo, innately make consecutive JAs stronger up to a limit. No increase if you use the same PA in a row. Reset/considerably reduce bonus when JAing a normal attack after a PA.

Only problem is that ranged classes have an easier time getting higher bonuses because they don't have to dodge as often (and therefore drop the bonus), but you could give ranged classes a smaller consecutive bonus/limit to compensate.

Then again, this wouldn't change anything because people one-hit normal piņatas anyway.

MimiChan
May 30, 2014, 11:42 AM
Well need to add another JS then, Just Skill o.oa
It has 2 second window time. I mean it could stack with JA but that means top notch timing and reaction.