PDA

View Full Version : Religious Etymology in Falz Luther?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 12, 2014, 02:36 PM
One of my team mates, Naroji, sent a mail to everyone on AshramAstarcia's (known on these forums as Renvalt (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=73920)) views about Luther, as seen in the comment section of the youtube video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-y-No93OTE)+^_^+

There's another etymological reference in the use of Luther>Loser/Angel.

Lucifer is sometimes depicted as a six-winged angel in his pre-fallen angel incarnation. When he fought against the armies of heaven to conquer them, he lost and was condemned to eternity in the pits of hell.

Falz Angel could then be read as "False Angel". The Oracle that he took over then becomes "Falz Oracle" - read it as "False Oracle" and you get "False Prophet".

this is of course if you want to count Luther as being another name for Lucifer...

considering this, PSO2 seems to be a bit more "christian" then past PS titles in that regard and i was wondering what everyone else thought? +^_^+

Chdata
Jun 12, 2014, 02:38 PM
Not to mention the translations of what he's saying in the fight are all about his forseen prophecies and how he gained omniscience.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jun 12, 2014, 10:52 PM
this isn't the first game to substitute the name Lucifer with Luther star ocean til the end of time did it also
another thing your missing is Apostie is short for Apostiles which again is another religious term

so yea this Falz is definitly based around the christian religion but in a phantasy star way
i have no problem with them basing it off anything after all the Dark Falz is basically a god a terrible one at that but then again most videogame gods are all powerful in scenes and pathetic in the actual boss fight against them

GoldenFalcon
Jun 13, 2014, 02:42 AM
Falz -> False just looks like a tryhard attempt to sound profound

not buying it

Daiyousei
Jun 13, 2014, 02:46 AM
Falz -> False just looks like a tryhard attempt to sound profound

not buying it

Not to mention the mentions of Dark Force in previous installments of the series.

Jungo Torii
Jun 13, 2014, 02:56 AM
Religious parallels occur quite a bit in games in general.

That said, not really sure the devs had much of that in mind here. Maybe you could say that Luther 'falls' much like Lucifer, but not much beyond that.

Scale of Judgment
Jun 13, 2014, 04:33 AM
Actually a lot of video games have used some sort of mythology and history to make them a bit more meaningful. There aren't any games that DOESN'T use human history as a source of inspiration for their designs.

TehCubey
Jun 13, 2014, 04:47 AM
References to judeo-christian mythology are not a new thing for jRPGs since Final Fantasy VII, if not longer. I can totally buy it.

Maenara
Jun 13, 2014, 05:52 AM
Guys, guys. Do you think there's religious references in Shin Megami Tensei? I think there's religious references in Shin Megami Tensei.

Scale of Judgment
Jun 13, 2014, 06:16 AM
Guys, guys. Do you think there's religious references in Shin Megami Tensei? I think there's religious references in Shin Megami Tensei.

That's about as absurd about that being in Neo Genesis Evangelion...

SakuRei
Jun 13, 2014, 06:19 AM
This kinda interests me actually, since hey, Falz Angel IS like a False/Fallen Angel plus with the Dark element/eerie look and all. Plus Falz Luther/Loser looks like a Fallen Priest/Bishop for me and it's kinda cool in some way.

*interest meter going high*

Chik'Tikka
Jun 13, 2014, 04:30 PM
and that infected oracle ship... it has 6 red wings around it, if you watch the CG at the start of luther or your first run in the new LQ+^_^+

I just don't remember PSU dipping into western religion quite as much (if at all) so i became a little interested about it+^_^+

Renvalt
Jun 13, 2014, 07:16 PM
One of my team mates, Naroji, sent a mail to everyone on his views about Luther+^_^+

this is of course if you want to count Luther as being another name for Lucifer...

considering this, PSO2 seems to be a bit more "christian" then past PS titles in that regard and i was wondering what everyone else thought? +^_^+

Would you kindly tell Naroji not to take words that aren't his own and claim that they are?

To summarize: On Crysteon's upload of the Falz Angel theme, that quote can be seen by someone named "AshramAstarcia".

There's another etymological reference in the use of Luther>Loser/Angel.

Lucifer is sometimes depicted as a six-winged angel in his pre-fallen angel incarnation. When he fought against the armies of heaven to conquer them, he lost and was condemned to eternity in the pits of hell.

Falz Angel could then be read as "False Angel". The Oracle that he took over then becomes "Falz Oracle" - read it as "False Oracle" and you get "False Prophet".

I tell ya, Book of Revelations has a lot of good shit in it.

Minus that end quote referencing the Book of Revelations, word for word your friend just copy-pasted my words and is somehow taking credit for them as his own.

To put it blunt: That AshramAstarcia person is me. That's my Youtube channel. I don't know how people didn't realize that (or had somehow forgotten), but for some reason I just got an easy pass for people to pretend like I somehow don't exist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he can't have the same views, but his mail said exactly word for word what I did on that Youtube video (and for reference, look here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-y-No93OTE) - the message is a reply to a comment made third from the top) minus one. That's not bad, per se, that's just pure lazy that he couldn't say it in his own way.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 14, 2014, 03:00 AM
hmm, well ok then, op updated+^_^+

Renvalt
Jun 14, 2014, 10:39 AM
hmm, well ok then, op updated+^_^+

Thanks much. Much thanks.