PDA

View Full Version : I had a thought about PSI

BIG OLAF
Jun 11, 2014, 10:28 PM
The question I'll posit is simple-

If Nero Landale would have never been murdered, would any of the other Phantasy Star events ever happened? Alis would have never taken up the blade against Lassic (and Dark Falz) if not for her brother being killed.

Was just an interesting, thought-provoking tidbit that flew into my head today at work.

Kenbog
Jun 12, 2014, 05:41 AM
Nero was rebelling against Lassic so if he never got killed he most likely takes the place of Alis in the story.

BIG OLAF
Jun 12, 2014, 11:16 PM
But that's not really what I was asking.

I was asking if the events of any other Phantasy Star game would have ever unfolded like they do if Nero hadn't died and caused Alis to go along the path set out for her in the game and fight.

It seems that you're assuming that I'm asking "what if Nero was the main character in PSI?", but I'm not asking that at all.

Kenbog
Jun 13, 2014, 07:09 PM
But that's not really what I was asking.

I was asking if the events of any other Phantasy Star game would have ever unfolded like they do if Nero hadn't died and caused Alis to go along the path set out for her in the game and fight.

It seems that you're assuming that I'm asking "what if Nero was the main character in PSI?", but I'm not asking that at all.

Not what I was thinking tho.
What I was saying that the actions of Alis are not the relevant to the outcome, someone could easily take her place, like Nero was already doing and got him killed by that. Lutz is pretty much the main link in the quadrilogy.
As long Dark Falz gets defeated and Alis sits on that throne the series moves on...
If not Dark Falz breaks the 3 seals and unleash the Profound Darkness in the world and everyone dies.
(Btw. Nero's last name is not Landale, Alis is adopted by the parents of Nero)

Bragatyr
Jun 13, 2014, 11:04 PM
I do think, just from a meta-game perspective, that Alis is really essential to the development of the series, I mean, if Phantasy Star had featured some generic male character, I don't think it would have made as big of an impact.

BIG OLAF
Jun 13, 2014, 11:53 PM
I do think, just from a meta-game perspective, that Alis is really essential to the development of the series, I mean, if Phantasy Star had featured some generic male character, I don't think it would have made as big of an impact.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Alis and Nero were obviously different people, and, ergo, would have handled the situations differently. Who's to say everything would have happened the way it did if Alis hadn't been the main character?

All I'm positing is that the entire Phantasy Star series would have probably played out differently, or just plain ol' not existed, have Alis not had done what she did.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 15, 2014, 01:28 PM
It creates an interesting what if scenario for certain. I'd like to take it a step further. Let's assume Nero never joined the resistance.

(Please forgive me if this doesn't follow everything that should make sense, it's been over a year since i looked at the original timeline and I'm doing this based on what I remember.)

Things that change:

Alis and Nero live out their lives in servitude of Lassic.
Odin remains a statue for a very long time/forever.
Myau is eventually sold but their owners don't care to rescue Odin. (Let's assume a 5-6 year old got it as a present.)
Noah probably would have done something on his own but without allies by his side would have failed.

Head Cannon:

Let's assume for a moment that Dark Falz does not break the seal within 1000 years to release Profound Darkness. This could be likely as at the time Garia as far as we know didn't exist yet since space travel was restricted. What do we have sometime before Phantasy Star II would play out? Lassic & Dark Falz Vs. Earthmen possibly. I don't know if the Earthmen would have stuck around after being attacked but if they did it would be all out war, maybe with Algol not having enough war ships to win the space battle but they would certainly hold on the ground war with Dark Falz's help. Eventually the seal breaks and everything including the Earthmen are lost.

If it does break the seal, where does that leave the Earthmen? I would assume they'd still be looking for a planet as Algol would no longer exist with the seal broken. (The planets themselves are the seal if my memory serves me correctly.)

Let's take it from another angle. Dark Falz begins to break the seal before the Earthmen ever arrive and no one stands up to fight. There is still possibly hope. There are 4 members from The Great Light still within Algol, Le-Roof, Sa-Lews, De-Vars, and Re-Faze. At some point they would likely try to intervene. Although from a strategy standpoint I would expect one of them would likely take off from and try to get in contact with it's main body The Great Light to warn it of the situation. We could get a game out of the remaining three finding and taking over the strongest remaining resistance warriors in Algol as vessels to fight back against Dark Force and trying to hold out for as long as possible in the bleak hope that The Great Light returns.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 16, 2014, 12:39 AM
It's worth considering, that the Earthmen may not have even arrived, if Lassic hadn't been defeated.

Presumably, Lassic's continued reign could mean that the colony ships seen in Phantasy Star III are never constructed, while one of Phantasy Star III's endings suggest that those colony ships are what brought Dark Force to the Earthmen to begin with. One of the endings has the Alissa III arriving in orbit around Earth in 1991, long before the Earthmen destroyed their world; presumably, the destruction of Earth was a product of Dark Force's influence.

Would the escape ships have even been constructed, if Lassic still reigned?

Zorafim
Jul 6, 2014, 07:55 PM
I don't think anything would be different. All that matters in the end is that Dark Force was killed. If he wasn't, the solar system would have been destroyed. If he was, then he would come again in PSII.
With Darky killed, the mind control over Lassic would be broken, and he would have gone back to being a decent enough guy. The difference in leadership between him and Alis would be negligible over a thousand year period, along with the difference in leadership of anyone really. Then the events of PSII would occur, with very little change.

Beyond that, any link between the original series and the others is non-cannon. So PSO would have happened like normal.

landman
Jul 9, 2014, 07:09 PM
Since the classic series has multiple time-lines, that could have perfectly happened in another one of them :wacko:

Chidori
Jul 23, 2014, 11:02 PM
Ah i never got the chance to play the classic pso :(, sounds very interesting tho ^^

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 24, 2014, 10:20 PM
There's always the private servers for PSO Chidori. :)

Crazyleo
Jul 24, 2014, 11:37 PM
There's always the private servers for PSO Chidori. :)

I think what Chidori meant was the original PS titles on the SMS/Genesis days.

Chidori
Jul 26, 2014, 08:15 AM
yeah the super old ones ^^

Crazyleo
Jul 26, 2014, 10:00 AM
Well, you could always d/l an emulator and the roms of these games quite easily.

Chidori
Jul 29, 2014, 10:19 AM
ah ok ^^

Zorafim
Aug 1, 2014, 09:42 AM
If playing PSI, use maps and walkthroughs.
If playing PSII, use maps and savestates.
If playing PSIV, enjoy!
If playing PSIII, God help your soul.

landman
Aug 2, 2014, 02:53 AM
If playing PSI, use maps and walkthroughs.
If playing PSII, use maps and savestates.
If playing PSIV, enjoy! don't reach lvl 99! (unless you are playing the fixed PS2 collection)
If playing PSIII, God help your soul.
Fixed!

Crazyleo
Aug 2, 2014, 03:19 AM
There is a hack for PSIV that fixed that bug.

Zorafim
Aug 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
I don't see why it matters. Your final team is strong enough, so long as you have Raja with you.
Megid spam ho!

Atbar
Aug 21, 2014, 06:11 PM
Well, you could always d/l an emulator and the roms of these games quite easily.

If that floats your boat anyway. It doesn't float mine but I won't let your opinion become mine. It's okay. Everything is going to be all right.